Blue Bombers Forum
August 13, 2022, 11:52:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quan Bray Arrested for 150 lbs of Weed  (Read 8120 times)
BlueInCgy

« on: February 20, 2020, 02:08:19 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/19/nfl-ol-greg-robinson-alouettes-receiver-quan-bray-arrested-with-157-pounds-of-marijuana-report/

Guess the Als will be looking for another receiver.

Any bets that the Uber driver was actually Duron Carter?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:30:53 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 02:35:36 PM »

Hahah... they put 157 pounds of marijuana in duffle bags and threw them in the back seat figuring no one would possibly figure that out.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »

Ok, so in Canada we view Marijauna possession as a minor crime...but dude 157lbs across a US/Mexican border in a rental vehicle....That's not going to end well for them even if it was only marijuana
BlueInCgy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:43:52 PM »

Ok, so in Canada we view Marijauna possession as a minor crime...but dude 157lbs across a US/Mexican border in a rental vehicle....That's not going to end well for them even if it was only marijuana

Pretty sure 157 lbs in Canada is still a crime.  Personal limit is, what, 30 grams?  454 grams in a lb, so a pound of weeded is 15X the legal limit in Canada, multiply that by 157, carry the 1, 2,355X the legal limit.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

EDIT - Sheesh, just went and looked up what the actual penalties are in Canada for transporting cannabis across the border.  Up to 14 years in jail.  There's a reason why I have dedicated travel luggage....can't accidently forget stuff in a bag if you never use it for anything else.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:47:07 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
Sec227

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 02:59:50 PM »

It's even crazier that the guy he was caught with. Played with Browns last year. Had a real decent contract made 5 mil last year. Makes you really think *** do it??..Whats 150lbs of weed really worth?
3rdand1.5

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 03:16:06 PM »

It's even crazier that the guy he was caught with. Played with Browns last year. Had a real decent contract made 5 mil last year. Makes you really think *** do it??..Whats 150lbs of weed really worth?

If you can sell it for $10/g (453.9g per lb X 157lb = 71,262.3g) so 71,262.3 x $10 =$712,623.00. Some areas of the states it can go higher, if you got $15/g it would be worth over $1,000,000.00 (street value) and the state will make a point to value it at street value, so I would assume in the state's eyes they were transporting over a million dollars of illegal drugs across a border with the intent to distribute. This would considered a "big drug bust"
blue_or_die

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »

If you can sell it for $10/g (453.9g per lb X 157lb = 71,262.3g) so 71,262.3 x $10 =$712,623.00. Some areas of the states it can go higher, if you got $15/g it would be worth over $1,000,000.00 (street value) and the state will make a point to value it at street value, so I would assume in the state's eyes they were transporting over a million dollars of illegal drugs across a border with the intent to distribute. This would considered a "big drug bust"

Even then, they would just be cogs in the scheme, meaning they would garner a fraction of the street value as the mules (divided by 2). Even with a CFL salary it's not worth it, risk aside. For a miliionaire NFL player? Dude.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
VictorRomano

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »

CNN reported that the kid from the Browns was no longer under contract, and was told by the Browns last year they would not be bringing him back.

CNN also reported that they were driving from LA to Louisiana, and were pulled over near the US border with Mexico - they were never actually in Mexico, and were not intending to cross the border.  The CNN article further mentioned that a drug dog triggered on the back of the SUV they were driving.  CNN also reported that there was a third person in the vehicle that was not charged, and that these 2 clowns tried to get the third person to take the fall (which the third person refused).  Finally, CNN reported that while they were being questioned, the kid from the Browns received a text message from an entity labelled "Indoor Grow House" lol.

Also, consider this - these guys would have had to buy the weed in the first place, and I doubt they're getting much more $10/gram on the street, so realistically, they were only going to profit a few hundred grand, and then have to split it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:01:38 PM by VictorRomano » Logged
BlueInCgy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 04:12:04 PM »

Yeah, it gets confusing with the US Border Patrol services being involved.  That's federal jurisdiction.

Needless to say, they're equally screwed however you slice it.  Once they cross the state line (California/Arizona/New Mexico/Texas), it becomes a federal crime.

Looking at the map, while that may have been the shortest route, it was definitely the dumbest route.  Why you wouldn't choose to go through New Mexico and Oklahoma, set your cruise control for the speed limit, and crank up the tunes is beyond me.  It's literally 50 miles more, and there's not likely to be any Border Control agents anywhere in the vicinity.

Here's a little writeup on where he got caught.  Guess it's not exactly a secret place....

It's called the Checkpoint of No Return.
"The dog?s name was Blackie, and I knew right away she was trouble. I had two beautiful marijuana buds in a plastic vial in my shaving kit inside a suitcase in the trunk of the car?and the nosey mutt sniffed them out from ten feet away. She promptly squatted, the signal to her handler that the vehicle smelled suspicious. He nodded to the Border Patrol agent standing beside my car, a stern young man in crisp green fatigues, who put his hand on his sidearm, opened my door, and said the words you never want to hear: ?Please get out of the car, sir.?

I sighed and got out. Several agents surrounded my car and popped the trunk. I watched helplessly as Blackie jumped in and ferreted out my little stash faster than I could have gotten to it myself. One of the agents held up the plastic vial, and another made a gesture like a football referee signaling a personal foul. The agent beside me tapped my elbow and said, ?Come with me, sir.?

It was your basic pothead screwup. I was at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection inspection station on Interstate 10 near Sierra Blanca, a nearly invisible town about two thirds of the way from El Paso to Van Horn. The station has been there since 1974, stopping everyone traveling east on the transcontinental highway. I had passed through it many times over the years without any problems, and that made me careless last summer. I should have known better.

Willie Nelson put the Sierra Blanca checkpoint on the map when he was busted there in November 2010, and touring musicians have been following his lead ever since. Snoop Dogg (a.k.a. Snoop Lion), Fiona Apple, Nelly, Armie Hammer (the actor who plays the new Lone Ranger)?all made news after their vehicles were searched at the checkpoint and dope was discovered. Last year the Hollywood Reporter called it ?the checkpoint of no return.? The Internet is full of dire warnings about the place, directions to back roads that avoid it, and videos showing the real-time experience of passing through the checkpoint successfully, which is best achieved by not having pot in the trunk of your car." Al Reinert
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:34:21 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 04:21:54 PM »

This is how the cops will add it up and what they will be charged with but i highly doubt they were going to sell it by the gram.

My guess is they would be making around 300 grand.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 04:52:06 PM »

Had a friend of a friend get busted with a number of pounds or pot 30 years ago, and they wanted to charge him with distribution. He claimed it was personal use, and had a number of witnesses and even a cop testify that he did consume enough that this was a reasonable amount for personal use...  and he got the charges reduced.

157 lbs?  I'm thinking that might be a stretch even for Carter to claim was personal use...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »

Hahaha...  rich.  So do the Als lose any signing bonus / roster bonus towards the SMS they gave this guy already?  So much for Bray.  Pity: he was probably their best WR after Posey left.  Maybe VAJ should go visit Bray in prison and swing a helmet at him for being so stupid?

Notice how these things (almost) never happen with MOS's crew...

Never go full Rider!
Jesse

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 07:51:58 PM »

Hahaha...  rich.  So do the Als lose any signing bonus / roster bonus towards the SMS they gave this guy already?  So much for Bray.  Pity: he was probably their best WR after Posey left.  Maybe VAJ should go visit Bray in prison and swing a helmet at him for being so stupid?

No bonus money. He's on a minimum salary with no off season bonuses. They can cut him loose no problem.

My wife is amazing!
GCn19

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 08:05:53 PM »

No bonus money. He's on a minimum salary with no off season bonuses. They can cut him loose no problem.

Some guys have roster bonuses built into their 2nd year, it wouldn't be much though. Actually most guys have a Feb 1 roster bonus even rookies. Football players are notoriously bad money handlers so they usually ask for an upfront in the 2nd year which is a reasonable ask. As a rookie it's likely in the 5-10k range though.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:08:14 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 08:09:16 PM »

Knock on wood. We have our share of players with checkered pasts too, every team does...it's a big part of the reason some of these guys end up in the CFL and not the NFL. CFL teams roll the dice on past behavior a lot. In cases like this it backfires.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:10:51 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: