Blue Bombers Forum
July 08, 2020, 09:35:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aaron Kelly WR  (Read 1149 times)
TecnoGenius

« on: April 30, 2020, 04:00:43 AM »

I know this will be drowned out by the draft chatter in a few hours, but does anyone know what happened to Aaron Kelly?  He was a light/fast WR we had in 2013-2014.  I'm watching some '13-'14 games just for the heck of it and it reminded me just how good that kid was.  He was absolutely astounding, yet didn't get much attention at the time.  Amazing hands, great nose for the ball and seemed to get open a lot.

From wikipedia it looks like after looking so good in '14 he got a shot in the NFL on a PR.  It also says he came back to CFL (not WPG) but on PR only.  Then after a few months, nothing...

Did he get injured?  Seems a strange thing for such a promising young kid to just disappear like that.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »

He didnt play well and we moved on.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:51:46 PM »

I'd say he was a mediocre receiver at best. 1360 yards in four seasons is anything but astounding. (https://www.justsportsstats.com/footballstatsindex.php?player_id=kellyaar001)

He had good size and was pretty quick off the line but that was about it. He was beat out by better WRs in Hamilton and signed with a really bad team here in August 2013. He was a decent depth piece in 2014 but that isn't really saying much.

IIRC, he bounced around a couple PRs in 2015 but that was that.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
GCn19

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 01:04:56 PM »

I'd say he was a mediocre receiver at best. 1360 yards in four seasons is anything but astounding. (https://www.justsportsstats.com/footballstatsindex.php?player_id=kellyaar001)

He had good size and was pretty quick off the line but that was about it. He was beat out by better WRs in Hamilton and signed with a really bad team here in August 2013. He was a decent depth piece in 2014 but that isn't really saying much.

IIRC, he bounced around a couple PRs in 2015 but that was that.

Yea...not sure why anyone would be confused about why we moved on from him. We desperately needed to upgrade our receiving corps and did so. Kelly had flashes at times, but was highly inconsistent. Calling him outstanding is not at all how I remember it. In a year and half he had one really good game.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:08:45 PM by GCn19 » Logged

the paw

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »

Yea...not sure why anyone would be confused about why we moved on from him. We desperately needed to upgrade our receiving corps and did so. Kelly had flashes at times, but was highly inconsistent. Calling him outstanding is not at all how I remember it. In a year and half he had one really good game.

"flashes" is exactly the right way to describe him.  When with Hamilton, he looked like he was ready to break out, and was just odd man out with some veterans. The fact that he signed to four different CFL clubs indicates there was something to look at.  But he just couldn't get there when it came to sustained production.  Another in the long list of bubble guys....

grab grass 'n growl
DM83

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 03:59:55 PM »

Um....who?
You guys are good!
GCn19

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 04:24:58 PM »

"flashes" is exactly the right way to describe him.  When with Hamilton, he looked like he was ready to break out, and was just odd man out with some veterans. The fact that he signed to four different CFL clubs indicates there was something to look at.  But he just couldn't get there when it came to sustained production.  Another in the long list of bubble guys....

One good game per half a season does not make for a long career. If memory serves, and sometimes it doesn't lol, I think he had some pretty unproductive comments to the media about his usage during one of his slumps as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:27:10 PM by GCn19 » Logged

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 04:40:26 PM »

Agreed. Hot and cold, IMO. Not dissimilar in stature and productivity to Greg Carr. Although, the latter went on to have a pretty good arena career.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
blue_or_die

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »

Yeah, everything has been said. He made some good plays time to time on a god awful team which is maybe why he was notable, but that's it. He got some love on the forum back then but no one thought he was the next coming. What happened to him happens to tons and tons of players every year.

Make no mistake, Tecno: he was a retread when he got here, played well enough to stick around a bit, and then faded off into the sunset like others. He was not an about-to-break-out into the NFL kind of player. Quite the opposite.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TecnoGenius

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 05:41:38 AM »

Thanks for all the input.  At least I have a better idea of what happened.  I guess my memory is skewed by the fact I'm watching only the 2014 wins (no losses).  Watching just those games he really does standout as a possible winner, as some of his catches are pretty amazing -- better than almost every WPG catch in 2019!  Like circus stuff we used to see from a younger Dressler, or the Flyin' Hawaiian.

Looks like the consistency and off-field stuff probably did do him in.

Oh ya, and I was wrong, he didn't leave us in '14 to go to the NFL, I mis-read the wikipedia article and mistook the Arizona Rattlers for NFL  Shocked Angry Huh Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Again, thanks all.  I can put this particular bugbear "whatever happened to ..." to rest.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 11:17:08 AM »

Thanks for all the input.  At least I have a better idea of what happened.  I guess my memory is skewed by the fact I'm watching only the 2014 wins (no losses).  Watching just those games he really does standout as a possible winner, as some of his catches are pretty amazing -- better than almost every WPG catch in 2019!  Like circus stuff we used to see from a younger Dressler, or the Flyin' Hawaiian.

Looks like the consistency and off-field stuff probably did do him in.

Oh ya, and I was wrong, he didn't leave us in '14 to go to the NFL, I mis-read the wikipedia article and mistook the Arizona Rattlers for NFL  Shocked Angry Huh Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Again, thanks all.  I can put this particular bugbear "whatever happened to ..." to rest.

He was quite frustrating to watch. He'd have a standout game and then completely disappear for the next half dozen games.

kkc60

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 04:11:36 PM »

Kelly was fine. Maybe wouldve been better if he had better QBs. But in general I put him in the "what ifs" along with Greg Carr and Mike Sims-Walker
GCn19

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 05:20:26 PM »

Kelly was fine. Maybe wouldve been better if he had better QBs. But in general I put him in the "what ifs" along with Greg Carr and Mike Sims-Walker

Yea...those are apt comparisons.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 05:56:51 PM »

Gerrard Sheppard, Thomas Mayo, Jayce Davis, Justin Veltung, Kevin Cone....the list could go on and on and on.
blue_or_die

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »

Yeah, you can throw just about any even slightly touted import receiver into the "what if category". Making it in pro football requires just as much luck as it does skill, with so much competition for so few jobs.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 06:24:42 PM »

Eh... He had Glenn in 2011 and Burris in 2012 and 2013 throwing him the ball when he was with the Ti-Cats. Burris had a career season in 2012, too (104.4 QB rating). Of note, Kelly only dressed for 6 games in 2012, which may speak to his lack of quality as a receiver. And FWIW, Willy's 2014 season was his best, particularly early on in it. And that was Kelly's most productive season and he had his first 100-yard receiving game in 2014. I'm not sure how much of the "better QB" argument holds water.

I absolutely agree on the comparison to Greg Carr.

Gerrard Sheppard, Thomas Mayo, Jayce Davis, Justin Veltung, Kevin Cone....the list could go on and on and on.

This.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 11:34:17 PM »

He had a lot of potential, and I remember him having something like a +100 yard game and 2 TD's or something like that with us that gave us something to believe in during a bad season (a la Troy Kopp). GCN19 mentioned something about Kelly saying something about his usage during a slump that I vaguely remember as well, and my personal analysis is that his skills--on any of the teams that he was on--was something that got him the job, but it must have boiled down ultimately to him not applying himself enough on a consistent basis to warrant moving to the next rung up the career ladder.
kkc60

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 04:26:57 PM »

I was so sure Veltung was gonna be good
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: