Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2020, 07:05:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: ?
Yes - 4 (11.4%)
No - 19 (54.3%)
Wouldn't help anyway - 3 (8.6%)
Don't have seasons but would donate anyway - 6 (17.1%)
Maybe - 3 (8.6%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you donate your season tickets to help keep league alive?  (Read 2311 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2020, 12:59:11 PM »

Who knows - that would go beyond anything I'd be able to even guess at. Maybe, probably? Some bonus money might have been paid out, but lots of contracts probably have other bonuses behind training camp, starts, performance, etc - those criteria obviously aren't being met. I think players get paid per game (hence game day cheque and the importance of being on the 46-man roster). Obviously that criteria isn't being met by anybody.

I can imagine that some players will request their releases once they miss their 1st game check. 2nd year players for example? It's not unreasonable that some players may decide to try to get NFL TC offers.

The catch 22 is that even the NFL season is not certain.

2020 CFL rookies now invited to TC may choose to not stick around as well. Technically teams can't even determine their 46 man roster without TC.

EDIT: Well today is when rookie camp was to start. Regular season was due to start 06/11.  The clock is ticking at the moment. I hope the league and players association are meeting to discuss some type of mitigation.

I can only hope there is some sort of solution's put in place even if there is no 2020 season. What that will look like I have no idea, only questions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:09:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 06:15:18 PM »

American players pay taxes taken off their game day cheques here just the same as the Canadian guys...the idea they don't, and shouldnt be allowed same concessions as their Canadian counterparts is absurd

It absolutely is not and is a real political challenge. The feds are not keen to bail out US athletes living in the US.  If you don't believe me, then why not check out Dave Naylor's article that he published last night. You can see this coming from a miillleeeee away.

https://www.tsn.ca/naylor-cfl-s-unique-qualities-complicate-financial-situation-1.1474899

@rwesthead
If the CFL receives federal aid, Liberal MP Peter Fragiskatos told me Monday it would be ?alarming? if that emergency relief was used to pay American football players living in the U.S. ?The supports announced by the government are for the benefit of Canadians and the country."
booch

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2020, 10:06:18 PM »

It absolutely is not and is a real political challenge. The feds are not keen to bail out US athletes living in the US.  If you don't believe me, then why not check out Dave Naylor's article that he published last night. You can see this coming from a miillleeeee away.

https://www.tsn.ca/naylor-cfl-s-unique-qualities-complicate-financial-situation-1.1474899

@rwesthead
If the CFL receives federal aid, Liberal MP Peter Fragiskatos told me Monday it would be ?alarming? if that emergency relief was used to pay American football players living in the U.S. ?The supports announced by the government are for the benefit of Canadians and the country."

Then if that is the case CFL American p[layers should be exempt from having to pay EI...as well as income tax and only pay their tax upon returning to the U.S....Why make a player ...or person pay for something they will have no benefit from...or chance to ever use?

That MP shot off his yap...without researching to find out that the U.S players pay the same crap us us Canadians have to...and if they want to be knobs about it then allow them to cross the border to their respective teams cities...self quarantine and let them benefit for what they paid for...it's no different than allowing these flights from all corners of the earth bringing Canadians back from wherever they have been....have the players follow the same re-entry conditions
blue girl

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 10:49:43 PM »

I don't think that MP has any clue what he's talking about. Especially when he says we shouldn't be paying Americans sitting at home. Training camp was supposed to open this week. I think most of if not all of these players would rather be coming up here. But unfortunately this has been taken away from them. And I'm sure that they contribute to the economy to purchase meals. As a matter of fact when I was working next door to The Radisson downtown players from other teams would shop where I was working.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:13:22 PM by blue girl » Logged
Pigskin

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2020, 02:40:46 AM »

Nice to hear that after making there stadium payment of 2.2M, the bombers turned a profit of just under 600K. Considering the bombers had to purchase Grey Cup rings and didn't have a home playoff game this year, I am okay with 600K.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:44:45 AM by Pigskin » Logged
dd

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2020, 02:56:46 AM »

The cfl shouldn?t get any further bailout $$ that the average Canadian is entitled to, there?s programs in place already for Canadians to access, including football players.
blue_or_die

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2020, 10:56:13 AM »

Then if that is the case CFL American p[layers should be exempt from having to pay EI...as well as income tax and only pay their tax upon returning to the U.S....Why make a player ...or person pay for something they will have no benefit from...or chance to ever use?

That MP shot off his yap...without researching to find out that the U.S players pay the same crap us us Canadians have to...and if they want to be knobs about it then allow them to cross the border to their respective teams cities...self quarantine and let them benefit for what they paid for...it's no different than allowing these flights from all corners of the earth bringing Canadians back from wherever they have been....have the players follow the same re-entry conditions

But we aren't talking about them accessing EI (if they are paying into it), we are talking about using bailout money to pay players in full. I'm not sure that particular MP was unaware that they pay taxes, but just because you pay Canadian taxes for a few years doesn't mean you can get your full pay cheque with bailout money. I know plenty of people who have paid Canadian taxes their whole life who are out of work and are laid off and not getting paid. They are receiving CERB, a fraction of their regular pay. If the CFL paid players in full with Canadian taxpayer money, they would be treated better than anyone else out of work right now.

And I still don't think the government will go through any bother to create special travel provisions just for CFL players.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »

I don't think that MP has any clue what he's talking about. Especially when he says we shouldn't be paying Americans sitting at home. Training camp was supposed to open this week. I think most of if not all of these players would rather be coming up here. But unfortunately this has been taken away from them. And I'm sure that they contribute to the economy to purchase meals. As a matter of fact when I was working next door to The Radisson downtown players from other teams would shop where I was working.

To be clear, you don't think the MP has any idea about politics?  Okie dokie.

The politics behind paying American citizens in full or part with Canadian money is about the most obvious giant political challenge that just about anyone with any amount of political awareness could see from 110 yards away.

The odds of it happening are about the same as a Milt Stegall miracle. Any money the CFL is given is going to have to be explained beforehand by the CFL.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:46:04 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
the paw

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »

To be clear, you don't think the MP has any idea about politics?  Okie dokie.

The politics behind paying American citizens in full or part with Canadian money is about the most obvious giant political challenge that just about anyone with any amount of political awareness could see from 110 yards away.

The odds of it happening are about a Milt Stegall miracle away. Any money the CFL is given is going to have to be explained beforehand by the CFL.

I think it matters where the players reside off season.  If a guy is living in a CFL city, maybe with his family, and he can't work, I think we have an obligation to him. (I also think we have a similar obligation to foreign workers at the Brandon Maple Leaf plant who are here on visas).  But if a guy is sitting at home in Tuscaloosa, then I think it's on the American government to provide income support. 

I think that is politically and logically defensible. I don't know how the CFLPA would react to that scenario.  Maybe they agree on a stipend for all players and for players-resident-in-Canada, the government reimburses the team, and for those in the US, the team eats it.  For sure, I think full salary will be off the table though. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »

Well, citizenship isn't really the issue. It's residency. Where an individual resides for the majority of the year is what determines eligibility as far as things like EI, healthcare, and other such social benefits.

A CFL player who is a US citizen but resides in Canada for the bulk of the year contributes to those by the taxes he pays. That would deem him eligible for such benefits. It's no different than any other foreign national who's here as temporary resident and spends the majority of his/her time in Canada and pays taxes via employment.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »

I think it matters where the players reside off season.  If a guy is living in a CFL city, maybe with his family, and he can't work, I think we have an obligation to him. (I also think we have a similar obligation to foreign workers at the Brandon Maple Leaf plant who are here on visas).  But if a guy is sitting at home in Tuscaloosa, then I think it's on the American government to provide income support. 

I think that is politically and logically defensible. I don't know how the CFLPA would react to that scenario.  Maybe they agree on a stipend for all players and for players-resident-in-Canada, the government reimburses the team, and for those in the US, the team eats it.  For sure, I think full salary will be off the table though. 

I think the CFLPA probably ends up being the sacrificial lamb in this scenario, the CFL on it's own should have little difficulty negotiating a deal with the Feds. for a loan to keep the lights on and remain in hibernation mode until they can resume normal operations again next season, say 5 million a piece.  Throw the P.A. into the mix and the whole solution becomes much more expensive, complex, antagonistic and politically more difficult to sell to the general public.  Players are used to getting cut, I predict they're going to feel the knife again when they're cut out of this deal.  Canadian players will be available for some assistance through CERB, American players will get the sharp end of a pointed stick.  Without the CFL the CFLPA no longer exists, sometimes it's necessary for adults to make deals for the long-term betterment of their children that they may not initially comprehend.  This is one of those scenarios.
the paw

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2020, 03:57:20 PM »

I think the CFLPA probably ends up being the sacrificial lamb in this scenario, the CFL on it's own should have little difficulty negotiating a deal with the Feds. for a loan to keep the lights on and remain in hibernation mode until they can resume normal operations again next season, say 5 million a piece.  Throw the P.A. into the mix and the whole solution becomes much more expensive, complex, antagonistic and politically more difficult to sell to the general public.  Players are used to getting cut, I predict they're going to feel the knife again when they're cut out of this deal.  Canadian players will be available for some assistance through CERB, American players will get the sharp end of a pointed stick.  Without the CFL the CFLPA no longer exists, sometimes it's necessary for adults to make deals for the long-term betterment of their children that they may not initially comprehend.  This is one of those scenarios.

I don't think so.  Players are going to take a hit, no question.  But the feds are not going to shovel money to Braley, Young and the other rich operators while the players get bupkis.  Seriously, even for a community-owned team, how could you justify keeping Wade Miller and Kyle Walters on the payroll while the players get nothing.   If the CFL insists on treating players like a commodity, then they will blow the deal with the feds. 

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2020, 04:48:13 PM »

I don't think so.  Players are going to take a hit, no question.  But the feds are not going to shovel money to Braley, Young and the other rich operators while the players get bupkis.  Seriously, even for a community-owned team, how could you justify keeping Wade Miller and Kyle Walters on the payroll while the players get nothing.   If the CFL insists on treating players like a commodity, then they will blow the deal with the feds. 

If the wealthy owners can illustrate that the CFL teams they own actually lose money year after year, they have a strong case in asking for assistance....seems to work for oil companies.  Both Braley and Young could legitimately claim that they are running charity organizations that provide entertainment for their communities, rather than a business enterprise that fattens their wallets.  As for the players being commodities.....I don't know how to break this to you but that is basically what they are.

All I'm really saying is the CFL has more hope of receiving a $30 million loan than it does a $150 million loan.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:55:28 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
the paw

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2020, 05:04:00 PM »

If the wealthy owners can illustrate that the CFL teams they own actually lose money year after year, they have a strong case in asking for assistance....seems to work for oil companies.  Both Braley and Young could legitimately claim that they are running charity organizations that provide entertainment for their communities, rather than a business enterprise that fattens their wallets.  As for the players being commodities.....I don't know how to break this to you but that is basically what they are.

All I'm really saying is the CFL has more hope of receiving a $30 million loan than it does a $150 million loan.

That's weak tea, my friend.  If Braley and Young want to cast themselves as charities in entrepreneurial clothing, they are going to have to answer why it appears they are so inept at it, when the actual community-owned teams are turning profits to the tune of $3.5 million annually.  If I was an MP and private sector tycoons wanted me to underwrite the losses of their plaything of the moment, I would be tempted to propose they donate the franchise to a community-owned model and take a seat as a community volunteer. 

And I think the view of players as commodities is not uncommon, its pretty clear Ambrosie thinks of them that way, his own history notwithstanding.  But its not a very enlightened approach to labour relations, and based on the initial response from the MPs, it will not serve their plea for funds very well to continue in that vein. 

But, in the final analysis, I agree that a $30 million loan is a much easier intervention to sell politically.  I'm just not sure it will be adequate to the task. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue girl

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2020, 07:53:02 PM »

The more that I think about it the more I think that it's time for the private owners to cover some of these costs. How many times have the community owned teams had to bail out private owners?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: