Blue Bombers Forum
April 02, 2020, 02:49:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Season Miscellaneous News  (Read 543 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: March 23, 2020, 04:09:34 PM »

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
48m
Former NFL, current Riders' punter Jon Ryan diagnosed with skin cancer: Jon Ryan has announced that he has been diagnosed with skin cancer. The 38-year-old publicized the diagnosis on Michael Ball's podcast called Growing the Game. https://3downnation.com/2020/03/23/former-nfl-current-riders-punter-jon-ryan-diagnosed-with-skin-cancer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
 via @3DownNation
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:23:22 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 05:11:20 PM »

This is very unfortunate news for him. I am honestly surprised that we don't have more cases like this. Players spend a lot of time out in the sun. Football practice fields don't exactly have a lot of shade. Ryan is very fair-skinned. NFL training camps in the peak of summer sun would be a high-risk for skin cancer. CFL practices in June/July/August are no better.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue_or_die

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »

Yeah, bad news for JR. Hopefully he is able to control it with treatment. Feel for the guy, for sure.

This is very unfortunate news for him. I am honestly surprised that we don't have more cases like this. Players spend a lot of time out in the sun. Football practice fields don't exactly have a lot of shade. Ryan is very fair-skinned. NFL training camps in the peak of summer sun would be a high-risk for skin cancer. CFL practices in June/July/August are no better.

I would imagine the cases are congruent with other jobs that take place primarily outside. I mean, a construction worker probably spends more time per day outside than a football player, no? I wonder what the rates are in such professionals and the amount of correlation.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »

Yeah, bad news for JR. Hopefully he is able to control it with treatment. Feel for the guy, for sure.

I would imagine the cases are congruent with other jobs that take place primarily outside. I mean, a construction worker probably spends more time per day outside than a football player, no? I wonder what the rates are in such professionals and the amount of correlation.

I'd suspect that they are disproportionate to the average societal rate. Their stories wouldn't make the news though. We'd hear about football skin cancer rates at a much greater number because of the status of athletes in society and in their local communities.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue_or_die

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 06:03:33 PM »

I'd suspect that they are disproportionate to the average societal rate. Their stories wouldn't make the news though. We'd hear about football skin cancer rates at a much greater number because of the status of athletes in society and in their local communities.

I agree that's probably the case. Would be interesting to see the stats on that, though.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 03:02:16 AM »

He can beat it

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Jesse

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 12:25:25 PM »

His wife has said he's already beat it. It was diagnosed, they removed the offending cells, and he's going to be fine.

Apparently he gets yearly scans - he must have a family history.

My wife is amazing!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 02:06:25 AM »

Yes, skin cancer is often very beatable if you catch it super early.  But it tends to recur in different places, so remain vigilant.  Don't wait on weird moles and spots, get them checked right away.  (I've had many friends/family with the various benign and cancerous types.)

Glad to hear rouge-guy is ok.

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: