Blue Bombers Forum
April 02, 2020, 02:47:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarantine TV: What games do you want to see?  (Read 396 times)
Blue In Edmonton

« on: March 15, 2020, 05:48:16 PM »

Without live sports for a long while, I suspect that TSN and Sportsnet will be broadcasting a lot of classic games. If you had influence, what games would you pick to see? (CFL only given where we're posting)

Recent games, like the 2019 playoffs, don't get me too excited because I've just seen them. Also, the 84/88/90 Grey Cups have been shown plenty on ESPN Classic. For me, here's a listing of five games that I think would be cool to see (in no particular order):

1. 2006 - Milt's Miracle
2. 2005 - Milt's four-catch/four-TD Thanksgiving game
3. 1984 - Brockbusters
4. 2009 - Fred Reid rushing record
5. 1981 - Vince Ferragamo comes to Winnipeg and the Bombers win 58-2

I would have put Dunnigan's 713 on the list, but we all know there was no TV for that game. Of course, I'm not sure there was TV for some of the older games here, either. Rights holder issues are also a factor. Nevertheless, it's a wish list.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Bombers9256

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 06:23:49 PM »

Pray tell, for a younger fan like me, what was the 1984 Brockbusters game?

#fortheW
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 07:12:28 PM »

It was the only game where Deiter Brock returned to Winnipeg after being traded to Hamilton. He was traded in 1983 after an ugly holdout, but this was the only game he played in Winnipeg after being traded. Someone has written parody lyrics of the Ghostbusters theme to go with the occasion. The old stadium was very energized that day.

Posting Live From Home

Tiger

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 07:15:01 PM »

Without live sports for a long while, I suspect that TSN and Sportsnet will be broadcasting a lot of classic games. If you had influence, what games would you pick to see? (CFL only given where we're posting)

Recent games, like the 2019 playoffs, don't get me too excited because I've just seen them. Also, the 84/88/90 Grey Cups have been shown plenty on ESPN Classic. For me, here's a listing of five games that I think would be cool to see (in no particular order):

1. 2006 - Milt's Miracle
2. 2005 - Milt's four-catch/four-TD Thanksgiving game
3. 1984 - Brockbusters
4. 2009 - Fred Reid rushing record
5. 1981 - Vince Ferragamo comes to Winnipeg and the Bombers win 58-2

I would have put Dunnigan's 713 on the list, but we all know there was no TV for that game. Of course, I'm not sure there was TV for some of the older games here, either. Rights holder issues are also a factor. Nevertheless, it's a wish list.

At least that and last season

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
blue girl

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »

For selfish reasons I'd like to see the 84 WF. I would also like to see the 84 Grey Cup, Rod Hill's 5 INT in one game, the 88 Grey Cup, Last years WF and Grey Cup. I would also love to see Matt Dunigan's 713 yards passing and it's unfortunate that we can't. It's funny that Brockbusters was mentioned. Everytime I hear the Ghostbusters theme all I can think is Brockbusters.  Cheesy
gobombersgo

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 07:50:54 PM »

It was the only game where Deiter Brock returned to Winnipeg after being traded to Hamilton. He was traded in 1983 after an ugly holdout, but this was the only game he played in Winnipeg after being traded. Someone has written parody lyrics of the Ghostbusters theme to go with the occasion. The old stadium was very energized that day.
I believe it was Joey Gregorash that sang it. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy of the song anywhere.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 02:31:21 AM »

I like all of your ideas.  I would also like to see that game in 2010(?) at CanadInns where we came back down 14+ (I think) in the 4th to win it.

Also, I would like to see any pre-1980 WPG GC win

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 02:51:30 AM »

I like all of your ideas.  I would also like to see that game in 2010(?) at CanadInns where we came back down 14+ (I think) in the 4th to win it.

Also, I would like to see any pre-1980 WPG GC win

2010. Thanksgiving weekend vs BC.

Posting Live From Home

TecnoGenius

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 03:09:15 AM »

Thanks BinE!  I'd also like to see the 2011 EDF again.

blue_or_die

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »

Anytime we played the Riders and won, I can watch those all year.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Stretch

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »

Taking that a step further, I'd want to watch any games that the Riders lost (to anyone).  Grin

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 02:14:11 PM »

The LDC win a couple years back. Amazing ending!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_or_die

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »

Taking that a step further, I'd want to watch any games that the Riders lost (to anyone).  Grin

Yes those are also enjoyable. During the CFL season, when the Bombers aren't playing I watch Rider games intently and cheer avidly for the other team as if it were the Bombers. Seeing them lose sparks joy in my life.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
dd

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 06:14:49 PM »

Ditto!! The 1980's (can't recall the exact year) game where we beat them 58-0 comes to mind as the best all time Rider BeatDown!!!
BlueInCgy

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 06:33:19 PM »

2001 season games (less the GC) would be fun to watch again.  Bruce/Simon/Stegall/Gordon would be fun to watch in the "if we only knew then what we knew now" mode, and the Sellers pulling the pile for the TD with no helmet on is burned in my brain.

Swaggerville era stuff might be fun to watch as well, minus the cup game.

And at least one game from the Hall/Goltz/Elliot/Brink days would be good, just to remind us how much progress we've actually made in the last little while.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »

And at least one game from the Hall/Goltz/Elliot/Brink days would be good, just to remind us how much progress we've actually made in the last little while.

If you're going there, gotta get that one Brohm start (or did he relieve?).  Brohm getting a 100% completion rate with the receiver named TURF is something to behold.

blue girl

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 08:20:09 PM »

For non Bomber games I wouldn't mind seeing the '91 Grey Cup again. I froze through it the first time. Besides it would be nice to see John Candy again and the beer flying out during Rocket's kick return TD.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: