Blue Bombers Forum
August 12, 2020, 08:27:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on a Reduced Season  (Read 4573 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2020, 03:08:42 AM »

From 3down: Ambrosie extended it to next week again.  BDC loan is out, they want high interest.  Maybe some other govt backed loan possible.

So basically in more dire straits than when we started the week.

Looks like the feds are content to let it wither on the vine and be the first govt in about 100 years to watch the GC not be awarded.

Never go full Rider!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2020, 03:25:41 AM »

League issues statement regarding what is 'best for CFL in 2020' - July 31, 2020

TORONTO - The Canadian Football League issued the following statement Friday afternoon.

The statement reads as follows:

"We appreciate the intense interest in our league and whether we will play a shortened season this Fall.

At this time, we continue to work with all of our key stakeholders to determine what is best for the CFL in 2020 and for our long term future. We will update the media and public as we move forward.

We thank everyone, especially our players, partners and fans, for their patience, passion for our game and support for our league."

Just over a week ago, the league announced that it had decided on Winnipeg as its tentative Hub City, should a shortened season be played this year.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
bluebeard

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »

Is this the beginning of the end of the CFL as we know it?  Can a league be started with just Western Canadian teams, with a different format, shortened season and mostly Canadian players as it once was?  Will fans support such a league?  Seems to me that we have out lived the "keeping up with the Jones" theory.

No football leagues are able to spend as they want and survive...except the NFL.
 Huh
Can we go back to the basics to survive?
Donny C

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2020, 02:28:10 PM »

bang on, half hearted effort by all parties, can't be surprised nothing was resolved. The league went from talks of expansion in Halifax, to is Toronto, Montreal and BC going to make it, 2 clubs can't draw flies and one was so bad, trying to get a new ownership group and over the cap last season, concerning times indeed. We'll see how this plays out but i must say it doesn't look very bright right now

Toronto has the highers tv ratings, or so I have been told.
Blue In BC

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2020, 02:40:06 PM »

Is this the beginning of the end of the CFL as we know it?  Can a league be started with just Western Canadian teams, with a different format, shortened season and mostly Canadian players as it once was?  Will fans support such a league?  Seems to me that we have out lived the "keeping up with the Jones" theory.

No football leagues are able to spend as they want and survive...except the NFL.
 Huh
Can we go back to the basics to survive?

IMO a team with " mostly " Canadian players would fail. It essentially becomes university football and fans don't support that very well now.

This could be the end of the current CFL as we know it though. What it will look like in 2021 is difficult to know at the moment.

Whether that means folding and starting again with a new CBA / SMS, ratio and roster changes might be part of the solution.

Starting from scratch with every player becoming a free agent is a terrifying thought. It's not like there are many playing options for CFL players. High end players might see salaries forced downwards on a lower SMS.

Bombers already have their work cut out for them in 2021 with 36 or so potential free agents. Some of those are players like Antigua on 1 year deals that have yet to play. However, projected to make the roster.

Nearly our entire OL and receiver group are in the potential free agent group.

All of that is even before and new reshaping of the CFL.

None of that is a pretty thought going into next year.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:48:56 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
DM83

« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2020, 07:46:54 PM »

It's a brave new world.
Break up the Bombers, they are too good.

All teams will be in the same boat ....so it could result in super fan interest as potentially all those players  can move.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2020, 11:18:55 PM »

This is really sad as we waiting so long for this team to gel and now it's pretty much back to square one, the wait was worth the cup but I wanted a couple.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
buckzumhoff

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2020, 02:20:30 AM »

Teams like the bombers and saskatchewan should not help out Toronto or Montreal. And if the league folds. Well maybe they can find a way to start up without these teams and either expand to cities where they will make it on their own. Since the govt only helps out businesses who can get  money for a 15 per cent drop in business.  Yet cfl gets offered a high interest rate loan.  .
Blue In BC

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »

Teams like the bombers and saskatchewan should not help out Toronto or Montreal. And if the league folds. Well maybe they can find a way to start up without these teams and either expand to cities where they will make it on their own. Since the govt only helps out businesses who can get  money for a 15 per cent drop in business.  Yet cfl gets offered a high interest rate loan.  .

Relating a sports business to a restaurant, tourism, travel, retail or other year round businesses is not a fair comment as it relates to the gov't spending.

No more excuses.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2020, 01:46:08 PM »

Relating a sports business to a restaurant, tourism, travel, retail or other year round businesses is not a fair comment as it relates to the gov't spending.

The government makes money off sports. Alot of people are employed.   Why did  the government invest in building BC Place .?  If sports drops off any more I think Roger's and Shaw also will see alot more cancellations. Who gets the tax money from sporting events.?
Blue In BC

« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2020, 02:12:58 PM »

The government makes money off sports. Alot of people are employed.   Why did  the government invest in building BC Place .?  If sports drops off any more I think Roger's and Shaw also will see alot more cancellations. Who gets the tax money from sporting events.?

Of course the gov't makes money from sports and there is significant trickle down effect.

From a priority point of view it's on the bottom rung of importance IMO.  There are any number of social issues that need money of much greater importance. Homelessness, poverty, drug problems and health coverage etc. Minimum wage job issues which lead to many of the problems listed above.

Where do you want to draw the line? The recent outcry in both Canada and USA is for greater spending and resources for mental health care. I'm all for that.

I'm a lifelong CFL fan but I think your comment was overly bias. Not many businesses I can think of that have only suffered a 15% loss of business getting gov't support.

Walk the streets or malls in any city and you will see permanent closures of long established businesses. Others operating at 50% capacity if they're lucky.

It's a serious time. Blaming the gov't?

You mentioned Rogers. A billion dollar entity. Let them loan the CFL $40M to protect their investment.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 02:16:48 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
DM83

« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2020, 03:16:05 PM »

That's a great idea.  Would a business like Rogers loan the CFL all that money to carry the league over and maintain its operational possibility?

That's beyond my understanding.

That's a lot of faith.  Has it ever been done before?

What is the figure?
Maybe. Just ask Manitoba?  Our. Provincial government "loans" the Bimbers all kinds of money.  A lot more than $42 million. Then forgives the loan.

Yo Mama. The CFL has been barking up the wrong tree.
So why wouldn't Trudeau cough up that amount.  Didn't he almost pay his Momma and his brother that amount for those inexplicably stupid "we" events?"

Bottom line - Feds should cough it up, at a rate acceptable to the CFL?  I mean just bring one more tin to the bin."

There was a comment about playing in BC place.  That's a good idea.....wherever a hub is, would make it work.
But let's get started.
Blue In BC

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »

I didn't mind the objection about the gov't not helping out. It was only the characterization with the 15% comment which seemed overly bias.

Yes provincial and / or municipal  gov'ts could / should support some sports in some way. It's not an easy decision on where to draw the line.

CFL is a relatively low salary structure. OTOH, Mike Reilly earns $700K.

Would fans be as willing to see government support for the NHL which has a much higher level of salary structure.

I made the comment about BC Place early in the game and more recently when an Oct 6 start date was suggested.

In general I had said you could play an entire CFL season in BC starting on any date, eliminating weather essentially as an issue.

There are many other factors which might make it a bad decision but that's another argument.

My suggestion about Rogers or even possibly TSN is worth consideration/ discussion. Hypothetically a reduction in broadcast revenue to offset the loan should work.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:30:51 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
bigmoopie

« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »

I think it would be difficult for governments to provide funding to privately owned teams. I think if all teams were non-profit publically owned teams funding would be easier.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »

I think it would be difficult for governments to provide funding to privately owned teams. I think if all teams were non-profit publically owned teams funding would be easier.

A critical factor.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: