Blue Bombers Forum
February 27, 2020, 04:54:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Touch of Realism  (Read 1458 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 07:05:39 PM »

Concussion re-occurance seems to me to happen when a player rushes back too early.  Once they are symptom free, they are cleared to play.  But there is no guarantee they are fully healed.

Collaros sat for quite a while after he was cleared... that may have been enough to heal better.

I get vertigo.  When an episode hits, I have a Epley maneuver session, and it calms down.  I am symptom free, but if I do anything to exacerbate it, it comes back worse.  But after a month or so, it is fully rehabbed, and it takes a severe event to make it re-occur.  Not the same as a concussion, but somewhat similar...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 07:07:39 PM »

Not throwing Nichols under the bus, he had his way, and I always disliked that he would never let the other QB's take any snaps, even deep into garbage time.  As to MOS not pulling him, again, we don't know what sitting Nichols might have done from a confidence standpoint... but it seemed that we were able to do it far more with Collaros than Nichols.

When Collaros came in, Streveler was used in a different capacity than with Nichols.  We didn't start the year with a "two headed monster"...  even though we knew Streveler's abilities.  Yes, Streveler got in for his short yardage, and then maybe one play.  With Collaros, he had more packages, and instead of short yardage dives, he came in on running downs as well...

Buck as a player went head first into the fray, and it cost him.  Buck as an OC may have a different outlook is all I'm saying...

Until we get into the pre-season, we have no idea what the offense or even the QB corps is going to look like...

Yikes. You're going off the deep end again Aardvark.
Blue96

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »

Concussion re-occurance seems to me to happen when a player rushes back too early.  Once they are symptom free, they are cleared to play.  But there is no guarantee they are fully healed.

Collaros sat for quite a while after he was cleared... that may have been enough to heal better.

I get vertigo.  When an episode hits, I have a Epley maneuver session, and it calms down.  I am symptom free, but if I do anything to exacerbate it, it comes back worse.  But after a month or so, it is fully rehabbed, and it takes a severe event to make it re-occur.  Not the same as a concussion, but somewhat similar...

Cleared to play and not at risk for a more severe and potentially life threatening concussion are completely different. As a coach and someone who has to know about concussions, I know that as has been said many times, concussions have a cumulative effect. While a player may be symptom free, CTE is a real and deadly thing. Players that have had their bell rung, like Zach, are at huge risk of the symptoms and behaviours of CTE in later life. Not only that, but the brain, like any muscle, is weakened every time it sustains damage. Concussions have not finished rearing their ugly head for ZC, I just hope that he can stay healthy this season and next.
theaardvark

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 07:13:31 PM »

I must've missed when Nichols was the head coach. You do realize even when Streveler was our starter there were times when he could've/should've been pulled with an out of reach game either way, yet he stayed in, right?

You aren't saying "Buck might just put a different QB in for design run plays", you're implying that those plays will happen still, and with a QB who didn't average even 2 yards per carry in college.

The times Nichols was sat did not seem to sit well with him.  Sorry, that's just my observation.  Streveler too, he was seriously injured, but did not want to come out.

Is this a bad thing?  Wanting the ball every play?  In most cases, it is exactly what you want.  But it seemed to me that Nichols had convinced MOS to leave him in all the time.  Whether conscious or sub-conscious, who knows.  Just saying what it seemed like to me.

I didn't see that situation with Collaros.  Not a large sample size, and we didn't see Collaros struggle at all, but it just seemed like he was happy to let Streveler carry some of the load.   I'm not saying he was a Drew Tate, but was ok being on the sidelines.

I definitely think Buck will be more "creative" with his QB's, and put McGuire or our 3rd QB if we designate one in on designed run plays, even if the QB isn't an option on the play.  It doesn't make sense to risk when you don't have to...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 07:14:55 PM »

Not throwing Nichols under the bus, he had his way, and I always disliked that he would never let the other QB's take any snaps, even deep into garbage time.  As to MOS not pulling him, again, we don't know what sitting Nichols might have done from a confidence standpoint... but it seemed that we were able to do it far more with Collaros than Nichols.

When Collaros came in, Streveler was used in a different capacity than with Nichols.  We didn't start the year with a "two headed monster"...  even though we knew Streveler's abilities.  Yes, Streveler got in for his short yardage, and then maybe one play.  With Collaros, he had more packages, and instead of short yardage dives, he came in on running downs as well...

You've posted some nonsensical stuff in your time here but wow... this is up there.

And what's sad is you're speaking from a basis of pure ignorance and baseless assumption. But it's typical of you to dump on a player once he's no longer part of the WFC, so it is what it is.

It's the coach's/coaches' decision to pull a QB in garbage time, not a player's. And it was also the coach's/coaches' decision to deploy their QBs differently late in the season and post-season vs. earlier in the regular season. Of course you'd ignore the fact the offense was mostly getting the job done early in the season as it was being deployed.

I cannot for the life of me understand the logic behind the incredible reaches you make sometimes. Especially when you're just another fan with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever on the inner workings of the team.

In other words, your anecdotal evidence means nothing. You're not playing football nor have you suffered multiple concussion playing football. Being cleared to play football doesn't change the fact Collaros is putting his wellbeing at risk every time he steps on the field. That's how brain injuries go and the science on that is well established.

Yikes. You're going off the deep end again Aardvark.

One of those days methinks. Undecided
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:16:30 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
kkc60

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2020, 07:21:10 PM »

The times Nichols was sat did not seem to sit well with him.  Sorry, that's just my observation.  Streveler too, he was seriously injured, but did not want to come out.

Is this a bad thing?  Wanting the ball every play?  In most cases, it is exactly what you want.  But it seemed to me that Nichols had convinced MOS to leave him in all the time.  Whether conscious or sub-conscious, who knows.  Just saying what it seemed like to me.

I didn't see that situation with Collaros.  Not a large sample size, and we didn't see Collaros struggle at all, but it just seemed like he was happy to let Streveler carry some of the load.   I'm not saying he was a Drew Tate, but was ok being on the sidelines.

I definitely think Buck will be more "creative" with his QB's, and put McGuire or our 3rd QB if we designate one in on designed run plays, even if the QB isn't an option on the play.  It doesn't make sense to risk when you don't have to...
You really have a way of conveniently seeing things like that, and then bringing it up the second said player is off the team, hey?

And no it's not a bad thing, but you sure love to word it like it is, and then back-track.

Again, Collaros was on the team for like a month. Of course he probably was happy to not have the pressure of being on the field the whole time with a playbook he just learned.

Again, the odds of McGuire doing anything close to Streveler is low. You don't just find another Streveler and you don't just get your #2 or #3 to do designed runs cuz they're your #2 or #3. You do it because they can do it. McGuire had as many rushing yards in 4 years as Augustine did in like 2 starts this year. Please take this idea of McGuire being in designed QB runs on purpose out of your bucket-o-theories as it is ridiculously unrealistic
theaardvark

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »

You really have a way of conveniently seeing things like that, and then bringing it up the second said player is off the team, hey?

And no it's not a bad thing, but you sure love to word it like it is, and then back-track.

Again, Collaros was on the team for like a month. Of course he probably was happy to not have the pressure of being on the field the whole time with a playbook he just learned.

Again, the odds of McGuire doing anything close to Streveler is low. You don't just find another Streveler and you don't just get your #2 or #3 to do designed runs cuz they're your #2 or #3. You do it because they can do it. McGuire had as many rushing yards in 4 years as Augustine did in like 2 starts this year. Please take this idea of McGuire being in designed QB runs on purpose out of your bucket-o-theories as it is ridiculously unrealistic

Not talking designed QB run plays, I'm talking running downs.  Maybe with a QB option to run or roll out, but running play downs.  Not talking about McGuire running, but handing off or faking and rolling out... he does have an arm, so if you put him in on running plays, the fake becomes a lot more effective... Streveler did that nicely last year, and McGuire has a much better arm...

Jesse

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2020, 07:44:09 PM »

Not talking designed QB run plays, I'm talking running downs.  Maybe with a QB option to run or roll out, but running play downs.  Not talking about McGuire running, but handing off or faking and rolling out... he does have an arm, so if you put him in on running plays, the fake becomes a lot more effective... Streveler did that nicely last year, and McGuire has a much better arm...

Starter not likely coming off the field except due to injury.

I'd also like to point out that we have no idea if McGuire has a much better arm. We've never really seen him play.

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2020, 07:47:07 PM »

Starter not likely coming off the field except due to injury.

I'd also like to point out that we have no idea if McGuire has a much better arm. We've never really seen him play.
Did you not watch in pre-season...or in practice at all?
I been too many practices..McGuire had the strongest arm on roster last year, and I will go as far to say best arm I have seen in camp in years
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2020, 07:49:13 PM »

...What you're describing sounds like either a play-action pass or RPO. The fake does not become "a lot more effective" if your backup quarterback is in the game though.
blue_or_die

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2020, 07:52:25 PM »

...What you're describing sounds like either a play-action pass or RPO. The fake does not become "a lot more effective" if your backup quarterback is in the game though.

But the other team will never expect it! Got 'em right where we want 'em  Wink

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Nic16

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2020, 07:58:15 PM »

Did you not watch in pre-season...or in practice at all?
I been too many practices..McGuire had the strongest arm on roster last year, and I will go as far to say best arm I have seen in camp in years

Agreed 100%.

McGuire definitely had the strongest arm of our 3 QB?s...and this likely now includes ZC.

Question is, can he show it off come game time??...no idea, but I will say I do like his chances.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »

So with a non running QB2 brought in for an RPO on a running down where we don't run the ball, doesn't that just make the RPO a P, in which case you'd would leave your non-running QB1 in, in which case QB2 never actually sees the field, because if he did, there could quite literally be a black hole spontaneously develop?  Asking for a friend.
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2020, 08:02:10 PM »

Where to start?

-If Nichols didn't get injured then the Bombers likely finish first in the west.
-Rose wasn't a stud corner at the time we signed him
-Hecht and Fenner got burned horribly last year while they were in the lineup. Alexander was much better than Hecht, and I bet whoever replaces Fenner can't do any worse.
-I have plenty of faith in Buck. I believe he has a good understanding of what needs to be done to be successful.
-Nevis is expendable because Richardson. We won't see a drop off there
-I loved Roh, but him not being here isn't going to make a difference when you have Jeffcoat and Jefferson
-Adams had much more success with Collaros, add to the fact that Lawler and Bailey won't be coming in fresh we will be just fine there. They have so much upside to develop into stars.
-We don't need Streveler to be successful. We just go back to running a normal 1QB offence like every other team has run for ages
Nic16

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2020, 08:25:28 PM »

Where to start?

-If Nichols didn't get injured then the Bombers likely finish first in the west.
-Rose wasn't a stud corner at the time we signed him
-Hecht and Fenner got burned horribly last year while they were in the lineup. Alexander was much better than Hecht, and I bet whoever replaces Fenner can't do any worse.
-I have plenty of faith in Buck. I believe he has a good understanding of what needs to be done to be successful.
-Nevis is expendable because Richardson. We won't see a drop off there
-I loved Roh, but him not being here isn't going to make a difference when you have Jeffcoat and Jefferson
-Adams had much more success with Collaros, add to the fact that Lawler and Bailey won't be coming in fresh we will be just fine there. They have so much upside to develop into stars.
-We don't need Streveler to be successful. We just go back to running a normal 1QB offence like every other team has run for ages

Fully agree on all points.

At this point, my only real concern on D is the 2 open spots in the secondary. It appears the BB have a high level of confidence in Mike Jones filling 1 spot, but a question mark currently fills the other...which I assume is FCB.

That said, there is some intriguing DB prospects...Boynton & McDougal being 2 of them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: