Blue Bombers Forum
April 02, 2020, 02:45:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: curious what people think
too early to tell - 26 (39.4%)
by a few weeks - 6 (9.1%)
by a month - 3 (4.5%)
shortened season - 13 (19.7%)
season is toast - 11 (16.7%)
no - 7 (10.6%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Start of 2020 CFL Season Postponed Indefinitely  (Read 4011 times)
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« on: March 13, 2020, 06:34:07 PM »

Embarrassed

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
booch

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »

Highly doubt it will
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »

I think it's too early to tell. Manitoba's schools will be closed for three weeks. It's probably unlikely that this continues into late May or June or but you never know. We'll be playing football this season, it's just a matter of how long these outbreaks last. Also keep in mind that we will be somewhat dependent on other places. The CFL can't very well start the season until the threat is over for all cities with teams. There could very well be a problem area or two that makes it complicated for the rest of the country.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 07:49:39 PM »

Will it be delayed?  No.

Why?  Because either by then, this will have run its course, in which case there will be a desire to get life back to normal, or it will be much worse, in which case football won't be on anyone's radar and the season will be cancelled altogether.

Based on other areas of the world, I'm going with the former. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 07:58:35 PM »

If there is any delay I would expect a shortened season. There isn't much room to make up games IMO.

It's still very early and guesses range from pessimistic to optimistic.

Only the real medical experts might have an idea but I think the public is just being hopeful.

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:57:21 PM »

I believe what they're doing right now is to stop the spread of the disease. We have 3 months until the start of the season. If this is still a problem then I don't think that it's ever going away. 
pjrocksmb

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 11:16:01 PM »

I believe what they're doing right now is to stop the spread of the disease. We have 3 months until the start of the season. If this is still a problem then I don't think that it's ever going away. 
Disagree, it will go away in it's pandemic form in months, just needs to run it's course.  Just a matter of how long and what the death toll is.

They will find a way to combat it just like many other issues before it.

the paw

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 12:55:27 AM »

The strategy right now is to flatten the curve.  By slowing the rate of spread, the number of people who are critically ill at one time will be less likely to overwhelm the health care system.  But flattening the curve means the outbreak will continue over a longer period.

The other factor is that China is an authoritarian state that eventually implemented pretty draconian curfews, travel restrictions, and quarantines.  Canada will be unlikely to respond in the same way.

Not sure what that all means for the CFL season, but I don't think we can extrapolate from the Chinese experience for a timeline.

grab grass 'n growl
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 01:13:07 AM »

China is on the rebound from this now so things should rebound here well in time for camp and season.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 02:15:52 AM »

The strategy right now is to flatten the curve.  By slowing the rate of spread, the number of people who are critically ill at one time will be less likely to overwhelm the health care system.  But flattening the curve means the outbreak will continue over a longer period.

The other factor is that China is an authoritarian state that eventually implemented pretty draconian curfews, travel restrictions, and quarantines.  Canada will be unlikely to respond in the same way.

Not sure what that all means for the CFL season, but I don't think we can extrapolate from the Chinese experience for a timeline.
Concur 100%!  I'd be very very surprised if the season goes ahead...apocalyptic?  Well sort of!   Sorry, but we are dealing with a virus with an incubation period of up to 14-24 days!!   There are people walking out in the streets, in pubs and bars or on buses that are carrying it and infecting others in the process before they even have symptoms.....think about that for a bit....

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/flattening-curve-coronavirus/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:23:09 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 03:32:48 AM »

Sorry.  IMHO there is no way the CFL is playing to live audiences in stadiums for many months.  Come June the virus will be just getting going.  And if it peters out, the second wave will hit once people start going out again, just like the Spanish flu.  I don't see any semblance of normality for live sports for 8-10 months (or years at worst).

Forget what China's numbers show -- they cannot be trusted.  Instead pay attention to Italy, as that's the western test case / petri dish with stats that are more trustworthy.  Italy is a "rich" G7 country most analogous to Canada relative to the other basket-case covid countries.  Places like Denmark, Germany and Sweden are also worth watching.  They are a couple of weeks ahead of us.

I hope and pray I am grossly mistaken!  Everyone keep safe!!

WPG BB: GC champs for 2019 and 2020!

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 03:35:41 AM »

Sorry.  IMHO there is no way the CFL is playing to live audiences in stadiums for many months.  Come June the virus will be just getting going.  And if it peters out, the second wave will hit once people start going out again, just like the Spanish flu.  I don't see any semblance of normality for live sports for 8-10 months (or years at worst).

Forget what China's numbers show -- they cannot be trusted.  Instead pay attention to Italy, as that's the western test case / petri dish with stats that are more trustworthy.  Italy is a "rich" G7 country most analogous to Canada relative to the other basket-case covid countries.  Places like Denmark, Germany and Sweden are also worth watching.  They are a couple of weeks ahead of us.

I hope and pray I am grossly mistaken!  Everyone keep safe!!

WPG BB: GC champs for 2019 and 2020!

yes to that....and I hope we are both wrong as well.   Everyone take care of yourselves and keep smilin!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
theaardvark

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »

I think, while it is illogical and untrue, the panic is probably a good thing.  Over-reaction, as long as it doesn't get to a horading/violence point, can make the ability to fight the pandemic easier, and take that dangerous spike off of the table...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »

some good debate, keep it coming and keep voting very interesting to know everyone's preservatives.  Stay calm and project your loved ones that are at risk (ill, old, etc.).  I can take no hockey but no CFL is a big shot to my summer fun!  That said if it's necessary at the time it's understandable if the season is impacted to protect the health of the pubic, players, coaches, managers and support staff.

Sec227

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 04:17:32 PM »

China is on the rebound from this now so things should rebound here well in time for camp and season.
True, But its was almost 3 mths. Were 2 mths behind them still, that could be 5/6 mths.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: