Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2020, 07:18:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential format to salvage at least half of the CFL season  (Read 3091 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2020, 05:05:30 PM »

Some of you are weird on what you debate on here  Roll Eyes

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »

Now that doesn't sound like someone from section 223, unless that was 30 years ago! 
Grey Cup in Dec, as long as we're in it - hells ya!  Grin

No question, I'd be there !!

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2020, 06:36:37 PM »

Yeah, I don't get it. What a strange hill upon which to die. Undecided

And it's not like we can talk football much these days.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
blue girl

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »

This is what happens when there's no football to discuss.  Cheesy
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »

This is what happens when there's no football to discuss.  Cheesy

Zackly right! LOL Cheesy

But really... this whole pandemic is garbage. Unprecedented garbage. Grin

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
NewBlue

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »

And some of you are just wierd  Tongue
NewBlue

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2020, 08:14:42 PM »

Zackly right! LOL Cheesy

But really... this whole pandemic is garbage. Unprecedented garbage. Grin

OK, Now I agree!  Grin
blue_or_die

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2020, 11:32:26 AM »

So far my philosophy has been not entertaining false hope and empty theories but whatever, it?s something to talk about and is being talked about by the decision makers.

Hearing stuff about Winnipeg and Regina being host cities, being in the two places with among the lowest infections. Close proximity means teams can travel between cities by bus when necessary. Also, central time zones for reasonable scheduling for TV. Interesting.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TBURGESS

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2020, 03:25:19 PM »

I don't see the 'Hub City' concept as being particularly viable in the CFL.

I can't imagine that the CFL has the money to keep 500+ Players, Coaches and Support Staff in quarantine for long periods of time. I also can't imagine that they'd all be forced to fend for themselves to find that many places to live for 4 months in Regina and Winnipeg if they only have to quarantine for 14 days.

We all know that the CFL relies heavily on gate revenues. How many in Wpg and Regina want to go to the stadium to watch 2 games a week, every week, especially when one or both don't have the home team playing? Would they even fill a third of the seats? (Unless social distancing rules are severely relaxed, I don't see the stadium being allowed to be more than a third full and they'll lose the booze/food revenue).

What would the cost be for season tickets for 2 games a week be?
Double headers' so they don't have to prep the stadium twice? If so, how would they clear then disinfect the locker rooms between games?
Does either city have enough practice/locker/living space for 4 or 5 teams or are some teams in Saskatoon and Brandon during the week?

To add to the conversation... Dave Naylor's take from last night.

David William Naylor @TSNDaveNaylor 14h
The 2020 @CFL  season comes down to this: find a way to make the economics of Western Canadian hub-cities model work (difficult) or hope things improve enough in Ontario/Quebec to allow teams to congregate and some fans to attend games (unknown). #CFL

David William Naylor @TSNDaveNaylor 15h
Something else I believe the @CFL is doing is starting to consider how it?s business model and cost structure may have to change for the next several years. I believe every league must be doing the same. For the CFL this is essential for survival. #CFL

I?m asked a lot if I?m optimistic there will be a @CFL season. Truth is I am not. And a lot of the people I speak to around the league are not. But I will say this ... they are trying. And if the 2020 season is cancelled, it won?t be from a lack of effort or care. #CFL

American players are able to cross the US border if they have their work visas. #CFL

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
theaardvark

« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2020, 06:40:56 PM »

I still think parking a couple cruise ships off the east coast and play in Moncton, 3 games a week... officials, broadcasters, etc all sequestered...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »

I don't see the 'Hub City' concept as being particularly viable in the CFL.

I can't imagine that the CFL has the money to keep 500+ Players, Coaches and Support Staff in quarantine for long periods of time. I also can't imagine that they'd all be forced to fend for themselves to find that many places to live for 4 months in Regina and Winnipeg if they only have to quarantine for 14 days.

We all know that the CFL relies heavily on gate revenues. How many in Wpg and Regina want to go to the stadium to watch 2 games a week, every week, especially when one or both don't have the home team playing? Would they even fill a third of the seats? (Unless social distancing rules are severely relaxed, I don't see the stadium being allowed to be more than a third full and they'll lose the booze/food revenue).

What would the cost be for season tickets for 2 games a week be?
Double headers' so they don't have to prep the stadium twice? If so, how would they clear then disinfect the locker rooms between games?
Does either city have enough practice/locker/living space for 4 or 5 teams or are some teams in Saskatoon and Brandon during the week?

To add to the conversation... Dave Naylor's take from last night.

David William Naylor @TSNDaveNaylor 14h
The 2020 @CFL  season comes down to this: find a way to make the economics of Western Canadian hub-cities model work (difficult) or hope things improve enough in Ontario/Quebec to allow teams to congregate and some fans to attend games (unknown). #CFL

Something else I believe the @CFL is doing is starting to consider how it?s business model and cost structure may have to change for the next several years. I believe every league must be doing the same. For the CFL this is essential for survival. #CFL

I?m asked a lot if I?m optimistic there will be a @CFL season. Truth is I am not. And a lot of the people I speak to around the league are not. But I will say this ... they are trying. And if the 2020 season is cancelled, it won?t be from a lack of effort or care. #CFL

American players are able to cross the US border if they have their work visas. #CFL

I agree with you. I was only posting for conversation sake. If anything, I?m more intrigued that the CFL is taking these far out ideas so seriously when they seemed so destined to fail and in no way fit the
League economic model.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »

This would have been GAME DAY  Angry

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
blue girl

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »

I believe that the reason that The CFL is coming up with these ideas is that if they do nothing they won't get any federal money. If they at least try to come up with ideas they can say that they made an effort to make money but they need help.
Blue In BC

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2020, 03:30:05 PM »

The CFL may or may not get government money. I'm waiting to see whether teams pay players for the 2020 season regardless of that outcome. We don't know exactly what's written into the CFLPA if a partial or complete loss of a season occurs.

My concern is that if players aren't getting paid they will want their release. If there is no 2020 season IMO this could be the demise of the CFL. Not wanting to be that pessimistic but everything revolves around money. No money = serious short and long term issues.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2020, 07:51:30 PM »

I was fishing with an X bomber this weekend and he was telling me that a few bombers take a portion of there money in early January. They take the rest monthly for next 11 months.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: