Blue Bombers Forum
October 21, 2020, 12:58:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on a Reduced Season [UPD: 2020 Season Officially Cancelled]  (Read 10321 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »

Well that's that then.  CFL/TSN need a way to sweeten the $$ deal, or the feds need to chip in.

The players have been quick to shoot down the proposed $$, but have any said exactly what it will take?  Do they want half their normal?  Two-thirds?  All of it?  What precisely do they think is fair or "worth it"?

Surely if we can come up with half salary for them to play just 6 measly games then we can get the players on board?  Surely they don't want full salary??

Surely the GLOB requirement will have to either be set to 2019 levels, or if the GLOBs can't get here at all then eliminate GLOBs and make them NATs, as you said.  Or give the teams a choice: NAT or GLOB, to fill the 1-2 GLOB spots.

One would think the playoff/GC money would remain the same.  If anything, I'd increase it.  There needs to be an incentive for them to come up here and play their butts off for 6 games to vie for the playoff money.  I see no reason at all why you'd decrease it.

No semis seems a bit weird.  I guess you either go 4 teams in playoffs straight to the "divisionals" (but probably without divisions), or 6 teams in with semis then divisionals.

No way.  That detracts from the history and lineage of the GC.  Surely in the 107 year GC history there has to be other instances of shortened or otherwise strange seasons?

I'd say the most important symbolic part of a 2020 season would be the Grey Cup!

A 6 game season is not a Grey Cup season. Lineage is irrelevant.

How can you increase the payout for playoffs when revenue is gone?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:24:16 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2020, 05:17:32 PM »

But that is what's on the line the, GC. Weather it's 6 games or 18. The CFL will award the GC and in a few no will really care if it was 6 or 18 games.
dd

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »

The economics involved in a shortened season with drastically reduced paying customers doesn?t work, and the federal government isn t going to throw money at this, so this whole notion of a shortened season isn?t going to happen.
DM83

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2020, 05:36:58 AM »

Huh?
Obviously it would be a shortened season
Obviously player salaries would be. A percentage of regular
Obviously teams would have significant challenges to raise revenue.

But get creative?
Could TSM suspend this years rights?
Could they create a temporary situation to create a " pay-per-view"?
Could or would owners and. Corporate owners sustain. A loss of revenue but be able to manage it?

How about a split Season. 8'games now and 8'games in April/May?
Suggest some way to make,it,work.
It's simple. Find a way, and do you want it?

How much. Do ya. Want it?
buckzumhoff

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2020, 11:54:18 AM »

Id like to see them play 8 games. Would be half  a season. Play in to November .
TBURGESS

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »

Pay per view would make TSN less money than the current system because the number of people who would actually pay wouldn't be interesting to the advertisers and that's where TSN makes it's money.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2020, 03:17:49 PM »

Id like to see them play 8 games. Would be half  a season. Play in to November .

Half of 18 is 9, not 8.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
dd

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »

Huh?
Obviously it would be a shortened season
Obviously player salaries would be. A percentage of regular
Obviously teams would have significant challenges to raise revenue.

But get creative?
Could TSM suspend this years rights?
Could they create a temporary situation to create a " pay-per-view"?
Could or would owners and. Corporate owners sustain. A loss of revenue but be able to manage it?

How about a split Season. 8'games now and 8'games in April/May?
Suggest some way to make,it,work.
It's simple. Find a way, and do you want it?

How much. Do ya. Want it?
I don?t think enough people want it and economically it doesn?t make sense, therefore won?t happen.
DM83

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2020, 07:18:25 PM »

DD ... Debbie. Downer?

How much do ya want it to happen?
How does one make it happen?

By saying I cant?
No...find alternatives or ways to make it happen.

So easy to say, it won't happen.
Why is there increasing talk of an available vaccine increasing every day?
Is that because it " won't happen"

No, make it happen....
dd

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »

Taking a realistic view of the world and the associated Poor economics of a shortened season doesn?t make someone a Debbie downer, it makes them a realist. I prefer to live in the real world, not some fantasy where you say make it happen and it will. Players aren?t going to risk their health, play for peanuts and get no pension out of it. There is the revenue streams to make it economically viable without a ton of government money and that?s not happening. Scream all you want from your soap box, but until you come up with solutions to the obstacles stalling the process, and I don?t see anything being thrown out there, it ain?t gonna happen.
mondo3

« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2020, 11:14:32 PM »

I wonder what the real final date would be for a limited season start? There has to be some actual cutoff point
dd

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2020, 01:56:14 AM »

This Friday July 31 is the date I ve seen as the deadline
DM83

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2020, 02:46:47 AM »

Double D,

With that Kind of attitude there would be no mom and pop restaurants. 
If all you are doing is looking at this as a one year operation, then you are desperate to make your sad point.

I would guess many businesses that have the balls to not quit, expect it won't be all that profitable on the day they open.  However, once the economy gets back in its feet, the supply and demand will increase.

Now,  as only 3/9 teams are not privately owned, those others have been operating at a loss for many years, already.  I guess it would be safe to say the others, are so good at surviving and have massive fan support, they can survive this ordeal.

And. For sure cultural Icons, such as. The Bombers and Riders will surely get money from their governments in the future.  So........how does it not work? Do you and Braley really think the public would let the oldest football league on the planet die?  Dude!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:48:47 AM by DM83 » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »

Double D,

With that Kind of attitude there would be no mom and pop restaurants. 
If all you are doing is looking at this as a one year operation, then you are desperate to make your sad point.

I would guess many businesses that have the balls to not quit, expect it won't be all that profitable on the day they open.  However, once the economy gets back in its feet, the supply and demand will increase.

Now,  as only 3/9 teams are not privately owned, those others have been operating at a loss for many years, already.  I guess it would be safe to say the others, are so good at surviving and have massive fan support, they can survive this ordeal.

And. For sure cultural Icons, such as. The Bombers and Riders will surely get money from their governments in the future.  So........how does it not work? Do you and Braley really think the public would let the oldest football league on the planet die?  Dude!

Tried to respond to this but my head exploded a few times.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2020, 03:24:43 PM »

MLB tried to operate without isolating their players in a bubble and it only took 3 days for a COVID break out to occur.

"On Sunday the Coronavirus Hotspot Marlins played the third game of their season in Philadelphia against the Phillies. They took the field despite reports of four positive COVID tests among players ? though nothing was confirmed officially ? and then manager Don Mattingly said the team would stay in Philadelphia overnight rather than return home to Miami as scheduled. Again, while nothing was formally confirmed, the clear implication was that the COVID Epicentre Marlins were waiting on more test results."

"By Monday morning, the disaster scenario: ESPN reported that another 10 Marlins players and staff had tested positive for the virus, and the team?s scheduled game against the Baltimore Orioles was cancelled. Philadelphia?s Monday game against the New York Yankees, who would have used the same locker room at Citizens Bank Park that the Marlins just departed, has also been postponed."

"It was always possible that Major League Baseball?s relatively lax plan would blow up in its face this spectacularly, but that it happened quite so soon is a surprise. All the problems that were identified weeks ago, when MLB hurriedly threw together a 60-game schedule bereft of any kind of safety bubble like those deployed by the NBA, NHL and MLS, have quickly come to pass."

"Baseball players are free to roam around in the wild, which is a particular issue in places like Miami, presently home to one of the highest rates of new coronavirus infections in the developed world."

https://nationalpost.com/sports/baseball/scott-stinson-miami-marlins-covid-19-outbreak-shows-major-league-baseballs-astonishing-lack-of-foresight/wcm/cb44712a-96b6-408c-9acd-3731315e24a0/

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: