Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2020, 03:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on a Reduced Season [UPD: 2020 Season Officially Cancelled]  (Read 10395 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2020, 12:57:21 PM »

Not every person knows they have a pre-existing condition. Some that gets sick but survive may have lifelong negative health issues.

Just saying that a young group of athletes are essentially not at risk is incorrect. We've seen all sorts of young people attending parties, bars etc get sick and die.  What about the older coaches and support people that are needed for football?

The desire for sports or entertainment can have fatal consequences.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »

Player A get covid so they take him out of the bubble for 14 days. The rest of the players get tested and you wait for the results to find out if any of them are infected. In the meantime, they are inside the bubble and can pass it on. The current tests don't show as positive during the incubation period, so players in that situation will test negative despite having Covid.

Setting the bar for OK to death is kinda troubling too.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
TBURGESS

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »

#CFL players overwhelmingly reject most recent financial proposal for shortened 2020 season https://3downnation.com/2020/07/23/cfl-players-overwhelmingly-reject-most-recent-financial-proposal-for-shortened-2020-season/ #CFLPA #COVID19 #Canada

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »

#CFL players overwhelmingly reject most recent financial proposal for shortened 2020 season https://3downnation.com/2020/07/23/cfl-players-overwhelmingly-reject-most-recent-financial-proposal-for-shortened-2020-season/ #CFLPA #COVID19 #Canada

No surprise. A six game season makes no sense for most players financially.
Blue In BC

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2020, 01:45:43 PM »

Not a surprise. CFL salary structures are not like the other pro leagues where millions of $$ are involved.

The risk / reward factor is something plays will look at when making a decision. For many on ELC contracts they may have career opportunity out of football that will earn them more.

No more excuses.
Donny C

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2020, 02:58:45 PM »

I would guess that many WPG Blue Bomber players would be interested in playing with the chance to defend the Cup at home!
blue_or_die

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2020, 03:24:57 PM »

I would guess that many WPG Blue Bomber players would be interested in playing with the chance to defend the Cup at home!

Maybe the ones from here...

If I was a 24 year old guy from Alabama and you threw a few grand at me (after taxes and exchange rate) to live in a dorm in Winnipeg for months straight and have no other life, and play during the coldest part of the season for the chance to win a championship in front of an empty or near empty stadium that would have an asterisk beside it, I would laugh at it.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Waffler

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2020, 03:37:53 PM »

Maybe the ones from here...

If I was a 24 year old guy from Alabama and you threw a few grand at me (after taxes and exchange rate) to live in a dorm in Winnipeg for months straight and have no other life, and play during the coldest part of the season for the chance to win a championship in front of an empty or near empty stadium that would have an asterisk beside it, I would laugh at it.

Unless you want to extend your football career. What he does get is some film and a chance at an NFL workout this winter. Otherwise it is likely over. Up to each guy to figure out for himself.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2020, 03:55:15 PM »

Unless you want to extend your football career. What he does get is some film and a chance at an NFL workout this winter. Otherwise it is likely over. Up to each guy to figure out for himself.

I don't think the possibility of 6 games of tape is all that enticing.  Firstly, there is no guarantee they even make the team or get past the practice roster.  Secondly, all these guys have already had NFL eyes on them, it is going to take more than 6 games in a goofy season to change that evaluation.  It's guys like Sayles, Bighill, Rose who put up 2 or more solid seasons that get looks.

For the older guys, if they haven't gotten their shot by now, they probably won't.  For the younger guys, missing 2020 and trying to make a 2021 roster really doesn't diminish their chances. 

Players want to play, but to be on 15 week lockdown for next to no money, at an increased risk for exposure to the virus, it's hard to see a large uptake. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »

A couple of rhetorical comments / thoughts:

1. We haven't had a global draft. Existing players on rosters might not be available from Europe. There might be a need to modify the roster make up for 2020 if any games are to be played. Simplest way might be to add another Canadian for either or both of the global players if they aren't available. Ditto for PR rosters.

2. Somebody mentioned ELC imports only earning $10K usd. 1/3 of $65K cad is more than $10K usd. There is also TC money, and potential playoff money. I haven't heard whether the play off money is being decreased specifically. I have heard suggestions of no semi final?

3. Any championship team isn't really going to be a Grey Cup team. I'd re-name the game:
    a. 1st Responder Bowl
    b. Covid 19 Bowl
    c. Survival Bowl
    d. Other?

4. NFL just eliminated all pre season games. Also reduced TC roster from 90 to 80. That may or may not impact those CFL players trying to gain a roster spot. So that's something to watch as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:11:57 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2020, 04:13:50 PM »

At the end of the day, money talks. More than a chance to have film or an outside shot at a NFL workout.

This whole situation is disastrous for a league like the CFL.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
DM83

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2020, 04:48:55 PM »

No it's not.
The NFL decision to. Have no training Camp exhibition games is a killer for young players.  Even out Bomber stars trying out might be out, real quick.
Therefore the CFL for a couple months let's the guys get film.  And you don't need a season worth of games. Actually, film. From one, Game could get a prospect a look.
 But no film, less likely.
Most of the Americans. Coming up would be long shot. Guys anyway. Young guys coming up for a few months, keep on partying, sharing a house..

Of course the Covid problem prevails and must be dealt with in all cases.
the paw

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »

A couple of rhetorical comments / thoughts:

2. Somebody mentioned ELC imports only earning $10K usd. 1/3 of $65K cad is more than $10K usd. There is also TC money, and potential playoff money. I haven't heard whether the play off money is being decreased specifically. I have heard suggestions of no semi final?

I think the math is one third of $65k is about $22k, but after CFLPA dues and tax withholding, the player take home is nearer $12k, which after conversion to USD becomes $9k.   That was from a player twitter feed, so it may not be precise. 

I really haven't read anything about what the CFL proposal said about playoff compensation, so I don't know if we can assume much of anything there. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue_or_die

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »

No it's not.
The NFL decision to. Have no training Camp exhibition games is a killer for young players.  Even out Bomber stars trying out might be out, real quick.
Therefore the CFL for a couple months let's the guys get film.  And you don't need a season worth of games. Actually, film. From one, Game could get a prospect a look.
 But no film, less likely.
Most of the Americans. Coming up would be long shot. Guys anyway. Young guys coming up for a few months, keep on partying, sharing a house..

Of course the Covid problem prevails and must be dealt with in all cases.

Huh

Cheesy

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TecnoGenius

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2020, 05:12:56 AM »

Well that's that then.  CFL/TSN need a way to sweeten the $$ deal, or the feds need to chip in.

The players have been quick to shoot down the proposed $$, but have any said exactly what it will take?  Do they want half their normal?  Two-thirds?  All of it?  What precisely do they think is fair or "worth it"?

Surely if we can come up with half salary for them to play just 6 measly games then we can get the players on board?  Surely they don't want full salary??

1. We haven't had a global draft. Existing players on rosters might not be available from Europe. There might be a need to modify the roster make up for 2020 if any games are to be played. Simplest way might be to add another Canadian for either or both of the global players if they aren't available. Ditto for PR rosters.

Surely the GLOB requirement will have to either be set to 2019 levels, or if the GLOBs can't get here at all then eliminate GLOBs and make them NATs, as you said.  Or give the teams a choice: NAT or GLOB, to fill the 1-2 GLOB spots.

One would think the playoff/GC money would remain the same.  If anything, I'd increase it.  There needs to be an incentive for them to come up here and play their butts off for 6 games to vie for the playoff money.  I see no reason at all why you'd decrease it.

No semis seems a bit weird.  I guess you either go 4 teams in playoffs straight to the "divisionals" (but probably without divisions), or 6 teams in with semis then divisionals.

3. Any championship team isn't really going to be a Grey Cup team. I'd re-name the game:
    a. 1st Responder Bowl
    b. Covid 19 Bowl
    c. Survival Bowl
    d. Other?

No way.  That detracts from the history and lineage of the GC.  Surely in the 107 year GC history there has to be other instances of shortened or otherwise strange seasons?

I'd say the most important symbolic part of a 2020 season would be the Grey Cup!

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: