Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2020, 06:40:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential format to salvage at least half of the CFL season  (Read 3087 times)
ichabod_crane

« on: May 07, 2020, 11:40:06 PM »

Just throwing it out there and other alternatives certainly possible (let's hear them!) for any possible way for the CFL to salvage at least half the season. Maybe a 9 game season starting Labour Day if they still want to keep Grey Cup game date as scheduled on November 22. 10 game season with same start date then would somehow need to move Grey Cup one week later (if even possible logistically). No byes. Schedule would have to be adjusted to pack all games in. Top 3 in each division make playoffs + two wildcards. Lowest wild card plays top division winner. Other wild card plays the other division winner. Wild cards can cross into other division if that is how it plays out. Gives you 4 semi-final playoff games (2 extra playoff games for gate & tv than normal).

THIS ALL depends if they can hold any basic training camp in August though and maybe only one or no pre-season games.  Maybe have to front load some extra games in cities already fully opened up and others later not fully open to large gatherings early on. When desperate do whatever you can. If all mass gatherings still locked down in every CFL city by mid-August then lock up the barn I guess. Any later than Labour Day weekend to open the season will almost certainly make it toast too unless they want to play into December (was more normal back in 1950's-60's). Lots of other logistics to deal with around this to make such a thing happen, but start the planning of such scenarios now in case it can be pulled off.

NFL did a 9 game regular season back in 1982 due to a players strike. They added extra playoff teams that season (8 per conference). Was not really considered a tainted season that I recall (Washington won the Super Bowl - former Argo Joe Theisman their QB!).

BLUE BOMBERS GREY CUP CHAMPS FOR TWO YEARS running as a consolation prize otherwise! Wink  May be of little consolation if it folds the league though.
jdrattops

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 02:46:50 AM »

I could go for this, but feel it is still a stretch.  Unfortunately our friends south of the border are going to keep North America shut for 2020.  CFL players are going to have to figure a way into Canada, isolate and be here in July in order to have a season that would start on Labour Day weekend.  I?m not sure this will be doable.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 02:48:31 AM by jdrattops » Logged
gobombersgo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 06:06:54 AM »

Best case scenario would be an 8 game season starting Labour Day weekend. This would allow for a bye week for each team and teams wouldn't have to play on short weeks. The Playoff games and Grey Cup would also be able to be played on their scheduled dates in November.

I think the latest they can start an 8 game season would be the last week of Sept. Due to the late start the playoffs would be held in December. Because of this I'd play all playoff games at BC Place. One game could be played on Saturday and one on Sunday for the 1st two rounds.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 06:44:48 AM »

I like your thinking.  A 8-10 game season seems doable.  If a city is still locked down (maybe CGY? maybe MTL?) then play their games at the opponent's barn until/if their city unlocks.  If that means they don't get many home games, so be it.

Definitely no byes.  I'm not sure the playoff format has to change much at all, but it's the least of the concerns.

Things will have to be planned well in advance so we can find ways to get the Americans all up here and through any quarantine they may require.  Might have to just ditch all the globals for one season or it starts to get too complicated -- fighting with 1 country and all the red tape will be hard enough.

If required, I say you push back the season and play into December, if that's what it takes (like Ichabod says).  I'd get my butt into IGF no matter how cold it is.  A late season is better than no season.

Here's an insane idea... if they can't get the Americans up here, can we have a season with only NATs??  Well, NATs plus any Americans who are now living in Canada year-round if they are already currently here.  Does every team have enough on the AR & PR & draft/neglist?  I think it could just be done, no?  No depth, but just enough for a full AR?

Now that would be one crazy season.

Never go full Rider!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »

I think they should try for middle or late july or August but then depends on what happens in other provinces. The most affected I think would be the players but since they are together all the time and football doesnt travel as much as hockey teams. Football is only once a week. If hockey comes back they will play three games a week even with home stands.

Sec223

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »

The chances of the Americans being able to cross the border are slim. If they can't but the Bison's season goes forward let's support the hell out of them ?
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »

The chances of the Americans being able to cross the border are slim.

This is the biggest obstacle, IMO. I can't see the Canada-US border opening to non-essential travel for a good while.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
blue_or_die

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:24:11 PM »

This has all been discussed. By the half way point of a normal year I still can't see the border opening up to Americans and I still don't see policy makers allowing 30,000 people to sit next to each other for 3+ hours.

Guys, this isn't happening, I'm sorry to say.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 12:29:47 PM »

This has all been discussed. By the half way point of a normal year I still can't see the border opening up to Americans and I still don't see policy makers allowing 30,000 people to sit next to each other for 3+ hours.

I don't want to agree with you but logically, I have to. Wink

I'm glad Ambrosie is being realistic about what's going on right now.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
bigbuff33

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 12:56:03 PM »

Sadly, the league doesn't have money to pay the bills until September (and even then, fans won't be allowed in the stadium.)
It's heartbreaking situation.
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 01:00:51 PM »

Go to six man squads, like Legends football.  Keep the field size... can you imagine?  Like 3 on 3 hockey...

But is that a "season"? 

8 games, playoffs in one place, just does not seem worth it.

Take the year.  Save lives.  Including your's and your family's.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 01:18:20 PM »

I have to agree.

Calgary's cancelled all public events till the end of August. I doubt the border will open up to players. They'd have to self isolate for 14 days before they could even practice if they could get over the border. I can't imagine football outdoors mid December in the prairies and I can't imagine that many folks would go to BC place to watch all the playoffs.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »

As fans, we are craving some sort of hope that there will be some sort of season. As evidenced by this thread, there are some reasoned suggestions and some that are way out in left field. I have no doubt that the commissioner and the league governors have tossed around any and every scenario that would be even somewhat reasonable.

Ultimately, if players cannot cross the border, there is no season. A season with replacement players that are only Canadians or Americans who live in Canada full-time just doesn't seem reasonable. Who's going to quarterback these teams? For some, who's going to coach these teams? Also, with no fans in the stands, the teams will incur expenses and have limited revenue to actually pay for those expenses. They'd likely be better off without playing at all.

I saw that Borussia Dortmund in the German Bundesliga has begun giving fans the option of paying 20 Euros to have a cardboard likeness of themselves in the stadium. It will give the appearance of fans and will help support the team financially. I'd pay $20 to have a cardboard me in the stadium if it would help keep things afloat. I'd just ask that the cardboard me be slightly thinner and a bit younger.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
dd

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »

The border is not going to open up, American players can?t get here, face reality already, the season is done.
Waffler

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »

I thought this was half fantasy, just to imagine what it would look like. Spitballing if you will. Practicality being a different issue.

Hard to say what is possible since we don't yet know the glorious day when games can be played again, be it this year or next. But putting on my fantasy hat...

Simplest: 8 game season. Play everyone once. One big league, no east/west in playoffs.

Craziest: If we are not having fans then a tournament in one city lasting 8 weeks.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

Jump to: