Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2020, 07:40:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thursdays with Woli | Building and Growth  (Read 76 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: May 15, 2020, 03:16:08 PM »

Thursdays with Woli | Building and Growth - Drew Wolitarsky

Life is a series of events of different scales.

That is how I feel now, watching my brother, Nathan, checking the support beams on the car port we are constructing.

What I mean by 'different scales' is this: I can recall vividly Nathan and I as children sitting shirtless in our living room, focused and quiet (for once) pulling pieces of LEGO from a massive blue bin where a wasteland of ships and critters were dormant among Jedis and Star Destroyers. From that blue bin we would create masterpieces, then fly them through the house.

The house was our universe; the Milky Way could be found in the refrigerator, Betelgeuse was located in the bouncy atmosphere of the trampoline.

And now, as we pound metal bolts into the ground, I can't help but smile, realizing that we haven't changed a bit. The only thing that has changed is the scale of what we are building, but what is inside of us, what binds us, is constant.

I am new to carpentry. I know next to nothing about building a structure, but as we measured the layout and set the base and began to raise the beams, I realized what a tremendous feeling it is to see a structure being formed before my eyes.

In the measurement, it is precise. One-eighth off at the base can grow to 20 feet off over time. The precision needed to support and create strength is the most vital piece to successful carpentry.

This resonated with me in my own life, in my own structure. I recall times when I could have taken an easy road, or neglected to do something because it was painful or stressful. Admittedly, I have done it. I have backed out on things. I have left things unfinished, one-eighth off, and all it does is create unsuccessful builds, structures built on uneasy ground that crumble.

To build anything successfully there is a certain mindset required. It is a choice to face the struggles that confront you in the battle for equilibrium.

The ground on which we are built is not always even.  Sometimes our base is brittle and weak, weather-worn, shallow.

Nathan and I ran into these troubles. We had to find ways around the slope, the shallow cement that would not support our heavy beams, drills burning out, beams coming out of balance, having the wrong instruments for the work required.

But it isn't only the job site where we have run into our own structural problems. There was a time when he and I were at odds with one another. A time when we didn't recognize that constant we'd had for so long, that childish love. It had been lost somewhere.

And on a warm September night - September 13, 2011 - nearing the midnight hour, I got a call that he had been a severe car accident a mile down from our childhood home......

The rest of Drew Wolitarsky's article is here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: