Blue Bombers Forum
July 11, 2020, 01:00:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ed Tait on nicknames  (Read 247 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: April 13, 2020, 03:48:20 AM »

Background on cool Blue Bomber nicknames:

Ed Tait on nicknames

The call came earlier this week just as yours truly was conducting an interview on another line, but the caller ID elicited an instant smile.

It read: James 'Wild' West.

That's how I punched his name into my contacts list. First name: James. Last name: 'Wild' West.

And just so you know, under 'Company' the letters CFHOF are listed, short for 'Canadian Football Hall of Fame.'

I missed the call, but a message was left..

'Was browsing through my contacts list today and I saw your name. Hope all is well with you, man. Blessings upon you, brother. Stay safe. Peace out.'

Now, two things from all that. First, wouldn't it be awesome if we all did the same once in a while - just scrolled through our contacts list and reached out to people - and even moreso during this pandemic?

And, second, it's interesting how a nickname, even a basic nickname like ?Wild? West, can stick with an athlete long after he has walked away from the game.

(Sidebar: in West?s case, every time I hear or read his name it's also accompanied in my head with the chorus from that 1988 Kool Moe Dee song - appropriately named 'Wild, Wild West - that used to rattle the speakers at old Winnipeg Stadium whenever the Winnipeg Blue Bombers linebacker made a big play, be it a sack, an interception or a huge hit).

All of this is simply a long-winded intro into this weekend's column focusing on some of the memorable nicknames in the Bombers' 90-year history.

The Bombers' current locker room features the likes of 'Yoshi' (Jermarcus Hardrick) and 'Money' Justin Medlock. And the nameplate above Steven Richardson's locker doesn't feature his surname but instead, just 'Stove.'

Compiling an all-time nicknames list can be like stepping into quicksand, for undoubtedly it will leave off a player whose nickname resonates with one fan or another. Still, with the help of Chris Walby, Troy Westwood, Doug Brown, Bob Irving and Rick Brownlee of the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame, we came up with a ton that cover just about every decade of the franchise's existence.

What follows is a personal Top 10 list of favourites nicknames, followed by others of note...

The rest of Ed Tait's nickname article is here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: