Blue Bombers Forum
April 03, 2020, 06:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: curious what people think
too early to tell - 26 (38.8%)
by a few weeks - 6 (9%)
by a month - 3 (4.5%)
shortened season - 14 (20.9%)
season is toast - 11 (16.4%)
no - 7 (10.4%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Start of 2020 CFL Season Postponed Indefinitely  (Read 4356 times)
PurpleReign

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »

Any one that thinks this thing will be over by June is fooling themselves.  In Canada and USA you haven't seen nothing yet they are so behind in testing to many countries.  How many more are really sick?
TecnoGenius

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 06:22:16 AM »

I think, while it is illogical and untrue, the panic is probably a good thing. Over-reaction, as long as it doesn't get to a horading/violence point, can make the ability to fight the pandemic easier, and take that dangerous spike off of the table...

I don't see anyone panicking, not here on the forum, not in the stores.  Telling what we perceive as the truth and predicting negative outcomes that might contradict the official narrative-of-the-day in the immediate, near and mid-range future is not panic.  I see it as warning and helping our fellow man so they can be prepared and hopefully have better outcomes, because as we've all seen, many Winnipeggers were clueless this was coming and are staring at empty shelves.  And like you said, if people remain civil, there really is no downside to preparing and assuming the worst.  If it all blows over (which we all wish), then the worst that happened is the prepared folk don't have to buy TP or canned/dry goods for 2 years!

It also is nice to see everyone taking hygiene more seriously.  People should be washing their hands all the time anyhow.  Same with using hand sanitizer, and companies providing cleaner environments.  Not only will that help slow covid a bit, it will also reduce flu/cold numbers this season.

BTW, Aards, I need a new mercury-vapor for my RES, so if you're going to close up your shop due to covid, warn me first!!  Grin Cheesy Cool

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
bigbuff33

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 03:27:45 PM »

Reality...we haven't even hit the peak...it's going to be a lot worse before it gets better.   Spain on lock down...Puerto Rico on lockdown...US is next and we're not far behind...this is going to be months, not weeks...

No way training camps open on time...we;ll be lucky to have games this summer...
blue_or_die

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »

This thread is going to be so interesting to revisit in the summer.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Tiger

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 07:12:19 PM »

Maybe.  It is in the same family as SARS. Cars was dying out late May and June an gone in late July.  Then it came back the following fall  (November?).

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
blue girl

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 07:59:24 PM »

I'm not saying that the worst is over but I don't think that it's going to get as bad as some people think. They're doing this so that our hospitals don't get overwhelmed with patients. Remember they had trouble back in December when during the flu epidemic they were asking people that had come to stay with patients if they could leave the waiting room because there wasn't enough room for everyone. As for me I was at the hospital on Friday and unless I hear otherwise will return Tuesday. I live in an apartment building and take the bus. So far everything is good.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 11:43:47 PM »

I'm not saying that the worst is over but I don't think that it's going to get as bad as some people think. They're doing this so that our hospitals don't get overwhelmed with patients. Remember they had trouble back in December when during the flu epidemic they were asking people that had come to stay with patients if they could leave the waiting room because there wasn't enough room for everyone. As for me I was at the hospital on Friday and unless I hear otherwise will return Tuesday. I live in an apartment building and take the bus. So far everything is good.
Good! Smiley

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 02:58:36 AM »

I don't see anyone panicking, not here on the forum, not in the stores.  Telling what we perceive as the truth and predicting negative outcomes that might contradict the official narrative-of-the-day in the immediate, near and mid-range future is not panic.  I see it as warning and helping our fellow man so they can be prepared and hopefully have better outcomes, because as we've all seen, many Winnipeggers were clueless this was coming and are staring at empty shelves.  And like you said, if people remain civil, there really is no downside to preparing and assuming the worst.  If it all blows over (which we all wish), then the worst that happened is the prepared folk don't have to buy TP or canned/dry goods for 2 years!

It also is nice to see everyone taking hygiene more seriously.  People should be washing their hands all the time anyhow.  Same with using hand sanitizer, and companies providing cleaner environments.  Not only will that help slow covid a bit, it will also reduce flu/cold numbers this season.

BTW, Aards, I need a new mercury-vapor for my RES, so if you're going to close up your shop due to covid, warn me first!!  Grin Cheesy Cool

Wwll, as a shopkeeper, I am seeing a limited panic 300% of normal sales Fri, Sat...), and as a shopper, empty shelves tell the story... not just TP, but bread, which makes no sense, it is the most perishable of commodities. 

And no, I do not forsee any issues with staying open, and our regular hours, we are after all a food store.  I can understand the mall stores not having enough traffic to justify their regular hours.  Discretionary spending is going to take a huge hit, from both sides.  People aren't buying so hours get cut and people can't buy...  it will be interesting to see what measures are taken, and how badly they are abused.  As an uninsured small businessman, no EI for me if things get rough.  I'm confident that this isn't going to be apocalyptic...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 03:10:28 AM »

Just watching Jay and Dan tonight. Though they were talking about the NHL, the person that was speaking (I didn't note who it was, but it wasn't Jay or Dan) said that the timeline is likely 4-6 months. Six months gets us to September. That's an 8 or 9 game CFL season at best.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 03:16:44 AM »

Wwll, as a shopkeeper, I am seeing a limited panic 300% of normal sales Fri, Sat...)

No such thing.  Panic is panic or it isn't.  There is no limited panic.  That by definition is "orderly business".  Perhaps fervent or with urgency.  But that's not panic.  Panic is the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

As an uninsured small businessman, no EI for me if things get rough.  I'm confident that this isn't going to be apocalyptic...

Yes, your store may fare better than most in this situation.  And the small number of employees and mild foot traffic means you may still be able to stay open while remaining safe(ish) from infection.  If you do run into trouble, there is talk in Canada / US of setting up small business funds that would probably provide things like emergency bridge loans.  It helps no one if every non-Walmart goes out of business.  Italy has suspended mortgage payments, and I assume rent relief, etc.  It's like everything goes on hold until... whenever.

Good luck to Aards, and every other business person here (like myself)!

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
blue_or_die

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »

No such thing.  Panic is panic or it isn't.  There is no limited panic.  That by definition is "orderly business".  Perhaps fervent or with urgency.  But that's not panic.  Panic is the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Yes, your store may fare better than most in this situation.  And the small number of employees and mild foot traffic means you may still be able to stay open while remaining safe(ish) from infection.  If you do run into trouble, there is talk in Canada / US of setting up small business funds that would probably provide things like emergency bridge loans.  It helps no one if every non-Walmart goes out of business.  Italy has suspended mortgage payments, and I assume rent relief, etc.  It's like everything goes on hold until... whenever.

Good luck to Aards, and every other business person here (like myself)!

Calling a 300% increase "limited panic" sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
VictorRomano

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »

Given that Alberta just cancelled school for the remainder of the school year, I think any large group gatherings will be suspended until at least the end of May.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/students-are-expected-to-stay-home-alberta-schools-daycares-to-close-over-covid-19-concerns-1.4853911
theaardvark

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 12:32:04 AM »

One ting that people are missing in the determination or the length of the issue is the potential of a anti-viral (cure) / vaccine.  Sounds like both are likely in testing right now, and who knows, might be generally available withing a month.  Once the population can be vaccinated, or symptomatic patients "cured", return to "normalcy" is not far behind...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 01:24:40 AM »

One ting that people are missing in the determination or the length of the issue is the potential of a anti-viral (cure) / vaccine.  Sounds like both are likely in testing right now, and who knows, might be generally available withing a month.  Once the population can be vaccinated, or symptomatic patients "cured", return to "normalcy" is not far behind...

I don't think it will come that fast

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Jockitch

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 01:48:57 AM »

Voted that no season will be witnessed ........ will be very grateful if I am wrong

I do trust in the scientists to come up with something. However, this COVID 19 is really by all accounts, in its' infancy ......... it is a terrible "almost surreal" Global issue
Relief & rules of mingling in large crowds again are NOT in the near future, I'm sorry to guess & say.

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP BOUND

HUSTLE & MUSCLE IN "19"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: