Blue Bombers Forum
May 28, 2020, 12:57:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus threat to CFL games?  (Read 3965 times)
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2020, 03:55:53 PM »

What I don't understand is people who actually don't buy toilet paper on the regular anyway.  I buy it whenever it's on sale in a store I'm in, cause it doesn't go bad, there is always a need for it, and running out of it is simply not an option.  That's not to say I have a wall of TP in my basement, but there's always a full 24 pack (minimum) plus four rolls in every bathroom.

Ditto. Honestly, I think this whole TP craze started as a joke on social media. I guess the ignorant, panicky masses were unable to pick up on that and now here we are.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Colton

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2020, 04:00:19 PM »

I went into Sobeys before work, they had the 36 roll packs of my preferred brand on sale for 8.99 (12 triple rolls), reg $15.99... so I bought 4 (which is what I usually do when they are on sale).

Just boggle my mind. If you need 140 rolls of TP to get through a 14 day quarantine, you need to see the doctor about something other than a virus...

Why did you buy 144 rolls of toiler paper then?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
theaardvark

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2020, 05:46:58 PM »

Why did you buy 144 rolls of toiler paper then?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It was on sale, and it is my normal buy level.  This is for the family and the store.  My daughter has Crohn's, so I make sure we never get close to being out, the stress is hard on her as it is...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »

Ditto. Honestly, I think this whole TP craze started as a joke on social media. I guess the ignorant, panicky masses were unable to pick up on that and now here we are.
society moves in herds

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue girl

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2020, 08:51:09 PM »

I also don't get the thing with the toilet paper either. I thought this was a respiratory illness therefore I would stock up on tissues. I do understand your situation though Aardvark. I had Ulcerative Colitis so I know you have to keep stocked up.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:33:54 PM by blue girl » Logged
TBURGESS

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »

It was on sale, and it is my normal buy level.  This is for the family and the store.  My daughter has Crohn's, so I make sure we never get close to being out, the stress is hard on her as it is...
My wife's got Crohn's. I totally understand.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2020, 11:14:05 PM »

My wife's got Crohn's. I totally understand.
sorry to hear that, my wife has mild colitis and that's bad enough.... take care

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2020, 03:52:49 AM »

TP sells out not because everyone is expecting the trots.  You need to think 2+ moves ahead.  You're not thinking second order effects.  TP sells out because it's one of the first necessities to disappear when supply chains break down.  Anyone who followed the horrific plight of Venezuelans over the past few years knows that TP became unobtainable at any price, even though they had local factories that had been nationalized.

Also, even if there's enough to go around, the TP will sell out because everyone expects it to sell out (at least the ones who figured it out in advance).  The psychology is as important as the reality.  So I see people running around screaming about all the TP hoarders and how it doesn't make sense... as they now live life without TP once their personal stocks run out.  They failed to predict second order effects.  So who's being dim here, the hoarders or the stinky-britches?

Anyone who understands game theory will instantly recognize the situation.  And don't yell at me, I'm just the messenger.  Now that it's come to pass, I don't even have to report on the reality, as everyone here knows full well what the TP reality is right now.  Curse and yell at reality all you want, it won't get you any TP!  Next up, dried beans, rice, cans, water, etc.

Stay safe!  Be prepared!  Think ahead.  Think for yourself.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2020, 06:16:52 AM »

A travel ban now solves nothing because the virus has already spread across the globe. The state of Washington has been dealing with the outbreak for a while, so what does a ban do now? And historically, travel bans don't accomplish anything. They're nothing more than knee-jerk reactions meant to obfuscate and then scare the public, fueling the fires of fear and xenophobia.

Let's see, until the (tiny number) of non-travel-related community cases showed up just the other day, every single Canada case was travel-related (a traveller or their spouse / close contact).

Here's Edmonton's news tonight:
"With all 29 [Alberta] coronavirus cases being travel related, the province is asking people returning from any international destination to self-isolate for 14 days, even if they are feeling well and not showing any symptoms."
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/6-new-coronavirus-cases-in-alberta-bringing-province-total-to-29-1.4852304

But, no, as you said, that must only be xenophobia and fear-fires and stopping flights wouldn't (have) accomplish(ed) anything.  Pffft.  Xenophobia has nothing to do with it because those who want flights stopped don't care who the person is who's flying in: they just don't want any person flying in from hotspots.  That would include Canadians!

But wait, there's more...
"Mr. Trudeau said the government will also restrict international flights coming into Canada to a smaller number of airports and bring in additional screening measures for travellers."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-avoid-non-essential-travel-outside-canada-trudeau-urges/

Hmm, that smells like it's getting close to a flight ban!  Instead of the prudent step (which is coming, I guarantee it), they'll ease you into it with advanced screening and quarantines.  Funny, as you chide the USA for banning some destinations, but Canada one-upped them by screening/quarantining all international destinations!  So Canada is more xenophobic?

"[Garneau] said cruise ships carrying more than 500 people will not be able to stop in Canada until after July 1." (ibid.)

What about that one?  Is it ok to be xenophobic against American, Canadian and European cruise travellers?  That sure sounds like a "ban" to me.  But wait, you said travel bans were ineffective?  So why is Garenau/Trudeau instituting a ban?

Instead of having a wee-wee contest as to whose country is holier, why not focus on the problem and solutions?  Stopping the main source of Canada's infections sounds prudent.  Or at least would have been before they let the cat out of the bag.  Riddle me this: what if the world had stopped all passenger flights to China (and any other infected country) the instant it was clear there was a big problem (mid January).  I guarantee you there would not even be a fraction of the case count we see right now.  But we didn't, so now we're stuck with it.  Bashing the USA helps nothing, and everything you see there is coming here in due course.

Never go full Rider!
theaardvark

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2020, 12:36:01 PM »

Apparently there isn't any shortage of product, it is just a logistics issue with re-supply, which then causes concern that there is actually a shortage...  TP manufacturers have lots... you can only get so much through the stores each day, though...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2020, 02:22:05 PM »

Techno's going all tinfoil hat again.

Just because the current infections are from folks who travelled, doesn't mean we aren't going to get our own infections like other countries before us. It's just a matter of time. Banning flying everywhere might reduce the risk, because it's not just about where you come from it's about riding in a giant tube in close proximity to infected people. Just telling people they shouldn't go on international flights without an actual ban, makes it better for company's, who don't have to repay travellers, and worse for the folks who follow the advice because they are the ones losing the money.

Banning cruise ships is easy. The companies aren't Canadian and most of them have already stopped running for 30 to 60 days anyway. Saying you can't come here when they aren't going anywhere is mostly symbolic.

It's not about stopping the spread of the disease anyway. It's now about slowing the progression so it doesn't overwhelm the medical system. There was a very interesting graph yesterday that showed the bell curve of Covid-19 unchecked and the flattened curve of slowing the progression. Then they put in the line of how many folks the Canadian medical system could accommodate and showed how much we need to reduce the speed of transmission. The question being posed was are we doing enough to slow the progression before we overwhelm the system.

We're not running out of TP. TP companies are simply making huge profits this year. Even if we did run out of TP, bidets can be added to existing toilets in 20 minutes or less. Not a perfect solution, but a pretty good one.

Update: ?Flattening the Curve? is a deadly delusion" - https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727 Interesting read saying that containment works and the curve is a lie.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:45:22 PM by TBURGESS » Logged

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2020, 03:16:22 AM »

from what I was told from an associate there, as well as reading a few reputable sources is that the incidences of it there is already going down and that it is becoming less of a threat there as the days progress, and will follow a similar pattern in all the other affected areas..most likely across the ocean to this neck of the world it won't reach the levels it did there....

I have really bad COPD.  This aint a joke to me.

I do as they say and take care of myself.

Its hard enough for me to get around at times.....  My problem and i deal with it.

But Knowing someone healthy can have this and give it to me unwillingly sorta scares me.

You maybe strong n young n healthy and not worried. But some of us are on the other side. You can pick this thing up and give it to me.

Cant jus blow it off n say its nothing.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
TecnoGenius

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2020, 07:05:17 AM »

Techno's going all tinfoil hat again.

You better believe it.  My triple-thick foil is out for this one!  Cheesy

It's not about stopping the spread of the disease anyway. It's now about slowing the progression so it doesn't overwhelm the medical system. There was a very interesting graph yesterday that showed the bell curve of Covid-19 unchecked and the flattened curve of slowing the progression. Then they put in the line of how many folks the Canadian medical system could accommodate and showed how much we need to reduce the speed of transmission. The question being posed was are we doing enough to slow the progression before we overwhelm the system.

Update: ?Flattening the Curve? is a deadly delusion" - https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727 Interesting read saying that containment works and the curve is a lie.

There's tons of info and theories out there from all sorts of sources -- maintstream, indie, alt, and downright wacky -- I read them all (as should everyone) and distil what seems most logical and plausible into my own formulation.  If you read enough you can easily spot the propaganda.  If you believe the narrative that anything outside the narrative is "conspiracy", then you aren't getting the full picture.  Proof?  Is your outlet still saying "low risk"?  Would they close the entire provincial school and U system if it was "low risk"?  Pffft.  Is your outlet still telling you it's "not aerosol"?  Pfffft.  People who read outside sources have known it was aerosol since January, and the Americans just proved it:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v2

Anyhow, I fully agree slowing the progression is important.  However, the new narrative of "nearly everyone will get it, 70%, blah blah" is quite scary, and one I wholly disagree with.  If they really have decided to abandon contain then what they are saying is that all of us with over-70 friends & family, as well as people with iffy medical conditions, are being relegated to rolling the covid dice.  If their new base case is nearly everyone will get it, then they are saying the 70-79's will play russian roulette with a 12-round gun, and the 80+'s will play with a 7-round gun.  Who knows what the pre-existing-condition under-70's odds are, but it's probably no better than the 1 in 12 odds.  From what I've heard reported here in this forum, that's at least a couple of people I read posts from every day.  I may disagree with some people here some of the time, but come the season home opener (whenever that is) I want to see every last one of you healthy and in the stands!

No, I won't accept defeatism to the covid-odds-gods.  I think not getting it is an option and that's what I'm working towards with my family.  It may be the most difficult thing I ever do.  No one should give up and resign their fate to covid-roulette.  Never give up hope!  Stay safe everyone!

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2020, 06:50:58 PM »

The USA deserves to be chided. Leadership there ignored the problem for weeks, calling it a hoax and overblown, even opting not to get testing kits for COVID-19. All that despite experts saying exactly what happened would happen. A travel ban now solves nothing because the virus has already spread across the globe. The state of Washington has been dealing with the outbreak for a while, so what does a ban do now? And historically, travel bans don't accomplish anything. They're nothing more than knee-jerk reactions meant to obfuscate and then scare the public, fueling the fires of fear and xenophobia.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  You were saying?  Still chiding the US?  Canada more pious, eh?  I guess Trudeau the Liberals and Canada are more xenophobic than Trump & the USA -- Trudeau just banned every non-US country and its dog!  I won't say I told you so... Should have done it 2 months ago.

Where are you getting your information?

Much better places than you are!  Rule of thumb, if it's on TV, it's bologna.

Stay safe everyone!!  Don't get your hopes up for any CFL games any time soon.

Never go full Rider!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2020, 01:44:30 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  You were saying?  Still chiding the US?  Canada more pious, eh?  I guess Trudeau the Liberals and Canada are more xenophobic than Trump & the USA -- Trudeau just banned every non-US country and its dog!  I won't say I told you so... Should have done it 2 months ago.

Much better places than you are!  Rule of thumb, if it's on TV, it's bologna.

Stay safe everyone!!  Don't get your hopes up for any CFL games any time soon.

The only bologna being spewed is the garbage you're posting here, ignorantly defending another country's leadership. At no point did I say the Canadian government doesn't deserve its fair share of criticism or that Canada is more pious, so maybe learn to read. I said travel bans historically accomplish nothing, especially now that community transmission of the COVID-19 virus is taking place on this continent. At least the government here didn't opt out of purchasing test kits, deny there was a problem, spead misinformation, lie to the public, and say it would get better in short order. The US still deserves to be chided based on all of that, which has literally nothing to do with the Canadian government.

You thumbing your nosed with misguided arrogance at strangers on a forum over a serious and evolving global health issue is pretty pathetic. Grow up.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: