Blue Bombers Forum
August 12, 2020, 08:10:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on a Reduced Season  (Read 4568 times)
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2020, 01:49:50 PM »

Well the negotiation was extended to this week. It's Friday and all I hear is crickets. Sad

I wasn't expecting success but the lingering false hope is like a wound not healing.

Can we make a final decision and put this to rest?

In 2020? No such thing as a final decision on anything... Well, maybe one thing: 2020 blows.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Blue In BC

« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »

I've read that some NFL players that have opted out of the 2020 season are hearing backlash from some fans.

Fans need to give their heads a shake. It's up to the individual players to determine whether to play or not.

Laurent Duvernay Tardif a Canadian OL for Kansas City has opted out of the season giving up a $2.75M 2020 contact.

He is a doctor that has chosen to work in Canadian health care putting himself at a greater risk than playing football. I don't know what his medical earnings will be but I doubt they are on the same planet as his football income.

Other players have underlying medical conditions of family issues - pregnant wife, small children, aging parents for example.

There is more to life decisions than just football. Kudos to those players that choose to not put football above other considerations of family.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:09:33 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »

Ok, starting in Winnipeg in October is stupid.
They d be starting in Vancouver in October, which is doable, and following the model used by the nhl?creating a bubble to aid in controlling virus. But it?s not going to happen anywhere, the economics say the 2020 cfl season is done
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »

They d be starting in Vancouver in October, which is doable, and following the model used by the nhl?creating a bubble to aid in controlling virus. But it?s not going to happen anywhere, the economics say the 2020 cfl season is done

I doubt they could organize the switch in locations in time for Christmas considering how long it's taking them to get all parties to agree to the Wpg. hub concept.   Hell, I'd be happy to see an abbreviated 2020 season played indoors in Vancouver starting in Jan. or Feb....but at that point, what's the point?
Donny C

« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »

David Naylor reporting, "Sources say the federal government has offered to help the
@CFL
 with a short-term loan, at a high interest rate and fees. League believes taking that kind of loan would put them in a worse position going forward. #CFL
11:59 AM "

My take on this, It's politics, make no mistake about it!

It's a way for them to say that they offered help and that the help was decline.
Stretch

« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »

I've read that some NFL players that have opted out of the 2020 season are hearing backlash from some fans.

Fans need to give their heads a shake. It's up to the individual players to determine whether to play or not.

Laurent Duvernay Tardif a Canadian OL for Kansas City has opted out of the season giving up a $2.75M 2020 contact.

He is a doctor that has chosen to work in Canadian health care putting himself at a greater risk than playing football. I don't know what his medical earnings will be but I doubt they are on the same planet as his football income.

Other players have underlying medical conditions of family issues - pregnant wife, small children, aging parents for example.

There is more to life decisions than just football. Kudos to those players that choose to not put football above other considerations of family.

If I'm not mistaken, NFL players that opt out are still getting paid something like $150K. And yeah, what's with fans slamming them for making that decision to sit it out? Not cool.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, NFL players that opt out are still getting paid something like $150K. And yeah, what's with fans slamming them for making that decision to sit it out? Not cool.

They're fans but also crappy, selfish, inconsiderate humans who lack empathy and compassion.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Blue In BC

« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »

Some with underlying conditions will get $350K usd. IIRC it's essentially an advance against the 2021 salary. Regardless, fans should have no issue with any player sitting out IMO.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2020, 05:31:23 PM »

Imagine the player attrition if there is no 2020 season, I would guestomate 20-25% of American players on rosters last season move on with life and don't come back for 2021.  Want to talk about holes in a roster, It'll be like 2013 all over again!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »

Per Dave Naylor on Twitter: Sources say the federal government has offered to help the @CFL with a short-term loan, at a high interest rate and fees. League believes taking that kind of loan would put them in a worse position going forward. #CFL

There is probably not going to be a 2020 season if that's the best the feds can do. Meanwhile, they keep throwing money around to help out all the other industries affected by this pandemic.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Pigskin

« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2020, 06:02:39 PM »

Well, it doesn't look like anyone will have to worry about seating.
Blue In BC

« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »

Imagine the player attrition if there is no 2020 season, I would guestomate 20-25% of American players on rosters last season move on with life and don't come back for 2021.  Want to talk about holes in a roster, It'll be like 2013 all over again!

IIRC the Bombers have about 37 potential free agents going into 2021. That includes Canadians and Imports.

If there is no 2020 season then depth created during TC or on PR's that might become rostered players in 2021 goes to zero. Turnover could be massive going into 2021.

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2020, 08:11:54 PM »

I doubt they could organize the switch in locations in time for Christmas considering how long it's taking them to get all parties to agree to the Wpg. hub concept.   Hell, I'd be happy to see an abbreviated 2020 season played indoors in Vancouver starting in Jan. or Feb....but at that point, what's the point?
You?re right, at this point in time, there is no point, the feds aren?t bailing them out, so there will be no 2020 season. Bank on it
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:59:11 AM by dd » Logged
BlueInCgy

« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »

It's unfortunate that it appears to have been posturing by all sides with the common expectation not to succeed

The League - "Unless players salaries are renegotiated and the Government helps us out, no season"

The Feds - "We didn't not offer to help, they just wanted a deal we weren't willing to make."

The Players - "We can't accept the kind of renegotiation the league want."

Anyways, hopefully it's put to rest quickly now and we can all stop wondering about 2020.  Whether or not the league exists in 2021 and what those teams look like is another problem all together, and I guess we'll find out over the next few months if the CFL fields any teams in the future, how many teams there will be, and where.
dd

« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2020, 02:05:06 AM »

bang on, half hearted effort by all parties, can't be surprised nothing was resolved. The league went from talks of expansion in Halifax, to is Toronto, Montreal and BC going to make it, 2 clubs can't draw flies and one was so bad, trying to get a new ownership group and over the cap last season, concerning times indeed. We'll see how this plays out but i must say it doesn't look very bright right now
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: