Blue Bombers Forum
August 10, 2020, 01:54:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Wade Miller Vanier Cup 2020 game avialble to host bid on it!  (Read 4069 times)
thurmas

« on: March 07, 2020, 12:35:32 AM »

Vanier Cup 2020 still does not have a home to host this year's CIS football biggest game which is a real shame in how the game has been so shabbily treated by CIS. It used to draw over 30,000 fans like the 2011 classic in Vancouver and now it only draws what 8400 in Quebec City really sad and the TV coverage or lack thereof that CIS football has now is pathetic. I urge Wade Miller and the Blue Bombers to team up with the Manitoba Bisons and host this game at IG field as it is very cheap to get the game rights and would be great for Manitoba and Western Canada to host a Vanier Cup.

https://3downnation.com/2020/03/05/v...-home-in-2020/
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 04:06:35 AM »

An idea worth exploring.  Don't know what the financial implications are but CIS football can be very decent entertainment.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 04:29:32 AM »

hope it happens

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
DM83

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 05:38:45 AM »

Bad idea.  Far,too,cold
blue_or_die

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 01:17:22 PM »

In 2007 when the Bisons won, they did the Vanier cup on the Saturday before the Grey Cup game in the same city, using the same broadcasting equipment that they needed to set up anyway. I thought it was a great idea and it was a huge success.

Not sure why this isn't the obvious model they follow. CIS is literally the farm league for Canadians in the CFL and so a tight relationship and some backing makes sense. I would love to see a partnership between CIS, CFL and TSN, at the very least to couple the cup game on the same weekend in the same city, integrating with the grey cup festival. They can package tickets for both games together, too.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:18:56 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 02:38:20 PM »

I remember the 2011 game in Vancouver. It was a very entertaining game and part of the Grey Cup experience. While I understand the cold aspect of playing in many Grey Cup cities, I like the idea of playing in the same city on Saturday.

If fans in a Grey Cup game city are going to shy away from cold, what does that say about support for Canadian players?  Isn't that the goal? Isn't that why we retain the ratio?

It's easier for me to say living in a city with a covered stadium. However I think it's important to send out the fans in whatever city the game is played, cold / snow or rain.

Conversely, if that isn't the model at the moment I'd be in favor of the game in Winnipeg in 2020.

Attendance in 2016 was 7115 and only 10754 in 2017. Decoupling from same city as Grey Cup caused massive decline in attendance and viewership.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:44:39 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
winbear

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 05:39:33 PM »

Bad idea.  Far,too,cold
Didn't stop fans showing up for an outside hockey game held at a colder time of year.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »

I think it would be a really tough sell. Cold weather. A game featuring (probably) two teams with absolutely no connection to the community. I certainly wouldn't want to try marketing that. It's hard enough getting people to Bombers games in October and November.
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 06:58:37 PM »

I think it would be a really tough sell. Cold weather. A game featuring (probably) two teams with absolutely no connection to the community. I certainly wouldn't want to try marketing that. It's hard enough getting people to Bombers games in October and November.

Either fans are invested in Canadian players or not IMO. Yes it's going to be a tough sell. College games don't generate large attendance at the best of times even for local teams.

Grey Cup games don't necessarily have much direct connection to the community either.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »

Either fans are invested in Canadian players or not IMO. Yes it's going to be a tough sell. College games don't generate large attendance at the best of times even for local teams.

That's the conundrum, in most places University football isn't popular enough in Canada for fans to bother to attend games or care about the championship, so what's the point of it?  How long before these institutions follow the lead through to it's conclusion and do away with their football programs as a cost cutting measure.  The protest would be minimal. 
Waffler

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 08:39:58 PM »

I'd like to see it. The media would have to pump it up well ahead of time as the "average" CFL fan knows little of University football. Any idea what ticket prices would be? Much better idea than a preseason NFL game anyway. 

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 09:23:04 PM »

That's the conundrum, in most places University football isn't popular enough in Canada for fans to bother to attend games or care about the championship, so what's the point of it?  How long before these institutions follow the lead through to it's conclusion and do away with their football programs as a cost cutting measure.  The protest would be minimal. 

True enough. I enjoy the play off games when they are televised but that's a small sample size. Without more games being broadcast it's difficult to get any significant interest and that's a shame.

It's obviously not cost effective and that's the root cause.

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 12:13:48 AM »

I'd like to get coverage of USport games. To tell you the truth I couldn't even tell you when The Bisons play. I think it says a lot that it is still being referred to as CIS when it's been USports for a few years now.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 05:09:30 AM »

I'd like to see it. The media would have to pump it up well ahead of time as the "average" CFL fan knows little of University football. Any idea what ticket prices would be? Much better idea than a preseason NFL game anyway

Hah!  No kidding.

I'd go to a Vanier at IGF, and I know nothing whatsoever about U football.

Never go full Rider!
DM83

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 05:30:20 AM »

Attending the vanier at Toronto, watching the. Oys win was outstanding. I got a room overlooking the field, for the weekend.  Our group watched from my room, and later joined many alumni and. Coaches and players in the Skydime lounge for post game celebration.

Grey Cup day many friends again joined us in the suite, and watched the Grey Cup game.
Now that was a way to watch a Grey Cup!

My preference. Would be to join the two events.  A Saturday afternoon game is. Kind of a lull in the partying type time period.taking in the game, sobering up,,with more football is a potential perfect cure.

This would only be. Feasible in an Indoor facility.  No one would wantsbtomsta or stand outside in freezing temperature hung-over.  That would literally be dangerous
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: