Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 01:53:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: ?
Yes - 4 (11.4%)
No - 19 (54.3%)
Wouldn't help anyway - 3 (8.6%)
Don't have seasons but would donate anyway - 6 (17.1%)
Maybe - 3 (8.6%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you donate your season tickets to help keep league alive?  (Read 2264 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2020, 11:43:15 PM »

The more that I think about it the more I think that it's time for the private owners to cover some of these costs. How many times have the community owned teams had to bail out private owners?

Have the current private owners been bailed out?

I think most of the private owners have lost money year over year. Not sure they will want to/can afford to lose on their ?investment?.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2020, 01:07:58 AM »

Have the current private owners been bailed out?

I think most of the private owners have lost money year over year. Not sure they will want to/can afford to lose on their ?investment?.

If people want to make the private owners into villains, they'll just review past financials, concede they'll likely never make a profit, lock the doors and walk away like the Wetenhalls did.  Then what?  Hamilton and Calgary could conceivably form community ownership groups but I doubt there is enough interest in T.O., Vancouver or Mtl. to do so.
blue girl

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2020, 02:34:33 AM »

The current private owners could walk away. I think that Bob Young would stay as would MLSE in Toronto if for no other reason than TSN needs the CFL. IMO the big problem is that the community owned teams are making a small profit so all these losses have to be coming from the privately owned teams. I think that the ones losing the most are Toronto and BC. I still think that the CFL will find a way to survive. But I also think that they'll have to do it without the federal government. That's why I'm willing to let them keep my season ticket money and let them credit me.
bwiser

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »

I think most CFL teams will offer a carryover on tickets for 2021 season or a full refund if requested.

Personally, I will just have my season tickets move over to next year, but will request my Grey Cup ticket payment returned.

Side Note - I anticipate Grey Cup will stay in Hamilton for 2021 and then circle back to Saskatchewan in 2022.

Side Note II - When the season is cancelled, going to be very interesting how clubs handle older player contracts and how many veterans move-on to other careers.

I purchased tickets for Rockin the Fields in Minnedosa this year. It was just cancelled this week and they have offered ticket buyers to hold on to their tickets for next years show. I think that will happen with Bomber season tickets as well.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:53:23 AM by ModAdmin » Logged
Marni
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2020, 02:03:47 PM »

I purchased tickets for Rockin the Fields in Minnedosa this year. It was just cancelled this week and they have offered ticket buyers to hold on to their tickets for next years show. I think that will happen with Bomber season tickets as well.

I was just about to buy mine but held off! I?ll buy next year tho

You are what happened when I wished upon a star  Kiss
theaardvark

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2020, 07:06:01 PM »

Nascar (PPE type equipment already widely used), Golf (limited interaction inside 2m), even tennis I can see opening up.  MLB as non contact already social distances, maybe changing the way the bases work might be done... but probably not.  NBA, NHL not as much, and while they have contact, the teams / staff are a much smaller scale as compared to football.  Football will be the last of the sports to restart in any way.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2020, 06:04:50 AM »

Nascar (PPE type equipment already widely used), Golf (limited interaction inside 2m), even tennis I can see opening up.  MLB as non contact already social distances, maybe changing the way the bases work might be done... but probably not.  NBA, NHL not as much, and while they have contact, the teams / staff are a much smaller scale as compared to football.  Football will be the last of the sports to restart in any way.

You're talking from the player/team perspective.  Sure, that's valid.  But I think that aspect is actually the easiest to deal with as you have a limited set of guys and could even do something like constant (twice a day) covid testing (full swabs, not just forehead temp), if you had enough money (NFL).  And in the worst possible case, 20-60 guys (i.e. the whole team) get sick.

It's how to make it safe(ish) for the stadium crowds... that's the real tricky part.  Blow that and you can get thousands sick.

No easy answers.

Never go full Rider!
TBURGESS

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2020, 01:12:00 PM »

Lets play this out from a players/team standpoint.

First you have to get over the border. Then you have to self isolate for 14 days. Then take a test and if you pass, you can practice with your team.

Once flights and hotels and restaurants are running again, will people still have to self isolate for 14 days after flying to a new city? If so, you'd have to fly the team to the away game city, 14 days prior to the game so the team can self isolate. The cost of that for every away game would cripple, if not kill the CFL.

There's no way that players will be able to practice social distancing, while playing or standing on the sidelines for that matter.

As tests just show if you currently have the virus, you'd have to test each player a couple of days before each game and a couple of days after each game to make sure they're still virus free.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2020, 05:32:23 AM »

As tests just show if you currently have the virus, you'd have to test each player a couple of days before each game and a couple of days after each game to make sure they're still virus free.

I've been reading a lot about how F1 (car racing) plans on doing it.  They have a lot of good ideas, and they have more money than God to make it happen.  If there was a will to do it, it could be done for football too.  But really only the NFL would have the resources to do it.  And it only works in sports/leagues where the gate is small potatoes compared to the TV revenue.

F1 will get special waivers from normal govt red tape (border issues, etc.), then they'll set up a covid-free green zone at the track/facilities where no one comes or goes for days/weeks without being 100% cleared by (real) tests.  You create a sort of bubble, they called it a "biosphere".  As long as no one inside it has it, then no one inside can get it, and life can be 100% normal (no need for distancing, masks, etc.).

Obviously this excludes fans, and any races early in the "season" will be fan-free.

Ya, that's F1.  No, doesn't really transfer easily to the CFL.  No, the CFL doesn't have the resources.  No, the CFL (probably) can't play without gate revenue.  But... it shows there are possible solutions if the will is there.  If Canada and the provinces valued the CFL enough, they could cut the red tape.  However, our govts do so like their procedures...

If F1 can pull it off, I'm really curious to see if the NFL will try anything.  Just think of the viewership a league could get this year without any competition for TV eyeballs!!  If F1 gets it working first, their ratings will be through the roof.  Same with the first USA league in any sport to break the covid barrier... mondo TV revenue.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2020, 06:04:20 AM »

Lets play this out from a players/team standpoint.

First you have to get over the border. Then you have to self isolate for 14 days. Then take a test and if you pass, you can practice with your team.

Once flights and hotels and restaurants are running again, will people still have to self isolate for 14 days after flying to a new city? If so, you'd have to fly the team to the away game city, 14 days prior to the game so the team can self isolate. The cost of that for every away game would cripple, if not kill the CFL.

There's no way that players will be able to practice social distancing, while playing or standing on the sidelines for that matter.

That's one way to look at it that would not lead to a feasible solution, an end around is to have every player who wants to participate sign a waiver accepting the risk of being infected, in addition to limiting physical interaction with the general public, no different than anyone else. Being young, healthy, and believing they are immortal I believe most players would not hesitate to sign up.  Imagine if you will, putting that option in front of a player like Mike O'Shea.  "F' yah!" would be his immediate answer.

Jesse

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2020, 02:08:20 PM »

That's one way to look at it that would not lead to a feasible solution, an end around is to have every player who wants to participate sign a waiver accepting the risk of being infected, in addition to limiting physical interaction with the general public, no different than anyone else. Being young, healthy, and believing they are immortal I believe most players would not hesitate to sign up.  Imagine if you will, putting that option in front of a player like Mike O'Shea.  "F' yah!" would be his immediate answer.

Waivers like this wouldn't work.

The players wouldn't be risking their own health, they'd be risking the health of everyone they came in contact with.

It's not that the players won't do it, they won't be given the option.

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »

if players are tested prior to camp and are good to go, then you open camp with all "clean" players..and they stay at team ran facilities/dorms and interact as normal....standing anywhere..sidelines..on field...mess hall will not get you the virus...it's not floating around in the air searching out new hosts...it's transmitted with contact, and specific contact...plain and simple...so players going back and forth from dorm to facility for training camp is  pretty easy to maintain and manage...and if it has to come down to re-test after each game...so be it...the premise that people are throwing around about any team functions are impossible is silly...

TBURGESS

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2020, 02:10:30 PM »

if players are tested prior to camp and are good to go, then you open camp with all "clean" players..and they stay at team ran facilities/dorms and interact as normal....standing anywhere..sidelines..on field...mess hall will not get you the virus...it's not floating around in the air searching out new hosts...it's transmitted with contact, and specific contact...plain and simple...so players going back and forth from dorm to facility for training camp is  pretty easy to maintain and manage...and if it has to come down to re-test after each game...so be it...the premise that people are throwing around about any team functions are impossible is silly...
You're completely ignoring the other people required to make that work. The food prep and serving staff, the cleaners, the equipment staff, the laundry staff, and so on. All these people interact with the players and the coaches on a daily basis. They aren't going to be in quarantine for the season and they can bring the virus in. It's the same issue that you see in long term care homes. The quarantined folks don't spread the disease until they get it from an outside source.

Another question that comes to mind is "Is it even a good idea to fly people in from all over Canada, the US and even some European cities, most of whom have a much bigger Covid-19 problem, to a low Covid-19 city like Winnipeg?"

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2020, 02:53:59 PM »

You're completely ignoring the other people required to make that work. The food prep and serving staff, the cleaners, the equipment staff, the laundry staff, and so on. All these people interact with the players and the coaches on a daily basis. They aren't going to be in quarantine for the season and they can bring the virus in. It's the same issue that you see in long term care homes. The quarantined folks don't spread the disease until they get it from an outside source.

Another question that comes to mind is "Is it even a good idea to fly people in from all over Canada, the US and even some European cities, most of whom have a much bigger Covid-19 problem, to a low Covid-19 city like Winnipeg?"

Four Canadian cities currently have international flights.  And those four cities have the highest outbreak numbers.  I don't believe in coincidences.

Government of Manitoba's stand on the issue is quite clear.  Out of provincers are not welcome officially, and won't be until long after the SOE has been lifted, which has been extended again.

Season ain't happening folks.  But the good news is all the 90 Day Fiance rejects now have their own shows, so I guess we can all watch that instead of football I guess.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2020, 05:24:51 AM »

You are 100% correct.  Hence why I referenced the Formula 1 model.  They will create a "biosphere" at each race venue that will include all the misc and sundry staff required in the "all clean" biosphere.  There will be no "outside source".

Of course, the whole "more money than God" thing... hard for the CFL to replicate it, and as soon as you travel to another venue, you have to start the whole process over again.  That's why maybe the only way it can work in the CFL is to lock away the players and all support staff as well as everyone else required, for many weeks at a time in one venue and play all the games there.  Too bad the CFL couldn't afford to pay the hundreds (thousands?) of people it would require.  So, a pipe dream for us... but still will be interesting to watch F1 pull it off.

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: