Blue Bombers Forum
April 03, 2020, 06:10:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: curious what people think
too early to tell - 26 (38.8%)
by a few weeks - 6 (9%)
by a month - 3 (4.5%)
shortened season - 14 (20.9%)
season is toast - 11 (16.4%)
no - 7 (10.4%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Start of 2020 CFL Season Postponed Indefinitely  (Read 4355 times)
PurpleReign

« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2020, 10:14:28 PM »

If I could change my vote, I'd now vote that the entire season will be lost. I know that people (me included, certainly) cling to the hopes that sport brings. There will be no Stanley Cup, no NBA Championship, no MLB season. I think a CFL season that reasonably would start in September or later isn't worth trying to have. The NFL has a shot at an abbreviated season.

I said it all along there will be no football this year and I believe it. The worst hasn't even come yet.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2020, 01:25:34 AM »

Last week I voted the season is toast.  My guess is confirmation won't happen until sometime in June or July when it appears half of season  won't even be viable. 

I could also see some franchises folding ie. BC and Montreal given their massive losses in recent years and continued losses this year despite no season.  Remember there are still expenses for each team regardless of not having to pay players...probably million in expenses too.  I could see ownership walking away from a few teams leaving the league holding the keys.  There is a good chance the league will be unable to find owners for 2 or 3 teams within a short time span.

Meanwhile all the other teams which barely break even, if that, will have to deal with their own losses...there won't be any revenue sharing. 

Worst case scenario, which I think has a good possibility of happening, would be the folding of the CFL.  This league is far from capable to dealing with a crisis like this due to limited revenue growth (and limited profits) over the past decade and a viewing demographic which is undesirable to outside investors in the future.  On a positive note, if the league does fold, a new league would likely emerge in short order.  However, it would likely be on a smaller scale with lower salaries and operational costs. 
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2020, 04:15:15 AM »

I said long ago there will be no CFL this year.

There will be no CFL this year.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:39 AM »

Mud & others, exactly what statement of mine is false?  Please elaborate.  Ad hominem is not an argument and reveals weakness.  Just because many of you take the CBC reporting as timely, accurate and sacrosanct really does not make it so.  Sorry.

You want links to reputable sources for everything I said, here you go:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-promising-antiviral-is-being-tested-for-the-coronavirus-but-results-are-not-yet-out/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-thailand-idUSKBN1ZW0GQ
https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Health-Ministry-approves-experimental-treatments-for-coronavirus-621209
https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/analysis/coronavirus-mers-cov-drugs/

Just search the pages for HIV.  There are at least 2-3 different HIV drugs being tested, some with some success so far, especially in Asia.

Fact.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3335060/
NIH is the USA National Institute of Health

"Conclusions: These SARS-CoV vaccines all induced antibody and protection against infection with SARS-CoV. However, challenge of mice given any of the vaccines led to occurrence of Th2-type immunopathology suggesting hypersensitivity to SARS-CoV components was induced. Caution in proceeding to application of a SARS-CoV vaccine in humans is indicated."

"In addition to the RSV experience, concern for an inappropriate response among persons vaccinated with a SARS-CoV vaccine emanated from experiences with coronavirus infections and disease in animals that included enhanced disease among infected animals vaccinated earlier with a coronavirus vaccine [31]. Feline infectious peritonitis coronavirus (FIPV) is a well-known example of antibody-mediated enhanced uptake of virus in macrophages that disseminate and increase virus quantities that lead to enhanced disease [31], [45]. Antigen-antibody complex formation with complement activation can also occur in that infection and some other coronavirus infections in animals. Thus, concern for safety of administering SARS-CoV vaccines to humans became an early concern in vaccine development."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/26/coronavirus-vaccines-are-far-off-fda-official-says-but-drugs-to-treat-patients-could-come-sooner/
"Marks said a real late-stage trial to test a vaccine is likely "months away." One concern is that some previous coronavirus vaccines have caused worsening of the disease, not improvement."

Fact.

https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/news/2020/02/when-will-there-be-a-coronavirus-vaccine
"A coronavirus vaccine for humans has never been developed and tested before, so we have no experience whatsoever with it."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/28/21156385/covid-coronavirus-vaccine-treatment-moderna-remdesivir-research
"Developing this one is made more difficult because there has never been a vaccine for any type of coronavirus. "We don't have a production platform, we have no experience in safety, we don't know if there will be complications. We have to start from scratch, basically," Krammer says."

Fact.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170629123855.htm
"Human coronaviruses, for example, cause up to 30 percent of common colds."

https://asm.org/Articles/2020/January/2019-Novel-Coronavirus-2019-nCoV-Update-Uncoating
"Only alpha and beta coronaviruses are known to infect humans . These viruses spread through the air and are responsible for about 10-30 percent of colds worldwide."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/infectious-disease-expert-discusses-what-we-know-about-the-new-virus-in-china1/
"Coronaviruses represent 10 to 30 percent of common colds."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-why-it-takes-at-least-a-year-to-make-a-vaccine.html
"Hopes to get a vaccine to market are high, but doctors want expectations to be low for how quickly it can happen. Developing, testing and reviewing any potential vaccine is a long, complex and expensive endeavor that could take months or even years, global health experts say."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-vaccine-update-when-covid-19-cure-how-long-uk/
"The bad news is that that a vaccine is unlikely to be ready for worldwide use by the beginning of the next year at the earliest.  Covid-19 has also mutated into two strains, one which appears to be far more aggressive, scientists have said, in a discovery which could hinder attempts to develop a vaccine."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51665497
"But even if scientists can celebrate having developed a vaccine this year, there is still the massive job of being able to mass-produce it. It means, realistically, one would not be ready until at least the middle of next year."

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/484702-health-official-says-coronavirus-vaccine-will-take-at
"A top U.S. health official said on Wednesday that it will take "at least a year to a year and a half at best" to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus"

This statement I made ("many years") is the only one that is partially my opinion.  It is a fact that a vaccine will not be in the hands of your doctor for at minimum a year.  Many places are saying trials won't end for 1.5 years.  That would mean it won't be in the hands of your doctor for 1.5 to 2.0+ years, as they have to then mass-produce it.

And all the 1 to 1.5+ estimates all assume everything goes flawlessly with the research and trials.  Sure, it could happen.  But I am wary of such optimism, for the precise reason (fact) I laid out earlier: no one has ever made a final, approved and successful coronavirus vaccine for humans!  They worked on SARS for 5 years and never got a vaccine done, and that's this millennium, not back in the stone age.  Has science really progressed so much that they can whip up a covid vaccine in mere weeks?  Sure, it's possible.  I'm a big believer in technology (after all I am Tecno).  But, my glasses are blue colored, not vaccine-colored.  I don't believe in rosy outcomes "it's different this time" until I see the proof.

If it makes you feel any better, change my statement to "there won't be an effective covid vaccine for two years".  This is my opinion based on my research and arguments given above.  Feel free to form your own opinion after reading as much as I have on the subject.  In any event, there is no way whatsoever that we will have a vaccine in your doctor's hand before the 2020 CFL season is over.  Fact.

That addresses all statements of fact I made in my post.  Instead of juvenile ridicule, I would hope replies this time address the facts at hand.  I would be happy to have an intelligent conversation about these topics with interested parties.  If you read to here and looked at the links and learned something new, ask yourself why you haven't heard of these facts yet?  Don't they seem relevant?  Important even?

I'll finish with my #1 fan, Mud, being entirely hypocritical:

Is your estimate regarding a cancelled season your medical opinion, Mud?  Are you a doc?  Roll Eyes

Nope   but i listen and pay attention 

What ya think?  Will they play?

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
bigbuff33

« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2020, 11:13:29 AM »

I am cautiously expecting schools to return in September...
If there is a go ahead for schools, then the toy department may be able to resume at the same time...
But...that's just me probably more hopeful than anything...

I do worry about the future of BC, Toronto and Montreal...

The league could be in serious trouble if a season isn't played.
GCn19

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:16 AM »

I really honestly don't think we see much of this to the majority of people past the middle of June. Either extreme measures will be taken soon and the numbers flatline or they don't and we blow up like Italy. Either way historically viruses work quickly and don't tend to iinger months on end. I can see the vulnerable people dealing with this for quite some time but I honestly think the next couple months see the high water mark reached and then a decline.

I can see travel bans in effect for quite some time though as countries with overcrowding and economic problems struggle for much longer.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2020, 12:25:55 PM »

I really honestly don't think we see much of this to the majority of people past the middle of June. Either extreme measures will be taken soon and the numbers flatline or they don't and we blow up like Italy. Either way historically viruses work quickly and don't tend to iinger months on end. I can see the vulnerable people dealing with this for quite some time but I honestly think the next couple months see the high water mark reached and then a decline.

I can see travel bans in effect for quite some time though as countries with overcrowding and economic problems struggle for much longer.

Thing is, even if numbers flatline and begin to decline, does that signal the end of social distancing such that it would allow pro sports events to go on? If we flatline, that just means we have gotten a degree of control over it, spread over a longer period of time, and disrupting measures that lead to that would blow it all up.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Jesse

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »

Thing is, even if numbers flatline and begin to decline, does that signal the end of social distancing such that it would allow pro sports events to go on? If we flatline, that just means we have gotten a degree of control over it, spread over a longer period of time, and disrupting measures that lead to that would blow it all up.

We all have to hope that people don't jump the gun on resuming sports before this is totally in hand.

We'll have to see flat-lined and declining numbers for months before normal life can continue.

My wife is amazing!
bigbuff33

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »

Exactly Jess.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »

...historically viruses work quickly and don't tend to iinger months on end.

That isn't really the case for novel (new) viruses to which the vast majority of the population lacks the ability to fight it. Common cold and flu viruses circulate the globe year-round but we've collectively developed the ability to fight them thanks to our immune system.

This current strain of coronavirus is neither, hence the damage it's doing worldwide. We don't have an immunity against it as we do those other more common viruses. There are also two other factors to consider: additional waves of COVID-19 as it works its way through the global population and potential mutation of the virus, the latter of which got the ball rolling on this pandemic in the first place.

The whole rationale in "flattening the curve" is to minimize the extent of the damage, ease the load on our medical infrastructure, and save as many lives as possible. Sporting events don't encourage any of those objectives. One could make the argument they have the opposite effect.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:13:20 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid.
Donny C

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »

We all have to hope that people don't jump the gun on resuming sports before this is totally in hand.

We'll have to see flat-lined and declining numbers for months before normal life can continue.

If people head this advice, we still have a long road ahead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-covid-19-second-wave-1.5507522?fbclid=IwAR0k_LIiAAignb97jAt3TmB0kDLv41MrASkuP1qn0oBes7BYVMXQObmof0M
Jesse

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2020, 02:35:32 PM »

We do have a long road ahead. That's reality.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2020, 02:59:30 PM »

Last week I voted the season is toast.  My guess is confirmation won't happen until sometime in June or July when it appears half of season  won't even be viable. 

I could also see some franchises folding ie. BC and Montreal given their massive losses in recent years and continued losses this year despite no season.  Remember there are still expenses for each team regardless of not having to pay players...probably million in expenses too.  I could see ownership walking away from a few teams leaving the league holding the keys.  There is a good chance the league will be unable to find owners for 2 or 3 teams within a short time span.

Meanwhile all the other teams which barely break even, if that, will have to deal with their own losses...there won't be any revenue sharing. 

Worst case scenario, which I think has a good possibility of happening, would be the folding of the CFL.  This league is far from capable to dealing with a crisis like this due to limited revenue growth (and limited profits) over the past decade and a viewing demographic which is undesirable to outside investors in the future.  On a positive note, if the league does fold, a new league would likely emerge in short order.  However, it would likely be on a smaller scale with lower salaries and operational costs. 

I don't see teams folding but without a season to play the CFL landscape changes radically, most player and coaching contracts will be put on hold or voided and many participants will be forced to move on with their lives in order to survive, unlikely to ever return.  Without incoming revenue teams will reduce their staff to bare bones as they did during the WW2, maybe a handful of administrative people to maintain the infrastructure but no marketing or event personnel and no TSN money. 
theaardvark

« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2020, 03:18:30 PM »

Vaccines for coronaviruses don't seem to be the norm, whereas for other infectious diseases, they are.  So, while I am hopeful, I am not optimistic.  

More importantly, a simple treatment/cure is far more important for a return to normalcy.  Once we know that *if* someone gets infected and becomes symptomatic, they are not facing a death sentence, but rather a simple treatment, life changes.  

Right now, infection/spread means that our treatment facilities are going to be inundated with patients requiring ICU beds.  If infected people can be treated with a simple out patient drug protocol, concern for getting infected drops dramatically.

Much as Trump is an idiot for suggesting that Malaria drugs are going to be enough to save everyone and return the world to normal, there is a grain of truth to that.  Getting a scientifically verified treatment will be our path to normalcy, or as close to normalcy as we will see.  Just like life did not return to the normal of pre-9/11 after the crisis passed, likewise we may see some paradigm changes in the way business, leaisure and travel are done caused by this pandemic.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2020, 03:19:45 PM »

I don't see teams folding but without a season to play the CFL landscape changes radically, most player and coaching contracts will be put on hold or voided and many participants will be forced to move on with their lives in order to survive, unlikely to ever return.  Without incoming revenue teams will reduce their staff to bare bones as they did during the WW2, maybe a handful of administrative people to maintain the infrastructure but no marketing or event personnel and no TSN money. 

For teams that own their facilities, an empty year can be catastrophic.  And depending on how they will be held to honouring contracts for coaches / staff, again, with no income, that can break their backs.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: