Blue Bombers Forum
August 13, 2020, 10:47:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "I already know it's a good decision"  (Read 1010 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: February 17, 2020, 09:56:20 PM »

"I already know it's a good decision" | Johnson looking to make Winnipeg his football home - Ed Tait

Josh Johnson had choices, and when a guy enters Canadian Football League free agency, the importance of that can't be overstated.

After all, a constantly ringing cell phone and an inbox full of messages sure as heck beats the alternative.

Yet Johnson - the veteran defensive back who signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers last week in what is being hailed across the league as a sneaky-good addition - also knew there was much more to being a free agent than simply the financial component.

It's about that, absolutely. But it's also about fit in a scheme and about familiarity with new teammates. And in the specific case of Johnson and his new team, it's about the positive reputation the Bombers have built over the last few years.

"I had a few offers... I was talking with Calgary, with Winnipeg and still in contact with Edmonton," said Johnson in a conversation from his offseason base in Florida. "But talking to different guys around the league and the guys who play in Winnipeg and they were all talking about the organization and how it changes you as a player, about how much they loved playing there.

"I know they have a great coach and playing against Coach O'Shea and seeing how he coaches makes you want to play for him. Being a small league you hear so many different stories about playing for different teams. A lot of it is from coaches and when you are around guys who understand the game it makes you want to be a part of it. Talking to so many guys, it had me stuck on coming to Winnipeg.

"Plus," Johnson added with a chuckle, "I already know it's a good decision because I've had so many people welcome me to Winnipeg. It's really been ridiculous the response from fans, different players and they're all telling me I'm going to love being there."

The Bombers' secondary will once again be undergoing a makeover this offseason, having lost Winston Rose to the Cincinnati Bengals and Marcus Sayles to the Minnesota Vikings. That made landing a veteran like Johnson paramount in helping fill those vacancies.

The 29-year-old Purdue product started 17 games for the Eskimos last season at both cornerback and halfback and has 64 starts in his four seasons in the CFL with B.C., Ottawa, Hamilton and Edmonton.

He's an excellent communicator as well, as evidenced last season when he was one of the Eskimo defenders mic'd up by TSN for a game against the Stampeders and could be heard calling out the plays before they happened and helping teammates make the same read.

It's that skill, combined with his physical skillset, which made him a popular name when CFL free agency opened.

A couple of facts behind that...

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 10:30:52 PM »

It's a good thing we have going in the Peg with MOS and Walters.....this story really confirms this plus the signing of WJ after being wooed by both Pinball and Orlando.   It speaks volumes for the organization built by these two who never ever wavered from their collective vision of building a new culture of winning football!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:46:05 PM »

Hope he is a gamer! The amount of sliding around the league is a concern but hope he can make plays and not get burned regularly.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 10:47:34 PM »

It's a good thing we have going in the Peg with MOS and Walters.....this story really confirms this plus the signing of WJ after being wooed by both Pinball and Orlando.   It speaks volumes for the organization built by these two who never ever wavered from their collective vision of building a new culture of winning football!
yup it is real nice to have the consistent structure now. It is what I aways dreamed he would have again for the club. For many years it seemed we would never get this continuity.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 10:53:49 PM »

#1d coming up

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 04:00:16 AM »

Team mates already looking forward to his arrival

Adam Bighill@Bighill44

Can?t wait line up again with my guy @jjohnson28FLA
 he?s a playmaker, keep an eye on him! #4TheW

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 05:26:38 PM »

Good to know Defensive players want to come here.
theaardvark

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »

Good to know Defensive players want to come here too.

Fixed it for ya Wink

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
DM83

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 04:22:54 AM »

Wow!

Yup it's almost like we can't lose! On paper this is almost shaping up as competitive, tough skilled team.
Where did Daniels go?
If we get Walker, that would convince me we would have no reason to not score a ton of points. Coupled with a shut down defence, on paper it's shaping up like scores of "a lot" for the Bombers, and "a little" for the other guys.

Of course you don't win the cup in Feb.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: