Blue Bombers Forum
July 15, 2020, 10:16:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers agree to terms with CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player Willie  (Read 2678 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: February 10, 2020, 08:18:31 PM »

Blue Bombers agree to terms with CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player Willie Jefferson

WINNIPEG, MB., February 10, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the team has agreed to terms with all-star defensive end Willie Jefferson on a two-year contract extension.

Jefferson is coming off a 2019 season that was the best of his six-year Canadian Football League career. In his first year as a Blue Bomber, he posted a career-best '2 quarterback sacks, set a new CFL record for pass knockdowns by a defensive lineman with 16 (best in the league), while also leading the CFL with six forced fumbles and adding 24 tackles, an interception and two fumble recoveries.

Jefferson was also dominant in the 107th Grey Cup, registering three sacks and two forced fumbles as the Bombers captured their 11th championship in franchise history. For his efforts, Jefferson was named the CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player for the first time in his career and was also named a CFL All-Star and West Division All-Star for the third consecutive season. Jefferson was also named the Blue Bombers Most Outstanding Player and Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2019.

"As an organization, we are very excited to have Willie and his family return for another two seasons," said General Manager Kyle Walters. "The talent he brings to the table and his ability to change football games speaks for itself, but what we have gotten to know over the past season is the person behind the player, and that is just as important to our football operations."

The 2020 season with be Jefferson?s seventh in the CFL after spending 2014-15 with the Edmonton Eskimos and 2016-18 with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. The veteran lineman has appeared in 94 regular season games, registering 43 sacks, 151 tackles, three career interceptions and touchdowns, and 12 forced fumbles.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 08:21:03 PM »

From Willie:

They always said the East is sweet...
But the West is Best!!! #CmonDownToWinnipeg
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »

Jeff Hamilton is reporting 265k per season
RicoBeBlue

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 08:24:51 PM »

Gotta love it when a plan comes together ! (A la "A Team") Happy he is on our team for a couple years.

Some drink deeply from the river of knowledge. Others only gargle. : Woody Allen
Nic16

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:28:10 PM »

Start up the jersey machine!!  Grin
Jesse

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 08:30:35 PM »

Jeff Hamilton is reporting 265k per season

Reasonable.

Though paying that and Biggie's is a huge chunk of the SMS.

Not complaining though, welcome back Willie!

My wife is amazing!
blueraid

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »

Kudos to Walters.....we retained a great player that will definitely make us a contender for the Cup in 2020....Yahooooooo  Luv ya Willie
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 08:32:02 PM »

Awesome

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
3rdand1.5

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 08:32:20 PM »

Just read 2 years at 260/yr
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 08:32:37 PM »

Free agency hasn't even started yet... And the defending champs are lookin' seriously set to defend that title.

Fantastic signing!

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
the.inkster

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 08:38:40 PM »

Great news!! I was surprised we managed to extend him for 2 years too!
BlueInCgy

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 08:40:14 PM »

Nice.  Surprised this one went the Bombers way.  Didn't see him going to the Argos without a large incentive, but Bombers vs. Ticats seemed like a pretty even money decision.

Glad you're staying Willie.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 08:40:28 PM »

YEE HAW!!! Walters going all in for another GC run this season! Love it, the twin towers back at DE! Smiley  Walters maybe becoming the next Huff?! Wink  What a vast difference around the team now compared to the train wreck he and O'Shea inherited all those years ago. 
ichabod_crane

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »

Nice.  Surprised this one went the Bombers way.  Didn't see him going to the Argos without a large incentive, but Bombers vs. Ticats seemed like a pretty even money decision.

Glad you're staying Willie.

When I saw the Ti-Cats resigned incumbent DE Davis I figured Willie was out of their picture anyway.
Pigskin

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 08:49:06 PM »

Nice deal for both sides. Welcome back Willie.
theaardvark

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 09:00:04 PM »

Woot!

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

AWESOME! The band is back! Willie you beast love to have you back bro!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »

This is stellar. Makes sense from the team's and the player's perspectives.

I haven't always been sold on the culture thing around this team. Nevertheless, I was wrong about that. This is what a winning team, a winning culture, and a class organization can achieve. Keep the good times rolling!

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Horseman

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 09:04:14 PM »

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT signing!!!!!!!
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 09:05:38 PM »

This has MADE MY DAY !!!!

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
the paw

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 09:05:46 PM »

That's a good number, given the interest and the other numbers being floated.  Still quite a large raise, but defensible.  

Happy to see him back.  

grab grass 'n growl
Jockitch

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 09:10:53 PM »

FANTASTIC ........ wonderful athlete to watch & he keeps the oomph in our Dline .......... can't wait for TC to start

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP BOUND

HUSTLE & MUSCLE IN "19"
blue girl

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 09:43:47 PM »

I love this news. Woo Hoo. Come on down to Winnipeg.
TBURGESS

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 09:58:08 PM »

Excellent... I've been holding my breath for a bit waiting for this announcement.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
GCn19

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 10:06:57 PM »

Right on..that should shut up the Rider fans. He's not a merc chasing the largest paycheque Priders...he just didnt like y'all.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 11:28:59 PM »

Course most Rider posters are saying we severely overpaid and should date our team this year. Pffft! Jealously wreaking there now. Smiley

pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 12:34:39 AM »

instantly makes us great on D and a good value to boot

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 12:41:55 AM »

Get some of that SMOKE!  Made my week guys... doing a happy dance.  $265k is a great deal for us, well worth the money.  the.inkster is right: the big news is "2 years".  That means Willie is more than just transient.  And that proves he really was "so tight with this team" and not just after the moolah.

Thanks so much Willie!!  Let's go rack up those W's.

Never go full Rider!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 01:36:00 AM »

Get some of that SMOKE!  Made my week guys... doing a happy dance.  $265k is a great deal for us, well worth the money.  the.inkster is right: the big news is "2 years".  That means Willie is more than just transient.  And that proves he really was "so tight with this team" and not just after the moolah.

Thanks so much Willie!!  Let's go rack up those W's.

I lol, forward to him cranking it up a notch!

DM83

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 02:13:52 AM »

Walters for Mayor!
Is there a bigger signing in Bomber history?
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2020, 02:18:04 AM »

Walters for Mayor!
Milt

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2020, 02:20:57 AM »

Walters for Mayor!

Nope.

But awesome
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2020, 02:53:15 AM »

Walters for Mayor!

Indian Jack? They say Winnipeg stadium was the house the jack built so there is that but he never won a GC. I would still say a equal signing because of what he ultimately did for the club.

Maybe Dunnigan but he didn?t get it done either. But it boosted the fan base and general club interest. But no.

Don Jonas perhaps? Loved the camera kissing babies and shaking hands and put up jaw dropping numbers but He couldn?t get it done either.

Milt? See above so not really

The Lincoln Locomotive was bigger as was Ploen in my opinion. They won multiple championships together.

Greg Battle? Equal signing unless WJ plays a big part in winning another.

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2020, 03:32:00 AM »

Excellent... I've been holding my breath for a bit waiting for this announcement.
Ditto!!!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2020, 04:27:49 AM »

I think the happiest person here should be Collaros.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2020, 04:39:21 AM »

Walters for Mayor!

Not since Bighill out of thin air, IMHO.  Don't discount what Biggie brings to the table.  Amazing how we've gone from laughable D in '14 to arguably the best D in '19.  I'd say we have the best DE, the best MLB... and we had the best DB (Rose).

Say it with me PJ... #1 D!   Wink Grin Grin Grin

Never go full Rider!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2020, 05:45:27 AM »

Well it seems there were posters on here who were dead right about Willies commitment to this franchise!   I was pretty hopeful he was returning but Willie showed his commitment to this city and franchise as some of you speculated....especially Techno.   Good on you!   It's refreshing to see a player of Willies caliber turn down the cash offers thrown his way, and sticking  with the franchise that provided him and his family what they needed....plus a GC.    Congratulations Willie and you will be a force for us once again.   It's a great time to be a Bomber fan!!

GCn19

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »

Personally, I never really doubted he would be back as long as we showed him some love.

bigbuff33

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »

A very big Mia Culpa...very big apology...egg on my face and I have no shame in admitting...

The culture which O'Shea, Walter and Miller have created...has players leaving $ on the table to stay here...

I wasn't sold on the apparent love in for Osh...but...

My bad...players want to play for the Bombers now...sign contract extensions to stay here...

Full credit to O'Shea, Walters and Miller.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2020, 12:18:57 AM »

Indian Jack? They say Winnipeg stadium was the house the jack built so there is that but he never won a GC. I would still say a equal signing because of what he ultimately did for the club.

Maybe Dunnigan but he didn?t get it done either. But it boosted the fan base and general club interest. But no.

Don Jonas perhaps? Loved the camera kissing babies and shaking hands and put up jaw dropping numbers but He couldn?t get it done either.

Milt? See above so not really

The Lincoln Locomotive was bigger as was Ploen in my opinion. They won multiple championships together.

Greg Battle? Equal signing unless WJ plays a big part in winning another.
I hear about Milt quite a lot and yes he was one of the greatest receivers in Bomber history never to win a Cup....which is a shame!   Leo Lewis back in the day was actually paid more by the Bombers than what he was offered down south.    He revolutionized the position as the CFL hadn't seen a running back with his combined skill sets and physical attributes.    When we first signed WJ last season and seeing how he had dismantled us in both the LDC and the Banjo Bowl I was pretty pumped.    Now, with his return and seeing how dominant of a player he is I'm even more pumped.    Fantastic news and all other CFL teams have Willie envy....book it!!

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2020, 01:00:25 AM »

I hear about Milt quite a lot and yes he was one of the greatest receivers in Bomber history never to win a Cup....which is a shame!   Leo Lewis back in the day was actually paid more by the Bombers than what he was offered down south.    He revolutionized the position as the CFL hadn't seen a running back with his combined skill sets and physical attributes.    When we first signed WJ last season and seeing how he had dismantled us in both the LDC and the Banjo Bowl I was pretty pumped.    Now, with his return and seeing how dominant of a player he is I'm even more pumped.    Fantastic news and all other CFL teams have Willie envy....book it!!
LOL I was waiting for your post LL heck it is Goldie giving Lewis the props he certainly deserves. I am as pumped as you buddy!

DM83

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2020, 01:33:09 AM »

We all should be pumped.
Best QB
Best DE
Best Rb
Best OT
Best kicker
Best O line

What did I miss?

TecnoGenius

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2020, 06:33:31 AM »

We all should be pumped.
Best QB
Best DE
Best Rb
Best OT
Best kicker
Best O line

What did I miss?

Best MIKE, even with his "down" year, once you factor in the on-field intangibles.

Maybe even best NAT receiver/RB (Demski).  That kid is coming on strong!

I'd strike off best QB... But certainly a very good QB (who we'll love forever for the GC win) when he's not seeing stars.

Never go full Rider!
booch

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »

Best MIKE, even with his "down" year, once you factor in the on-field intangibles.

Maybe even best NAT receiver/RB (Demski).  That kid is coming on strong!

I'd strike off best QB... But certainly a very good QB (who we'll love forever for the GC win) when he's not seeing stars.

I'd include best safety now with Alexander, and if not the second best end in Jeffcoat...the 3rd then, and quite possibly the best returner....Banks is good but he isn't a dedicated full-time return guy...and if you wanna really go crazy...best long snapper and 2 best special teams tacklers hahahaa
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2020, 02:41:39 PM »

LOL I was waiting for your post LL heck it is Goldie giving Lewis the props he certainly deserves. I am as pumped as you buddy!
Yes....I had to acknowledge another poster talking about the LL.   Fact is, only a handful of posters on this forum were fortunate enough to see him play in person.    Might have something to do with the fact that I'm pushing 70....lol!   I was starting to worry that I might leave this place before the Bombers won another GC.  To actually attend my very first GC ever....and witness the Bombers perform down to the man, in epic fashion, is a lifelong memory that will never fade.   

booch

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2020, 02:43:33 PM »

Yes....I had to acknowledge another poster talking about the LL.   Fact is, only a handful of posters on this forum were fortunate enough to see him play in person.    Might have something to do with the fact that I'm pushing 70....lol!   I was starting to worry that I might leave this place before the Bombers won another GC.  To actually attend my very first GC ever....and witness the Bombers perform down to the man, in epic fashion, is a lifelong memory that will never fade.   
Truly think you have a good chance to see a back to back Cup too...Not just talking with Blue goggles on either...depth and constancy of roster is gonna be a huge thing this year
blue_or_die

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »

Truly think you have a good chance to see a back to back Cup too...Not just talking with Blue goggles on either...depth and constancy of roster is gonna be a huge thing this year

The season often plays out differently than most can predict, with some players declining while other have new stars emerge, injuries, etc., but yes, on paper you cannot argue against us doing well to position ourselves for success this year.

I'm as optimistic as ever.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TBURGESS

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »

We all should be pumped.
Best QB
Best DE
Best Rb
Best OT
Best kicker
Best O line

What did I miss?
Best QB? OK homer. Collaros isn't even in the top 4.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Go Big Blue

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2020, 03:17:50 PM »

Best Coaches, Scouts & Executive

The Blue Cow Cream Play of the 107th Grey Cup - #3 Thiadric Hansen: One hit takes out two Tiger Cats.
GCn19

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »

Our season will hinge on our ability to keep Zac upright.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2020, 10:16:25 PM »

Best Coaches, Scouts & Executive

There you go!  Our Mafia is the Best Mafia!

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: