Blue Bombers Forum
August 09, 2020, 11:01:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make IGF safe?  (Read 4017 times)
blue girl

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 05:00:01 AM »

Now that I think about it between 50/50 tickets and concessions I spend $40 at every game. So if they want to go PPV count me in.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 06:44:06 PM »

Holy smokes Mud... Literally 6 posts above mine saying basically the same thing (masks, distancing, washrooms) and you jump all over my post?  Seriously Mud, how many times have I jumped all over your posts and even come close to using a word that the site automatically bleeped?  I'll tell you: never.

Like the people above already said, we're trying to be positive.  If you don't want to posit positive ideas about how maybe we can still have a season, don't post.  There's the other thread  for all the negativeness.

As for your condition and risks, I have the simplest solution in the world for you if they hold some sort of CFL game @IGF: don't attend.  There, zero risk.

Bingo.  I totally agree.  That would be a "win" in my books.  I'd pay basically any fee they came up with if CFL went 100% PPV for 2020.  I blow about $150 every single game @IGF anyhow, so any cost less than that is bonus.  Heck, PPV-only will save me more because then I won't be able to blow wads on out of town playoffs/GCs!!

Sorry dude i didnt mean to jump all over you. I just dont see how all this could work.

We have had stores here open then have to close because ppl dont follow the rules. IGF would be a nightmare IMO.

Trust me dude....  i want football as bad as anyone....  just dont see how it would work.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 07:00:56 PM »

I can't see any mass public gatherings until there is a viable treatment for COVID.  Something that prevents people from needing hospitalization in the vast majority of cases, and reduces the ICU / ventilator need as well.  When they find a pill that reduces those numbers, and makes getting infected have a similar mortality to the flu, then society opens up.  

And people with underlying conditions go deep into quarantine.  

If they come up with an effective vaccine, even better, but the likelihood of a treatment is a lot higher than a vaccine.

Places like IGF add in another factor, while crowds might be able to utilize PPE and social distancing, those go out the window with alcohol consumption... if they do open to limited crowds, I can see it being dry, or in a very limited fashion with consumption procedures, with strict penalties for non compliance.

Until one of those happens, no crowds.  Now, if the CFL gets bailout money from the feds, then they can play without crowds.  And without PPV.  

But they can get back to playing...

Testing will be the main issue with playing, teams, staff, officials all need testing pregame with a rapid test.  And American players will need to be quarantined before reporting to training camp, in Canada due to travel exposure.  Not optimal, but not undoable...

The one issue is that if a player gets infected, the whole league has to shut down for 14 days, and if a star player gets it, that team will be in trouble, losing a star for a period of recovery time is tough... added on to all the other reasons players miss games...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 09:39:41 PM »

PPV could work. I?m all in for that.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 11:09:41 PM »

Im in for reduced crowds and pay per view. I have seasons but willing to sit games out and watch pay per view.. Id also be in for ppv for other teams games in the league. Any game If you sit out gets credited to pay per view.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:11:44 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
bluegold4life

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 06:42:39 AM »

PPV and NO FANS is the ONLY WAY this would work.
DM83

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »

I took a psychology course at university. Matter of fact it's Officially designated one of my minors. One of the topics they gave us was mass hysteria. Anither was Grouo Think.  The example for group think was. The Cuban missile,crisis.  Almost all,of Kennedy's advisors said  go blow up,Cuba. They had Nukes.  Common belief was it would result in mutually assured mass destruction, with USSR coming in on the side of Cube, and their nukes taking out the USA.

So, I always think back to these. Concepts.

Regarding the Carona. Virus in Manitoba,and perhaps Canada or the world.
In reality, how many people in Manitoba have the infectious virus?
And how does opening now, differ from opening in the Fall? Will,we all be. Better?  Will there be less infected?

Well, everyone. Who works in the Stadium and.would be tested.
Secondly, all,fans who go,to the game would also be tested.
Third all people would be registered, as they enter.  (Testing I have heard, could give results in a day or two.)
Fourth once results were attained, a card would be issued. I heard a test could cost $20.00/ person.  Just like a ticket increase for Jets playoff games?
Fifth, the registration could allow for subsequent contacts tracking..
Sixth no masks, unless you think you are a germ machine.
Seventh, social. Distancing could be attempted, but probably not a reality.  But if everyone has been tested, no need for it

So no walk ups, no test, no entry,

Eighth, TSN and The CFL already have a contract so pay per view is out.
However, if the CFL can prove increased memberships as people, are not interested in attending, proving viewership increased( if it does),  could result in a higher mext contract.  Thereby, helping de-coop some of the losses?

As usual we will be asked to pick up the cost of this pandemic.  I assume. pST and GST will be increased, or some other tax.

My two cents
Sec223

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »

I pay for NFL Sunday Ticket every year to follow one team (Titans). Having said that I would pay for a Bomber package if I couldn't go to games. 10 bucks a game ? $180. I'm in !!!
TBURGESS

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 12:54:49 PM »

$10 PPV is a ridiculous number. Lets say the average ticket price is $100 then you add in food, drinks, 50-50 tickets, maybe parking and a trip to the Bomber store and you get another $100 per game. That's that's 10 to 20 times the 10$ PPV price and I doubt that 10 to 20 times more people would buy the PPV ticket to get the Bombers to an even position.

TSN, their advertiser's and the CFL want more eyes on the game, not less and PPV would mean less folks watching.

DM83.. We don't know how many people have had the virus because testing has been spotty at best and it looks like you can contract the disease more than once.

Testing isn't the answer. A single test shows you didn't have the virus on the day you were tested, but it doesn't mean you won't contract it after that date, so a card wouldn't work. Testing on the way in then finding out 2 days later wouldn't work either as a couple of people could infect everyone, especially if you don't need to have a mask on. All those people would have to be re-tested and the people they contacted re-tested and so on.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan have done well in part because they have small populations and in part because they haven't brought the virus in via the airport. Look at the difference in the number of cases between Calgary (4500+ cases), an airport that accepted international flights, and Edmonton (500+ Cases) that didn't.

I get that folks, especially around here, want football this summer, but if it means killing folks parents and grandparents, then it really isn't worth it.

My 2 cents.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
DM83

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »

TBURGESS I can't disagree with you.   

Well maybe I can.  My suggestions are not without a possibility of failure.  Certainly anyone can get it after testing.  However, in the majority, most. Manitobans. Do not have it.  Secondly, most Manitobans. Fight it off successfully.

Also face the facts. The. Group think mentality and mass hysteria I alluded to earlier has been popularized, to sway the worlds, or Canada's. Or Manitobas population.m wear a mask to,prevent getting tired??? You mean that little. Colton hanky most people. Have around their nose and mouth works?  Really?

Face the facts.  All the safe distance and stay at home, sounds. Good.  Of course. Every retailer, and makers of the economy will become. Bankrupt.  Even in the. Great Depression people still,worked.  Society, as you have see. Can't shut down. 

So sure stay at home slowed this thing down.  However will a vaccine or antidote be found bynthentime the kids. Go back to school, or next hockey season rolls around?  Mass hysteria says sure, 27 companies. Are working in it. In normal testing this s out of scientific testing tales a couple years.  Our friend. Donald Trump says the best minds in America  are working on it, and. May have something for the Fall.

Historically, not likely.  But who knows.

No, social distancing, may. Come to an end. Tomorrow, or whenever you believe test results and when the stats are released of the new lack of new Cases.

All guess work on my part.  Yup we will be going back to school, without a. Vaccine, social distancing. That's. Going to be interesting. A school room which was home to 33 kids, now. Down to 15ish....where do they put the other ones.  Social distancing?? Pffffttt!

So again the point is, what will Pallister tell us?  What will citizens of Winnipeg do? I am not sure the social distancing will be enforced, or can be enforced.

Like ancient. Times, people. Just lived through it. Surely if you  have a cough,stay home.  But that's been the philosophy. Forever.  Now ...old people , or those with troubled immune systems etc, are in danger.  Get those **** old age personal. Care homes cleaned. Up.  What the hell are they doing, or not doing in Quebec.?

There will be nithing different in the fall than right now, in terms of antidotes and vaccines.  Are. We just going to rely on. Our bodies. Just developing antibodies in their own?

Well if that's the case, society will have to maintain social distancing for the next six or more months, until that vaccine is made available, or everyone develops immunity.a

My suggestion of testing, if reports are true that an immediate test is available, easy to do, and results are relatively immediate would " ensure" the. Guy sitting next to you is Unaffected.  The tracking portion of. The idea,would allow someone to. Trace. Your contacts. Should you become infected.

But again the points. You have countered With, can occur.  However, not every condition can be  accounted for, so the minuscule percentage that might be undetected, may slip through.  But that is like many situations that already exist in life..

Again just. Some ideas. In my oart.  If the testing is unavailable, i tend  to agree with you.  No fans..
Selling tickets. Every three seats and a row in between.  But still why take a chance when you can be safe at home.

Pay per view would be. Good, if the CFL can break the contract.
TBURGESS

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 02:26:27 PM »

We're talking about the whole CFL, not just Winnipeg.

The major outbreaks in Canada are in Quebec, Ontario and BC. The CFL can't play a season without Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, Vancouver and maybe even Calgary. Flights in from those places will increase the risk and the cases in Manitoba. Sending players to those places will increase the risk to the players.

The facts are that this virus, even with low testing numbers, has already has over 4.7 Million cases world wide, 1.52 Million in the US and 77,000 cases in Canada. That's not group think or mass hysteria. It's millions of cases of a virus that we don't have a vaccine or a treatment for. Yes, lots of smart folks are working on both, but they won't have a solution ready for this summer and may never have one. This is real life, not the movies where a vaccine is found by the 3rd act and everything is OK in under 2 hours.

Cases going down is great. Opening up the economy is also great if done properly. If it's done too soon or without the proper rules in place, it will mean a second wave and even 3rd wave of the pandemic. Note that in the 1918 pandemic the 2nd wave and the 3rd wave were both significantly more deadly than the first wave.

It's not a minuscule chance that people will get infected in large crowds. The bigger the crowd the higher the chance of getting or giving the disease. Most outbreaks get traced back to lots of folks together in one place. That's one big reason that 82% of the deaths, as announced in early May, are from long term care homes. The other reason is those folks are already old or weak or compromised in some way so they can't fight the virus the way younger, healthier people can.

Social distancing is the new norm unless they find a vaccine and make it mandatory, because that's the only way to get herd immunity without killing off the old and weak among us.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
DM83

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »

Great points TBURGESS I have zero,to counter.

Your points are sobering. 

If not bleak. I do fear that this pandemic will once again blow up the numbers, as you alluded to. I do not want to think about a world with no CFL, or NHL.  How soon before Pay per view is instituted?  The same thing with shopping and dining. Can you imagine no more dining and bars?  Shopping on line? Remember the days in them 1970s when you went to the MLCC and you wrote out your order on paper, and. Some guy behind the counter went and got it.  Social interaction in a downtown business setting will be non-existant?

Will,sports be like a scripted TV  show?  LeBron, John Cena and the Rock are already hosting made for TV sports.?

You made some great points.however,  how come. Eiropean soccer. Leagues, and Major League. baseball are not cimcerned about social,distancing among players congregating at stadiums.

A similar, yet different question ..how. Can a poor organization, like the Bombers remain in business?

Hey Chip, can we borrow a couple. Million"
Or. How about the guy who owns the WWE or F OR whatever they are called, buy the CFL, produce games like the wrestling.?

Will we go away?
gordo

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 11:31:25 PM »

$10 PPV is a ridiculous number. Lets say the average ticket price is $100 then you add in food, drinks, 50-50 tickets, maybe parking and a trip to the Bomber store and you get another $100 per game. That's that's 10 to 20 times the 10$ PPV price and I doubt that 10 to 20 times more people would buy the PPV ticket to get the Bombers to an even position.

TSN, their advertiser's and the CFL want more eyes on the game, not less and PPV would mean less folks watching.

I agree that $10 PPV is probably too low but higher PPV means less eyes on the game which you also point out is an issue.  You can't have it both ways. 

The reality is there is no solution that will solve everything.  The best that can happen is some semblance of a season with enough revenue to justify the cost of playing games.  So if it means empty stadiums with some form of PPV then at least the league can try to survive this and we the fans get some needed Bomber football. 

Unless of course the fed rides to the rescue with our tax dollars.  Then it's game on.

I also tend to agree that any attempt to put people in the stands will be a nightmare and I'd be out.  The only revenue generating alternative is PPV or another type of TV deal that generates more dollars for CFL teams.  I'm no expert but logistics with multiple service providers might be tough.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 05:12:10 AM »

I agree that $10 PPV is probably too low but higher PPV means less eyes on the game which you also point out is an issue.  You can't have it both ways. 

The reality is there is no solution that will solve everything.  The best that can happen is some semblance of a season with enough revenue to justify the cost of playing games.  So if it means empty stadiums with some form of PPV then at least the league can try to survive this and we the fans get some needed Bomber football. 

Unless of course the fed rides to the rescue with our tax dollars.  Then it's game on.

I also tend to agree that any attempt to put people in the stands will be a nightmare and I'd be out.  The only revenue generating alternative is PPV or another type of TV deal that generates more dollars for CFL teams.  I'm no expert but logistics with multiple service providers might be tough.

TSN pays the league $50 million a year for domestic TV rights, that's a good chunk of the CFL's operating budget financed by subscriptions and advertising revenue generated by TSN, don't mess with it.  There's no way PPV is going to generate anywhere near that amount of revenue per game for the league with a small fraction of the viewers.  If they can figure out a way to play and televise games (with or without a crowd) I believe the TV audience may increase significantly as most sports fans are starved for live entertainment and will watch almost anything.  Even playing half a season for $25 million could be enough to float the CFL through to next season aided by some level of govt. assistance.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:20:47 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
bwiser

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »

TSN pays the league $50 million a year for domestic TV rights, that's a good chunk of the CFL's operating budget financed by subscriptions and advertising revenue generated by TSN, don't mess with it.  There's no way PPV is going to generate anywhere near that amount of revenue per game for the league with a small fraction of the viewers.  If they can figure out a way to play and televise games (with or without a crowd) I believe the TV audience may increase significantly as most sports fans are starved for live entertainment and will watch almost anything.  Even playing half a season for $25 million could be enough to float the CFL through to next season aided by some level of govt. assistance.
Your point is well taken. This 2020 season is not about the CFL making money but about surviving to play in 2021.I think every team is going to lose a lot of money in 2020. Lets just hope the loss is not too large that its insurmountable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: