Blue Bombers Forum
July 12, 2020, 12:24:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential format to salvage at least half of the CFL season  (Read 5590 times)
DM83

« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2020, 11:52:45 PM »

Blue in BC I think you raise a good point.
Surely if The Team misses a payday the contracts become. Void.....I would think.
But where are these guys going to bother?Nack to work at McDonalds?
Sad to say football is a young mans. Game.  It's a great way to postpone adulthood.

Play. Anywhere for. Some money.  Young men can do that for a few years in their. Twenties.  But  as you get past the midway mark,,if there is no financial security, it's just at best a year to year short term party.

Sure if they have a chance at the NFL it's a God deal.  But after that......the. Wife. You and the. Kid arenypt likely to live on $65,000.00 USA dollars, and that would  be before taxes.

The rare guys whom have a college degree can get good jobs up here, but how many do that?

So we may lose guys...so what?..... probably hundreds of thousands of. Recent and current soon to be. Grads would come up and play for spending money, and. A chance to get film, and a shot back at the NFL.?  If they are that good they might get it, if not....join the real world where u and I make. Probably three times the amount of money they end up making. 

I hope someone steps. Up and. Buys the league and. Gives jobs to these guys.
A sobering reality I hate to recognize...of my heros
Blue In BC

« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »

Blue in BC I think you raise a good point.
Surely if The Team misses a payday the contracts become. Void.....I would think.
But where are these guys going to bother?Nack to work at McDonalds?
Sad to say football is a young mans. Game.  It's a great way to postpone adulthood.

Play. Anywhere for. Some money.  Young men can do that for a few years in their. Twenties.  But  as you get past the midway mark,,if there is no financial security, it's just at best a year to year short term party.

Sure if they have a chance at the NFL it's a God deal.  But after that......the. Wife. You and the. Kid arenypt likely to live on $65,000.00 USA dollars, and that would  be before taxes.

The rare guys whom have a college degree can get good jobs up here, but how many do that?

So we may lose guys...so what?..... probably hundreds of thousands of. Recent and current soon to be. Grads would come up and play for spending money, and. A chance to get film, and a shot back at the NFL.?  If they are that good they might get it, if not....join the real world where u and I make. Probably three times the amount of money they end up making. 

I hope someone steps. Up and. Buys the league and. Gives jobs to these guys.
A sobering reality I hate to recognize...of my heros

I think the league and the CFLPA need to negotiate something. What that would look like isn't clear.

As you suggested becoming free agents probably doesn't help 99.99% of the players.

Even half a season with no attendance revenue may not work. Players might need to take a cut beyond a half season salary. However, there are many players already on ELC's. Is it worth their while to risk injury if you cut that by another 50% ( down to 20K ) more or less?

Would a $400K QB ( $200K for 10 games ) be willing to play for $100K?
Would a $150K WR ( $75K for 10 games ) be willing to play for $37K

Some higher dollar contract players have already received significant early upfront money. Some of that was re-signing new free agent contracts or just the norm to take advantage of the income tax savings for imports. In some cases that might approach 50% of their normal salary. .

The league is attendance driven revenue.

Obviously those making more are in a better position to take less. Those at the bottom less so however where is a line drawn if we end up with a half season? Even that is not a sure thing.

If all the players don't agree to something the bubble bursts.

The Bombers have 36-37 players that are potentially free agents in 2021. Where will that concern fit into any equation?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:49:48 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: