Blue Bombers Forum
February 19, 2020, 06:47:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Touch of Realism  (Read 1304 times)
booch

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »

My 2 cents;

Offence
QB- we are worse of this year with Zach and Mc Guire than last year with Nichols and Strev.
WR-we should be better this year, due to familiarity
RB-Equal to last year
O-line- probably tops in the league, and with even better depth this year
Intangibles-we are worse off as Buck is an unknown

Defence
DL-losing Kongbo and Nevis makes us weaker
LB-As good as last year, hopefully Biggie is 100% and if so we will be improved at the LB spot
DB-We lost 2 guys to the NFL, but I am optimistic that we have guys that can step in. In saying that we are weaker than last year
Intangibles-it is to be seen how our DL/rotation, CDN starters are but with the continuity, I say our defence will be better over-all (I really like Alexander at safety)

Special teams
Return- should be even better
Cover-should be tops again
P/K-Medlock still has it, one of the best in the league

Over-all I see us again finishing somewhere in the 1-3 spot n the West. On paper we have a very good team, the culture and leadership seems to be in place, but Buck is not LaPo and Zach does not have the best injury history. Also don't kid yourself that Strev's unique skill set was not a major factor for us, without Strev. teams can scheme against us easier. Mc Quire is not Strev. and should/can not be used like him whether we want to admit it or not, that aspect of our offence is gone. I like our depth better than most teams we should be able to weather injuries better than most teams with the caveat of QB. Hammy by far has the most enviable QB depth in the league.

Good valid points, but last year too our DB backfield was a major concern/mess and it took us until about game 15-16 to have it sorted out...who was safety...who was gonna be corner...what to do at halfback...way more questions then last year....this year we know Alexander is a stud safety..Jones while small sample size of 4 games was huge in playoffs and produced 16 tackles..2 INT's..numerous pass breakups and showed was a solid tackler and was good on ST's..Taylor was solid as was Maston...so I see us starting out better off...Johnson is good and people will see that and many forget other than a few of us most looked at Winston Rose as  "MEH" signing

Biggie I see daily and looks to be very healthy and fitter than last year and I expect big season...Wilson should only get better and we have all our national back-ups and Korey Jones as the DI won't be missed...

Jefferson and Jeffcoat...nothing more to be said there..same with Richardson...Other DT...Big question mark, but that's what camp is for just like last year..Richardson pushed out Bryant, so who's to say we don't unearth another Richardson, but as it sits we are at moment weaker without Nevis rotating in. But just as strong or stronger with Hansen and McCallister as rotational ends as last year, but will miss Kongbo's potential and Birth Certificate

QB is grey area...we can be as good or better if all goes well...or worse if all doesn't...Back up is the question....Because whether it would be Strev or McGuire it would be sketchy..but the change of pace aspect of Strev will be missed, and I fully expected Nichols to go down this year too for some time..so starter is a wash...Zack allows us to do more, but is he more brittle..again...time will tell

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 04:31:05 PM »

Collaros has never played on a team with as much protection as this one.  SSK's Oline was terrible last year, and he was injured on a dirty play, like his first injury.

He has shown he is fully recovered and the team chose him over Nichols, fully aware of his "injury history".  

I'm just saying, don't wish for bad luck, and trust the team knows where it is at.  

Aardvark, our offensive line is very good but Collaros is still going to get hit every game. That's football. He also likes to scramble which can sometimes put more strain on the oline. Saskatchewan's Oline wasn't tops but it wasn't "terrible" last year, especially from a pass protection standpoint. In our playoff game both teams had 3 sacks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:32:39 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
booch

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 04:32:42 PM »

Downgrades:

PLAP to Buck - Decade of experience to none at OC.
QB - Huge gamble to go with Collaros backed up by McGuire.
DL - Kongbo allowed us to change the ratio at safety. Nevis stopped the run. Will have to use an NI DT to make our ratio this year.
DB - Sayles and Rose both played well enough to get NFL looks this year. Johnson didn't. Big downgrade here.

Same:

WR - Solid group, but still no #1 receiver
RB - Best in the League
OL - #1 or #2 in the league
LB - Need to play like they did in the last third of the season
Special teams - Solid group.

Upgrades:

None yet.

Looks like first to 3rd in the west unless Collaros goes down early, then it will be hard to make the playoffs.

Actually we were 3rd last year...so status quo...and it worked out just fine

Also Johnson is 3-4 years older than Rose and Sayles...and has done his NFL experience already...and many experts (not on these forums) have said Johnson was the best cover DB available in free agency...
BlueInCgy

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 04:37:35 PM »

From a statistical perspective alone, it's unlikely Collaros plays the whole season; it's never happened before with him as a starter.  He averages out at about 12 games a season.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 04:39:05 PM »

Collaros has never played on a team with as much protection as this one.  SSK's Oline was terrible last year, and he was injured on a dirty play, like his first injury.

He has shown he is fully recovered and the team chose him over Nichols, fully aware of his "injury history".  

I'm just saying, don't wish for bad luck, and trust the team knows where it is at.  

Even a well-protected QB is going to get hit legally 3-4 times per game shortly after releasing the ball, a good O-line can only provide so much protection.  The danger play for Zach is the roll out when he extends the play beyond the O-line protection and is hit upon release by a defender following through on his tackle.  Falling backward with a defender planted high on his chest is not a good situation for a QB with a history of concussions to find himself.  Both Buck and Zach are going to have to figure out how the dangerous situations are created and do their best to avoid those scenarios.  The whole ball of wax is riding on Zach's health this season.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:56:28 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 04:41:14 PM »

Aardvark, our offensive line is very good but Collaros is still going to get hit every game. That's football. He also likes to scramble which can sometimes put more strain on the oline. Saskatchewan's Oline wasn't tops but it wasn't "terrible" last year. In our playoff game both teams had 3 sacks.

Yup.. he's going to get hit.  Did in the 4 games he played last year for us, while he was busy getting us to the finish line.   And he survived all the hits quite well.

We won't have Streveler this year, but no reason to think McGuire is not going to be heavily involved on running downs, and like Streveler, pulling it every now and then for a huge pass.

One big difference is unlike the Warrior Nichols, Collaros isn't going to sulk if he doesn't get every snap.   Streveler was utilized a lot more behind Collaros than Nichols.  And that kept Collaros upright during the playoff run...

With Buck, who knows injuries, you can bet that Collaros will be protected.  Can he be protected against a Lawrence type dirty hit?  No one can.  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 04:44:46 PM »

Collaros had solid protection in Hamilton during his time there. You seem to ignore the fact brain injuries are cumulative, as evidenced by your "full recovery" comment. A full recovery means nothing when it all takes is a single hit to take him out again. The WFC choosing to go this route at QB doesn't nullify any of that. This regime has made mistakes in the past, anyway.

Who wished for bad luck? Oh, yeah... nobody.

Concern for the QB position this season is perfectly valid and rational. That doesn't mean fans here don't trust the team or that we can't criticize decisions. Spare us the holier-than-thou, homer narrative.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »

Yup.. he's going to get hit.  Did in the 4 games he played last year for us, while he was busy getting us to the finish line.   And he survived all the hits quite well.

We won't have Streveler this year, but no reason to think McGuire is not going to be heavily involved on running downs, and like Streveler, pulling it every now and then for a huge pass.

One big difference is unlike the Warrior Nichols, Collaros isn't going to sulk if he doesn't get every snap.   Streveler was utilized a lot more behind Collaros than Nichols.  And that kept Collaros upright during the playoff run...

With Buck, who knows injuries, you can bet that Collaros will be protected.  Can he be protected against a Lawrence type dirty hit?  No one can.  

Umm - there is reason to think he's not going to be "heavily involved in running downs" like Streveler. I would point to the fact that he is not Streveler and therefore cannot do those things.

Did Nichols 'sulk'? You said everyone we sign is a 'team first guy' or is that not true today because it doesn't happen to fit the narrative?

I am looking forward to seeing what Buck can do, but your logic is faulty. The guy "knows injuries" because he could never figure out how to protect himself while playing. That's good? I guess?
Blue96

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 04:48:11 PM »

Even a well-protected QB is going to get hit legally 3-4 times per game shortly after releasing the ball, a good O-line can only provide so much protection.  The danger play for Zach is the roll out when he extends the play beyond the O-line protection and is hit upon release by a defender following through on his tackle.  Falling backward with a defender planted high on his chest is not a good situation for a QB with a history of concussions to find himself.  Both Buck and Zach are going to have to figure out how the dangerous situations are created and do their best to avoid those scenarios.  The whole ball of was is riding on Zach's health this season.

I agree with you that Zach's health is an extremely pivotal (mind the pun) issue. I also agree that he's going to take some shots, and probably some cheap ones. As a football player/coach, I know that those hits are often less severe when the DT/DE doesn't have an unrestricted run at the QB. Can/could a seemingly small hit be a terrible blow resulting in injury, absolutely, we see it often. The only thing I'd say about Zach's health and getting hit, is that with our OL being so strong, and having good group cohesion, the likelihood that he sustains the kinds of hits he did the last few seasons is statistically less likely.

All that to say, I agree with you and that Zach rolling out and not having protection while extending a play could spell trouble if he needs to resort to that too often.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 04:49:30 PM »

NO.....Strev. was a one off a truly amazing unique athlete, so good in fact that even with mediocre at best passing ability he scheduled numerous NFL workouts, had multiple offers and was able to get a 100k commitment because of it. Mc Quire is not nor will he ever be able to do what Strev. did last year. That aspect of our game is gone with Strev.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 04:55:42 PM »

Umm - there is reason to think he's not going to be "heavily involved in running downs" like Streveler. I would point to the fact that he is not Streveler and therefore cannot do those things.

Did Nichols 'sulk'? You said everyone we sign is a 'team first guy' or is that not true today because it doesn't happen to fit the narrative?

I am looking forward to seeing what Buck can do, but your logic is faulty. The guy "knows injuries" because he could never figure out how to protect himself while playing. That's good? I guess?

Unreal spin cycle today. And then more childish shots at Matt Nichols... What gives.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
booch

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »

THE 100K commitment tho is deceiving especially for UFA's

It's guaranteed and all but only a fraction is paid out as upfront signing bonus..and most likely only 5 to 10k as teams only have 94k for this purpose...but if he is cut he will get balance paid out over 5 years against the teams cap..thats how it works...You can doubt me if you want, but thats the way it is. I have mentioned this before in other threads and it's a teams "Dead Money"

blue_or_die

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »

I have major concerns with the secondary and slight concerns with the DL.

I'll come out and admit this even though y'all will think I'm crazy, but it was my opinion that if it came down to Jefferson and Nevis, when you factor the cost (and henceforth the money available to the rest of the roster) and strength of depth, I'd have taken Nevis. And don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE Jefferson fan. I just really thought that the success of the D, especially against the run, came from the stove and refrigerator we had parked in the middle of the Dline. The price would have been less than half of Jefferson, and we could have re-upped Roh as the de facto starter (underrated) and heavily rotated McCallister. Looking at that DL as a group, it's possibly stronger in terms of potential penetration/opening for LBs. That said, having McCallister in as the new Roh will be great, and our DE rotation will obviously be tops in the league. Not sure about the middle, though.

We obviously lost two very, very good DBs to the NFL; one of which was the league interception leader and the other playing arguably the most difficult position in Canadian football. Our biggest asset left is Brandon Alexander, but it is perplexing to me that he we be wasted by playing one of the easiest spots to fill. Taylor is serviceable and Mike Jones has shown that he very well could be a baller (certainly was in the playoffs), but I would recommend we put Alexander at BHB, Jones as BCB, JJ at FHB, a no0b at FCB, and use the vet Taylor to be field general as our safety. That is all of course to say if we do go all Int in the secondary. In any case, it was not possible to replace Sayles and Rose apparently, so we have to flesh out the boundary side with our best available IMO.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue girl

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »

Offensively I think that we'll be very good. Collaros is going to get hit but if he can avoid the shots to the head he'll be alright. On defence we've taken some hits. Losing Nevis and Kongbo may be bigger than people think but we couldn't afford to give Nevis what he deserved and Kongbo wants to pursue the NFL. On special teams we'll be okay. We have the best kicker in the league IMO and should have Grant and Nelson battling for the returners position. I think that we'll finish no worse than third.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:04:17 PM by blue girl » Logged
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »

I agree with you that Zach's health is an extremely pivotal (mind the pun) issue. I also agree that he's going to take some shots, and probably some cheap ones. As a football player/coach, I know that those hits are often less severe when the DT/DE doesn't have an unrestricted run at the QB. Can/could a seemingly small hit be a terrible blow resulting in injury, absolutely, we see it often. The only thing I'd say about Zach's health and getting hit, is that with our OL being so strong, and having good group cohesion, the likelihood that he sustains the kinds of hits he did the last few seasons is statistically less likely.

All that to say, I agree with you and that Zach rolling out and not having protection while extending a play could spell trouble if he needs to resort to that too often.

It is going to be a high stress season, no doubt about it.  If Collaros would have been concussed at any time during his 4 game run with the team, Walters decision would have been made for him.  The fact that signing Collaros paid off in a G.C. victory threw logic out of wack and almost forced him to go all-in on extending the Zach romance past the honeymoon.  I think Walters has done a fabulous job building the team up to the peak they reached last Nov. but from a managerial point of view I can't support the risk he has taken going all-in on Collaros.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: