Blue Bombers Forum
October 23, 2020, 10:03:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on a Reduced Season [UPD: 2020 Season Officially Cancelled]  (Read 10460 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: July 16, 2020, 04:32:07 AM »

Information on what is being proposed for the revised CFL season is slowly coming out:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tony washington
@t_dubsworld12
 ? Jul 14
Just what I thought... cfl waited till the last min to give us a deadline to decide on a ******** return to play scenario and when we dont agree its our fault!
..... for rookie Americans  33% of 64k is 21k after taxes 14k after conversion to states 9k...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind it's one person's take, it hasn't been confirmed, it's an American's point of view on an American's situation.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:25:16 PM by Jets » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 07:53:17 AM »

That would be 6 games.  I assume no bye, so that's 6 weeks of work (maybe +2 weeks preseason/camps/etc).  If a US player doesn't like it, they don't have to show up for it.  I'm not saying he doesn't have a point, but if CFL is going to happen everyone will have to make sacrifices: players some of their $$, maybe fans their favored seat, etc.  It sucks for everyone, but major suckage, to me, is still better than no CFL.

The "big" players will still show as they get their big signing and roster bonuses regardless of game count.  If the US ELC's don't bother to show, then all the more room for NATs and undrafted Canadians who otherwise wouldn't get on a team or see the field.

Don't forget, I'm pretty sure the playoff and GC money would still be the same, and with that being an even larger percentage of total salary it should up the competition level something fierce.  Non-star GC winners could double their 2020 salary.

Never go full Rider!
Waffler

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 12:20:33 PM »

6 games? No way to schedule that fairly.

The money is weak but it is still pro ball. And the main advantage to an American, they get on film and the NFL possibilities that could follow that. Every guy will have to weigh it out and decide for himself if he plays.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:25:31 PM »

That would be 6 games.  I assume no bye, so that's 6 weeks of work (maybe +2 weeks preseason/camps/etc).  If a US player doesn't like it, they don't have to show up for it.  I'm not saying he doesn't have a point, but if CFL is going to happen everyone will have to make sacrifices: players some of their $$, maybe fans their favored seat, etc.  It sucks for everyone, but major suckage, to me, is still better than no CFL.

The "big" players will still show as they get their big signing and roster bonuses regardless of game count.  If the US ELC's don't bother to show, then all the more room for NATs and undrafted Canadians who otherwise wouldn't get on a team or see the field.

Don't forget, I'm pretty sure the playoff and GC money would still be the same, and with that being an even larger percentage of total salary it should up the competition level something fierce.  Non-star GC winners could double their 2020 salary.

A roster that needs to add more Canadian players due to some ELC's not coming is NOT the CFL, it's CIS. Canadian players on ELC's might also not want to play under these circumstances / pay levels etc.

Off the top of my head: Lawler, Grant, Whitehead, Bailey, Richardson, M. Jones, Hansen, Asotui and  Oliveria are on ELC's. All of the yet un-signed 2020 draft picks as well. Some may choose to get on with their non football careers for the 2020 season.

Eliminate some of TC and exhibition games, how do any rookies actually win a roster spot? May as well pick the 1st dozen off the bus.

Also as pointed out there is no way to schedule 6 games fairly.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:20:18 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »

Information on what is being proposed for the revised CFL season is slowly coming out:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tony washington
@t_dubsworld12
 ? Jul 14
Just what I thought... cfl waited till the last min to give us a deadline to decide on a ******** return to play scenario and when we dont agree its our fault!
..... for rookie Americans  33% of 64k is 21k after taxes 14k after conversion to states 9k...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind it's one person's take, it hasn't been confirmed, it's an American's point of view on an American's situation.

Any links?

No more excuses.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 02:47:42 PM »

lets just hope most the players will do it, tough situation for everyone

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »

No way to know what the reaction of players will be from either side of the border. For Canadians that don't live in a hub city it's a bigger challenge. If they're willing to come finding short term accommodation might be another obstacle. Not being able to return home for an extended time may be harder for some than others.

In the US some highly paid pro athletes have chosen to sit out any 2020 season. It's a small number but these players are giving up $100K's or more in US $$. Can't even tell yet about whether we see some NFL players choose to sit out.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 05:56:20 PM »

6 game season? Why bother?
pjrocksmb

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 08:44:15 PM »

better than nothing and keeps the league afloat and continuity on the TV deal, but yeah tight spot

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 09:25:23 PM »

Why because it would still be fun a hell! That is why!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
pjrocksmb

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 12:23:40 AM »

Why because it would still be fun a hell! That is why!
one thing we can agree on!

NewBlue

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 07:49:05 PM »

I don't care about a fair schedule, give me 2 games vs Sask/CGY/Ham, and I'm still happy.  They have to be worried about us! Grin

But which 2 teams do you care least about playing?  For me Ott & Tor.  Ya, playing Nichols would be big - but in such a short season give me more of the rivalry games.
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 05:24:04 PM »

The financial cost to pay players for an abbreviated season might be greater than the TV revenue. As a gate driven league that's going to come into play.

Since we're hearing comments that many teams are losing money or barely breaking even that's a concern.

That said the downside of NOT playing may do more damage than losing more money.

It's an ugly situation and choice whether the league gets loans or doesn't.

No more excuses.
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »

The financial cost to pay players for an abbreviated season might be greater than the TV revenue. As a gate driven league that's going to come into play.

Since we're hearing comments that many teams are losing money or barely breaking even that's a concern.

That said the downside of NOT playing may do more damage than losing more money.

It's an ugly situation and choice whether the league gets loans or doesn't.

I wonder does TSN pay a pro-rated price on their TV Deal....That is a huge factor as well....its not like the CFL is as big of a draw as the other Major Sports Leagues and they need all the left over pennies from the millionaires that they can get

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
Donny C

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 10:56:00 PM »

I wonder does TSN pay a pro-rated price on their TV Deal....That is a huge factor as well....its not like the CFL is as big of a draw as the other Major Sports Leagues and they need all the left over pennies from the millionaires that they can get

With the potential season overlapping the NHL season, and the hunger for sports viewing, I wonder how much television viewership the CFL would receive?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: