Blue Bombers Forum
April 02, 2020, 03:14:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Players getting creative with self-isolation workouts, training  (Read 200 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: March 27, 2020, 02:22:29 AM »

Players getting creative with self-isolation workouts, training - Ed Tait

Their careers are built on training and routine, then enhanced by the bonding and camaraderie that comes from sharing a locker room and the same end goal: a Grey Cup championship.

So when that regimen is altered and with the start of Canadian Football League training camp in jeopardy due to a global pandemic, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have worked to find alternative ways to stay of sound mind and body.

Here are three stories, in particular...

Adam Bighill has never been the sort to sit on his hands or do the couch-potato act. He has a go-go-go personality that means he is seldom gearing down physically or mentally.

On top of his training and helping raise his three kids  Beau, Leah and A.J. - with his wife Kristina, the Bombers veteran middle linebacker already has a post-career gig in play, as he has been working with Wellington-Altus as a financial advisor for nine months.

"Luckily for me I've got no shortage of amusement with the three kids," said Bighill in a phone interview from Vancouver. "There's always something to do for me. On top of that, I'm always on the computer here at home working on the financial side which still keeps me busy. There's no client interaction other than e-mails and calls, but I am continuing to do research."

A ferocious trainer, Bighill - like most of his teammates - is now quarantined and without access to some of the facilities that are critical for strength training. He came up with an innovative method for doing push-ups...

"You can usually feel that training camp is around the corner at this time of the year so you usually use the time you can to train," said Bighill. "Now you do what you can with what you've got.

"I don't really have a lot of equipment at home, so it's mostly bodyweight training and plyometrics and running. I've been focusing more on the running side because I didn't want to load it up early. But now it's time to ramp up the running and transition to that."

The rest of Ed Tait's article is here with perspectives from Pat Neufeld and Brandon Alexander

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:42:01 AM »

Interesting article.  You'd think there'd be a big bump in home gym equipment sales to these guys this offseason...

As for Bighill's side job, it looks like his dime formation is back down to that nickel formation  Wink Grin Grin Grin

I kid, I kid

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 02:52:16 AM »

I can relate to a lesser degree. No YMCA for me. So crappy! I have a barbell with about 30 lbs of additional weight. So lots of push ups, rowing machine I have, running, walking, jogging, arm curls, some shoulder exercise but high volume because I don?t have heavier weights. It?s ok...for now.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »

Steve Nash just shut down his 25 Fitness World locations here the Vancouver area. It appears that will be permanent and the covid 19 was the last straw. That's unfortunate but there is going to be a lot of equipment up for sale eventually.

Global TV showed an individual working out at home with his dog ( golden retriever maybe ). It was funny. The dog was lying on his owner's back as a weight while he did push ups etc. The dog was seen encouraging his owner in a yoga pose.

No more excuses.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 09:17:06 PM »

Steve Nash just shut down his 25 Fitness World locations here the Vancouver area. It appears that will be permanent and the covid 19 was the last straw. That's unfortunate but there is going to be a lot of equipment up for sale eventually.

Global TV showed an individual working out at home with his dog ( golden retriever maybe ). It was funny. The dog was lying on his owner's back as a weight while he did push ups etc. The dog was seen encouraging his owner in a yoga pose.
25 gyms shut down for good, wow. That is crazy stuff.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: