Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 01:26:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential format to salvage at least half of the CFL season  (Read 2906 times)
mondo3

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »

Actually, I?d guess they would open the border for athletes
Jesse

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »

I doubt it.

Sports are the last thing returning. At least in Canada.

My wife is amazing!
ichabod_crane

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 02:40:01 AM »

I'm normally a glass half full kind of person so like to keep any potential options open as long as possible. Who knows, maybe next week they discover a virus vaccine or a cure (very low probability, but not impossible either)! The situation keeps changing by the week so I'm not a doomsday prepper at this point on cashing out the CFL season until we have no other choice. I will agree though that the odds are definitely not in favour of it happening if things remain as is.

What truly worries me more is can the league even survive if 2020 is wiped out? A few teams probably can, but I doubt all. I would maybe advocate trying to getting a loan from the NFL if need be like many years ago, but then they would want some further concessions from the CFL very likely. Maybe too much of a deal with the devil to pursue! Wink I'm sure the CFL movers and shakers are researching all kinds of alternatives for survival financing. To me Ambroise is more just rattling the cage at this early stage to scare the politicians to handing over some cash or very low interest financing. Very hard for me to see them giving straight out bailout money without other sports leagues come calling.  Then there is the players themselves and their incomes as these guys are not sitting pretty as the rich boys club in the NFL/NHL/MLB or NBA who if were smart kept a bit of a kitty to help them ride through these rough times.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 12:06:33 PM »

Based on what? Athletes are not essential employees and sporting events are not an essential service. Also, allowing them to enter into the country would create a slippery slope scenario. What about other entertainers, artists, musicians, etc.? That'd be a logistical nightmare.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
bigbuff33

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 12:53:44 PM »

Do you think the CFL can afford to do testing of the players and coaches on a daily basis?

Breaks my heart to think of no more CFL...but until this pandemic is over...I'm afraid there'll be no CFL...
Because of TV contracts in the billions, the NFL can play to empty stadiums...

bluebeard

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »

If this is the case...we may have won the last Grey Cup if a second wave of Covid hits this winter.  Not a pleasant thought but realistically a permanent solution could be years away.  Without Quebec and Ontario Cities, the CFL as we know it, would not be.  Would a new league be formed??  It appears to be an uncertain future for football in this country. Cry
the paw

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »

Based on what? Athletes are not essential employees and sporting events are not an essential service. Also, allowing them to enter into the country would create a slippery slope scenario. What about other entertainers, artists, musicians, etc.? That'd be a logistical nightmare.

Pro athletes have been getting preferential access to MRIs, and kid glove expedited treatment for border issues for a long time.  I don't think the extremely vague definition of "essential employee" would be what keeps them out.   Gardening centers and hair salons are now open, so I think we need to realize its more about the risk profile for the sector.

If the CFL could find a way to play games, I suspect players would be allowed to do a two week quarantine and then participate.  But i don't think that will happen, because the spectator issue creates too high a risk level, and empty stadium games are not financially viable for the CFL.  This issue might resolve differently for the NHL though. 

grab grass 'n growl
buckzumhoff

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 03:49:16 PM »

They  could have minimized crowds and have pay per view. You pay as much to watch the game on tv . Tsn got a g ood deal showing all the games to no blackouts  in any area.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:56:15 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
buckzumhoff

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »

Hopefully things get better and things can get going .
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »

Pro athletes have been getting preferential access to MRIs, and kid glove expedited treatment for border issues for a long time.  I don't think the extremely vague definition of "essential employee" would be what keeps them out.   Gardening centers and hair salons are now open, so I think we need to realize its more about the risk profile for the sector.

If the CFL could find a way to play games, I suspect players would be allowed to do a two week quarantine and then participate.  But i don't think that will happen, because the spectator issue creates too high a risk level, and empty stadium games are not financially viable for the CFL.  This issue might resolve differently for the NHL though. 

Yeah, and that was all before this pandemic occurred. There's probably a case to be made for what's wrong with such entitlement in light of this crisis, IMO. And I'm not sure if that's justification for affording non-essential, non-resident workers preferential treatment at this time, particularly at the border where front line CBSA officers are trying to manage the existing volumes of essential goods and services still crossing to keep Canada's supply chain intact. It just seems like a needless risk to me, especially when you look at the circumstances in the US.

I also think there would need to be some form of testing at the border and that cost would likely fall at the feet of the CFL; the federal gov't would want some sort of cost recovery on that. I doubt the CFL could afford it based on its current precarious financial situation.

I just don't see sports being a priority in 2020.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
the paw

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »

Yeah, and that was all before this pandemic occurred. There's probably a case to be made for what's wrong with such entitlement in light of this crisis, IMO. And I'm not sure if that's justification for affording non-essential, non-resident workers preferential treatment at this time, particularly at the border where front line CBSA officers are trying to manage the existing volumes of essential goods and services still crossing to keep Canada's supply chain intact. It just seems like a needless risk to me, especially when you look at the circumstances in the US.

I also think there would need to be some form of testing at the border and that cost would likely fall at the feet of the CFL; the federal gov't would want some sort of cost recovery on that. I doubt the CFL could afford it based on its current precarious financial situation.

I just don't see sports being a priority in 2020.

Just to be clear, I am not disagreeing with your value statement that pro athletes should not be considered essential workers.  If I was Czar, I would likely be implementing a policy/interpretation along the lines you suggest.  But I'm not, and we can see all kinds of weird priorities being advanced right now.  Things that you and I don't feel are justified seem super important to others. 

Case in point, Lyle Bauer thinks we can socially distance in IGF stadium.  (3downnation article) I don't know if he has ever gone for a leak with the plebes in IGF, but the configuration of the washroom has so many bottlenecks, its virtually impossible to social distance unless you go one at a time.  How do you get to a seat in the middle of a row, with social distancing?  I used to think Lyle was reasonably smart, but he's clearly speaking more from emotion than any sense of spatial relations.  And there is a lot of that going around right now...

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 05:03:51 PM »

Peter King's Football Morning in America column today features an interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci. He talks about the issues that the NFL faces medically with respect to re-starting and Covid. Would apply to football of any kind.

I don't know how they'd reopen the border to athletes. Firstly, I think the notion of that is absurd. Secondly, though air travel throughout the US is still happening, trans-border air travel with passengers has been limited to repatriation flights. Only Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal were even receiving repatriation flights. Until that changes, there will be no special access. I also don't believe that there should be special access.

I love sports as much as anyone, and I miss the live events, but the economy is going to be in shambles after this is over. Sports is important, but it is not the only thing. Perhaps this is a giant market correction for sports. Perhaps it is just a blip. Nevertheless, my opinion today is that the 2020 season is toast. At my most optimistic, an 8-game season (play everyone once) with a full-league final standing an playoff is about as hopeful as I would be for CFL football this year.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue girl

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »

Speaking as someone who uses our sidewalks, grocery stores, public transit and hospital waiting rooms I think that social distancing in the stadium could work. Like in the hospital everyone would have their temperature taken when they enter the stadium. With the seating you would have to have people sit two or three seats apart and if someone in the middle wanted to get up everyone would have to get up and let them pass. You would have to either shut down the concessions and washrooms or have someone monitoring them for crowds. These are just some ideas that I have and believe me our sidewalks and the aisles in grocery stores aren't very wide. 
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »

Just to be clear, I am not disagreeing with your value statement that pro athletes should not be considered essential workers.  If I was Czar, I would likely be implementing a policy/interpretation along the lines you suggest.  But I'm not, and we can see all kinds of weird priorities being advanced right now.  Things that you and I don't feel are justified seem super important to others. 

Case in point, Lyle Bauer thinks we can socially distance in IGF stadium.  (3downnation article) I don't know if he has ever gone for a leak with the plebes in IGF, but the configuration of the washroom has so many bottlenecks, its virtually impossible to social distance unless you go one at a time.  How do you get to a seat in the middle of a row, with social distancing?  I used to think Lyle was reasonably smart, but he's clearly speaking more from emotion than any sense of spatial relations.  And there is a lot of that going around right now...

I think we're both agreeing with one another in general. I just hope the powers that be use common sense and science based reasoning when it comes important decisions involving societal elements vis a vis this ongoing health crisis.

Lyle Bauer is clearly speaking from emotion and not logic. Unfortunately, opinions like his tend to fuel the fires of ignorance.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Donny C

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 11:26:22 PM »

Speaking as someone who uses our sidewalks, grocery stores, public transit and hospital waiting rooms I think that social distancing in the stadium could work. Like in the hospital everyone would have their temperature taken when they enter the stadium. With the seating you would have to have people sit two or three seats apart and if someone in the middle wanted to get up everyone would have to get up and let them pass. You would have to either shut down the concessions and washrooms or have someone monitoring them for crowds. These are just some ideas that I have and believe me our sidewalks and the aisles in grocery stores aren't very wide. 

How is that going to work with around 20,000 season ticket members?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: