Blue Bombers Forum
July 15, 2020, 10:11:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Darvin Adams  (Read 4671 times)
Ducky

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 04:00:21 AM »

I think Lawler will be a breakout receiver this year.  Adams will be fine as the #2 receiver (and a great blocker)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 04:14:51 AM »

I think Lawler will be a breakout receiver this year.  Adams will be fine as the #2 receiver (and a great blocker)
great point I am a real fan of Lawler. He could have a breakout year here.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pigskin

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 04:34:59 AM »

If DA can stay healthy this year, it would be a big bonus for the bombers.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 04:52:53 AM »

"I want to be in Winnipeg and I want to retire a Bomber."| Adams signs on for 3 more years - by Ed Tait

Darvin Adams was tempted. **** straight he was tempted. After all, that's what Canadian Football League free agency is all about: to seek out what opportunities - and the financial rewards that come with them -  might be out there.

Yet, in the end the veteran receiver opted to return to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and sign a three-year contract extension not just because the numbers on his paycheque were to his liking. There was something else in play beyond the dollars and cents.

"It's the guys in the locker room, that's basically what my decision came down to," said Adams in a conversation with bluebombers.com from his home in Canton, Mississippi not long after his return was announced on Sunday.

"It's a job, it's a business, for sure. But the way the guys in our locker room care about each other is definitely different. We don't look at each other as just football players, but people first. It's family-based. I have a lot of special relationships with the guys on this team."

That might sound corny, but there's a real value in being comfortable and familiar with your surroundings. That extends beyond the locker room to the coaches and staff, too. Adams did field other offers during the CFL's negotiating window, with the Ottawa REDBLACKS reportedly also making a serious pitch for the veteran receiver, who just turned 30 last month.

"I was very tempted. I have to take care of my kids," said Adams, who has three daughters aged 10, nine and six. "This is a business and it doesn't last forever. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what job somebody has in the organization, everybody is working to pay bills or take care of their family. I'm the same way. I want to take care of my kids and make sure I'm happy myself."

The 2019 season offered some extreme highs and lows for the veteran receiver. He missed five games due to injury and his numbers were also affected by playing pitch-and-catch with three different starting quarterbacks.

A thousand-yard receiver in 2017 and 2018, he finished the year with 47 catches for 549 yards and five touchdowns. But he was superb when it really mattered during the Bombers run to the Grey Cup. Adams had six catches for 105 yards and a 71-yard touchdown in the Western Semi-Final win over the Calgary Stampeders and a week later pulled in eight catches for 93 yards in the Western Final victory over the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He then had three receptions for 11 yards in the Grey Cup decision over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and even completed a 13-yard pass to quarterback Chris Streveler.

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 05:03:28 AM »

Adams is good and I can see him and Collaros connecting regularly.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 05:03:42 AM »

Nice posting Modadmin

kkc60

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 05:35:25 AM »

He is our #1 just not a lights out top receiver (i define top as league leaders / top 5 maybe?).  Please quote me where I didn't say he was a #1.
He is a 1000 yard guy.  He will never lead the league but he will never let us down.  This thread isn't about me its about Adams.  Lets talk about him please.

Yes I'll continue to defend him.  The thread you are bringing up is one where someone said he the worst starting receiver in the league, which was ridiculous. I see a guy who can be top 10 but injuries have prevented that.

Great contribution Your characterization of Lapos offense is over simplified and generalized.

He wasn't a 1000 yard receiver this year. We will see. I like bringing him back, but I'm not too confident in him just because of injuries in the past and the fact he had a down year AND is the dreaded 3-0
TecnoGenius

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 06:17:16 AM »

He reminds me of a Terrence Edwards. Very good but not great.

Yes, a lot like Edwards!

"I want to be in Winnipeg and I want to retire a Bomber."| Adams signs on for 3 more years - by Ed Tait

I'm very happy we got Adams for 3.  Very happy WFC is giving him that respect.  Very happy for the continuity and obvious chemistry.  Very happy to hear Adams is in tune with the locker room.  Very happy Lapo wanted him as that is proof of his value.

Adams  new deal comes in around $140,000 per season to stay with the Blue and Gold

Very happy he probably came at a very decent price.  I'm surprised Lapo's bid for him didn't make him up his ask.  I bet Lapo was a bit higher $$ but he took a small cut to stay here.  Smart move Darvin!

100% happy to see Adams make WFC top-10 stats soon and retire a Bomber in 3-5 years.  It's certainly feasible he breaks 1000 in 2020.

Also, with the new vet-fakenat rules, Adams is very handy as a DI if we ever feel a young IMP is better to start.  He'll be able to sub in for any WR on the field should they get injured, and any IMP even if they aren't injured.

Yes!  Lawler might actually be a real-deal star WR... another 1-2 years should tease that out of him if it's there.  Love his Dressler-esque zone pick-aparts.  But Collaros has to learn to read when he's not open and being baited!  Boy did we get away with some shoulda-been-ints in that 4 game run... many to Lawler in zone.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:28:20 AM by TecnoGenius » Logged

Never go full Rider!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 01:42:40 PM »

I know we do agree on a few items but I think he should and could be a better player. He tends to do disappearing acts in games as well. Maybe without Lapo around to dink and dunk he will se. more mid to long crossing patterns for example. Maybe Buck can improve him that angle.

When you consider the fact that the offense has been run first for the vast majority of his time as a Bomber, I'm not sure what more you could expect from him "to be better."

He's compiled over 4200 yards with this team over 69 games, which is an average of 60+ yards per game. If not for his injury in 2016, he'd have posted three straight 1000 yard seasons. He's caught roughly 57% of the passes directed at him, and that number is likely higher if not for QB injuries in 2015 and 2018. He's a good blocker, he puts up solid YAC, and has become a leader on this team. What more would you like from him exactly?

While he's probably not a top calibre elite WR1, he's at worst a top calibre elite WR2. One could even argue he's a WR1B. He does it all.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »

Darvin has size...decent speed...he is far better than Chris Mathews who everyone was so happy in having here...who really was a dud..

He is going to be great with ZC
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »

When you consider the fact that the offense has been run first for the vast majority of his time as a Bomber, I'm not sure what more you could expect from him "to be better."

He's compiled over 4200 yards with this team over 69 games, which is an average of 60+ yards per game. If not for his injury in 2016, he'd have posted three straight 1000 yard seasons. He's caught roughly 57% of the passes directed at him, and that number is likely higher if not for QB injuries in 2015 and 2018. He's a good blocker, he puts up solid YAC, and has become a leader on this team. What more would you like from him exactly?

While he's probably not a top calibre elite WR1, he's at worst a top calibre elite WR2. One could even argue he's a WR1B. He does it all.
He had some drops at key moments last year. I would like him to eliminate those.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 02:08:37 PM »

He had some drops at key moments last year. I would like him to eliminate those.

Name a receiver who hasn't had drops at inopportune times. That's like saying a QB shouldn't throw picks. It happens.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
theaardvark

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 02:11:02 PM »

Adams is a "200ft" player to borrow a hockey term.  He is good one either end of the ball (pretty sure he has a perfect passer rating), can catch the deep ball, and blocks with passion. 

Love, love, love that he wants to retire a Bomber...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »

adams is solid...and key signing...Brings a lot to the table, and in the room...guy would have been a thousand yard guy every year hear if not for injuries...and at 140k thats a steal...still allows us to go after a Rhymes type guy, who I think in a sound situation will light it up...Lawler appears to be the up and coming number 1...Dravin is a nice piece to compliment that, and let the incumbants fight it out with Ryhmes for the 3rd spot to go with Woli and Demski
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 03:06:32 PM »

Adams is a "200ft" player to borrow a hockey term.  He is good one either end of the ball (pretty sure he has a perfect passer rating), can catch the deep ball, and blocks with passion. 

Love, love, love that he wants to retire a Bomber...

That's a really good analogy. He's the complete package as far I'm concerned. He does everything that is asked of him - and does it very well.

The comparison to Edwards may be premature at this point but you can see the parallels between the two in terms of overall skill set and key intangibles. 

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: