Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 02:12:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19  (Read 669 times)
Pigskin

« on: April 24, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »

So today I receiver two cheques, each worth $2000.00 from our government. This is interesting considering that I am retired, not unemployed. I made a few phone calls and finally talk to a government employee that said she was baffled by this. She then told to hold on to the cheques as she would get back to me on Monday. She then asked me if I was sure I hadn't filed for UI. I said no, in fact I have never filed for UI. Now I am wondering with 7 million of these cheques going out, how many times has the government screwed up.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 03:31:32 PM »

Yeah, that?s disconcerting to say the least.  I can appreciate the ?pay now, assess later? aspect the government is rolling out, or no one who needs it would ever get it in a timely fashion, however, that?s predicated on someone actually applying for it.  If cash is heading out to non applicants, then this is going to be hard to control.

Good on you for taking proper action.
Pigskin

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 06:46:22 PM »

Well no one got back to me on Monday. So this morning I met with my niece who works for Revenue Canada. She ran a Magnum 44 permanent marker across them and will be making sure they are taken care of in a properly.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:57:23 PM by Pigskin » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 06:54:03 AM »

Smart move Pigskin.  The $2k (each cheque) is the "CERB" amount so maybe that's what they sent you?  But you have to apply for that (I think?).  Not to alarm you, but one other thing you might want to check is that it wasn't scammers who either got access to your "MyAccount" on the CRA website, or otherwise got your SIN and submitted a paper request.  CRA should have a record of when/how it was applied for if that was the case.

I've read about lots of scammers in the USA doing this.  They try to get the address changed to their own, but if they succeed at applying for the helicopter money but fail at changing the address then these cheques show up at your door.

Voiding them is prudent and the right thing to do.  However, if you deposited them in good faith (some people wouldn't think to inquire as they trust CRA to get it right), the worst you'd have to do is pay it back when this is all over.

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 06:03:26 PM »

My niece is a fraud investigator for Revenue Canada. Basically income tax fraud. But she is dealing with the cheques now.
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 06:33:33 PM »

Heading to lake this weekend for a day or two. I am going to see how much push back we get at the Ontario border.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 10:19:57 PM »

don't you have to quarantine for 14 days. ? 
Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 10:36:20 PM »

Not if I am going to the cottage and back with no stops in between.
Pigskin

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 06:12:22 PM »

Got to love our bankers in Manitoba. I just heard that Scotia Bank did not shut down one branch across Canada this whole pandemic. Most of there mortgage and investment staff are taking 30-40 calls a day about financial matters. Talk about essential service.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: