Blue Bombers Forum
April 03, 2020, 07:50:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: F1 season 2020  (Read 152 times)
TecnoGenius

« on: March 12, 2020, 06:00:57 AM »

F1 revs up this weekend, with the race on Mar 15 at midnight.

They've already cancelled China.  More to come?  It's shaping up to be the strangest year I can recall for F1.

"Who cares about car racing Tecno?!" -- me, Goldie and IIRC at least 3 other posters, that's who  Cool Shocked Wink

My McLaren got 4th(!!) in 2019.  Go McLaren!  Get 3rd this year and win me a race!  Both Norris and Sainz looked far better than I could have hoped or guessed -- they have some real pace and talent.

Who y'all rooting for?

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »

This is probably going to get cancelled.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:29:45 PM »

Like to see Ferrari get going more seriously and Canadian drivers do better.

It ain?t starting on time though. Could end up being quite the mess of a season.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 06:13:41 AM »

Argh, a McLaren team member tested positive and they just cancelled the entire Australian GP weekend.  So much for that.

Like to see Ferrari get going more seriously and Canadian drivers do better.

Stroll was/is only there because of daddy's money.  He's not that fast.  He was so bad they couldn't even buy him a seat so daddy bought the whole team!!  I need a daddy like that!  Wink

I'd love to see another '94 Villeneuve.  But it's really hard in Canada as there's no development stream.  I keep trying to get my kid into carting here, as he has a love of cars and racing, but there really isn't much here to get into!  You have to ship your kid off to Europe at a very young age to have any chance, and you have to be rich.  We're doing ok, but we're not rich like that!  So where are these new Canadian drivers going to come from??  It takes more than money... you need raw talent.

I'm real impressed with the Norris UK kid.  Fast, and a funny/witty interview.

As for Ferrari -- my nemesis  Wink Wink Cheesy  Yes, the sport is better when they are competitive.  It's so boring if Merc just runs away with it every week.  I'd prefer McLaren gives Merc grief, but I'll take Ferrari if I have to.  After years of hating watching Schumacher win every single week (except on Michelin tracks, hehe), I find it odd I root for Ferrari sometimes now.  But Leclerc doesn't seem like such a bad kid.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 06:31:07 AM »

It gets worse...

Bahrain and Vietnam (its first race ever) have been postponed.  So now F1 is not set to start until the "end of May", but is subject to further review.  China was already cancelled.

May has lined up the European start: Netherlands, Spain, Monaco.

I seriously doubt the situation will much better in those places (except maybe big-$$ Monaco) by then, so I expect those will be cancelled/delayed too.  And by then there should be a ton of team members, F1 staff, etc, who have covid, meaning the F1 circus won't be travelling anywhere, even countries with no cases.

Canada by Jun 12-14 should be in pretty bad shape, so Montreal is probably not going to happen.

Unless it all burns out in the next couple of months, there may not be any F1 season at all.  Even if a miracle occurs and the world is home free by October, how would they structure the remainder of the season?  Is it legal by F1 rules to have just a 5-ish race season?

Tiger

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 07:17:33 PM »

It gets worse...

Bahrain and Vietnam (its first race ever) have been postponed.  So now F1 is not set to start until the "end of May", but is subject to further review.  China was already cancelled.

May has lined up the European start: Netherlands, Spain, Monaco.

I seriously doubt the situation will much better in those places (except maybe big-$$ Monaco) by then, so I expect those will be cancelled/delayed too.  And by then there should be a ton of team members, F1 staff, etc, who have covid, meaning the F1 circus won't be travelling anywhere, even countries with no cases.

Canada by Jun 12-14 should be in pretty bad shape, so Montreal is probably not going to happen.

Unless it all burns out in the next couple of months, there may not be any F1 season at all.  Even if a miracle occurs and the world is home free by October, how would they structure the remainder of the season?  Is it legal by F1 rules to have just a 5-ish race season?

Friends are going to Montreal race and asked me.  Updates are appreciated.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
TecnoGenius

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 03:23:46 AM »

Friends are going to Montreal race and asked me.  Updates are appreciated.

Based on everything I've read and learned and know, I would say it's a 90% chance MTL F1 GP is cancelled (or postponed, but until when?).  Of course, I'm the triple-thick tin-foil wearer, but if anyone wanted to bet me money on this, I'd take that bet.

Even if F1 manages to hold a race before June MTL GP, I doubt they want to risk flying the circus all the way to Canada.  Canada might not even let them in.  Canada might still have their "no events over 250 people" then.

Holy moses, can you imagine that subway ride to/from the track island with covid still around??  Who is going to take that risk?  I've been to MTL GPs and the subway station and trains are worse than sardines or Japan trains in rush hour when the events end.  110k people leaving through one station within about 2 hours.  Crazy.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: