Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 02:05:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering Stegall's record-breaking game  (Read 998 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: May 10, 2020, 03:15:00 AM »

Remembering Stegall's record-breaking game - Ed Tait

It began as a conversation about Milt Stegall's record-breaking night, almost 13 years ago now, and then morphed into a bigger-picture discussion about the Canadian Football League and its importance to so many in this country.

So, yeah, let's get this out of the way right off the top...

Stegall, yours truly, and anyone who plays, works or passionately follows this grand ol' loop have an unquestioned bias in play right now, especially in a week when commissioner Randy Ambrosie met with the federal government seeking financial assistance.

Maybe that was in the back of my mind Friday morning in advance of the TSN rebroadcast of the record-breaking game when I reached out to Stegall, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers legend and the CFL's touchdown king. I also spoke with his quarterback in that game, Kevin Glenn, about that spectacular summer night in late July 2007.

Both were eager to play the nostalgia game; both were eager to trumpet the importance of the CFL in their lives.

Deep down we were all thinking and saying the same thing: there are the memories you get from experiencing games like that, a night in which Canad Inns Stadium was absolutely jumping in anticipation of Stegall's record chase. And then we all hope we can add to that collection of memories when the COVID-19 pandemic is over and the CFL, fingers most certainly crossed, comes out having survived it all.

We'll get to that a little later here as we attempt to merge two themes, but first let's rewind to July 27, 2007 with Stegall and Glenn and the night Stegall passed both George Reed and Mike Pringle to become the TD king...

And the rest of Ed Tait's article on Milt Stegall's historical game can be read here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be fun to open up the thread from that game if it is still accessible.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 02:42:52 PM »

Here is one....will see if I can locate more.

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=593.0

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_or_die

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »

Here is one....will see if I can locate more.

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=593.0

Epic throwback!  Shocked

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TecnoGenius

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 05:15:23 AM »

Epic throwback!  Shocked

Ya, wow.  I didn't know they still had ancient posts kicking around... 2007!  And wow, some of you guys have been here forever!  Shocked

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »

Ya, wow.  I didn't know they still had ancient posts kicking around... 2007!  And wow, some of you guys have been here forever!  Shocked

FYI...BlueBonger is now Goldmember. I can't believe I had nothing to say on that topic?

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue girl

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 07:31:43 PM »

FYI...BlueBonger is now Goldmember. I can't believe I had nothing to say on that topic?
Friday was the first time I have watched this game on TV. I didn't have the PVR or a HD TV back then. What a great game and moment in Bomber history.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »

Yup what bad A#%* he was.

I remember I took my daughter to tinker town the next day after that game all hung over bumped into Milt and Barrin Simpson with their families. It was a brilliant moment. My daughter and chase,Whom are very similar in age, we?re hanging out. It was neat!

The game is still my favourite live moment ever. Heck of a football game overall to lots of hard hits.

Thanks modmin for putting that up. It is crazy we have been on this thing for!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:27:37 PM by GOLDMEMBER » Logged

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 07:44:32 PM »

Yup what bad A#%* he was.

I remember I took my daughter to tinker town the next day after that game all hung over bumped into Milt and Barrin Simpson with their families. It was a brilliant moment. My daughter and chase,Whom are very similar in age, we?re hanging out. It was neat!

The game is still my favourite live moment ever. Heck of a football game overall to lots of hard hits.

Thanks modmin for putting that up. It is crazy we have been on this thing for!

I agree its crazy how long some of us have been here. Pretty awesome

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 07:53:12 PM »

I agree its crazy how long some of us have been here. Pretty awesome
I?m sure other members on here know exactly what year but correct me if I?m wrong was it 2003 that this forum started?

New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 08:12:36 PM »

I?m sure other members on here know exactly what year but correct me if I?m wrong was it 2003 that this forum started?

I cant remember. But its really kool to see how long we have been here.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 03:18:45 AM »

I haven't had time to finish the game yet... I'm at halftime.  But that Stegall 138 had me jumping and cheering in front of my TV!  I had forgotten all about that.  I didn't go to many football games live then.

Like someone said on the other thread: it was a brilliant call and design as everyone was looking at Blink.  I thought for sure it was going to him!  Then the "fooled you all" shovel to Milt.  Wonderful!!

Then I went to lookup all of Milt's records & stats.  Wow, just wow.

Never go full Rider!
Sec227

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »

That entire season was fantastic.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »

That entire season was fantastic.

Well, maybe not the entire season.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue_or_die

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 05:10:51 PM »

Well, maybe not the entire season.

Regular season* lol

BlueInCgy

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 07:54:27 PM »

Regular season* lol

Yeah, in watching the game again I repeatedly thought "How is it this team didn't win the GC that year.", and then I remembered.

While we often look back excitedly at Bruce/Simon/Stegall/Gordon as a receiving crew of ridiculous talent, Armstrong/Brazzell/Stegall/Edwards were a fun group to watch as well.
blue girl

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 08:01:49 PM »

I had forgotten that Stegall was supposed to get the ball behind the line of scrimmage and it was supposed to be a running play. And is it just me or does Stegall look the same today as he did back then?  Cheesy
blue_or_die

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 11:02:23 AM »

I had forgotten that Stegall was supposed to get the ball behind the line of scrimmage and it was supposed to be a running play. And is it just me or does Stegall look the same today as he did back then?  Cheesy

It's ok to say it: the man's **** gorgeous! haha

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 12:05:18 PM »

It's ok to say it: the man's **** gorgeous! haha
a face new for Football TV. All class all the time. I reminded me of this past GC post game commentary. He congratulated and praised the bombers but look empty and sad with a blank look on his face. I think that win reminded him of not getting that done. It is sad he didn?t get one!

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: