Blue Bombers Forum
September 28, 2020, 04:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers add two to roster - February 28, 2020  (Read 3433 times)
GCn19

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 04:05:41 PM »

It looks like they have given up on Rios, I think that's a mistake as he has the potential and athletic tools to become a solid DB once he gets past the rookie mistake phase.  I expect him to re-emerge elsewhere this season.

I don't think they gave up on Rios. He just got beat out.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 09:11:41 PM »

I don't think they gave up on Rios. He just got beat out.

Rios had those 2 games (including the horrible MTL comeback) where his brain completely malfunctioned at key times.  I broke down those plays ad nauseum at the time.  Right after that MOS/Hall benched him.

He seems to have the physical talent (that great INT for instance), but may not have the upstairs power he requires in Hall's complex D.  And since upstairs deficiencies can't generally be fixed, I bet he's out after TC.  If I'm wrong, and they were just transient brain farts, and we do keep him, then he could possibly improve in his 2nd year.

I think the MOS/Lapo/Hall schemes require a smarter than average player.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »

Rios had those 2 games (including the horrible MTL comeback) where his brain completely malfunctioned at key times.  I broke down those plays ad nauseum at the time.  Right after that MOS/Hall benched him.

He seems to have the physical talent (that great INT for instance), but may not have the upstairs power he requires in Hall's complex D.  And since upstairs deficiencies can't generally be fixed, I bet he's out after TC.  If I'm wrong, and they were just transient brain farts, and we do keep him, then he could possibly improve in his 2nd year.

I think the MOS/Lapo/Hall schemes require a smarter than average player.

Rios was on the PR at the end of the season, so he's already gone.  Doesn't mean they couldn't invite him back if they wanted to though.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 08:31:43 AM »

Rios was on the PR at the end of the season, so he's already gone.  Doesn't mean they couldn't invite him back if they wanted to though.

Good point, I forgot that.  Hey, do any of those PR guys get a ring?  Rios started quite a few games for us (10) -- possibly more than Nichols?

Wouldn't it be a bit weird if we give a ring to "Gaitor the Traitor" (ending on the 1GIL if Wikipedia is to be trusted) -- excuse my liberties with the label, it was hard to find a rhyme -- after he abandoned us over his demotion, but not Rios?

And how on earth did Gaitor end on the 1 game?  When he was sent packing, couldn't we have put him on the PR or even suspended him from the roster completely?  I guess that means he was still getting a cheque all the way through the GC win... maybe even the playoff bonus money?!?  AND costing us SMS space because we didn't 6-game him?  Wacky!

Hey, this is weird, Gaitor's stats have been wiped from clf.ca/players stats area like he never existed.  That's odd!  Did he get banished from the CFL completely?  I knew things were real sour Gaitor v WFC, but I didn't know he did something to warrant banishment and memory-holing from the entire league!

Did some googling and can't find any mention of Gaitor in any league beyond November.  Looks like we'll never see him north of the border again.  Don't mess with The Canadian Mafia is the moral of the story, I guess!  I bet there's a lot more to the story, and I bet it's juicy... too bad we don't have the inside scoop.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »

Good point, I forgot that.  Hey, do any of those PR guys get a ring?  Rios started quite a few games for us (10) -- possibly more than Nichols?

Wouldn't it be a bit weird if we give a ring to "Gaitor the Traitor" (ending on the 1GIL if Wikipedia is to be trusted) -- excuse my liberties with the label, it was hard to find a rhyme -- after he abandoned us over his demotion, but not Rios?

And how on earth did Gaitor end on the 1 game?  When he was sent packing, couldn't we have put him on the PR or even suspended him from the roster completely?  I guess that means he was still getting a cheque all the way through the GC win... maybe even the playoff bonus money?!?  AND costing us SMS space because we didn't 6-game him?  Wacky!

Hey, this is weird, Gaitor's stats have been wiped from clf.ca/players stats area like he never existed.  That's odd!  Did he get banished from the CFL completely?  I knew things were real sour Gaitor v WFC, but I didn't know he did something to warrant banishment and memory-holing from the entire league!

Did some googling and can't find any mention of Gaitor in any league beyond November.  Looks like we'll never see him north of the border again.  Don't mess with The Canadian Mafia is the moral of the story, I guess!  I bet there's a lot more to the story, and I bet it's juicy... too bad we don't have the inside scoop.

Gaitor was a veteran and the CBA might not have allowed him to be released outright without a fight. To that end he was placed on the 1 game IR. While I don't think that is fair it may have been a a better PR move by the organization.

I suspect he'll get a GC ring as a result. Keep in mind it was his 2nd season with the team.

EDIT: His stats do show in both team and CFL.CA when you switch to 2019 stats. He had 34 DT's.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:00:56 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »

Gaitor was a veteran and the CBA might not have allowed him to be released outright without a fight. To that end he was placed on the 1 game IR. While I don't think that is fair it may have been a a better PR move by the organization.

I suspect he'll get a GC ring as a result. Keep in mind it was his 2nd season with the team.

EDIT: His stats do show in both team and CFL.CA when you switch to 2019 stats. He had 34 DT's.

We could have released him but then you set a dangerous precedent.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »

We could have released him but then you set a dangerous precedent.

He was in his 4th season so past the vet cut down date. So in theory we'd be paying him. Putting him on the 1 game IR may have been done to prevent him from going to another team in 2019? A suspension was in order but I'm not familiar with the criteria in supporting that decision.

Either way it was a dangerous precedent.

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 10:18:38 PM »

According to the CBA, any player on the roster or injured list for the playoffs is entitled to both playoff money and a Grey Cup ring.  Practice roster, not so much.

Gaitor, as a 4 year veteran, would be guaranteed his regular season pay, bonuses and playoff money if released after cut down day.

I believe that players released after the regular season is over cannot sign with another club for the playoffs.  I can't put my finger on the clause in the CBA, but it might be in the league bylaws instead.  I recall looking it up before though.

So I don't think there would be any precedent set as such, but had they released Gaitor before game 18, he could have signed with another club.  Since they had to pay him anyway, might as well tie him up.

It is common for released players to disappear from the cfl.ca database, or at least from the search function, until they sign with another team.  Its a glitch, and a real pain in the butt.

grab grass 'n growl
TecnoGenius

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2020, 04:25:00 AM »

Can you send me the link to the cfl.ca page for Gaitor?  I still can't find him!?  How do I "switch to 2019 stats"?  Thanks!!

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »

Can you send me the link to the cfl.ca page for Gaitor?  I still can't find him!?  How do I "switch to 2019 stats"?  Thanks!!

Just go to stats, league leaders and it already comes up with 2019 stats. Gaitor had 34 DT's. However at this point does it really matter?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:45:03 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »

Just go to stats, league leaders and it already comes up with 2019 stats. Gaitor had 34 DT's. However at this point does it really matter?

Oh I see it now... you guys are talking about the big list pages.  Yes, Gaitor is in there.  But click on his name... it goes to "page not found"

https://www.cfl.ca/players/anthony-gaitor/160884/

For fun I clicked on the top-200 D players in that 2019 stats list and every single player except 3 come up with an individual stats page.  The 3 that don't are:

Gaitor
De-Chavon Hayes https://www.cfl.ca/players/de-chavon-hayes/163755/
Mike Jones#16 https://www.cfl.ca/players/mike-jones/164827/

Jones hasn't worked all year because of the name conflict with HAM.  I'm assuming that's a cfl site bug.  I used to try checking mid/late season and it was broken then too.

I can't explain Hayes' problem.  He seems to still be on OTT's roster.  Maybe it's because his name has an apostrophe in it (another site bug).

But Gaitor... there's no reason his page should be broken.  His name has nothing weird about it, and it's not duplicated.  He's just... gone.

As for mattering... why does something have to "matter" to you for it to make me curious?  In fact, why does it have to matter to me either for me to be curious?  Things that make me go hmmmm make me go hmmmmm.  3 players with broken pages out of 200, and one because of an obvious duplication bug.  So 2 that are difficult to explain, and 1 just happens to be the guy who crossed The Mafia the wrong way... Maybe Gaitor sleeps with the fishes!  Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Shocked  Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: