Blue Bombers Forum
April 02, 2020, 03:21:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus threat to CFL games?  (Read 2684 times)
thurmas

« on: March 07, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »

NBA is now considering playing games in empty arenas with no fans due to cornonavirus and Europe has seen soccer games played in empty stadiums now due to it as well. I am hoping this coronavirus goes away pronto I would hate to see if it is still around in June the CFL having to consider playing games with no fans like the argos have for years?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/51780963
theaardvark

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »

With the amount of alcohol consumed, pretty sure the virus doesn't have a chance in most stadia...

I'm sure, if there is a local presence of the virus, we may see action taken.  And any "at risk" people should be taking precautions and avoiding crowds anyway...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blueraid

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »

NHL has just told the league's players to avoid contact with the fans....Precautions everywhere and I hope this thing can be under some kind of control world wide soon....It doesn't look good at present
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 03:46:31 AM »

More emphasis on hygiene at stadium would help

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 04:46:56 AM »

Not to open the can of worms, because there's politics involved... but we're more likely than not to see CFL games played to empty stadiums (like in 1st world, G7 Italy right now) or cancelled outright (IMHO).  Heck, there's serious talk of cancelling the olympics, and CFL is small potatoes compared to that.

From respected BBC, scroll down ~3 pages and look at the age/rate chart:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

Pray Winnipeg/Canada is somehow spared because if not, there's a whole lot of our Bomber STH demographic (60-80+) at risk.  Even under 60's aren't in the clear.

I don't want to be alarmist, even though it is alarming.  Take what you are told with a grain of salt.  Prepare accordingly and protect your loved ones.  I wish nothing but the best for all forum members.  Stay safe!

https://static.businessinsider.sg/2020/03/03/5e5f36d9fee23d54ca6d1ff2.png

I won't comment any further, unless possibly if it's moved to the offside forum.

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
thurmas

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »

NYSE and TSX lost 1881 and 1441 points this morning in just 1 hour of trading and have now halted trading. I have never seen anything like this in my life time. I work in business development in the trucking industry and we haul mainly steel and lumber if the market continues to crash like this I am very fearful of a major recession now.
Norm W

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 01:22:41 PM »

It is rather confusing and difficult to assess personal risk; on one hand you have the medical community saying "relax, wash your hands and cough into your sleeve... its inline with getting a common cold or the flu." Yet we have world events being canceled, borders being closed, governments taking unprecedented actions and announcing spending programs in the 10's of millions to combat something they are simultaneously saying isn't a huge concern. A completely mixed message...

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »

Cancelled sporting events or games played without fans in attendance is the least of the current issues.

Stay healthy and don't panic.

No more excuses.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »

If corona virus is still a going concern by the time the CFL season kicks off, we have a much bigger problem than a football season.
VictorRomano

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 03:49:16 PM »

I survived "The Trough" in the bathroom at the old Winnipeg Arena/Winnipeg Stadium.

Nothing can hurt me.
Jesse

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »

It is rather confusing and difficult to assess personal risk; on one hand you have the medical community saying "relax, wash your hands and cough into your sleeve... its inline with getting a common cold or the flu." Yet we have world events being canceled, borders being closed, governments taking unprecedented actions and announcing spending programs in the 10's of millions to combat something they are simultaneously saying isn't a huge concern. A completely mixed message...

These are all preventative measures to contain and stop the spread of the virus. Washing our hands on the micro-level, ******** down trips and large events on the macro.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »

I am not in the age demographic where the highest risks are. I am, however, immunocompromised and have a respiratory disease. It is a scary time. If I get COVID-19 I probably die. If you're in optimal health and a young person, this will likely have minimal impact on you. However, a healthy young person with the coronavirus can spread it to someone who is at higher risk.

The problem is that people will see this as "just a cold" and will go about their regular lives. Even Agent Orange in the White House told people that if they're sick they should still just go to work. There are enough people who would listen to that and create major problems for others. I am lucky in that my employer has told sick people to stay home. I also have the green light to stay away from work if I feel that I am at risk. I can work from home or I can access sick leave. I will not incur loss of pay.

As for large sporting events, that's an interesting conundrum. I attended the Jets/Oilers game here last week. I was nervous. I am not attending the Jets game here on Wednesday. I sanitize my own space. The public is not my friend right now. I agree with an earlier post that said that if this is still an issue by the time the CFL season starts, then it's a bigger issue than we'd fear.

There is no vaccine. There is no shot that any one can take as a preventative measure, and the only cure is time. The economic impact appears to be heading in the direction of a massive global recession. I have plenty of opinions on that topic, but I'll leave those for another space.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »

I have two employees who were in Italy, just outside of Milan, right when the outbreak hit.  I have them working from home for two weeks, because they can, and there's no point in risking it.  Of course, that's only possible for industries which allow for satellite work.  Manual labour positions obviously don't have that advantage, nor do public service positions.

blue girl

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »

I have a low white cell count and liver disease. I went to my regular dr.s appointment in a hospital last week and will return for my monthly blood work later this week. If this was really that bad I would think that I would be told to stay home. There has to be some common sense here. Wash you hands with soap and water and if you have symptoms then as a precaution stay home. Things you should be doing anyway. BTW four days later I feel fine.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 07:19:33 AM »

CfL may as well delay the season if they have to play in empty stadiums.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: