Blue Bombers Forum
February 27, 2020, 04:19:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nevis and Fenner to free agency  (Read 1877 times)
bwiser

« on: February 10, 2020, 09:09:53 PM »

It appears Nevis and Fenner are headed to free agency. Nevis is close to signing with the Argos according to TSN. We should know by sometime tomorrow
Jockitch

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 09:12:42 PM »

guess Nevis is part of the SMS change now that WJ re-upped ....... Nevis was a terrific Bomber.

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP BOUND

HUSTLE & MUSCLE IN "19"
bwiser

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 09:15:22 PM »

Nevis was a big part of why the Bomber run defense was so stingy. It will be a big loss if he leaves as appears to be the case.
theaardvark

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »

Nevis was a big part of why the Bomber run defense was so stingy. It will be a big loss if he leaves as appears to be the case.

Richardson was good as well, the two Int DT's worked well together.  I'm thinking we are going Nat at DT with Thomas/Griffiths, and with Richardson still on his first deal, Nevis may be a luxury we can't afford...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue girl

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 09:48:45 PM »

This doesn't surprise me. In order to keep some players you have to let others go.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 12:38:10 AM »

Fenner we can part with, Nevis will leave a hole.  Maybe we can find a cheaper replacement or a new face in camp could impress. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
kkc60

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 12:38:40 AM »

Fenner we can part with, Nevis will leave a hole.  Maybe we can find a cheaper replacement or a new face in camp could impress. 
I believe this is because the ratio
Bombers9256

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 03:52:04 AM »

Tough to see Nevis go. He was a beast in the middle and teams could basically not run against us. I wonder if we should have spent Couture?s money on Nevis instead. Seemed like Speller did just fine. But I?m not an o line expert and Couture is solid.

#fortheW
TecnoGenius

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 04:30:38 AM »

I'd try to keep Nevis.  However, he might finally want the big payday, and he deserves it.  If we can't give it to him, then it's ok goes and gets it elsewhere.

Yes, Richardson might be able to step up, but he's not Nevis-level yet.  And even if we go NAT at DT, we'll need a new IMP backup / dev guy.

From a FAKENAT perspective, it's interesting to see us letting a potential DEFANAT choice walk.  So I'd say it's down to WR Adams or a LB (or Alexander) who will be our 3rd DEFANAT.

Fenner: I wouldn't write him off yet.  Let him see if he can get paid elsewhere, then re-sign him if he can't.  He's good for continuity and was doing well when we benched him due to our plethora of late-acquired DBs.  Not only do we need to replace Rose/Sayles: we have to stock up our DB depth.  You could do a lot worse than Fenner.

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 04:37:14 AM »

Nevis is expendable unless his price is right.
booch

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »

Richardson isn't NEVIS level....but he is on a different level altogether actually...and another yr of experience will show it this year...he is extremely quick for a hydrant type guy and is better in backside pursuit, and more powerfull...Nevis had him beat in experience and savvy...but Richardson will eclipse that I bet by this year....Tho I still wish we were able to keep him

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »

Not at all shocked re: Fenner. He became expendable, unfortunately.

I'm disappointed about Nevis, though. He's been a lynchpin for that D-line, especially against the run. I imagine his loss will be felt in the trenches, at least for a while.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 02:01:37 PM »

As has been mentioned you can't pay everyone. Nevis will/should get a pay bump and it appears we can't justify it. I wish him the best and enjoyed having him on our team.

Fenner wasn't great wasn't terrible IMO he could be a good safety...just my opinion...in saying that if we go import at safety, maybe he could be back if the price is right or maybe a depth guy. If he can get paid better somewhere else he deserves that.
I will wish him the best, he had some great moments in B&G
blue_or_die

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »

Still a chance these guys could be Bombers once the heavy fruit shakes loose in Free Agency...

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
kkc60

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 02:45:23 PM »

Still a chance these guys could be Bombers once the heavy fruit shakes loose in Free Agency...
There are so many better options than Fenner
blue_or_die

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 02:50:49 PM »

lol, still having this argument, eh?

There are definitely better starters than Fenner out there, but he's a good utility guy that can play multiple positions and is an excellent ST guy. Great to have a Swiss army knife.

Anyway, my comment was directed more so to Nevis, who I think wants to see what he's worth. It's possible no one pays him what he wants, although less likely since I would imagine he is a relatively coveted FA prize.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »

That may be true but it doesn't negate blue_or_die's point. Take what happened with Nevis last year as an example of that.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
the paw

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 03:39:45 PM »

There are definitely better starters than Fenner out there, but he's a good utility guy that can play multiple positions and is an excellent ST guy. Great to have a Swiss army knife.

Anyway, my comment was directed more so to Nevis, who I think wants to see what he's worth. It's possible no one pays him what he wants, although less likely since I would imagine he is a relatively coveted FA prize.

I think a few teams would rather take Nevis at $125k than Micah Johnson at $250k.  And given what Nevis made last year, that would be a great raise.  I wish we still had cap room for him, but that ship has sailed.

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 03:41:59 PM »

Nevis to TOR.  Makes sense... he was at the same Raptors game that Willie went to.  Good on him, he deserves a good pay day.  Losing Laing, though, tough sledding on the TOR D...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 07:41:38 PM »

I think a few teams would rather take Nevis at $125k than Micah Johnson at $250k.  And given what Nevis made last year, that would be a great raise.  I wish we still had cap room for him, but that ship has sailed.

Pre-Nevis the Bomber run D was a major weakness which cost them dearly, especially in late season games, Euclid Cummings, Keith Shologan, Zach Anderson, Bryant Turner all were DT's who failed to stem the flow.  Let's hope we don't see a return to that as it helps the secondary concentrate on pass D when they don't have to worry so much about breaking off coverage to make big tackles.  They now have Bighill so hopefully he returns to form and helps shut down the running game along with Wilson who is solid.  Major concern with Jake and unproven Griffiths on the field at the same time, hopefully that is seldom as they only need 1 Natl. on D, but depends largely on Richardson's stamina and the use of the extra DE rotation.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:57:47 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 08:06:41 PM »

Still no word on either signing elsewhere yet. Kinda surprised about Nevis, to be honest.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »

Still no word on either signing elsewhere yet. Kinda surprised about Nevis, to be honest.

I'm guessing there's no way we can fit Nevis in but I'd sure like to have him back. He clogs up the middle so well.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 08:35:27 PM »

I'm guessing there's no way we can fit Nevis in but I'd sure like to have him back. He clogs up the middle so well.

Going by Walters latest interview DT is where they've decided to manage the ratio, as they're sticking with Alexander at S.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 09:15:04 PM »

Going by Walters latest interview DT is where they've decided to manage the ratio, as they're sticking with Alexander at S.

Ya and fair enough but they're apparently doing that by taking away Nevis and going with the status quo there. Can't have everything I suppose but it's not going to be quite as easy without Nevis there that's for sure.
DM83

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 01:43:52 AM »

They can sign Nevis.
They just have to  massage the ratio.
They should sign him. Bighill needs to have DTs occupy thise O-linemen so Biggie can prowl.
They can rotate a SB or. Go get a CDN safety to rotate in.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 01:58:09 AM »

Ya and fair enough but they're apparently doing that by taking away Nevis and going with the status quo there. Can't have everything I suppose but it's not going to be quite as easy without Nevis there that's for sure.

Not really status quo, Kongbo is gone and Griffiths is pencilled in to take Nevis's rotation. 

Argos have not officially signed Nevis yet so he may still be listening to other offers.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 02:08:03 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
kkc60

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 02:24:15 AM »

Sign Fenner when its known Duck, McDougle, etc aren't potential starters.

Utility guys are great. Unfortunately they aren't as useful when they can only excel at one position (SAM) and that even then, they woumd up getting replaced numerous times.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 02:30:04 AM »

Nevis is expendable unless his price is right.
Disagree.  He is worth every penny.

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2020, 03:39:36 AM »

I want Nevis back.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2020, 06:37:10 AM »

Josh Johnson signing today may mean we're not interested in Fenner at any price.  I wish him well on other teams.

blue_or_die

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »

Sign Fenner when its known Duck, McDougle, etc aren't potential starters.

Utility guys are great. Unfortunately they aren't as useful when they can only excel at one position (SAM) and that even then, they woumd up getting replaced numerous times.

I think you're missing the point. Fenner would be a DI; as in, backup to numerous positions where he is a known quantity should injury occur, and who we know can ball on special teams.

kkc60

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »

I think you're missing the point. Fenner would be a DI; as in, backup to numerous positions where he is a known quantity should injury occur, and who we know can ball on special teams.
No I understand what you're saying. We also never carried a DI DB near the end of the year. That wasn't an accident. It's because Alexander can do exactly what Fenner can: fill in at most if not all DB spots. Then a canadian went to safety.

If we are going to sign a meh DB who probably has reached their ceiling, I'd rather bring back Fogg. And that says something
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 03:36:53 PM »

No I understand what you're saying. We also never carried a DI DB near the end of the year. That wasn't an accident. It's because Alexander can do exactly what Fenner can: fill in at most if not all DB spots. Then a canadian went to safety.

If we are going to sign a meh DB who probably has reached their ceiling, I'd rather bring back Fogg. And that says something

But Alexander is a starter. Fenner is a backup and a better one than any Canadian backup DB we would roster.

Fogg wouldn't be a returner, so he would be no use on STs like Fenner would be.

GCn19

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »

I gotta be honest, I wouldn't want either guy back. Fenner had clearly lost a step, and Fogg doesn't really offer us much either.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
kkc60

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »

But Alexander is a starter. Fenner is a backup and a better one than any Canadian backup DB we would roster.

Fogg wouldn't be a returner, so he would be no use on STs like Fenner would be.
But then we don't roster a LB most likely as a DI. With Medlock we can't have both.

Fenner was so vital to our STs or as a DI that he wasn't dressed at all during the playoffs.

the paw

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »

I gotta be honest, I wouldn't want either guy back. Fenner had clearly lost a step, and Fogg doesn't really offer us much either.

I don't think Fenner lost a step, so much as had bad luck.  We really signed him to play SAM, which he is very good at, and sufficiently fast.  But he got hurt his first year, and Gainor looked so good at SAM he never got another look there.  I thought Fenner was decent at field corner, and great on teams, but as a priority free agent his contract with us was too high for a utility guy. And we literally have half a dozen good prospects knocking at the door to play DB at any given time.  

Fogg was always up and down as a DB, but added that return value.  But Grant is a better returner, and we have better DBs already signed.

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »

We have had very good luck in picking up talent from other squads that were underutilized / underappreciated, as well as finding new talent.  I'm more than happy with the FA signing we made, and look forward to the competition in TC from the new blood the team has found.

kkc60

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »

I don't think Fenner lost a step, so much as had bad luck.  We really signed him to play SAM, which he is very good at, and sufficiently fast.  But he got hurt his first year, and Gainor looked so good at SAM he never got another look there.  I thought Fenner was decent at field corner, and great on teams, but as a priority free agent his contract with us was too high for a utility guy. And we literally have half a dozen good prospects knocking at the door to play DB at any given time.  

Fogg was always up and down as a DB, but added that return value.  But Grant is a better returner, and we have better DBs already signed.
No to Fenner and Fogg. My point was if we want a meh veteran DB, may as well retain Fogg.

Fenner at corner was wild. He got beat baaaaad and would have gotten beat even more if he wasn't so athletic.

I agree, let's get our prospects first dibs. There will always be veteran DBs available. Taylor and Maston are prime examples
Pigskin

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2020, 05:37:28 PM »

Has anyone signed Nevis yet?
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2020, 06:10:59 PM »

No, hope he doesn't end up in Sask!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 06:20:49 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2020, 06:21:08 PM »

The Argos...  he was at the same game that Jefferson was at...

GCn19

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2020, 06:30:25 PM »

The Argos...  he was at the same game that Jefferson was at...

He hasn't signed yet. He was rumored to be close to signing there but nothing has materialized yet.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2020, 06:56:51 PM »

Maybe Blue Bombers are hanging around.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2020, 07:00:05 PM »

He hasn't signed yet. He was rumored to be close to signing there but nothing has materialized yet.

Almost get the feeling that if Willie had signed with the Argos, Nevis would have signed too.  Now he may be having second thoughts and could choose to ignore the highest bid from the Argos if he doesn't like the situation.  Still without another viable ratio option on D, I don't see Walters changing his mind.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »

Josh Johnson signing today may mean we're not interested in Fenner at any price.  I wish him well on other teams.

good point

blue_or_die

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2020, 07:25:17 PM »

But then we don't roster a LB most likely as a DI. With Medlock we can't have both.

Fenner was so vital to our STs or as a DI that he wasn't dressed at all during the playoffs.

Fine by me. I'd rather DI a DB anyway, and Fenner can play SAM.

No to Fenner and Fogg. My point was if we want a meh veteran DB, may as well retain Fogg.

Fenner at corner was wild. He got beat baaaaad and would have gotten beat even more if he wasn't so athletic.

I agree, let's get our prospects first dibs. There will always be veteran DBs available. Taylor and Maston are prime examples

Fenner had a bad start but was pretty good once he got going. Certainly he got beat out but again, I am not advocating him to be a starter.

He's more than a meh player when you factor in versatility + role on STs. I would rather have that than roll the dice on prospects (as long as the price is right, obviously)

Go Big Blue

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2020, 07:39:06 PM »

Nevis is a solid 300 lbs and is going to be missed on the D Line for stopping the run up the middle, especially for the short yardage attempts. Hope WJ talks to him about coming back and Walters can make his $ fit in their salary cap.  

The Blue Cow Cream Play of the 107th Grey Cup - #3 Thiadric Hansen: One hit takes out two Tiger Cats.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2020, 07:39:09 PM »

Fine by me. I'd rather DI a DB anyway, and Fenner can play SAM.

Fenner had a bad start but was pretty good once he got going. Certainly he got beat out but again, I am not advocating him to be a starter.

He's more than a meh player when you factor in versatility + role on STs. I would rather have that than roll the dice on prospects (as long as the price is right, obviously)

I believe Fenner signed for $140,000 when he came over from the Lions, big things were expected as he was one of the top SAM's in the league at that time.  So his salary didn't help his prospects of being re-signed, if he signs anywhere it's going to be for a major dip.
blue_or_die

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2020, 08:23:34 PM »

I believe Fenner signed for $140,000 when he came over from the Lions, big things were expected as he was one of the top SAM's in the league at that time.  So his salary didn't help his prospects of being re-signed, if he signs anywhere it's going to be for a major dip.

I agree. He's probably a $110k-ish player, tops.

blue girl

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2020, 08:24:26 PM »

Nevis could come back but it will depend on if The Bombers can afford him. I'm more worried about the Canadians playing DT. Thomas can't play a full game and we don't know what we have in Griffiths.
blue girl

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »

Forget what I said about Nevis. I just heard on CJOB that he's signed in Toronto.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »

Forget what I said about Nevis. I just heard on CJOB that he's signed in Toronto.
yep that sucks he is gone. What a power in the middle. Richardson needs a new buddy up the middle with Fatboi.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2020, 10:23:10 PM »

yep that sucks he is gone. What a power in the middle. Richardson needs a new buddy up the middle with Fatboi.

Well, I am happy of one thing... all(?) our ex-players are going east.  Makes playing against them much less acrimonious.

Speaking of the East, looks like Randle may have to retire...

dd

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2020, 02:00:14 AM »

Nevis could come back but it will depend on if The Bombers can afford him. I'm more worried about the Canadians playing DT. Thomas can't play a full game and we don't know what we have in Griffiths.
I m not worried in the least with this one. I remember last year we put out 3 D ends to generate speed up the middle and that was effective.
DM83

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »

Randle???!!!  His wheels fell off a couple years ago.
Same with Fenner. Unless they do play him as a LB.  he certainly wasn't a corner
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: