Blue Bombers Forum
May 28, 2020, 12:46:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: That sly fox Lapo: AH33 1st TDs the same GC '11 vs '19  (Read 788 times)
TecnoGenius

« on: March 27, 2020, 06:01:52 AM »

So I'm watching the 2011 Grey Cup I PVRd from ESPN Classic last year.

AH33 has a great run for the first TD of the game.  I look at it, do a double-take, and then play it again.  Instantly I say to myself: that's the exact same play as Andrew Harris' first TD in the 2019 GC!  I think, hmm, is Lapo playing coy with us all?  Would he really do such a thing as mirror the play that got the Lions rolling against us in 2011?

As most will know, Lapo was our HC in that 2011 GC.  And he was our OC in the 2019 GC.  And AH was playing for the Lions in '11, but playing for us in '19.  (Humor those who may not know all this.)

I think Paul LaPolice was so impressed by that play that stung him so badly in '11 that he decided, probably as part of a scripted drive, to use it himself to nail it in from the red zone in '19.  And why not?  It worked to perfection then, and it worked to perfection now!  Yes, the play is somewhat standard fare for a rush play, and yes, it could possibly be coincidence.  But if you watch both plays and compare, you'll see Lapo must be tipping his hat to that '11 play -- they are almost mirror images, and both are the opening TDs of the game, both run by Harris.  In fact, the few minor differences between the plays are probably just Lapo saying "hey, I can make the play even better".  Sly fox Lapo!

I broke down the ball position, pre-snap look, pre-snap motion, post-snap motion, and the end of AH's run.  I'm not sure anyone is interested so I'll just break it down tersely.  2011 15yl, 2019 20yl.  The same: right hash, 5 OL front, field WR comes in as TE, AH behind QB, 2 field slots on go straight up clearing routes, boundary slot halfway out, boundary WR wide on line, boundary slot crosses over in front of QB to block DE, whole OL slides right to wall off almost all the front 7, field OT goes up to take a LB, AH is untouched for 10+ yards then sheds 2-3 DBs and stumbles/falls over goal line.

The only things that don't match up?  One is the D alignment: '19 HAM D is playing a weird 3 3 look, LBs back; '11 WPG is playing 7 tight to the line.  But the OC can't control that anyhow.  Notable how the play works well no matter whether the D is playing the run or the pass.

Lapo's tweaks in '19?  The boundary crossing SB blocks the DE by himself.  In '11 BC's field WR on the line jams the same DE before the crossing SB also hits them both.  Lapo saw the '11 format was redundant and instead sent the field WR up as a downfield blocker (which turned out to be important to block a DB).  In addition, in '11 the field OT walled off both the MLB+DT because they were tight to the box; but in '19 the looser formation allowed our field OT to block only the field LB (I say "block" with a grain of salt... wink wink Bryant).

So my 20+ viewings of the '19 GC pay off.  You have no idea how much pleasure this gives me to see tricky Lapo pull this off, and if no one else has found it out yet: I caught you Lapo! Cheesy  I always marvel at how Lapo sets plays up plays, drives and games and even half-seasons in advance, and then uses that setup (and film study) against a D.  It's my favorite part of Lapo's game.  To see him pull a play that may have cost him a GC in '11 out of his hat and use it in '19 to instead win one, with the very same RB, is truly amazing.

I tip my hat to you, Lapo.  You will be greatly missed!  You deserve even more credit than you've gotten so far from WPG fans for getting us that cup.  I will continue to have fun watching your evil genius at work in OTT.  If your tricks work a couple of times against our Blue Bombers in future seasons, I'll probably have a little smile sneaking out of the corner of my mouth while I curse your name. Grin Cheesy  Bravo.  Bravo.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:10:19 AM by TecnoGenius » Logged

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »

The play is literally a routine type of handoff that every team employs multiple times a game. I would chalk this up more to good execution and coincidence than Lapo tipping his hat to the 2011 Lions. I know your conspiracy thinking likes to have you looking for hidden meaning in everything but in reality 75% of all running plays are designed to be executed in an almost identical fashion by every CFL club.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 01:32:21 PM »

If you stare at the stars long enough shapes appear.
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »

I was sitting in the end zone in 2011 and watched that play run right at me. I still can't get it that loss out of my head. Sad Sad

If not for a play here or there like the Willis near int and possible return TD it might have been a different outcome.

Football is a game of if's and that's the way the cookie crumbled for us that day.

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 02:07:14 PM »

LOL Cheesy

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
bomb squad

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 04:29:21 PM »

Cheesy Perfect.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:23:48 PM »

The play is literally a routine type of handoff that every team employs multiple times a game. I would chalk this up more to good execution and coincidence than Lapo tipping his hat to the 2011 Lions.

You're entitled to your opinion.  But before you put my opinion down as conspiracy, go watch both plays again, alternating, a few times.  For so many things to line up so perfectly, it would have to be the mother of all coincidences if it wasn't on purpose.

And if I'm wrong, I bet Lapo would be interested in the similarities anyhow.

And if I'm a coordinator who lost a few GC's, I'd be going back over the old GC loss film to see what the other team did better.  I'd steal ideas on great plays the opponent made to apply to my next GC game!  It's like HAM stealing our kick-to-the-wrong-returner trick... you think that was coincidence too?  If HAM is in the next GC, I bet they swipe a play or scheme from our '19 GC playbook.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »

If not for a play here or there like the Willis near int and possible return TD it might have been a different outcome.

Yes, I'm watching the 2011 game with a different eye now.  It's clear that our OC wasn't up to the task.  The talking heads kept saying Lapo was calling the O, but our OC was that other guy.  So I don't know who to believe.  We abandoned the run way too soon and started looking like '19 HAM.  And then so many of our receivers failed to make clutch catches, especially in the 2nd down short game.  Again, a bit like '19 HAM.

In enemy territory it was always going to be tough, and the team seemed to lack the fire and hunger our '19 team had.  They didn't seem like a cohesive unit, especially on O.  There wasn't enough balance and all the hopes were pinned on the D who couldn't get it done that Sunday.

Makes you appreciate the '19 team and MOS a bit more, seeing what he's built here.

But our DBs sure were amazing in 2011!

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 01:40:23 AM »

You're entitled to your opinion.  But before you put my opinion down as conspiracy, go watch both plays again, alternating, a few times.  For so many things to line up so perfectly, it would have to be the mother of all coincidences if it wasn't on purpose.

And if I'm a coordinator who lost a few GC's, I'd be going back over the old GC loss film to see what the other team did better.  I'd steal ideas on great plays the opponent made to apply to my next GC game!  It's like HAM stealing our kick-to-the-wrong-returner trick... you think that was coincidence too?  If HAM is in the next GC, I bet they swipe a play or scheme from our '19 GC playbook.

It was the dirty Riders who stole that play.  Gauthier tracked down Nick Marshal and pummelled him for participating.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 02:30:08 AM »

It was the dirty Riders who stole that play.  Gauthier tracked down Nick Marshal and pummelled him for participating.
Poetry in motion

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_or_die

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 03:25:20 PM »

QFT

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »

I don't need to watch both plays again because I have seen the Bombers and every other team run this play 1000 times with varying levels of success since 2011. When I was coaching high school I had this same play in my playbook since the mid 90s. Its a routine run play. It was just executed perfectly. Sometimes its creativity by the OC but more often than not a play is successful because of the execution. There are very few run plays that are not used by every team, multiple times a game.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:55:19 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: