Blue Bombers Forum
July 15, 2020, 10:47:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This years attendance  (Read 2820 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 10:19:14 PM »

Concessions are a tough gig with 10 dates a year... think about it.  I get that they stick with the easy deep fried stuff... getting a more elaborate menu would be taxing on the staff, and because you have to buy produce for any fresh items, you have to buy enough to satisfy demand, but not so much as you have leftovers that go to waste.

I think Clay Oven did it right.  They made everything off-site, stuff they'd use at their locations anyhow, and sell it at IGF.  That's the way you have to do it.  Luckily many ethnic foods fit that bill.  I know it's tough, but Danny and Khan are making it work!  Heck, how does the Goldeyes keep so many varied kiosks in business?

Never go full Rider!
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 12:31:13 AM »

I think Clay Oven did it right.  They made everything off-site, stuff they'd use at their locations anyhow, and sell it at IGF.  That's the way you have to do it.  Luckily many ethnic foods fit that bill.  I know it's tough, but Danny and Khan are making it work!  Heck, how does the Goldeyes keep so many varied kiosks in business?

I think baseball, and even hockey are different as they have more than one event a week when the team is home. I don't run any sort of business and never have or never will, but I'd suspect it's easier to operate every day than just one day every couple of weeks.

I don't do the BBQ thing at IGF, but Shawarma Khan is a staple for me. Nevertheless, the quality at his stand-alone restaurants outside of the stadium is far superior to what is inside the stadium.

I think the concession solution is to really drop those prices. If they are beyond competitive inside the stadium it will keep people from eating before they get there. A $45 burger is cool, but their base business has to be on stuff that the majority of fans will actually buy and eat.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »

I think baseball, and even hockey are different as they have more than one event a week when the team is home. I don't run any sort of business and never have or never will, but I'd suspect it's easier to operate every day than just one day every couple of weeks.

I don't do the BBQ thing at IGF, but Shawarma Khan is a staple for me. Nevertheless, the quality at his stand-alone restaurants outside of the stadium is far superior to what is inside the stadium.

I think the concession solution is to really drop those prices. If they are beyond competitive inside the stadium it will keep people from eating before they get there. A $45 burger is cool, but their base business has to be on stuff that the majority of fans will actually buy and eat.

One idea I was pondering a while back (and this is in absolutely no way feasible at IGF or just about any stadium as it is designed today) to make concessions more feasible, while also relieving resources needed for concessions in the stadium, would be to create the concession concourse like a series of parking stalls. Food trucks, which are just mobile restaurants, could book a stall for an entire season or just one game, and essentially pull up to the stadium, back in, plug in, and set up shop, with their service window facing the concourse.

- The stadium wouldn't need to house fryers, till, or any other kitchen equipment
- The food truck becomes more viable as it adds solid dates to their schedule that will for sure make money
- The stadium is off the hook for figuring out how to best provide food
- Service will improve because the vendors are experts at selling food en masse at events and non-centrally
- Quality of food is better because of their expertise in delivering their service in this way
- You increase variety to the concession options
- You bring reputable restaurateurs into the fold, just like the Goldeyes are able to do
- The food trucks aren't burdened by having to try and adopt their model in a cramped/unusual setting like a regular restaurant is when trying to establish a satellite site
- The stadium doesn't need to stockpile and store food and beverages, or at least as many
- Take it a step further and imagine local craft beer trucks with kegs loaded with their brew

Anyway, just a hair brained scheme. You would need to design a stadium designed for the food trucks, of course, which would be risky since the model might be a total flop.

Interested in thoughts on this concept.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:12:44 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
bigbuff33

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »

Would love to see the home opener turned into a Grey Cup celebration...video clips, handing out rings...creative ticketing packages to get families out...
Turn it into a must attend event!!
GCn19

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 02:24:34 PM »

Attending a CFL game is one of the best value outings you can do. It's a pro sport you can bring the whole family out to.

I'm surprised you're so pessimistic since you're so rah-rah CFL. Aren't you normally the one telling all of us that we are haters and that everything will be just fine?

I find the price of tickets and concessions to be cheap. I feel no need to pack a lunch with me. I honestly don't feel cost is a big factor in attendance. Weather, day of the week, who the opposition is, and most importantly how good are football team is are the biggest factors for the majority of those considering attending. Put a blackout in effect and see what happens to attendance.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:31:16 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 02:27:17 PM »

It has zero bearing on me. I have never based my attendance on anything but the play on the field.

I like the hay bales and fires outside the stadium during the fall months pre-game, but usually don't arrive early enough to enjoy.

I attend for the football as well, but last year I took my niece and nephew in law to a game and we pre-gamed and they enjoyed it so much that they are buying season tix this year. They are not really football fans per se but really enjoyed the game day experience.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sec227

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 02:41:34 PM »

I find the price of tickets and concessions to be cheap. I feel no need to pack a lunch with me. I honestly don't feel cost is a big factor in attendance. Weather, day of the week, who the opposition is, and most importantly how good are football team is are the biggest factors for the majority of those considering attending. Put a blackout in effect and see what happens to attendance.
I'm on the fence on the dreaded blackout. While I know people who would may go to a game. But instead watch it at home on TV. It might the entire death of the league. Or at least use the NFL rule of what, 97% sell out and the games on TV locally I think. Plus all the bars etc, they would'nt be too pleased.

theaardvark

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »

One idea I was pondering a while back (and this is in absolutely no way feasible at IGF or just about any stadium as it is designed today) to make concessions more feasible, while also relieving resources needed for concessions in the stadium, would be to create the concession concourse like a series of parking stalls. Food trucks, which are just mobile restaurants, could book a stall for an entire season or just one game, and essentially pull up to the stadium, back in, plug in, and set up shop, with their service window facing the concourse.

- The stadium wouldn't need to house fryers, till, or any other kitchen equipment
- The food truck becomes more viable as it adds solid dates to their schedule that will for sure make money
- Service will improve because the vendors are experts at selling food en masse at events and non-centrally
- Quality of food is better because of their expertise in delivering their service in this way
- You bring reputable restaurateurs into the fold, just like the Goldeyes are able to do
- The food trucks aren't burdened by having to try and adopt their model in a cramped/unusual setting like a regular restaurant is when trying to establish a satellite site
- The stadium doesn't need to stockpile and store food and beverages, or at least as many
- Take it a step further and imagine local craft beer trucks with kegs loaded with their brew

Anyway, just a hair brained scheme. You would need to design a stadium designed for the food trucks, of course, which would be risky since the model might be a total flop.

Food trucks are awesome... but have you ever seen one that was inundated with 100 customers at once?  Now, imagine that 10fold... 30 food trucks and 30k attending, and you have 1000 customers per truck.  All at once.  All wanting service inside 5 minutes.

Lovely idea, but not even close to feasible... food trucks are meant to be relaxed, unique experiences.  Stadium food services are high volume, short wait situations.  

Fresh food preparation is great for restaurants, stadium food cannot be adapted to that model.  Large batches of quick to finish/package/vend is the key.  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sec227

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 02:46:10 PM »

I like where you are going with this. Ive said before. Make a food truck ally. Right on front of the Stadium by the run down U of M track. Fence it in, Beer gardens, Big screen game on. $15 buck wrist band. ONLY this area.  And cap it at 500-1000. At least thats a "different Experince for the fan that want a different time. Might be able to catch a few that will buy tickets. Are at least create a differrent buzz with a demographic that may not be tapped into yet.
Jesse

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 02:52:56 PM »

Obviously the food trucks pulling up into the stadium is probably impossible.

But stadiums could probably adapt the smoking exits to open up to a parking lot spot where there could be room made for food trucks. Kind of like the open area of the Rum Hut in the old stadium, but enlarged.

My wife is amazing!
Jesse

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 02:53:42 PM »

Food trucks are awesome... but have you ever seen one that was inundated with 100 customers at once?  Now, imagine that 10fold... 30 food trucks and 30k attending, and you have 1000 customers per truck.  All at once.  All wanting service inside 5 minutes.

Lovely idea, but not even close to feasible... food trucks are meant to be relaxed, unique experiences.  Stadium food services are high volume, short wait situations.  

Fresh food preparation is great for restaurants, stadium food cannot be adapted to that model.  Large batches of quick to finish/package/vend is the key.  

Fair enough. The high quality food trucks - when they're busy - can keep you waiting for 10-20 minutes prepping your food.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »

The other issue with food prep inside the stadium/concourse is safety.  Ventilation, fire control, etc...

Now, parking the trucks outside on the golf course as a wander through extension of the tailgate, sure.  Or, maybe, carts/counters inside the concourse they can feed from a mobile kitchen outside... have a few signature dishes, no additions/substitutions and assembly line them and run them into the stadium so they are "fresh" but no wait...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2020, 05:22:47 PM »

Maybe you've had a different experience with food trucks than me but I've been in some long lines and haven't had that much more of a wait than traditional concessions at a sporting venue. They are still able to do prep work and pre-make in anticipation of the larger than usual crowds. Also, the food truck model I made up could be augmented by regular, in-house, "express" concessions for quicker service and leave the food trucks to those who take their eating experience at games more seriously.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2020, 05:48:06 PM »

there is massive room for improvement at IGF in terms of food quality...a few summers ago we went to a Lions game in Vancouver and the hot roast beef bun was better than anything I have had (including the "budget shwarma" Obby puts out) at IGF.  The food options there were miles better.
Nic16

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2020, 06:40:14 PM »

there is massive room for improvement at IGF in terms of food quality...a few summers ago we went to a Lions game in Vancouver and the hot roast beef bun was better than anything I have had (including the "budget shwarma" Obby puts out) at IGF.  The food options there were miles better.

A bit off track, but food isn?t the only thing that has massive room for improvement. The food concessions @ IGF are managed very poorly by an outside company. One just has to either work there or know somebody that worked there to hear/see what goes on behind the scenes. Very little - if any - effort goes into job orientation & training. More than a few labour laws get broken on a regular basis. Moral is low and staff turnover is high. People are initially excited to work @ IGF, but soon get turned off after doing so. So keep this in mind next time you purchase something at the food concession...these people definitely deserve a tip!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: