Blue Bombers Forum
May 31, 2020, 07:43:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the Bombers draft Marc Liegghio  (Read 2412 times)
Tiger

« on: March 04, 2020, 02:08:18 AM »

He seems to be an under appreciated canadian kicker that may be worth a dice roll if you could pick him up in the third or later round.  I am thinking secession planning for Medlock. Thoughts?

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:08:05 AM »

Medlock 36, will turn 37 during the season.  But no reason he can't play until 40.  Didn't McCallum go even older?  How old is Mr. Rouge in SSK?  50?

But, yes, a promising young NAT kicker could come in handy.  However, don't these guys usually start meh then leave their draft team once they are good?  Why develop them just for the other team to benefit?  Isn't it better to let someone else do all the work and hire them afterwards?

Is this kid any good?

Never go full Rider!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:21:53 AM »

Medlock will do just fine...  Medlock looks like he is in his twenties..
DM83

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 10:10:23 AM »

Huh?
Medlock is the best kicker in the logical free world.
GCn19

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:10:04 PM »

Medlock is a fantastic kicker but we also need to remember he came within a hair of retiring prior to the 2018 season.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »

There's logic in the life after Medlock angle but drafting kickers is tough because it can be hard to roster/retain them after TC. Practice roster possibly but it's hard to roster them if someone else comes knocking. 6-game is an option but then they're not practicing with the team.
the paw

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 04:59:12 PM »

There are 7 Global kickers coming to the Combine.  If ever there was a position where a global could actually contribute, kicker seems tailor-made.

If we have to dress a second global player this year in addition to Panzer Boi, I would be happy for it to be a global that we can try out and make a succession plan for Medlock.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »

A global kicker is not a bad development player. OTOH it does nothing in 2020 to create global interest with another player just not seeing the field.

I'm for it but Ambosie's goal is global viewership. A bunch of players ( now 2 on the AR ) not actively adding obvious value is a tough sell to that idea.

I've laughing suggested / asked whether A. Calvillo has a nephew that can play QB that we can draft as a global # 3.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 09:43:12 PM »

I've laughing suggested / asked whether A. Calvillo has a nephew that can play QB that we can draft as a global # 3.

I'm all for that idea!  Grin  However, isn't Calvillo & family American, not Mexican (in terms of roster pigeon-holing, not ethnicity)?

GLOB QB!  GLOB QB!  GLOB QB!

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 10:52:57 PM »

I'm all for that idea!  Grin  However, isn't Calvillo & family American, not Mexican (in terms of roster pigeon-holing, not ethnicity)?

GLOB QB!  GLOB QB!  GLOB QB!

Yes he was born in California but his heritage is Mexican. I'm sure he has some family still in Mexico.

It was just an interesting thought. OTOH I'll probably be surprised if ANY global QB's are even on the draft list. But you never know.

No more excuses.
Tiger

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 12:25:33 AM »

Medlock is a fantastic kicker but we also need to remember he came within a hair of retiring prior to the 2018 season.

Exactly what I was thinking. I am a huge fan and think he is the best kicker to have played in the CFL.  He is still great and has more years to play if he wants to.  His wife was on the LPGA until she had difficulties with Lupus.  They now have a family and seem to be living in Florida (judging by his SUVs plates as I seem to park next to him every game).  He went to UCLA, is very intelligent and has connections which means he has options. 

Last January Medlock agreed to a two year contract.  He is well paid and in my opinion worth every penny.  He has been ?money? in the bank.  I never worry about our kicking game.  Does he have bad kicks or sometimes a bad run.  Sure but his bad is still good for many, he is a consummate professional and I know it will be short.

Instead of responding to each I?ll address all points.

The part about developing and rationing is a good one.  We all remember Paredes. 

I thought we need to be ready for life without Medlock.  While he can play for quite a few more years he may not, depending on post football plans. This canadian kid Liegghio is undervalued. Further I thought if we had a protege he could learn from Medlock. It could also give Medlock experience in coaching which may assist him depending on post football plans.

That said, picking up an international player with potential is really brilliant.  Further Medlock is a former soccer player, a lefty, a perfectionist, and professional that could really assist someone like this.  I have been convinced by the gang, if there is an international there is less cost and risk.  It makes a lot of sense.  I know people are thinking soccer player, but I am also thinking Australian Rules Football player as a punter given their game of essentially ?kicking rugby.?  They are also excellent at ball placement.

Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 02:39:48 AM »

Pass we have best kicker ever

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
kkc60

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 01:15:37 PM »

Sure. Have him sit behind Medlock and then potentially get an extra DI spot in a couple seasons
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »

Pass we have best kicker ever

Right, and I'm sure Medlock plans to play forever, so no need to consider the future.
Tiger

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »

Count 4 Australian kickers the CFL is inviting

Bo Jackson

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: