Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2020, 03:16:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on a Reduced Season [UPD: 2020 Season Officially Cancelled]  (Read 10394 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »

I look at it like this, if the NHL can pull it off, so can the CFL. The NHL has pull players in from all over the world. Ambroise needs to work a lot harder to get this done. Right now he is just happy collecting that big fat pay cheque.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »

Ambrose way over paid. Like him but really. 750 k yo work in a office for a league that's hurting financially.  Start the games and get it going. Okay it week by week ABC things might open more. I think baseball might see fans later in the season in major league baseball if numbers go down. But with Trump. If he's out by November might see fans in December
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »

I look at it like this, if the NHL can pull it off, so can the CFL. The NHL has pull players in from all over the world. Ambroise needs to work a lot harder to get this done. Right now he is just happy collecting that big fat pay cheque.

The NHL has billionaire owners and TV contracts to collect revenue on. The biggest problem isn't logistics I don't think, but rather how to run the league in a revenue positive way while having the reduce attendance anywhere from half to zero.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue_or_die

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »

Ambrose way over paid. Like him but really. 750 k yo work in a office for a league that's hurting financially.  Start the games and get it going. Okay it week by week ABC things might open more. I think baseball might see fans later in the season in major league baseball if numbers go down. But with Trump. If he's out by November might see fans in December

You think Trump is the roadblock to allowing fans in the stands? If anything, he's enabling things to go on as if everything's OK..

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »

The NHL has billionaire owners and TV contracts to collect revenue on. The biggest problem isn't logistics I don't think, but rather how to run the league in a revenue positive way while having the reduce attendance anywhere from half to zero.

Not only that. Players earn so much more that it's more incentive to play even with risks. That's not true in the CFL.

No more excuses.
DM83

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2020, 06:43:24 PM »

I doubt the CFL has a savings account. I doubt they do not get anywhere near break even unless there is a 20 game season.  They rely on filling stadiums.

In a reality sense, it may be more financially feasible to cancel this season, and just pack it up until next year. Let's hope some of those young men put their McDonalds training to good use.
Pigskin

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2020, 02:29:39 AM »

Well it's nice to see Manitoba throwing 2.5 million at the CFL to be the Hub City. Sask. threw 3 million but they also have over 600 more cases of covid and a small population.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2020, 02:54:37 AM »

Well it's nice to see Manitoba throwing 2.5 million at the CFL to be the Hub City. Sask. threw 3 million but they also have over 600 more cases of covid and a small population.
Very encouraging. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2020, 10:37:38 AM »

How can you play a six game season and then award the grey cup? I want the CFL back as much as anyone but that's a really stupid proposal. Makes no sense for anyone. If the option is six game season or cancelled season, I'll take the cancelled season.

Not sure how you can be an uberfan and say that?  6 games + playoffs + GC sounds perfectly acceptable to me.  Each team just doesn't play two from the other division.  Pick the two at random to make it fair.

They need to play to show they can do it, to keep hype and visibility up, to give themselves a reason for existing the rest of the year, and to allow players to play out their contracts in the year printed on them.  It also would be a huge boost for Canadian morale during these tough times.

And what if there's no change in the virus by summer 2021?  It's entirely possible, you know.  Do we cancel then too?  No, you play with what you got, you find solutions, and you make it work.  Now this is why Ambrosie makes the big bucks... get it done big man!

Japan is hosting a sumo wrestling tournament

That's the most important news of the bunch!  Wink  Talk about a full-contact sport.  (Makes me think of Austin Powers.)

Never go full Rider!
DM83

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 07:57:09 PM »

Techno
Awesome points of view.
Make it work!
Make it positive.

Wade and Pallister boldly going where no man has gone before?
No risk, no reward.

Let's take a calculated gamble, make adjustments when needed.m take a leadership position!  Good for them!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 08:08:39 PM »

Not sure how you can be an uberfan and say that?  6 games + playoffs + GC sounds perfectly acceptable to me.  Each team just doesn't play two from the other division.  Pick the two at random to make it fair.

They need to play to show they can do it, to keep hype and visibility up, to give themselves a reason for existing the rest of the year, and to allow players to play out their contracts in the year printed on them.  It also would be a huge boost for Canadian morale during these tough times.

And what if there's no change in the virus by summer 2021?  It's entirely possible, you know.  Do we cancel then too?  No, you play with what you got, you find solutions, and you make it work.  Now this is why Ambrosie makes the big bucks... get it done big man!

That's the most important news of the bunch!  Wink  Talk about a full-contact sport.  (Makes me think of Austin Powers.)

A six game season is not really "acceptable". It might be the only games we're allowed to play this year but it's not going to produce a real Grey Cup winner. It's more like a mini tournament where they give out the regular trophy at the end. You'll probably end up with a bunch of tied teams for playoff positioning (4-2, 3-3, 2-4).

Quality of play will be laking considering there will be no pre-season and a shortened training camp. We'll see basic football and since most games will be played outside in cooler weather, teams will focus on ground games with less sizzle. It's all they're really going to have time to install.

Then there's the economics. You'll need a bunch more government support to make this happen. As already stated, anyone on minimum contracts from the US (a substantial number of players) are going to walk away with very little compensation.

I don't really think it's going to produce a "huge boost in Canadian morale" however you quantify that. Games will be played in one place, likely without fans. For CFL fans it will be nice to see some CFL football on TV, but beyond that, it's not a unifying experience for the country.

Is it better than nothing? I'm not so sure. Instead of throwing a bunch of CFL and government money (and time and energy) at playing this year (considering the points above), I'd rather they put it towards a more substantial kick start next year. Marketing. Bands. Etc. We may need the extra money to play next year too. Perhaps two teams have to share a stadium due to a second wave outbreak in a city? The "we need to play at all costs this year" is short-sighted, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:11:07 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
DM83

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »

TSN. Just announced Winnipeg. Given tentative approval  as Hub. City. For season start in Sept.

Let's go!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2020, 08:45:34 PM »

Exciting news for the city, the league, and the fans. Good progress!

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/07/21/winnipeg-tentatively-chosen-hub-city-2020-season/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:54:01 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Donny C

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2020, 09:00:42 PM »

When is the CBA set to expire?

Setting up a hub city was the first step in renewing the CBA.
DM83

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2020, 09:54:14 PM »

Sir Blue and Gold how is it you are always so negative? 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: