Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 02:41:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential format to salvage at least half of the CFL season  (Read 2916 times)
ichabod_crane

« on: May 07, 2020, 11:40:06 PM »

Just throwing it out there and other alternatives certainly possible (let's hear them!) for any possible way for the CFL to salvage at least half the season. Maybe a 9 game season starting Labour Day if they still want to keep Grey Cup game date as scheduled on November 22. 10 game season with same start date then would somehow need to move Grey Cup one week later (if even possible logistically). No byes. Schedule would have to be adjusted to pack all games in. Top 3 in each division make playoffs + two wildcards. Lowest wild card plays top division winner. Other wild card plays the other division winner. Wild cards can cross into other division if that is how it plays out. Gives you 4 semi-final playoff games (2 extra playoff games for gate & tv than normal).

THIS ALL depends if they can hold any basic training camp in August though and maybe only one or no pre-season games.  Maybe have to front load some extra games in cities already fully opened up and others later not fully open to large gatherings early on. When desperate do whatever you can. If all mass gatherings still locked down in every CFL city by mid-August then lock up the barn I guess. Any later than Labour Day weekend to open the season will almost certainly make it toast too unless they want to play into December (was more normal back in 1950's-60's). Lots of other logistics to deal with around this to make such a thing happen, but start the planning of such scenarios now in case it can be pulled off.

NFL did a 9 game regular season back in 1982 due to a players strike. They added extra playoff teams that season (8 per conference). Was not really considered a tainted season that I recall (Washington won the Super Bowl - former Argo Joe Theisman their QB!).

BLUE BOMBERS GREY CUP CHAMPS FOR TWO YEARS running as a consolation prize otherwise! Wink  May be of little consolation if it folds the league though.
jdrattops

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 02:46:50 AM »

I could go for this, but feel it is still a stretch.  Unfortunately our friends south of the border are going to keep North America shut for 2020.  CFL players are going to have to figure a way into Canada, isolate and be here in July in order to have a season that would start on Labour Day weekend.  I?m not sure this will be doable.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 02:48:31 AM by jdrattops » Logged
gobombersgo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 06:06:54 AM »

Best case scenario would be an 8 game season starting Labour Day weekend. This would allow for a bye week for each team and teams wouldn't have to play on short weeks. The Playoff games and Grey Cup would also be able to be played on their scheduled dates in November.

I think the latest they can start an 8 game season would be the last week of Sept. Due to the late start the playoffs would be held in December. Because of this I'd play all playoff games at BC Place. One game could be played on Saturday and one on Sunday for the 1st two rounds.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 06:44:48 AM »

I like your thinking.  A 8-10 game season seems doable.  If a city is still locked down (maybe CGY? maybe MTL?) then play their games at the opponent's barn until/if their city unlocks.  If that means they don't get many home games, so be it.

Definitely no byes.  I'm not sure the playoff format has to change much at all, but it's the least of the concerns.

Things will have to be planned well in advance so we can find ways to get the Americans all up here and through any quarantine they may require.  Might have to just ditch all the globals for one season or it starts to get too complicated -- fighting with 1 country and all the red tape will be hard enough.

If required, I say you push back the season and play into December, if that's what it takes (like Ichabod says).  I'd get my butt into IGF no matter how cold it is.  A late season is better than no season.

Here's an insane idea... if they can't get the Americans up here, can we have a season with only NATs??  Well, NATs plus any Americans who are now living in Canada year-round if they are already currently here.  Does every team have enough on the AR & PR & draft/neglist?  I think it could just be done, no?  No depth, but just enough for a full AR?

Now that would be one crazy season.

Never go full Rider!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »

I think they should try for middle or late july or August but then depends on what happens in other provinces. The most affected I think would be the players but since they are together all the time and football doesnt travel as much as hockey teams. Football is only once a week. If hockey comes back they will play three games a week even with home stands.

Sec223

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »

The chances of the Americans being able to cross the border are slim. If they can't but the Bison's season goes forward let's support the hell out of them ?
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »

The chances of the Americans being able to cross the border are slim.

This is the biggest obstacle, IMO. I can't see the Canada-US border opening to non-essential travel for a good while.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
blue_or_die

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:24:11 PM »

This has all been discussed. By the half way point of a normal year I still can't see the border opening up to Americans and I still don't see policy makers allowing 30,000 people to sit next to each other for 3+ hours.

Guys, this isn't happening, I'm sorry to say.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 12:29:47 PM »

This has all been discussed. By the half way point of a normal year I still can't see the border opening up to Americans and I still don't see policy makers allowing 30,000 people to sit next to each other for 3+ hours.

I don't want to agree with you but logically, I have to. Wink

I'm glad Ambrosie is being realistic about what's going on right now.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
bigbuff33

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 12:56:03 PM »

Sadly, the league doesn't have money to pay the bills until September (and even then, fans won't be allowed in the stadium.)
It's heartbreaking situation.
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 01:00:51 PM »

Go to six man squads, like Legends football.  Keep the field size... can you imagine?  Like 3 on 3 hockey...

But is that a "season"? 

8 games, playoffs in one place, just does not seem worth it.

Take the year.  Save lives.  Including your's and your family's.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 01:18:20 PM »

I have to agree.

Calgary's cancelled all public events till the end of August. I doubt the border will open up to players. They'd have to self isolate for 14 days before they could even practice if they could get over the border. I can't imagine football outdoors mid December in the prairies and I can't imagine that many folks would go to BC place to watch all the playoffs.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »

As fans, we are craving some sort of hope that there will be some sort of season. As evidenced by this thread, there are some reasoned suggestions and some that are way out in left field. I have no doubt that the commissioner and the league governors have tossed around any and every scenario that would be even somewhat reasonable.

Ultimately, if players cannot cross the border, there is no season. A season with replacement players that are only Canadians or Americans who live in Canada full-time just doesn't seem reasonable. Who's going to quarterback these teams? For some, who's going to coach these teams? Also, with no fans in the stands, the teams will incur expenses and have limited revenue to actually pay for those expenses. They'd likely be better off without playing at all.

I saw that Borussia Dortmund in the German Bundesliga has begun giving fans the option of paying 20 Euros to have a cardboard likeness of themselves in the stadium. It will give the appearance of fans and will help support the team financially. I'd pay $20 to have a cardboard me in the stadium if it would help keep things afloat. I'd just ask that the cardboard me be slightly thinner and a bit younger.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
dd

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »

The border is not going to open up, American players can?t get here, face reality already, the season is done.
Waffler

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »

I thought this was half fantasy, just to imagine what it would look like. Spitballing if you will. Practicality being a different issue.

Hard to say what is possible since we don't yet know the glorious day when games can be played again, be it this year or next. But putting on my fantasy hat...

Simplest: 8 game season. Play everyone once. One big league, no east/west in playoffs.

Craziest: If we are not having fans then a tournament in one city lasting 8 weeks.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »

Actually, I?d guess they would open the border for athletes
Jesse

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »

I doubt it.

Sports are the last thing returning. At least in Canada.

My wife is amazing!
ichabod_crane

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 02:40:01 AM »

I'm normally a glass half full kind of person so like to keep any potential options open as long as possible. Who knows, maybe next week they discover a virus vaccine or a cure (very low probability, but not impossible either)! The situation keeps changing by the week so I'm not a doomsday prepper at this point on cashing out the CFL season until we have no other choice. I will agree though that the odds are definitely not in favour of it happening if things remain as is.

What truly worries me more is can the league even survive if 2020 is wiped out? A few teams probably can, but I doubt all. I would maybe advocate trying to getting a loan from the NFL if need be like many years ago, but then they would want some further concessions from the CFL very likely. Maybe too much of a deal with the devil to pursue! Wink I'm sure the CFL movers and shakers are researching all kinds of alternatives for survival financing. To me Ambroise is more just rattling the cage at this early stage to scare the politicians to handing over some cash or very low interest financing. Very hard for me to see them giving straight out bailout money without other sports leagues come calling.  Then there is the players themselves and their incomes as these guys are not sitting pretty as the rich boys club in the NFL/NHL/MLB or NBA who if were smart kept a bit of a kitty to help them ride through these rough times.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 12:06:33 PM »

Based on what? Athletes are not essential employees and sporting events are not an essential service. Also, allowing them to enter into the country would create a slippery slope scenario. What about other entertainers, artists, musicians, etc.? That'd be a logistical nightmare.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
bigbuff33

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 12:53:44 PM »

Do you think the CFL can afford to do testing of the players and coaches on a daily basis?

Breaks my heart to think of no more CFL...but until this pandemic is over...I'm afraid there'll be no CFL...
Because of TV contracts in the billions, the NFL can play to empty stadiums...

bluebeard

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »

If this is the case...we may have won the last Grey Cup if a second wave of Covid hits this winter.  Not a pleasant thought but realistically a permanent solution could be years away.  Without Quebec and Ontario Cities, the CFL as we know it, would not be.  Would a new league be formed??  It appears to be an uncertain future for football in this country. Cry
the paw

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »

Based on what? Athletes are not essential employees and sporting events are not an essential service. Also, allowing them to enter into the country would create a slippery slope scenario. What about other entertainers, artists, musicians, etc.? That'd be a logistical nightmare.

Pro athletes have been getting preferential access to MRIs, and kid glove expedited treatment for border issues for a long time.  I don't think the extremely vague definition of "essential employee" would be what keeps them out.   Gardening centers and hair salons are now open, so I think we need to realize its more about the risk profile for the sector.

If the CFL could find a way to play games, I suspect players would be allowed to do a two week quarantine and then participate.  But i don't think that will happen, because the spectator issue creates too high a risk level, and empty stadium games are not financially viable for the CFL.  This issue might resolve differently for the NHL though. 

grab grass 'n growl
buckzumhoff

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 03:49:16 PM »

They  could have minimized crowds and have pay per view. You pay as much to watch the game on tv . Tsn got a g ood deal showing all the games to no blackouts  in any area.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:56:15 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
buckzumhoff

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »

Hopefully things get better and things can get going .
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »

Pro athletes have been getting preferential access to MRIs, and kid glove expedited treatment for border issues for a long time.  I don't think the extremely vague definition of "essential employee" would be what keeps them out.   Gardening centers and hair salons are now open, so I think we need to realize its more about the risk profile for the sector.

If the CFL could find a way to play games, I suspect players would be allowed to do a two week quarantine and then participate.  But i don't think that will happen, because the spectator issue creates too high a risk level, and empty stadium games are not financially viable for the CFL.  This issue might resolve differently for the NHL though. 

Yeah, and that was all before this pandemic occurred. There's probably a case to be made for what's wrong with such entitlement in light of this crisis, IMO. And I'm not sure if that's justification for affording non-essential, non-resident workers preferential treatment at this time, particularly at the border where front line CBSA officers are trying to manage the existing volumes of essential goods and services still crossing to keep Canada's supply chain intact. It just seems like a needless risk to me, especially when you look at the circumstances in the US.

I also think there would need to be some form of testing at the border and that cost would likely fall at the feet of the CFL; the federal gov't would want some sort of cost recovery on that. I doubt the CFL could afford it based on its current precarious financial situation.

I just don't see sports being a priority in 2020.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
the paw

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »

Yeah, and that was all before this pandemic occurred. There's probably a case to be made for what's wrong with such entitlement in light of this crisis, IMO. And I'm not sure if that's justification for affording non-essential, non-resident workers preferential treatment at this time, particularly at the border where front line CBSA officers are trying to manage the existing volumes of essential goods and services still crossing to keep Canada's supply chain intact. It just seems like a needless risk to me, especially when you look at the circumstances in the US.

I also think there would need to be some form of testing at the border and that cost would likely fall at the feet of the CFL; the federal gov't would want some sort of cost recovery on that. I doubt the CFL could afford it based on its current precarious financial situation.

I just don't see sports being a priority in 2020.

Just to be clear, I am not disagreeing with your value statement that pro athletes should not be considered essential workers.  If I was Czar, I would likely be implementing a policy/interpretation along the lines you suggest.  But I'm not, and we can see all kinds of weird priorities being advanced right now.  Things that you and I don't feel are justified seem super important to others. 

Case in point, Lyle Bauer thinks we can socially distance in IGF stadium.  (3downnation article) I don't know if he has ever gone for a leak with the plebes in IGF, but the configuration of the washroom has so many bottlenecks, its virtually impossible to social distance unless you go one at a time.  How do you get to a seat in the middle of a row, with social distancing?  I used to think Lyle was reasonably smart, but he's clearly speaking more from emotion than any sense of spatial relations.  And there is a lot of that going around right now...

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 05:03:51 PM »

Peter King's Football Morning in America column today features an interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci. He talks about the issues that the NFL faces medically with respect to re-starting and Covid. Would apply to football of any kind.

I don't know how they'd reopen the border to athletes. Firstly, I think the notion of that is absurd. Secondly, though air travel throughout the US is still happening, trans-border air travel with passengers has been limited to repatriation flights. Only Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal were even receiving repatriation flights. Until that changes, there will be no special access. I also don't believe that there should be special access.

I love sports as much as anyone, and I miss the live events, but the economy is going to be in shambles after this is over. Sports is important, but it is not the only thing. Perhaps this is a giant market correction for sports. Perhaps it is just a blip. Nevertheless, my opinion today is that the 2020 season is toast. At my most optimistic, an 8-game season (play everyone once) with a full-league final standing an playoff is about as hopeful as I would be for CFL football this year.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue girl

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »

Speaking as someone who uses our sidewalks, grocery stores, public transit and hospital waiting rooms I think that social distancing in the stadium could work. Like in the hospital everyone would have their temperature taken when they enter the stadium. With the seating you would have to have people sit two or three seats apart and if someone in the middle wanted to get up everyone would have to get up and let them pass. You would have to either shut down the concessions and washrooms or have someone monitoring them for crowds. These are just some ideas that I have and believe me our sidewalks and the aisles in grocery stores aren't very wide. 
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »

Just to be clear, I am not disagreeing with your value statement that pro athletes should not be considered essential workers.  If I was Czar, I would likely be implementing a policy/interpretation along the lines you suggest.  But I'm not, and we can see all kinds of weird priorities being advanced right now.  Things that you and I don't feel are justified seem super important to others. 

Case in point, Lyle Bauer thinks we can socially distance in IGF stadium.  (3downnation article) I don't know if he has ever gone for a leak with the plebes in IGF, but the configuration of the washroom has so many bottlenecks, its virtually impossible to social distance unless you go one at a time.  How do you get to a seat in the middle of a row, with social distancing?  I used to think Lyle was reasonably smart, but he's clearly speaking more from emotion than any sense of spatial relations.  And there is a lot of that going around right now...

I think we're both agreeing with one another in general. I just hope the powers that be use common sense and science based reasoning when it comes important decisions involving societal elements vis a vis this ongoing health crisis.

Lyle Bauer is clearly speaking from emotion and not logic. Unfortunately, opinions like his tend to fuel the fires of ignorance.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Donny C

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 11:26:22 PM »

Speaking as someone who uses our sidewalks, grocery stores, public transit and hospital waiting rooms I think that social distancing in the stadium could work. Like in the hospital everyone would have their temperature taken when they enter the stadium. With the seating you would have to have people sit two or three seats apart and if someone in the middle wanted to get up everyone would have to get up and let them pass. You would have to either shut down the concessions and washrooms or have someone monitoring them for crowds. These are just some ideas that I have and believe me our sidewalks and the aisles in grocery stores aren't very wide. 

How is that going to work with around 20,000 season ticket members?
blue girl

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2020, 11:35:58 PM »

How is that going to work with around 20,000 season ticket members?
That could be a problem but a lot of people say that they won't be attending games anytime soon. After attending that game after the snowstorm I think that they could get 10,000-15,000 people in there. Season ticket holders would have to choose 2 games to attend on a first come basis. The rest of the games would be credited to next year. I just don't want to see the end of this league and if they can find another way to generate some revenue then that is the better solution.
blue_or_die

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2020, 12:14:31 AM »

That could be a problem but a lot of people say that they won't be attending games anytime soon. After attending that game after the snowstorm I think that they could get 10,000-15,000 people in there. Season ticket holders would have to choose 2 games to attend on a first come basis. The rest of the games would be credited to next year. I just don't want to see the end of this league and if they can find another way to generate some revenue then that is the better solution.

That revenue will need to exceed the cost of doing business, though. The CFL isn't huge cash cow and margins are pretty thin (if not a loss) at its best these days. Cutting gate revenue by half or more will only exacerbate that. Add in the cost of monitoring social distancing, extra sanitation measures, etc, etc...I don't see it happening.

the paw

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2020, 01:03:16 AM »

I admire your optimism, but I don't think the math works.  If someone sits in every third seat, you maintain about 5 ft of social distance left to right.  Let's call that close enough to 6 ft.  That takes 33,500 capacity down to 11, 150 or so.

But you also have to maintain social distance vertically.  That means you have to leave every second row vacant.  That takes your 11,150 down to less than 5600. 

Sitting for a 3 hour football game is way different than scooting past someone in the grocery aisle.  Large group events just aren't viable until the rate of infection drops down, and even then its going to mean masks for everyone, and vulnerable people staying home.

grab grass 'n growl
blue girl

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2020, 01:58:57 AM »

I just don't want to go down without a fight. If I did then I would have been dead years ago. If it's going to take 12-18 months to get a vaccine then next year will probably be wiped out also. And even a vaccine isn't the answer because how many people will refuse to get one. Besides the title of this thread is potential format to salvage at least half the CFL season. I was just making some suggestions.
Waffler

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »

Right on Blue Girl.  Also to consider as one factor, not the final word but CONSIDER:

Air currents, sunlight and just the fact that there is so much air to dilute the virus in an outdoor setting all mean that it's much harder for a virus to transmit outside, Houston said. The thing we could be clearest about and we know most about is almost nothing is transmitted efficiently out of doors.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2020, 03:27:26 PM »

I just don't want to go down without a fight. If I did then I would have been dead years ago. If it's going to take 12-18 months to get a vaccine then next year will probably be wiped out also. And even a vaccine isn't the answer because how many people will refuse to get one. Besides the title of this thread is potential format to salvage at least half the CFL season. I was just making some suggestions.

I didn't mean to come off overly critical, sorry if I did.  I do indeed admire your optimism, but I also hate to see people get their hopes up. 

I guess there is no harm in spitballing ideas, but part of that also has to be a reality check.   I see on 3downnation that Scott Mitchell estimated the maximum they could social distance at Tim Horton Field would be 4000. 

I think if there is a vaccine or if we get to that 60%+ herd immunity, then we are in a position where wearing masks and people deciding how much personal risk they are willing to accept becomes possible.   I don't expect that to happen this season, as it is likely there will be second wave of infection in the fall.   I could see the 2021 season happening though. 

grab grass 'n growl
Donny C

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »

If there is still social distancing measures in place that would not work as the club would have to ensure adequate spacing between families in the stands.

The more I think of all the details required the more of a logistical nightmare it becomes.

Not trying to jump on you, either. Just adding my thoughts to your comments.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:49:48 PM by Donny C » Logged
BlueInCgy

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2020, 05:03:10 PM »

I can?t see a scenario where this season plays out at this point.  Ignoring the logistics of international players and travelling teams (currently anyone coming in to Manitoba has to self isolate for 14 days), and even if you could operate on Argo level crowds with spacing, you still have problem common areas like washrooms to deal with.  You can?t simply lock them out, I am fairly certain any facility with an occupancy permit has to have adequate washroom facilities available.  So do you run a full time sanitation crew on every washroom, disinfecting all surfaces between users?  Nearly impossible to do.  Same thing with handrails in the concourse and the aisles.  Handrails are installed (generally) by code, so you cannot block them off, and some people need them, so they will be touched.
Blue In BC

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2020, 05:38:56 PM »

The NHL seems to be considering some version of finishing their season. Could be some games in a select number of stadiums with no fans.

I haven't heard all the details of their proposal yet. However the big question is the same as football. Are they expecting an exception for American players? Conversely why wouldn't the games all be played in the USA instead of Canada?

Obviously the same mutual problem with the border but their are more US teams than Canadian teams.

Will players want to leave their homes and be restricted in hotels when not practicing or playing? Are they willing to take a risk to their health?

What happens if 10-15% ( random number ) of players choose to NOT play due to risks?

So many problems to deal with for all sports even with no fans. Other leagues like NBA, MLB or NHL might be able to survive with no fans. For the CFL it's a larger problem IMO.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2020, 07:07:14 PM »

I am glad to see the AHL put an end to there season. NHL and NBA needs to follow so players get some closure to there seasons. The CFL will also have to come up with a game plan by the end of this month. Can't see it happening, but people can keep dreaming.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2020, 07:33:56 PM »

I am glad to see the AHL put an end to there season. NHL and NBA needs to follow so players get some closure to there seasons. The CFL will also have to come up with a game plan by the end of this month. Can't see it happening, but people can keep dreaming.

I agree.... another thing with the NHL is alot of players hove gone home over seas. Cant see them being able to fly back then start flying all over North America.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
blue girl

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2020, 08:07:01 PM »

I know that realistically there won't be a season. However it looks like the Bombers and the league haven't given up. I received an e-mail from Wade Miller today saying that they're working with the league and other outdoor venues to have some kind of season. Also they'll announce in the next 30 days when to pick up season ticket packages which will include a free face mask for each ticket. These will be available to the general public starting July 1. BTW I don't believe that families would have to sit apart. They don't on the buses and at least in the stadium we'd be outdoors.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2020, 10:10:34 PM »

I can?t see a scenario where this season plays out at this point.  Ignoring the logistics of international players and travelling teams (currently anyone coming in to Manitoba has to self isolate for 14 days), and even if you could operate on Argo level crowds with spacing, you still have problem common areas like washrooms to deal with.  You can?t simply lock them out, I am fairly certain any facility with an occupancy permit has to have adequate washroom facilities available.  So do you run a full time sanitation crew on every washroom, disinfecting all surfaces between users?  Nearly impossible to do. 

Pre-requisite to attend any games this year is you must be wearing Depends or similar upon gate entry! Cheesy Washroom issue resolved! Wink Indoor stadiums could be a bit stinky by end of game though! Cheesy

Concessions is another major problem. An ordered lineup is next to impossible with the crush that goes on at pre-game/halftime/post game.  Maybe allow BYOB and own food temporarily if desperate enough to hold some games. A major logistical mess for sure way beyond all these few points if mass gathering still not allowed in a few months (suites, entry and exit to and within the stadium with crowds, list goes on....).
Pigskin

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2020, 03:25:11 AM »

So let's say the stadium opens and the bombers allow 20,000 people and they sit 6 feet apart. Everyone wears there depends, and brings there own snacks. How are the American players crossing the border? Will the players have to get ready in shifts? And there are so many other issue's.
blue_or_die

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2020, 10:50:43 AM »

I know that realistically there won't be a season. However it looks like the Bombers and the league haven't given up. I received an e-mail from Wade Miller today saying that they're working with the league and other outdoor venues to have some kind of season. Also they'll announce in the next 30 days when to pick up season ticket packages which will include a free face mask for each ticket. These will be available to the general public starting July 1. BTW I don't believe that families would have to sit apart. They don't on the buses and at least in the stadium we'd be outdoors.

Right, and I think Donny worded it that way, but the logistical complication is that one set of tickets might be a family of 4. Does that mean that ticketmaster or whatever has to set up an algorithm that automatically bumps the seats unavailable by the appropriate amount? You won't be able to come up with a stadium plan of a single seat with a buffer of x seats on the left, right, front, and behind that one seat because some fans would want to sit together as families. Unless they sell only groups of 2 seats together. I mean aside from superfans on this site, few would want to attend a game alone.

The effort it would take to make this work sounds like it would immediately offset the revenue the league could make by making a season happen.

booch

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »

American players crossing up into Canada is the least of any worries...thats the easiest issue to deal with...its the gatherings ban and mainly that
buckzumhoff

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 12:18:11 PM »

I agree. The players are up here to work. We still have people going province to province. More canadians go south then Americans come here. I think keep a maximum  person limit to the games and cant see why cant play.  Malls are open . There are enough rules to keep people safe.. I cant see why cant play a game once a week . And the govt has been saying once the curve flattens things will open and they should .
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:18:52 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
Donny C

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2020, 01:51:54 PM »

Right, and I think Donny worded it that way, but the logistical complication is that one set of tickets might be a family of 4. Does that mean that ticketmaster or whatever has to set up an algorithm that automatically bumps the seats unavailable by the appropriate amount? You won't be able to come up with a stadium plan of a single seat with a buffer of x seats on the left, right, front, and behind that one seat because some fans would want to sit together as families. Unless they sell only groups of 2 seats together. I mean aside from superfans on this site, few would want to attend a game alone.

The effort it would take to make this work sounds like it would immediately offset the revenue the league could make by making a season happen.

Sorry, bad choice of wording on my part.

What I meant is that right now we are being encouraged not to meet in groups with those that do not live in our homes. So I did not mean that families could not sit together, rather that if that suggestion remains in place there would have to be a separation between 1 family and the next.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »

We still have people going province to province.

This is actually not correct for the most part.  My father in law passed away in Manitoba last week, so I called the non-emergency COVID line with Manitoba govt services, and the nice lady was very sorry to inform me that interprovincial travel right now, with very specific exceptions, is effectively banned.  Individuals entering into Manitoba have to self isolate (not group isolate) for a minimum of 14 days in province before engaging in whatever activity they came for.  That would mean, under existing conditions, teams would have to enter a province three weeks before game time, isolate for 14 days, then start practicing and have a game. 

Only way this would work is if you decided to hold games only in Alberta and Ontario and move all teams into those provinces for the duration of the season, since they have the most teams per capita in the country.  That would mean no Lions, Riders, Bomber, or Alouette home games, and you'd likely play only divisional games in the season.  You could still pull off four games a week for TV, and maybe you limit it to Ottawa and Hamilton, since Toronto's a dead draw anyway.  Might keep TV money from TSN coming in (and right now I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to show anything new), but that's about it.
Pigskin

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »

Right now does anyone want to move to Ontario? Canada right now has about reported about 72,000 cases of COVID 19. Quebec 39,225, Ontario 21,236, Alberta 6,345. Over 66,000 cases. Can see players moving anywhere. For us that live in Manitoba with about 280 cases, we are living pretty safe and healthy.
blue_or_die

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2020, 03:33:39 PM »

Sorry, bad choice of wording on my part.

What I meant is that right now we are being encouraged not to meet in groups with those that do not live in our homes. So I did not mean that families could not sit together, rather that if that suggestion remains in place there would have to be a separation between 1 family and the next.

Actually it was my choice of wording that was incorrect, lol. What I meant to say is that I rightfully assumed you meant exactly what you wrote here.

blue_or_die

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2020, 03:35:11 PM »

American players crossing up into Canada is the least of any worries...thats the easiest issue to deal with...its the gatherings ban and mainly that

It might seem like an easy issue for you or any of us, but the decision does not lay with us. Will the government open the borders for this reason is the real question, and I don't think we have a hot clue until they give us some indication they are even considering it. Is there not currently a ban on migrant workers, which is essentially what this would be?

BlueInCgy

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2020, 03:54:27 PM »

Right now does anyone want to move to Ontario? Canada right now has about reported about 72,000 cases of COVID 19. Quebec 39,225, Ontario 21,236, Alberta 6,345. Over 66,000 cases. Can see players moving anywhere. For us that live in Manitoba with about 280 cases, we are living pretty safe and healthy.

Didn't say it was a good idea, but you've only got two provinces with more than one CFL stadium, and I'm assuming if games were to be held, you would need adequate time to disinfect the stadiums between games, so you'd need two stadiums available per weekend in a given area, and you'd need to keep all teams in province.
NewBlue

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2020, 05:59:39 PM »

This is actually not correct for the most part.  My father in law passed away in Manitoba last week, so I called the non-emergency COVID line with Manitoba govt services, and the nice lady was very sorry to inform me that interprovincial travel right now, with very specific exceptions, is effectively banned.  Individuals entering into Manitoba have to self isolate (not group isolate) for a minimum of 14 days in province before engaging in whatever activity they came for.  That would mean, under existing conditions, teams would have to enter a province three weeks before game time, isolate for 14 days, then start practicing and have a game. 

Only way this would work is if you decided to hold games only in Alberta and Ontario and move all teams into those provinces for the duration of the season, since they have the most teams per capita in the country.  That would mean no Lions, Riders, Bomber, or Alouette home games, and you'd likely play only divisional games in the season.  You could still pull off four games a week for TV, and maybe you limit it to Ottawa and Hamilton, since Toronto's a dead draw anyway.  Might keep TV money from TSN coming in (and right now I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to show anything new), but that's about it.

Not sure what the "very specific exceptions" are, but I personally know of a few people that have gone from MB to AB and back for much lesser things than a funeral...there must be many in total each day crossing province to province.  Are they actually stopping cars at provincial borders, or just expected all citizens to travel accordingly?
BlueInCgy

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »

Not sure what the "very specific exceptions" are, but I personally know of a few people that have gone from MB to AB and back for much lesser things than a funeral...there must be many in total each day crossing province to province.  Are they actually stopping cars at provincial borders, or just expected all citizens to travel accordingly?

You can find the exceptions on the State Of Emergency documentation on the Manitoba Government website.  Fundamentally, it's long haul truckers, health care workers, and parents/children who have interprovincial custody agreements.

They aren't turning people away at the border, it's an honour system (or see no evil, hear no evil).  Clearly people are travelling between provinces in contravention of the SOE, but it's a lot less public than 70+ football team players/staff showing up for games.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2020, 07:03:16 PM »

No, it isn't. From which states they arriving? With whom have they been in contact back in their respective state? There are a number of factors that need to be considered when allowing entry to a foreign national and that is especially the case during a time like this.

The capacity restriction on social gatherings is an issue but it's not the only or main issue. Keeping the borders as closed as possible right now is paramount to the safety of the country's population.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
blue girl

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2020, 07:41:22 PM »

Exactly. Maybe it's because of our population but right now Manitoba and Saskatchewan seem to have the least cases. Unfortunately I don't think that they'll allow huge gatherings anytime soon.
booch

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »

It might seem like an easy issue for you or any of us, but the decision does not lay with us. Will the government open the borders for this reason is the real question, and I don't think we have a hot clue until they give us some indication they are even considering it. Is there not currently a ban on migrant workers, which is essentially what this would be?

Well gov has said for NBA and NHL this would not be an issue..so same must be true for CFL
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2020, 01:38:14 AM »

Well gov has said for NBA and NHL this would not be an issue..so same must be true for CFL

i have never seen this

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2020, 05:17:02 AM »

I think that CFL players would have to follow the guidelines for Temporary Foreign Workers
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/employer-compliance/covid-faq.html

@Stats_Junkie
blue_or_die

« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »

I think that CFL players would have to follow the guidelines for Temporary Foreign Workers
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/employer-compliance/covid-faq.html

Yes, if they are deemed essential.

theaardvark

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2020, 02:10:50 PM »

Not sure hotels are secure enough to reliably self quarantine... but sure, you could take entire floors and quarantine a team.  That's what they are proposing for Hockey, a sport with half as many players, and 15x the payroll.

Making the feild safe is nigh on impossible, at least to a break even level of attendance.  It is cheaper to run empty than to run at 25% capacity.  Not sure where the break even is, but I'm sure it is north of 50%, a capacity allowance we won't get to this year. 

So, its games with no crowds, so no home field advantage. 

Here's an idea... park a couple cruise ships off of Moncton, house all the players (post quarantine) there, and play all games there.  Play Fri, Sat, Sun each week.

Solves all the issues.   Cut it back to an 8 game season, with standard playoffs.

You're welcome.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2020, 04:01:13 PM »

you quarantine them in a residence on campus...ran by the team...they go to and from dorm...stadium/training facility and thats it...pretty easy concept..they are fed at stadium as per the norm, and the team can have people shop for them, or have curbside pick-up...or delivery like the common folk who chose so...no interaction with public required...
TBURGESS

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »

you quarantine them in a residence on campus...ran by the team...they go to and from dorm...stadium/training facility and thats it...pretty easy concept..they are fed at stadium as per the norm, and the team can have people shop for them, or have curbside pick-up...or delivery like the common folk who chose so...no interaction with public required...
Are you suggesting that players shouldn't be allowed to see their family's for the duration of the season?

Jesse

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2020, 04:23:33 PM »

Are you suggesting that players shouldn't be allowed to see their family's for the duration of the season?

Exactly.

Any of these scenarios that just have the players practicing and playing (and then sequestered at all other times) are complete BS.

Players unions will not (and should not) agree to any of this.

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »

never said that...i was talking about camp...and yeah continued into season live where they had planned and exercise smart tendencies like others do...Do you see family?..I do...and I visit people who are not sick as well...healthy can't infect healthy..and yeah people can spout off that someone may have it and not show signs..true..but I have been in same room with people who have/had it as well as been in close contact with a couple healthcare workers who may have been exposed....and myself, and all who have been with me have shown no signs...never got sick (and that includes 2 people who have been tested)

Sure the virus is real...can be lethal for a small percentage of people...but so can the flu..pneumonia..and many other contagious ailments we live in these days....it is what it is and it's never going away...so moving forward peoples best options is to continue living life and being smart, and if you feel sick...or scared...or whatever...then choose to avoid all social things and just stay home....
booch

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »

Exactly.

Any of these scenarios that just have the players practicing and playing (and then sequestered at all other times) are complete BS.

Players unions will not (and should not) agree to any of this.

So basicallyu what you are saying that having the population of every sity stay home..avoid visiting loved ones...(which was heaped on the population) work from home..avoid being in groups....and all the other "stuff" we have.had to deal with is BS then...correct...so should the general masses then said "un-acceptable i won't agree!!" and not adhered...can't have it one way for some..and other ways for others
TBURGESS

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2020, 04:43:50 PM »

never said that...i was talking about camp...and yeah continued into season live where they had planned and exercise smart tendencies like others do...Do you see family?..I do...and I visit people who are not sick as well...healthy can't infect healthy..and yeah people can spout off that someone may have it and not show signs..true..but I have been in same room with people who have/had it as well as been in close contact with a couple healthcare workers who may have been exposed....and myself, and all who have been with me have shown no signs...never got sick (and that includes 2 people who have been tested)

Sure the virus is real...can be lethal for a small percentage of people...but so can the flu..pneumonia..and many other contagious ailments we live in these days....it is what it is and it's never going away...so moving forward peoples best options is to continue living life and being smart, and if you feel sick...or scared...or whatever...then choose to avoid all social things and just stay home....
This isn't the flu. It's much more dangerous and lethal than that. To say otherwise is to ignore the science.

It's not one test per player. It's testing every player/coach/support staff over and over in case who comes in contact with anyone outside the sequestered group.

You could sequester the players, coaches and all the support staff for the duration of a training camp, assuming of course that you can get the players to Winnipeg in the first place. That wouldn't mean the season could start though. You'd have to quarantine all those people for the duration of the season or risk transmission to or from outside people. That means none of them can even see their own families and I doubt the union would allow that.

It's not just about the players giving it to their family's its also about their family's giving it to them. Even one infected player, coach or support staff would put the entire team back into lock down. That's exactly what happened in the German soccer league in the first weekend that they played a game. A couple of players tested positive and their whole team is now in lock down.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2020, 06:16:46 PM »

So basicallyu what you are saying that having the population of every sity stay home..avoid visiting loved ones...(which was heaped on the population) work from home..avoid being in groups....and all the other "stuff" we have.had to deal with is BS then...correct...so should the general masses then said "un-acceptable i won't agree!!" and not adhered...can't have it one way for some..and other ways for others

What are you even trying to say in this post? Huh

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
bluengold204

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »

Ugh you are most certainly part of the problem.
blue girl

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »

I was in the hospital for 6 weeks and had a visitor twice and if I'm lucky enough to get a liver transplant I'll be cut off from people again. So forgive me if I have little sympathy for people being cut off from their families. And if we're waiting for a vaccine or cure that may never happen. I don't want to be negative but sometimes sacrifices have to be made.
Donny C

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »

I was in the hospital for 6 weeks and had a visitor twice and if I'm lucky enough to get a liver transplant I'll be cut off from people again. So forgive me if I have little sympathy for people being cut off from their families. And if we're waiting for a vaccine or cure that may never happen. I don't want to be negative but sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

Best wishes on your health journey!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2020, 10:06:24 PM »

It's my perception that the majority of CFL players are young and single, of those who are not, most don't seem to bring their families to live with them during the football season and only see them during bye weeks.  I could be wrong.  Football careers are of short duration, a chance to extend the college lifestyle and hang out in a gang, best to pack light and keep on moving, live the life of a rover as long as possible. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:31:45 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blue girl

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2020, 10:19:23 PM »

Best wishes on your health journey!
Thank you. I'm at peace with whatever happens and try to remain positive. But it's why I say that you can take all the precautions you want but there is no guarantee that you won't get something. I don't know if it's because I updated all my vaccinations including getting a flu shot but I feel better than I have in years. And I have to go to the hospital once a month for bloodwork. And I no I don't wear a mask.
blue girl

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2020, 10:30:29 PM »

It's my perception that the majority of CFL players are young and single, of those who are not, most don't seem to bring their families to live with them during the football season and only see them during bye weeks.  I could be wrong.  Football careers are of short duration, a chance to extend the college lifestyle and hang out in a gang, best to pack light and keep on moving, living the life of a rover. 
Whether they have families or not I'm sure that they would like some kind of a paycheque.
theaardvark

« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »

Quarantine would be part of it.  Shortening the season would be important to make this plausible.  As it is, many first years come to Canada and spend the whole full season away from family.  Want a job, here are the requirements...

booch

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »

Ugh you are most certainly part of the problem.

Well since it was part of work, and no way around it...yup...what a problem...especially when all involved other than the original infected (due to travel when it first broke) have been symptom and disease free...yup a big problem..get yer head out yer arse man...you take precautions...you can be safe...you catch it from close prolonged contact...its not in air flying around looking to mount you
booch

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »

What are you even trying to say in this post? Huh
since players unions would have no part..or agree in isolating...why should anyone else??...pretty easy to read
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »

Could you imagine if the season started Labour Day in Regina as Grey Cup champs! It would absolutely insane there. I already paid for my trip if it happens. It would be a CFL experience like no other! And hopefully for the right reasons.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_or_die

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2020, 10:22:02 AM »

Could you imagine if the season started Labour Day in Regina as Grey Cup champs! It would absolutely insane there. I already paid for my trip if it happens. It would be a CFL experience like no other! And hopefully for the right reasons.

We could always raise the banner at IGF-West.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2020, 01:02:39 PM »

since players unions would have no part..or agree in isolating...why should anyone else??...pretty easy to read

Not at all. If it were easy to read, you wouldn't have others on here asking for clarification or trying to explain the situation to you, which you don't seem to understand.

You clearly don't have a clue how this virus functions or is transmitted, or why the guidelines in place are in place. Take a look at the US to see what happens when you let a pandemic run amok.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
NewBlue

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2020, 10:18:43 PM »

Not at all. If it were easy to read, you wouldn't have others on here asking for clarification or trying to explain the situation to you, which you don't seem to understand.

You clearly don't have a clue how this virus functions or is transmitted, or why the guidelines in place are in place. Take a look at the US to see what happens when you let a pandemic run amok.

TBF it often seems even the experts don't. 

Anyways, saw on the news today that the Grey Cup will not be played in Regina 2020, but instaed could be awarded to the team with the most points in the league.  What if the top place team has an upset?  In a shortened season, with alot on the line now, each game would be huge!
Sec223

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2020, 11:05:55 PM »

Grey Cup in Winnipeg in December with no special events scheduled. Pass !! On the bright side social distancing wouldn't be an issue Smiley
buckzumhoff

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2020, 11:28:00 PM »

Last grey cup game was Nov 24. So it's a week later.  No special events is fine. Most are there to watch football. I never decide on buying a ticket by a half time show.
NewBlue

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2020, 12:49:54 AM »

Grey Cup in Winnipeg in December with no special events scheduled. Pass !! On the bright side social distancing wouldn't be an issue Smiley

Now that doesn't sound like someone from section 223, unless that was 30 years ago! 
Grey Cup in Dec, as long as we're in it - hells ya!  Grin
ichabod_crane

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2020, 01:20:59 AM »

This news release came out this evening: Winnipeg's pro sports teams can reopen training facilities under strict guidelines

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/winnipegs-pro-sports-teams-can-reopen-training-facilities-under-strict-guidelines/wcm/6ef39c2a-1e86-4661-b0c0-fdb389fa6246
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2020, 12:28:54 PM »

TBF it often seems even the experts don't. 

It's almost like this is an unprecedented event for the human race and we have to take it one day at a time. No, wait... It's exactly that.

Fact is the experts know more than non-experts, which was the point. People exhibiting the Dunning-Kruger Effect are a threat to public safety, too.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
NewBlue

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2020, 01:24:44 PM »

It's almost like this is an unprecedented event for the human race and we have to take it one day at a time. No, wait... It's exactly that.

Fact is the experts know more than non-experts, which was the point. People exhibiting the Dunning-Kruger Effect are a threat to public safety, too.

Unprecedented for the human race?   Huh
Unprecedented for our generation, yes...but for all of human history - no.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »

Unprecedented for the human race?   Huh
Unprecedented for our generation, yes...but for all of human history - no.

Roll Eyes

Yes, unprecedented in the current state of human civilization (since the dawn of commercial air travel, amount of people on the planet, and the interconnectedness of populations as it relates to social, economic, and recreational activities).

I figured the context of my statement was a given considering how much the world has changed since the last pandemic of this scale.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
NewBlue

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »

Even here I'm going to have to disagree with you. Technology & world travel have changed since the Spanish Flu, but the societies were still definitly connected.  More recent pandemics have occured, just not at the scale today in NA.

I don't know a thing about you, so I can't possibly know the "context" of your statement except for what it actually says, which was wrong.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2020, 05:05:30 PM »

Some of you are weird on what you debate on here  Roll Eyes

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »

Now that doesn't sound like someone from section 223, unless that was 30 years ago! 
Grey Cup in Dec, as long as we're in it - hells ya!  Grin

No question, I'd be there !!

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2020, 06:36:37 PM »

Yeah, I don't get it. What a strange hill upon which to die. Undecided

And it's not like we can talk football much these days.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
blue girl

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »

This is what happens when there's no football to discuss.  Cheesy
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »

This is what happens when there's no football to discuss.  Cheesy

Zackly right! LOL Cheesy

But really... this whole pandemic is garbage. Unprecedented garbage. Grin

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
NewBlue

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »

And some of you are just wierd  Tongue
NewBlue

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2020, 08:14:42 PM »

Zackly right! LOL Cheesy

But really... this whole pandemic is garbage. Unprecedented garbage. Grin

OK, Now I agree!  Grin
blue_or_die

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2020, 11:32:26 AM »

So far my philosophy has been not entertaining false hope and empty theories but whatever, it?s something to talk about and is being talked about by the decision makers.

Hearing stuff about Winnipeg and Regina being host cities, being in the two places with among the lowest infections. Close proximity means teams can travel between cities by bus when necessary. Also, central time zones for reasonable scheduling for TV. Interesting.

TBURGESS

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2020, 03:25:19 PM »

I don't see the 'Hub City' concept as being particularly viable in the CFL.

I can't imagine that the CFL has the money to keep 500+ Players, Coaches and Support Staff in quarantine for long periods of time. I also can't imagine that they'd all be forced to fend for themselves to find that many places to live for 4 months in Regina and Winnipeg if they only have to quarantine for 14 days.

We all know that the CFL relies heavily on gate revenues. How many in Wpg and Regina want to go to the stadium to watch 2 games a week, every week, especially when one or both don't have the home team playing? Would they even fill a third of the seats? (Unless social distancing rules are severely relaxed, I don't see the stadium being allowed to be more than a third full and they'll lose the booze/food revenue).

What would the cost be for season tickets for 2 games a week be?
Double headers' so they don't have to prep the stadium twice? If so, how would they clear then disinfect the locker rooms between games?
Does either city have enough practice/locker/living space for 4 or 5 teams or are some teams in Saskatoon and Brandon during the week?

To add to the conversation... Dave Naylor's take from last night.

David William Naylor @TSNDaveNaylor 14h
The 2020 @CFL  season comes down to this: find a way to make the economics of Western Canadian hub-cities model work (difficult) or hope things improve enough in Ontario/Quebec to allow teams to congregate and some fans to attend games (unknown). #CFL

David William Naylor @TSNDaveNaylor 15h
Something else I believe the @CFL is doing is starting to consider how it?s business model and cost structure may have to change for the next several years. I believe every league must be doing the same. For the CFL this is essential for survival. #CFL

I?m asked a lot if I?m optimistic there will be a @CFL season. Truth is I am not. And a lot of the people I speak to around the league are not. But I will say this ... they are trying. And if the 2020 season is cancelled, it won?t be from a lack of effort or care. #CFL

American players are able to cross the US border if they have their work visas. #CFL

theaardvark

« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2020, 06:40:56 PM »

I still think parking a couple cruise ships off the east coast and play in Moncton, 3 games a week... officials, broadcasters, etc all sequestered...

blue_or_die

« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »

I don't see the 'Hub City' concept as being particularly viable in the CFL.

I can't imagine that the CFL has the money to keep 500+ Players, Coaches and Support Staff in quarantine for long periods of time. I also can't imagine that they'd all be forced to fend for themselves to find that many places to live for 4 months in Regina and Winnipeg if they only have to quarantine for 14 days.

We all know that the CFL relies heavily on gate revenues. How many in Wpg and Regina want to go to the stadium to watch 2 games a week, every week, especially when one or both don't have the home team playing? Would they even fill a third of the seats? (Unless social distancing rules are severely relaxed, I don't see the stadium being allowed to be more than a third full and they'll lose the booze/food revenue).

What would the cost be for season tickets for 2 games a week be?
Double headers' so they don't have to prep the stadium twice? If so, how would they clear then disinfect the locker rooms between games?
Does either city have enough practice/locker/living space for 4 or 5 teams or are some teams in Saskatoon and Brandon during the week?

To add to the conversation... Dave Naylor's take from last night.

David William Naylor @TSNDaveNaylor 14h
The 2020 @CFL  season comes down to this: find a way to make the economics of Western Canadian hub-cities model work (difficult) or hope things improve enough in Ontario/Quebec to allow teams to congregate and some fans to attend games (unknown). #CFL

Something else I believe the @CFL is doing is starting to consider how it?s business model and cost structure may have to change for the next several years. I believe every league must be doing the same. For the CFL this is essential for survival. #CFL

I?m asked a lot if I?m optimistic there will be a @CFL season. Truth is I am not. And a lot of the people I speak to around the league are not. But I will say this ... they are trying. And if the 2020 season is cancelled, it won?t be from a lack of effort or care. #CFL

American players are able to cross the US border if they have their work visas. #CFL

I agree with you. I was only posting for conversation sake. If anything, I?m more intrigued that the CFL is taking these far out ideas so seriously when they seemed so destined to fail and in no way fit the
League economic model.

wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »

This would have been GAME DAY  Angry

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
blue girl

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »

I believe that the reason that The CFL is coming up with these ideas is that if they do nothing they won't get any federal money. If they at least try to come up with ideas they can say that they made an effort to make money but they need help.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: