Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2020, 07:24:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make IGF safe?  (Read 1320 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »

We are not going to see crowds in stands this year.  Sorry.  No way to make any mass attendance facility "safe".  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »

We are not going to see crowds in stands this year.  Sorry.  No way to make any mass attendance facility "safe".  

Governments aren't going to allow mass gatherings any where close to this season.

We're up to gatherings of ten people that are allowed?

My wife is amazing!
the paw

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2020, 06:11:24 PM »

Imaginary conversation between a contact tracer and an infected season ticket holder.

Tracer:  I am sorry to tell you Mr. Smith, that your COVID test came back infected.  Even though you only feel mildly sick, we need to trace your contacts to try to limit the spread.

STH:  Bummer.  But i am a good citizen, sure, I'll cooperate.

Tracer:  Where have you been in the last two weeks?

STH:  Well, this week, I visited Mom, and I got by winter tires changed over at Canadian Tire.

Tracer:  Okay, no problem, we'll quarantine your Mom, and get in touch with Canadian Tire so the employees at that store can get tested.  How about the week before?

STH:  Well, I rode a standing room only bus with 60 people to IGF and hung out with 23,000 screaming fans for three and a half hours.  A lot of them were drunk.

Tracer:...........[slash wrists]

grab grass 'n growl
DM83

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 12:37:26 AM »

Yup, but then again that would apply to anywhere in society wouldn'tmit.

theaardvark

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 11:17:22 AM »

The revelation that a Walmart worker tested positive recently, and they posted when that person was in the store... can you imagine after a game at IGF?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
lenny

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »

It's ridiculous to consider fans back in stadiums. That's a risk that no one should assume or allow. The downside of possible huge legal consequences of infection let alone the health consequences -  It's not about being negative. It's about being realistic. We shouldn't be posting pie-in the-sky stuff.

On a more positive front and more realistic assuming all the other issues about quarantining the non-national players for the stipulated period, the risks of employees who are over 65, who have immune compromised issues, etc. etc. can be resolved, I also would pay on a pay per view basis for the  remaining season. This is not an unrealistic proposition either from TSN's perspective or as what strategically can be done absent vaccination.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2020, 08:07:10 PM »

This is not an unrealistic proposition either from TSN's perspective or as what strategically can be done absent vaccination.

I'm failing to understand how it's not unrealistic from TSN's perspective?  TSN already pays to air the games, and they in turn get revenue from advertisers during the games and from the cable package options which include TSN3 and 5 (or whatever channels the games are on).  So for TSN to say "Let's go PPV instead", they're likely going to drive down their viewership levels and if it's PPV, they're not going to get the ad revenue I would assume.  So either they don't pay the CFL to air the games (in which case that's a $5M hit to each teams bottom line) or they pay them a portion of the PPV revenue. 

For the CFL to generate $50M in equivalent revenue (let's assume for the time being that TSN doesn't pro rate the season, best case scenario for the CFL) from a portion of the TSN PPV revenue on a (let's say) 40 game shortened season, they'd have to pull in $1.25M per game.  Average CFL viewership per game is somewhere in the 500,000 range, so if you assumed that each one of those people (as individuals, no groups) ALL decided to go with PPV (which won't happen, I'd be surprised if half elected to go PPV), the CFL would have to clear at a minimum $2.50 per PPV buy just to match TSNs existing commitment, but more likely $5.00 per viewer.

TSN would charge a multiple of that in order to cover their costs, their lost add revenue (I'm assuming everyone who pays for the PPV does not want to see 40 minutes of Bel Air direct commercials), and make a profit.  So let's say, for discussion sake, that TSN determines that their multiplier for the PPV (per game) is 4X what the CFL would have to pull to get the equivalent money out of the existing TSN deal.  So that puts you at (low end) $10 per game and more likely $20.  Four games a week and that's $80 a week on PPV.  I love the CFL, but I'm not paying $300 a month to watch it when I already pay for TSN to begin with.  In fact, I'd likely cancel my TSN subscription, because CFL football is the predominant reason I have TSN.  That, and AEW wrestling, and I can watch that on YouTube 40 minutes after the broadcast for free.

TSN would be in a far better position to actually NOT want a PPV setup, because if (and it's a big if) the CFL plays any games this year, it will likely be the first pro sports league back into operation which TSN has contracts with and the viewership would likely increase over the average number, simply because it's not reruns and the viewing fan base might actually grow.  Now, I don't know how revenues are calculated, but I'm assuming increased viewership rates = increased buy rates for ads next season, which means TSNs revenues from the CFL would likely increase in subsequent seasons.
DM83

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2020, 09:40:16 PM »

TSN and The CFL ...well the CFL has to think of additional revenue sources.
If not, and the mass hysteria promoted by society continues, it will kill the league.

Many in society will have to. Suck it up, take the losses, and  fight, to continue
buckzumhoff

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 11:51:16 PM »

How many people walk thru a walmart in a day. That's what 150 cars there all the time from what 8 am to 10 pm  and some are open  24 hours regular hours. Theres 4 Walmart's in winnipeg? And people are worried about a game 3 hrs long with social distancing. But they'll go walk thru a store with a mask on or off touching items and  stand in line  Obviously if it isn't affecting their bottom line some dont have a problem shutting down sports. But the airlines keep flying.  Apparently the us govt is tryingto get numbers to give them money. . And they profit every year . But one bad year they need a bailout.all the large  companies are getting bailouts something like 70 per cent of what they normally make
 I'm not sure on the figures but I think they all qualified unless they were too small a business. But they bailed out the big companies. I say reduced crowds and if they  want testing that's fine too. As long as they get ppv  should be ok.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:55:36 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
DM83

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2020, 12:20:52 AM »

It still,doesn't make sense.
Your point about A. Walmart is interesting.
Social distancing.  Ok. So at IGF sell every second seat.
Minimal. Contact less than two metres is said to be. oK, so passing through a "crowd" on the way to the concession or seat ad hears to the rules.

So, how is that different being at Sobeys or Walmart.
Now, I suggested crowd testing.  If. Done should be  allowed in should be clean.

I mean that's what the leagues are doing to the players.....they are tested and should be OK. Sure someone.  Can be positive, as. Was just announced for the soccer league, or MMA.  But ,  everyone else survived healthy.

The cities can't stay closed, society will fall apart.
Now do we need. the CFL or the Jets?  Nope ...unless you would be willing to see them disappear.

It's a matter of acceptable risk, until the. Vaccine arrives...which according to some. Reports is being tested. Right now.

I bet it's sooner than later...at least in places like MB. With such low numbers of the. Virus.
NYC, , Quebec, Brazil......the numbers are too high. They are done.
NewBlue

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2020, 12:51:47 AM »

Close down the social gatherings around the rum hut, and it looks alot better.
blue girl

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2020, 02:19:56 AM »

I took the online test to see if I should get tested, which is the same questions they ask when you go to a hospital. The thing is that if people are honest they will stay home if they feel sick. Unfortunately it's the few selfish ones (certainly not anybody on here) that will ruin it for everyone else.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »

How many people walk thru a walmart in a day. That's what 150 cars there all the time from what 8 am to 10 pm  and some are open  24 hours regular hours. Theres 4 Walmart's in winnipeg? And people are worried about a game 3 hrs long with social distancing. But they'll go walk thru a store with a mask on or off touching items and  stand in line 

Stores like Wal-Mart, Costco, etc. sell essential goods to the public. There's a need for them to be open and provide those goods at a time like this. Yes, there's a risk involved but it's about balancing public safety and health with public need.

Spending a few hours at a stadium with thousands of others does not qualify as a public need at all.

Comparing a live football game to a store selling essential goods is absurd.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
TBURGESS

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2020, 01:31:44 PM »

Every second seat is 2 feet apart, not 6 feet. Change that to 3 seats between each group of people from the same address and add in every second row to maintain social distancing. That's less than a third of capacity.

No booze and no concessions because of the lineups required. Almost impossible to maintain social distancing in that environment.

In grocery stores, you pass someone in the aisle, you don't sit down with them for 3 - 4 hours.

You can't test the whole crowd and get the tests back before game time. Best you can do it make them fill out a questionnaire, which isn't to provide safety, it's to provide the club with a document to point to if people get sick so they don't get sued.

Vaccine testing, if they've even found the right one yet, takes months to years. I doubt we will have one this year, maybe next year.

Playing in MB and SKN and not playing in BC, Ont, QB and probably Calgary doesn't work. Just cuz MB has low counts now doesn't mean that will continue once you open up and let folks in from all over the US and Canada.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
lenny

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »

I'm failing to understand how it's not unrealistic from TSN's perspective?  TSN already pays to air the games, and they in turn get revenue from advertisers during the games and from the cable package options which include TSN3 and 5 (or whatever channels the games are on).  So for TSN to say "Let's go PPV instead", they're likely going to drive down their viewership levels and if it's PPV, they're not going to get the ad revenue I would assume.  So either they don't pay the CFL to air the games (in which case that's a $5M hit to each teams bottom line) or they pay them a portion of the PPV revenue. 

For the CFL to generate $50M in equivalent revenue (let's assume for the time being that TSN doesn't pro rate the season, best case scenario for the CFL) from a portion of the TSN PPV revenue on a (let's say) 40 game shortened season, they'd have to pull in $1.25M per game.  Average CFL viewership per game is somewhere in the 500,000 range, so if you assumed that each one of those people (as individuals, no groups) ALL decided to go with PPV (which won't happen, I'd be surprised if half elected to go PPV), the CFL would have to clear at a minimum $2.50 per PPV buy just to match TSNs existing commitment, but more likely $5.00 per viewer.

TSN would charge a multiple of that in order to cover their costs, their lost add revenue (I'm assuming everyone who pays for the PPV does not want to see 40 minutes of Bel Air direct commercials), and make a profit.  So let's say, for discussion sake, that TSN determines that their multiplier for the PPV (per game) is 4X what the CFL would have to pull to get the equivalent money out of the existing TSN deal.  So that puts you at (low end) $10 per game and more likely $20.  Four games a week and that's $80 a week on PPV.  I love the CFL, but I'm not paying $300 a month to watch it when I already pay for TSN to begin with.  In fact, I'd likely cancel my TSN subscription, because CFL football is the predominant reason I have TSN.  That, and AEW wrestling, and I can watch that on YouTube 40 minutes after the broadcast for free.

TSN would be in a far better position to actually NOT want a PPV setup, because if (and it's a big if) the CFL plays any games this year, it will likely be the first pro sports league back into operation which TSN has contracts with and the viewership would likely increase over the average number, simply because it's not reruns and the viewing fan base might actually grow.  Now, I don't know how revenues are calculated, but I'm assuming increased viewership rates = increased buy rates for ads next season, which means TSNs revenues from the CFL would likely increase in subsequent seasons.

This is not an all or nothing proposition.TSN could run ads and make it PPV. Then the spot ads have a captive audience. Further, TSN could black out home games only, as an example, run a PPV and targeted ads, with  significant revenue from those games going directly to the home team to aid them in their financial situation. The incentive to those who cheer for their team would be to obviously encourage buying the package to help team revenue. You understand therefore that this a rather extraordinary step only in extraordinary times.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: