Blue Bombers Forum
September 28, 2020, 04:30:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Current roster  (Read 1104 times)
Blue In BC

« on: March 07, 2020, 06:54:06 PM »

Rough count of what shows on the roster page:

1. 82 players
2. 26 Canadians
3. 21 DB's
4. 12 DL
5. 13 LB's
6. 14 OL
7. 15 WR's

Note a few categories not listed / broken down. Just a quick overview of today. 1st free agent camp is today IIRC. Roster will change dynamically as new players are found and others deleted.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 07:00:57 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:49:15 AM »

Rough count of what shows on the roster page:

3. 21 DB's

!!!!  Now that's nuts.  Those guys are all going to groan in unison if Rose or Sayles suddenly announces they are coming back!  Grin Wink

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 02:02:36 PM »

It's quite normal to have large numbers of receivers and DB's at TC. It's necessary for QB's to run passing drills and not be waiting around for them to return from downfield.

It's also easier to find a gem or 2 in large numbers being tested. They represent the largest number of players on either side of the ball on he field. Teams look for skill and versatility etc.

Many of the back ups will be Nationals and the classification is almost arbitrary.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 03:18:48 PM »

There are only about 57 CFL free agents remaining. Of those a dozen or so probably retire. Another dozen or so will never play another game in the CFL.

I wonder if the Bombers have any interest in Adam Berger, Anthony Thompson, Jesse Joseph or Ese Mrabure to fill some National depth at DB and DL.

I was interested in Joseph last year and am a bit surprised he hasn't signed somewhere yet??

Age, SMS and injuries are factors for some of the remaining free agents. Some may not get the call until teams experience longer term injuries on their rosters.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 04:33:11 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »

I love having a million DB's coming to camp.  The CFL game, with the wide open field and the waggle means that DB's have to adapt to very different conditions here, and for some, it may be a lot easier than others, and for some, it may be an opportunity to shine if the game fits their unique skill set...

I wonder who the DB will  be this year that catches MOS's eye, that "steals" reps... and fights that little bit harder...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 04:33:10 PM »

There are only about 57 CFL free agents remaining. Of those a dozen or so probably retire. Another dozen or so will never play another game in the CFL.

I wonder if the Bombers have any interest in Adam Berger, Anthony Thompson, Jesse Joseph or Ese Mrabure to fill some National depth at DB and DL.

I was interested in Joseph last year and am a bit surprised he hasn't signed somewhere yet??

Ian Wild has probably reached the end of his career and might choose to sign a one day contract to retire as a Bomber.  Life isn't fair, some players toil for 6-8 years with the same club without ever winning a G.C. like Wild, others like Maston jump on board at precisely the right time and are awarded with a ring after a couple of months.
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 04:34:49 PM »

Ian Wild has probably reached the end of his career and might choose to sign a one day contract to retire as a Bomber.  Life isn't fair, some players toil for 6-8 years with the same club without ever winning a G.C. like Wild, others like Maston jump on board at precisely the right time and are awarded with a ring after a couple of months.

Players like Wild might not get an invite to any TC. Age, SMS and injury history take their toll. He might be the kind of player that gets added late in the season when a team needs to beef up their roster for a play off run.

No more excuses.
Jockitch

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 05:15:20 PM »

Noted that Wild, age 29 now, led the Argos in total tackles with 72 in just 12 games, plus chipping in with 15 SpeciaL team tackles.
He wasn't dressing for the latter games of the year, perhaps due to there season being a mess & wanting to get new faces in,  but he certainly is a terrific competitor

Roster wise we definitely need Nationals otherwise where is the depth of compete & injury situations..

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE
theaardvark

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 05:27:26 PM »

I like Wild in the fact that he is a good LS.  Tough in the CFL to use up a DI on your LS,  but he is enough of a Swiss Army Knife to have value in the CFL.  It just comes down to if he wants to play for the salary that role commands... As a late season callup, he's a great option, and probably gets more value with less wear and tear...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
the paw

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »

Age, SMS and injuries are factors for some of the remaining free agents. Some may not get the call until teams experience longer term injuries on their rosters.

I don't think we will sign anyone on that list, even though there are still a few decent names.  If Walker dropped price, we would probably dump someone to bring him on, but otherwise I think our budget is committed.  I'm surprised Tasked and Mike Jones haven't signed anywhere yet.

I was high on Jesse Joseph, and was surprised Montreal let him go.  But after his year in Edmonton and at age 31, I suspect he may be done.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue72

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »

How would Wild fit in as a d coach as we are one short at the time being, he knows the system plus in case of injuries could always step in.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »

How would Wild fit in as a d coach as we are one short at the time being, he knows the system plus in case of injuries could always step in.

As far as I can recall Wild had a career lined up in financial services 3 years ago when he was first considering retirement, surprised he hasn't followed through.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 11:23:30 PM »

I'm surprised Tasked and Mike Jones haven't signed anywhere yet.

HAM has their scapegoats.  Tasker and Jones have been sacrificed -- BURN THE WITCHES! -- as the HAM fans say.  It's funny, if they should burn anyone it's the OL, the DL, the LBs and the coaches who were grossly insouciant and cavalier.

One of the iconic GC images that I'll never forget is the shot of HAM's J.Davis dancing on field at 1Q8:25 while waiting for the snap after a FG.  I think we had gotten 2 turnovers and the score was 7-3 at that point, and he's dancing.  I think coach O preached "have fun" a little too much.  You don't "have fun" at the GC by dancing and acting goofy... you have fun by slaughtering the opponent, like WPG did.  HAM didn't take it seriously enough, and suffered as a result.

Never go full Rider!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 12:05:34 AM »

HAM has their scapegoats.  Tasker and Jones have been sacrificed -- BURN THE WITCHES! -- as the HAM fans say.  It's funny, if they should burn anyone it's the OL, the DL, the LBs and the coaches who were grossly insouciant and cavalier.

One of the iconic GC images that I'll never forget is the shot of HAM's J.Davis dancing on field at 1Q8:25 while waiting for the snap after a FG.  I think we had gotten 2 turnovers and the score was 7-3 at that point, and he's dancing.  I think coach O preached "have fun" a little too much.  You don't "have fun" at the GC by dancing and acting goofy... you have fun by slaughtering the opponent, like WPG did.  HAM didn't take it seriously enough, and suffered as a result.

insouciant??   Being a scrabble geek, I've never ever actually used that word in a sentence, albeit I know what it means and yes I agree, they took a rather nonchalant approach at times.   

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: