Blue Bombers Forum
February 27, 2020, 03:45:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Touch of Realism  (Read 1455 times)
booch

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2020, 08:34:03 PM »

Fully agree on all points.

At this point, my only real concern on D is the 2 open spots in the secondary. It appears the BB have a high level of confidence in Mike Jones filling 1 spot, but a question mark currently fills the other...which I assume is FCB.

That said, there is some intriguing DB prospects...Boynton & McDougal being 2 of them.

Don't forget 6'4" Lyles either...he also has experience with 7 games in the CFL ...could be a legit option...ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day..39' vertical and a 11' broad jump..be a tough guy to beat and win any jump balls on the boundary corner..and corner is his natural position from college
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:54:14 PM by booch » Logged
Ladybug

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »

Quite likely, the Bombers would not have won the cup without Streveler's increased involvement as the year went on.
I don't believe either Collaros or Nichols would have won the Cup if Strev was only getting the limited reps that he was seeing before the Nichols injury.
It won't surprise me if we see a Streveler type guy at training camp this year.
Nic16

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:38 PM »

Don't forget 6'4" Lyles either...he also has experience in the  7 games CFL experience...could be a legit option...ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day..39' vertical and a 11' broad jump..be a tough guy to beat and win any jump balls on the boundary corner..and corner is his natural position from college

Yes...I knew there was another intriguing CB prospect I was forgetting.
bomb squad

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »

/
Quite likely, the Bombers would not have won the cup without Streveler's increased involvement as the year went on.
I don't believe either Collaros or Nichols would have won the Cup if Strev was only getting the limited reps that he was seeing before the Nichols injury.
It won't surprise me if we see a Streveler type guy at training camp this year.

I think every team will be looking for that type of guy now.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2020, 08:57:38 PM »

Don't forget 6'4" Lyles either...he also has experience with 7 games in the CFL ...could be a legit option...ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day..39' vertical and a 11' broad jump..be a tough guy to beat and win any jump balls on the boundary corner..and corner is his natural position from college

Do you know more about him? I'm always a little suspicious of tall DBs with good measurables because those guys often get extended NFL looks. Why didn't he?
the paw

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2020, 09:08:10 PM »

Do you know more about him? I'm always a little suspicious of tall DBs with good measurables because those guys often get extended NFL looks. Why didn't he?

nice article about him here:

https://themississippicollegian.com/2018/02/02/former-mississippi-college-choctaw-is-enjoying-success-in-the-cfl-by-corey-rholdon-sport-editor/

grab grass 'n growl
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2020, 09:09:17 PM »

Zach is the only real issue.  We will be good to great based on his health.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
booch

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2020, 09:18:48 PM »

He was with Indy for a year out of college...and I think he had some looks the last year and a bit, but no offers...hence why he hadn't resurfaced on 2019...has the skill set...hopefully he pans out this year
TecnoGenius

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2020, 12:03:28 AM »

I have major concerns with the secondary and slight concerns with the DL.

I'll come out and admit this even though y'all will think I'm crazy, but it was my opinion that if it came down to Jefferson and Nevis, when you factor the cost (and henceforth the money available to the rest of the roster) and strength of depth, I'd have taken Nevis. And don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE Jefferson fan.

You made me stop and think about it... and I'd still take Jefferson any day.  And remember, I'm not the biggest Willie fan.  Everyone yells at me when I echo many Riders fans saying Willie "takes plays off".  And Willie is 90% useless against the run even when it goes right past him (remember the Begelton TD sweep right by him in the WSF?).  But when Willie turns on that smoke, he will flat out win games for you.

And most teams are pass-heavy, so Willie is much more valuable than a run-stopping Nevis.  Only if our main rival teams take on a WPG persona and go run-heavy will our choice be a bad one.

And I think Nevis got a bigger payday to change teams than you are thinking, so it's not as huge a savings over Willie.

Nevis stuffs the middle, Nevis stops the run, and Nevis pushes that pocket in, but Nevis has and never will win a game for you.  I love Nevis, but the choice is the right one because he wants the payday (he deserves).

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
blue_or_die

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2020, 12:57:37 PM »

You made me stop and think about it... and I'd still take Jefferson any day.  And remember, I'm not the biggest Willie fan.  Everyone yells at me when I echo many Riders fans saying Willie "takes plays off".  And Willie is 90% useless against the run even when it goes right past him (remember the Begelton TD sweep right by him in the WSF?).  But when Willie turns on that smoke, he will flat out win games for you.

And most teams are pass-heavy, so Willie is much more valuable than a run-stopping Nevis.  Only if our main rival teams take on a WPG persona and go run-heavy will our choice be a bad one.

And I think Nevis got a bigger payday to change teams than you are thinking, so it's not as huge a savings over Willie.

Nevis stuffs the middle, Nevis stops the run, and Nevis pushes that pocket in, but Nevis has and never will win a game for you.  I love Nevis, but the choice is the right one because he wants the payday (he deserves).

It's not just about run-stopping, it's about pressuring the opposing QB during pass plays as well.

Willie will do sexier stuff that is more visible last year was laughable.

I'm not trying to downplay Jefferson by any means, I am a huge fan and agree he can take a game over. I am just saying that getting a consistent push in the middle that has a propagating effect against the entire offensive set is something that is undervalued, and Nevis was one of the best at that. And again, my argument is tied to dollars as well. Nevis was reportedly getting 85k, so even if his raise was to 135K (massive raise), that would still only be half of what we have to pay Willie. That's 135K (and likely more) that could be allocated to other areas of need on the roster.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from with that. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with the Jefferson signing. Love that guy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:14:28 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »

It's not just about run-stopping, it's about pressuring the opposing QB during pass plays as well.

Willie will do sexier stuff that is more visible last year was laughable.

I'm not trying to downplay Jefferson by any means, I am a huge fan and agree he can take a game over. I am just saying that getting a consistent push in the middle that has a propagating effect against the entire offensive set is something that is undervalued, and Nevis was one of the best at that. And again, my argument is tied to dollars as well. Nevis was reportedly getting 85k, so even if his raise was to 135K (massive raise), that would still only be half of what we have to pay Willie. That's 135K (and likely more) that could be allocated to other areas of need on the roster.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from with that. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with the Jefferson signing. Love that guy.

Lost a lot in what Jefferson does is disrupt hot reads and a lot of a QB first option from being right in the QB's line of fire, making him have to choose to go elsewhere and be in pocket longer, more susceptible to a sack, or make a crappy pass to try and go over and around him resulting in an incompletion or possible pick...not a stat, but very disruptive

Tho not due to Jefferson but a perfect example was Nevis breaking through causing Evan's to throw high and a errant pass which resulted in Alexander's pick in the Grey Cup
Nic16

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2020, 02:24:37 PM »

Lost a lot in what Jefferson does is disrupt hot reads and a lot of a QB first option from being right in the QB's line of fire, making him have to choose to go elsewhere and be in pocket longer, more susceptible to a sack, or make a crappy pass to try and go over and around him resulting in an incompletion or possible pick...not a stat, but very disruptive

Tho not due to Jefferson but a perfect example was Nevis breaking through causing Evan's to throw high and a errant pass which resulted in Alexander's pick in the Grey Cup

Gonna miss Nevis in the middle, but you?re right about Jefferson. He forces the opposition DC to game plan around him.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2020, 04:53:09 PM »

Gonna miss Nevis in the middle, but you?re right about Jefferson. He forces the opposition DC to game plan around him.

Agree

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2020, 06:12:58 PM »

Nevis was reportedly getting 85k, so even if his raise was to 135K (massive raise), that would still only be half of what we have to pay Willie. That's 135K (and likely more) that could be allocated to other areas of need on the roster.

I bet Nevis is getting paid more than $135.  If he wanted $135 we could have easily given him $120 and he'd stay here.  We could afford $120 for a GC-caliber DT.  If SSK can pay $250 for a mostly-invisible DT, we can do $120 for Nevis.

Nope, Nevis probably got top dollar for his move.  Not Micah insanity, but probably pretty high for a DT.

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
Tiger

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »

My reality:  we won the Grey Cup.  I am enjoying that still.

Every year is different. We will see what happens this year.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: