Blue Bombers Forum
February 19, 2020, 07:25:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Darvin Adams  (Read 2276 times)
4everalonghair

« on: February 09, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »

TSN reporting a 3 year extension
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 08:00:39 PM »

Good. He needs to be more consistent though.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:42:04 PM »

It's official....

Blue Bombers agree to terms on contract extension with receiver Darvin Adams

WINNIPEG, MB., February 9, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the team has agreed to terms with wide receiver Darvin Adams on a three-year contract extension, keeping Adams in Blue and Gold through 2022.

Adams (6-2, 201, Auburn) had been scheduled to become a free agent on February 11, but is now locked up through the 2022 Canadian Football League season. The 2020 campaign will mark the 30-year-old's sixth with the Blue Bombers since joining the club in 2015 after two years with the Toronto Argonauts.

An injury limited Adams to 13 games in 2019 and he finished the year with 47 catches for 549 yards and five touchdowns, ending a streak of back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons in 2017 and 2018.

The veteran receiver was especially effective in the Bombers' push to a championship, making some critical catches in three playoff games leading up to and including the Grey Cup. Adams had six catches for 105 yards and a 71-yard touchdown in the Western Semi-Final win over the Calgary Stampeders and a week later, pulled in eight catches for 93 yards in the Western Final victory over the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He then had three receptions for 11 yards in the Grey Cup decision over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and even completed a 13-yard pass to quarterback Chris Streveler.

He has 296 receptions for 4,226 yards as a Bomber, ranking him just outside the franchise's Top 10 in both categories. He also has 34 touchdowns as a Bomber.

Adams is a two-time West Division All-Star (2017, 2018) and was a CFL Players Association All-Star in 2017.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:13:02 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 08:49:22 PM »

Walters is checking them off...Darvin can be a very different threat with ZC...

OL Michael Couture (N)
DL Willie Jefferson (I)
DL Drake Nevis (I)
DL Craig Roh (I)
LB Korey Jones (I)
LB Thomas Miles (N)
DB Chandler Fenner (I)
DB Jeff Hecht (N)
DB Derek Jones (N)

Is all we have left...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:51:25 PM by The Zipp » Logged
blue girl

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »

For me this is a great signing. He seems to have chemistry with Collaros which was probably a factor. Apparently it was down to Ottawa and Winnipeg so I guess he would rather catch passes from Collaros than Arbuckle. I'm glad LaPo didn't lure him away.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:04:51 PM »

I really like his grit. We needed one receiver and with him signed on I wouldn't expect us to target any higher end receivers in FA

We should start the season off well, as we have a minimal roster turn over.

QB depth could be a concern, replacing the losses in the secondary could be a concern in particular if we have any injuries, and our D-line rotation could be a concern, as IMO T.O will outbid us or anyone else for Willie.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 02:42:58 AM »

He's been the team's most consistent receiver since he signed here in 2015. This is a great signing.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 02:43:46 AM »

He's been the team's most consistent receiver since he signed here in 2015. This is a great signing.
maybe that?s not saying much. No more big drops.

pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 02:48:19 AM »

Amazing!!!
Nah he has been fine

maybe that?s not saying much. No more big drops.
Nah he has great hands
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:50:15 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 02:57:10 AM »

He reminds me of a Terrence Edwards. Very good but not great. Especially towards to end of Edwards run here. I love Terrence but he dropped a few as well. I am not saying he is terrible but hope he just catches more balls as opposed to dropping them. Great WR blocker as well. No question there.

pjrocksmb

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 03:00:02 AM »

He reminds me of a Terrence Edwards. Very good but not great. Especially towards to end of Edwards run here. I love Terrence but he dropped a few as well. I am not saying he is terrible but hope he just catches more balls as opposed to dropping them. Great WR blocker as well. No question there.
You and many on here just can't get past he isnt and never will be a top receiver.  He is just below that and TE was great as well.

This signing is an amazing value and he will be a career Bomber.  Great job by management.  Love this guy.  Even better than Denny lol.

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 03:02:28 AM »

I know we do agree on a few items but I think he should and could be a better player. He tends to do disappearing acts in games as well. Maybe without Lapo around to dink and dunk he will se. more mid to long crossing patterns for example. Maybe Buck can improve him that angle.

kkc60

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 03:07:09 AM »

You and many on here just can't get past he isnt and never will be a top receiver.  He is just below that and TE was great as well.

This signing is an amazing value and he will be a career Bomber.  Great job by management.  Love this guy.  Even better than Denny lol.
You literally have litteres threads where people say "he's not a #1 receiver" with different defenses for him
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 03:09:32 AM »

You literally have litteres threads where people say "he's not a #1 receiver" with different defenses for him
lol shocking!

pjrocksmb

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 03:10:02 AM »

He is our #1 just not a lights out top receiver (i define top as league leaders / top 5 maybe?).  Please quote me where I didn't say he was a #1.
He is a 1000 yard guy.  He will never lead the league but he will never let us down.  This thread isn't about me its about Adams.  Lets talk about him please.

Yes I'll continue to defend him.  The thread you are bringing up is one where someone said he the worst starting receiver in the league, which was ridiculous. I see a guy who can be top 10 but injuries have prevented that.

lol shocking!
Great contribution
I know we do agree on a few items but I think he should and could be a better player. He tends to do disappearing acts in games as well. Maybe without Lapo around to dink and dunk he will se. more mid to long crossing patterns for example. Maybe Buck can improve him that angle.
Your characterization of Lapos offense is over simplified and generalized.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:25:39 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

Ducky

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 04:00:21 AM »

I think Lawler will be a breakout receiver this year.  Adams will be fine as the #2 receiver (and a great blocker)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 04:14:51 AM »

I think Lawler will be a breakout receiver this year.  Adams will be fine as the #2 receiver (and a great blocker)
great point I am a real fan of Lawler. He could have a breakout year here.

Pigskin

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 04:34:59 AM »

If DA can stay healthy this year, it would be a big bonus for the bombers.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 04:52:53 AM »

"I want to be in Winnipeg and I want to retire a Bomber."| Adams signs on for 3 more years - by Ed Tait

Darvin Adams was tempted. **** straight he was tempted. After all, that's what Canadian Football League free agency is all about: to seek out what opportunities - and the financial rewards that come with them -  might be out there.

Yet, in the end the veteran receiver opted to return to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and sign a three-year contract extension not just because the numbers on his paycheque were to his liking. There was something else in play beyond the dollars and cents.

"It's the guys in the locker room, that's basically what my decision came down to," said Adams in a conversation with bluebombers.com from his home in Canton, Mississippi not long after his return was announced on Sunday.

"It's a job, it's a business, for sure. But the way the guys in our locker room care about each other is definitely different. We don't look at each other as just football players, but people first. It's family-based. I have a lot of special relationships with the guys on this team."

That might sound corny, but there's a real value in being comfortable and familiar with your surroundings. That extends beyond the locker room to the coaches and staff, too. Adams did field other offers during the CFL's negotiating window, with the Ottawa REDBLACKS reportedly also making a serious pitch for the veteran receiver, who just turned 30 last month.

"I was very tempted. I have to take care of my kids," said Adams, who has three daughters aged 10, nine and six. "This is a business and it doesn't last forever. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what job somebody has in the organization, everybody is working to pay bills or take care of their family. I'm the same way. I want to take care of my kids and make sure I'm happy myself."

The 2019 season offered some extreme highs and lows for the veteran receiver. He missed five games due to injury and his numbers were also affected by playing pitch-and-catch with three different starting quarterbacks.

A thousand-yard receiver in 2017 and 2018, he finished the year with 47 catches for 549 yards and five touchdowns. But he was superb when it really mattered during the Bombers run to the Grey Cup. Adams had six catches for 105 yards and a 71-yard touchdown in the Western Semi-Final win over the Calgary Stampeders and a week later pulled in eight catches for 93 yards in the Western Final victory over the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He then had three receptions for 11 yards in the Grey Cup decision over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and even completed a 13-yard pass to quarterback Chris Streveler.

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 05:03:28 AM »

Adams is good and I can see him and Collaros connecting regularly.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 05:03:42 AM »

Nice posting Modadmin

kkc60

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 05:35:25 AM »

He is our #1 just not a lights out top receiver (i define top as league leaders / top 5 maybe?).  Please quote me where I didn't say he was a #1.
He is a 1000 yard guy.  He will never lead the league but he will never let us down.  This thread isn't about me its about Adams.  Lets talk about him please.

Yes I'll continue to defend him.  The thread you are bringing up is one where someone said he the worst starting receiver in the league, which was ridiculous. I see a guy who can be top 10 but injuries have prevented that.

Great contribution Your characterization of Lapos offense is over simplified and generalized.

He wasn't a 1000 yard receiver this year. We will see. I like bringing him back, but I'm not too confident in him just because of injuries in the past and the fact he had a down year AND is the dreaded 3-0
TecnoGenius

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 06:17:16 AM »

He reminds me of a Terrence Edwards. Very good but not great.

Yes, a lot like Edwards!

"I want to be in Winnipeg and I want to retire a Bomber."| Adams signs on for 3 more years - by Ed Tait

I'm very happy we got Adams for 3.  Very happy WFC is giving him that respect.  Very happy for the continuity and obvious chemistry.  Very happy to hear Adams is in tune with the locker room.  Very happy Lapo wanted him as that is proof of his value.

Adams  new deal comes in around $140,000 per season to stay with the Blue and Gold

Very happy he probably came at a very decent price.  I'm surprised Lapo's bid for him didn't make him up his ask.  I bet Lapo was a bit higher $$ but he took a small cut to stay here.  Smart move Darvin!

100% happy to see Adams make WFC top-10 stats soon and retire a Bomber in 3-5 years.  It's certainly feasible he breaks 1000 in 2020.

Also, with the new vet-fakenat rules, Adams is very handy as a DI if we ever feel a young IMP is better to start.  He'll be able to sub in for any WR on the field should they get injured, and any IMP even if they aren't injured.

Yes!  Lawler might actually be a real-deal star WR... another 1-2 years should tease that out of him if it's there.  Love his Dressler-esque zone pick-aparts.  But Collaros has to learn to read when he's not open and being baited!  Boy did we get away with some shoulda-been-ints in that 4 game run... many to Lawler in zone.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:28:20 AM by TecnoGenius » Logged

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 01:42:40 PM »

When you consider the fact that the offense has been run first for the vast majority of his time as a Bomber, I'm not sure what more you could expect from him "to be better."

He's compiled over 4200 yards with this team over 69 games, which is an average of 60+ yards per game. If not for his injury in 2016, he'd have posted three straight 1000 yard seasons. He's caught roughly 57% of the passes directed at him, and that number is likely higher if not for QB injuries in 2015 and 2018. He's a good blocker, he puts up solid YAC, and has become a leader on this team. What more would you like from him exactly?

While he's probably not a top calibre elite WR1, he's at worst a top calibre elite WR2. One could even argue he's a WR1B. He does it all.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »

Darvin has size...decent speed...he is far better than Chris Mathews who everyone was so happy in having here...who really was a dud..

He is going to be great with ZC
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »

When you consider the fact that the offense has been run first for the vast majority of his time as a Bomber, I'm not sure what more you could expect from him "to be better."

He's compiled over 4200 yards with this team over 69 games, which is an average of 60+ yards per game. If not for his injury in 2016, he'd have posted three straight 1000 yard seasons. He's caught roughly 57% of the passes directed at him, and that number is likely higher if not for QB injuries in 2015 and 2018. He's a good blocker, he puts up solid YAC, and has become a leader on this team. What more would you like from him exactly?

While he's probably not a top calibre elite WR1, he's at worst a top calibre elite WR2. One could even argue he's a WR1B. He does it all.
He had some drops at key moments last year. I would like him to eliminate those.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 02:08:37 PM »

He had some drops at key moments last year. I would like him to eliminate those.

Name a receiver who hasn't had drops at inopportune times. That's like saying a QB shouldn't throw picks. It happens.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
theaardvark

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 02:11:02 PM »

Adams is a "200ft" player to borrow a hockey term.  He is good one either end of the ball (pretty sure he has a perfect passer rating), can catch the deep ball, and blocks with passion. 

Love, love, love that he wants to retire a Bomber...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »

adams is solid...and key signing...Brings a lot to the table, and in the room...guy would have been a thousand yard guy every year hear if not for injuries...and at 140k thats a steal...still allows us to go after a Rhymes type guy, who I think in a sound situation will light it up...Lawler appears to be the up and coming number 1...Dravin is a nice piece to compliment that, and let the incumbants fight it out with Ryhmes for the 3rd spot to go with Woli and Demski
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 03:06:32 PM »

Adams is a "200ft" player to borrow a hockey term.  He is good one either end of the ball (pretty sure he has a perfect passer rating), can catch the deep ball, and blocks with passion. 

That's a really good analogy. He's the complete package as far I'm concerned. He does everything that is asked of him - and does it very well.

The comparison to Edwards may be premature at this point but you can see the parallels between the two in terms of overall skill set and key intangibles. 

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Nic16

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2020, 03:31:16 PM »

A somewhat underrated receiver that does a lot of things very well. Having a not so old quality vet receiver around to show the young guys how to be a long time pro receiver in this league goes a long way in development.

Because the BB lack a ?big name? receiver and they?re a run first O, their receivers don?t get the respect they deserve. IMO, they really don?t need to add to this group. Instead, I would continue to develop the receivers they bring in and defer the cap $$ to ensuring you have a top end DL.
booch

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2020, 03:34:10 PM »

He's just a stand up guy all around...He left Auburn early to help support his family, and Auburn was caught up in some scandal type stuff  paying players...grade manipulating and got exposed for it..and there was a piece published about it that he spoke out about it in

Adams was offered and pressured to stay by coaches with offers of money and help in other ways...but hew chose to not be part of it...and it affected his draft stock as went un-drafted due to the Auburn coaches giving negative reports on him...greasy pricks

So I glad he got another 3 years of certainty..as best as it can be in the CFL as he could get cut at any moment...but still...one of reasons why his teamates respect him so much, and he is a leader...he's just as solid of a guy as you can get
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »

Don't be surprised if this movie doesn't have a "Disney ending" Aards, I like Darvin as much as anyone but he is naive if he thinks Walters will gift him 3 more years to finish out his career on his own terms.  He didn't do it for Dressler, why would he do it for Darvin?
theaardvark

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »

Don't be surprised if this movie doesn't have a "Disney ending" Aards, I like Darvin as much as anyone but he is naive if he thinks Walters will gift him 3 more years to finish out his career on his own terms.  He didn't do it for Dressler, why would he do it for Darvin?

Adams has said he wants to retire a Bomber, he got 3 years on this deal.  As long as he continues to produce and contribute, no reason he doesn't end his career here.

Pretty sure Dressler played his last game as a Bomber... not sure what you mean about "finishing his career on his own terms", if that means paying a guy who can't earn a spot, there aren't many teams I've ever heard of that do that...

Adams can play in Blue and Gold until he can't play...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Nic16

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »

IMO, Adams appears to be the exact opposite of naive. And I think some people forget that countless receivers  have had very successful seasons while in their 30?s. And Adams will be just 32 in the 3rd year of his contract.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2020, 04:19:47 PM »

What does this even mean? Adams just signed a team-friendly deal to stay here and continue playing with his teammates and coaches. By the time this deal is up, he'll be going on 33. By then, it's not out of the realm of possibility to see him take a year-to-year approach and remain here for a fair price.

Your comparison to Dressler makes no sense. Dressler was never a career Blue Bomber.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »

What does this even mean? Adams just signed a team-friendly deal to stay here and continue playing with his teammates and coaches. By the time this deal is up, he'll be going on 33. By then, it's not out of the realm of possibility to see him take a year-to-year approach and remain here for a fair price.

Your comparison to Dressler makes no sense. Dressler was never a career Blue Bomber.

The point is Darvin will be paid to play football this year for $140,000, next off-season his services will be re-evaluated against others and it will be determined if he is given another opportunity to earn $140,000 more.  His 3 year deal signifies nothing more than a promise he's made to play for the Bombers for a fixed amount and time period who have no actual obligation to honour or respect his intention.

The moment another receivers steps up and blows the doors off T.C. Darvin's career plan is on the clock.  This is not disparaging Darvin in any way, it's the reality for all players in the CFL. 

Nic16

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2020, 05:06:38 PM »

The point is Darvin will be paid to play football this year for $140,000, next off-season his services will be re-evaluated against others and it will be determined if he is given another opportunity to earn $140,000 more.  His 3 year deal signifies nothing more than a promise he's made to play for the Bombers for a fixed amount and time period who have no actual obligation to honour or respect his intention.

The moment another receivers steps up and blows the doors off T.C. Darvin's career plan is on the clock.  This is not disparaging Darvin in any way, it's the reality for all players in the CFL. 

So in other words, the same for every other player in the league no matter the length of their contract. All players would be naive to think otherwise.
theaardvark

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »

Still, don't understand your point.  He wants to play here until he doesn't play anymore.  If he can play well enough to make a CFL roster, he wants that to be the WFC.  Will he take a last kick at the can once he is beaten out in WPG?  By signing a deal with a team that doesn't have as much talent on its roster as WPG?  Sounds like he doesn't want to do that... 

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »

So in other words, the same for every other player in the league no matter the length of their contract. All players would be naive to think otherwise.

Yes, the story-line about playing for less and ending his career with the Bombers in 3 years time is nothing but fluff, when Ards gets hold of fluff he tends to spin it into candy floss.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:34:57 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »

I'll be the first to admit to calling out Aardsy on his silly commentary, but in this case, he hasn't said anything necessarily wrong or inaccurate.

Adams wants to retire a Bomber. The WFC wants to keep him around and values him to the point he was signed long-term. It seems like a mutually agreeable set of circumstances and there's nothing to suggest otherwise right now.

It's hardly fluff when that's the exact thing that happened. Adams took less money to stay with this organization long-term.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
kkc60

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2020, 05:25:25 PM »

I will be surprised if we see this extension expire. Especially if it gets pricey near the end or play drops off. But we will see
the paw

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2020, 05:52:47 PM »

I'll be the first to admit to calling out Aardsy on his silly commentary, but in this case, he hasn't said anything necessarily wrong or inaccurate.

Adams wants to retire a Bomber. The WFC wants to keep him around and values him to the point he was signed long-term. It seems like a mutually agreeable set of circumstances and there's nothing to suggest otherwise right now.

It's hardly fluff when that's the exact thing that happened. Adams took less money to stay with this organization long-term.

Took less?  How much more than $140k could a receiver coming off a 549 yard season command?  Derel Walker, Devarius Daniels, Posey, Rhymes, Roosevelt and Tasker are all hitting the market at the same time.  Virtually all of them are 1000 yard guys. 

I am happy to have Adams back, but this is no hometown discount, this is fair value. 

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2020, 06:04:08 PM »

Took less?  How much more than $140k could a receiver coming off a 549 yard season command?  Derel Walker, Devarius Daniels, Posey, Rhymes, Roosevelt and Tasker are all hitting the market at the same time.  Virtually all of them are 1000 yard guys. 

I am happy to have Adams back, but this is no hometown discount, this is fair value. 

I know, consider the source, but still...

John Hodge@JohnDHodge

Per source, Darvin Adams turned down more money from the Ottawa Redblacks to remain in Winnipeg. #Bombers #Redblacks #CFL #CFLFA

Ted Wyman@Ted_Wyman

Have heard the Ottawa #Redblacks, coached by former Bombers OC Paul LaPolice, were "all-in" on Darvin Adams, so #Bombers likely had to give him a decent bump to keep him around for three years.

$140k for a proven vet WR isn't bad... no deep discount, but I'm sure Lapo was willing to offer more...

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »

Yes, it makes perfect sense to base your argument off nothing more than his receiving yards total... Roll Eyes

I'd argue he could've got more on the open market. Because there's more to his game than just the total yards he put up in one season. That being said, I don't know how much more.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
booch

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »

You recall he missed 5 games...played hurt in several others, and had revolving door of QB's all season on a run heavy offense...right?? has scored 28 td 53 games over the last 4 years...basically finds the endzone every other game

and taking less...is taking less...not much confusion there
the paw

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2020, 06:59:11 PM »

Yes, it makes perfect sense to base your argument off nothing more than his receiving yards total... Roll Eyes

I'd argue he could've got more on the open market. Because there's more to his game than just the total yards he put up in one season. That being said, I don't know how much more.

I have this illusion that the thoughtfulness of my posts over time will lend a credibility that transcends the notion that I would simply rely on a yardage count.  Apparently not.

I like Darvin Adams, and I'm sure you do too.  Neither one of us would claim for a minute that he is a more productive receiving weapon than Daniels, Walker or Posey.  You can argue that you would rather have him than Roosevelt or Tasker, due to blocking excellence, nobility of character or other intangibles.  I might even agree with you.

At the end of the day though, with this number of top end receivers hitting the market at once, the price is coming down.  SJ Green (another 1000 yd guy) went to the XFL because the market for veteran receivers is soft.   I think $140k is fair value

grab grass 'n growl
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »

I think $140k is fair value

Nobody argued it isn't fair value. However, I maintain he could've got more on the open market, even if the increase weren't some exorbitant amount. That's the basis for my saying he took less to stay here on a longer deal.

To be clear, I am merely speculating. No differently than you are by saying Green went to the XFL because the market for veteran receivers is soft.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
booch

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2020, 07:14:29 PM »

Nobody argued it isn't fair value. However, I maintain he could've got more on the open market, even if the increase weren't some exorbitant amount. That's the basis for my saying he took less to stay here on a longer deal.

To be clear, I am merely speculating. No differently than you are by saying Green went to the XFL because the market for veteran receivers is soft.

well it even softer in the XFL...He will be lucky if he makes half of what he could have in CFL...He prob is looking to hang em up and maybe wanted to play last season in Florida where he from in front of family
the paw

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2020, 07:19:03 PM »

I got that from a Matthew Scianitti tweet.  I agree with Booch, he probably was looking at a paycut in a soft market, and instead took less money for a short season close to home.  And one that might get him started coaching with Trestman.

grab grass 'n growl
pjrocksmb

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2020, 12:42:53 AM »

He wasn't a 1000 yard receiver this year. We will see. I like bringing him back, but I'm not too confident in him just because of injuries in the past and the fact he had a down year AND is the dreaded 3-0
He was fine last year and when healthy will break 1000 yards.  His production will depend on the success of our QB. 

Name a receiver who hasn't had drops at inopportune times. That's like saying a QB shouldn't throw picks. It happens.
yup

career Bomber...........AWESOME------they better don't give him the Denny treatment LOL
adams is solid...and key signing...Brings a lot to the table, and in the room...guy would have been a thousand yard guy every year hear if not for injuries...and at 140k thats a steal...still allows us to go after a Rhymes type guy, who I think in a sound situation will light it up...Lawler appears to be the up and coming number 1...Dravin is a nice piece to compliment that, and let the incumbants fight it out with Ryhmes for the 3rd spot to go with Woli and Demski
agree, he is proven, reliable and great value
You recall he missed 5 games...played hurt in several others, and had revolving door of QB's all season on a run heavy offense...right?? has scored 28 td 53 games over the last 4 years...basically finds the endzone every other game

and taking less...is taking less...not much confusion there
you are bang on, people like to forget key facts like you have pointed out when they are critical of players they don't favour
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:47:14 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

kkc60

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2020, 01:49:48 AM »

He was fine last year and when healthy will break 1000 yards.  His production will depend on the success of our QB. 
yupcareer Bomber...........AWESOME------they better don't give him the Denny treatment LOLagree, he is proven, reliable and great valueyou are bang on, people like to forget key facts like you have pointed out when they are critical of players they don't favour
Exactly, he was fine. Hope he has a bounceback year because "fine" won't cut it if he is our #2.

And also he was on the Argos before coming here
TecnoGenius

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2020, 07:13:00 AM »

At the end of the day though, with this number of top end receivers hitting the market at once, the price is coming down.  SJ Green (another 1000 yd guy) went to the XFL because the market for veteran receivers is soft.   I think $140k is fair value

Which is baffling (if true) because the entire FAKENAT (soon to be) fiasco was put in place to make those vets (like aging WRs) more attractive!

Did SJ not get any CFL calls in the tamper window??  Huh?  Why didn't we call him up and make him a $125k offer?  I'd take him as a FAKENAT DI that can sub in for an injured Demski/Woli, as well as for Adams/Lawler/Bailey!!

SJ is one of the last "legends" of that era in the CFL, and he obviously still has the hands.  Very bizarre and sad to lose him to the soon-to-be-defunct XFL.

pjrocksmb

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2020, 02:39:53 AM »

Exactly, he was fine. Hope he has a bounceback year because "fine" won't cut it if he is our #2.

And also he was on the Argos before coming here
No we are not agreeing on the definition of fine.  You are trying to paint him have a poor year which he didn't.  He was hurt and his production was limited because of our QB situation and offensive style.  He will be a key component to our offense and get 1000 yards.  I'm "fine" with that.  Zach will sling it to him just "fine" lol.  Your points don't hold up here, imo.

You are right about the Argos.  Didn't know that.  And yes I hope he has #1 numbers, which is very possible but we will likely have an offensive system that does it by committee.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 02:46:13 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

kkc60

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2020, 03:05:04 AM »

No we are not agreeing on the definition of fine.  You are trying to paint him have a poor year which he didn't.  He was hurt and his production was limited because of our QB situation and offensive style.  He will be a key component to our offense and get 1000 yards.  I'm "fine" with that.  Zach will sling it to him just "fine" lol.  Your points don't hold up here, imo.

You are right about the Argos.  Didn't know that.  And yes I hope he has #1 numbers, which is very possible but we will likely have an offensive system that does it by committee.
He even admitted he could have done more.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/02/09/want-winnipeg-want-retire-bomber-adams-signs-3-years/

We will see but his numbers this year weren't good. Plain and simple. Especially not for a #2. That needs to change if he is our #2 receiver
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2020, 03:36:18 AM »

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/02/09/want-winnipeg-want-retire-bomber-adams-signs-3-years/

We will see but his numbers this year weren't good. Plain and simple. Especially not for a #2. That needs to change if he is our #2 receiver

I?m with kk on this topic.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2020, 06:18:03 AM »

I'm mostly with PJ.  Grin  The 6(?) games with Strev starting really put a damper on what Adams could achieve in '19.  Lapo was just never going to call those deep balls to Adams.  Add in that Strev+AH were rushing more than half the downs, even with Collaros in, and it left little room for Adams.

Not sure if he'll get 1000 in 2020, but his odds are certainly higher than last year.

My only qualm with Adams is his hands aren't as good as they used to be and he's a bit slower than before and rarely lays out.  He's still a good route runner, blocker, trash-talker, and that move on that Stamps DB in CGY for the big TD was saaawwweeeeet.  But those are minor nitpicks and there's no reason Adams can't be a CFL top-10 WR.  They all can't be Burnham.  Will Lawler have more yards than Adams in 2020?  I wouldn't bet money on it.  I'd say they'll end roughly the same.

Oh ya, and $140k is an amazing deal for what he's going to do for us.

pjrocksmb

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2020, 12:44:03 PM »

This is where we disagree.  He can be a #1. You are focused on the numbers but there is more than just the stats here to consider.  He averages around 1000 yards.
 Good enough for girls I go with.
I'm mostly with PJ.  Grin  The 6(?) games with Strev starting really put a damper on what Adams could achieve in '19.  Lapo was just never going to call those deep balls to Adams.  Add in that Strev+AH were rushing more than half the downs, even with Collaros in, and it left little room for Adams.

Not sure if he'll get 1000 in 2020, but his odds are certainly higher than last year.

My only qualm with Adams is his hands aren't as good as they used to be and he's a bit slower than before and rarely lays out.  He's still a good route runner, blocker, trash-talker, and that move on that Stamps DB in CGY for the big TD was saaawwweeeeet.  But those are minor nitpicks and there's no reason Adams can't be a CFL top-10 WR.  They all can't be Burnham.  Will Lawler have more yards than Adams in 2020?  I wouldn't bet money on it.  I'd say they'll end roughly the same.

Oh ya, and $140k is an amazing deal for what he's going to do for us.

Props.  Good analysis.

GCn19

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2020, 12:53:47 PM »

Darvin can still take the top off of a defence. He is currently our only really true deep threat. He struggled at times last year but really had a great stretch run when we needed him the most. The Paw is correct that the market is soft for vets right now because there were an unusually high number available and that helped us secure him to a favorable contract.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2020, 01:33:10 PM »

Of course he'd admit that. Most professional athletes tend to say that they could be better. Using confirmation bias doesn't necessarily justify your stance.

You ignore the fact the passing attack in 2019 was below average with Nichols and then pretty much abysmal with Streveler. You ignore the fact the team's QB position was messy at best prior to Collaros' acquisition. You also ignore the fact he missed about a month of gameplay due to injury.

Adams would be the first to say he struggled last season but the bigger picture needs to be taken into account here in order to objectively criticize his 2019 stats.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
kkc60

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »

Of course he'd admit that. Most professional athletes tend to say that they could be better. Using confirmation bias doesn't necessarily justify your stance.

You ignore the fact the passing attack in 2019 was below average with Nichols and then pretty much abysmal with Streveler. You ignore the fact the team's QB position was messy at best prior to Collaros' acquisition. You also ignore the fact he missed about a month of gameplay due to injury.

Adams would be the first to say he struggled last season but the bigger picture needs to be taken into account here in order to objectively criticize his 2019 stats.
Whitehead missed time too. Ditto Lawler. Demski too.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm simply saying his stats weren't good last year. Of course there are reasons that aren't in his control but that doesn't change the fact he statistically had a down year. Have I said he's bad? No. Have I said we shouldn't have re-signed him? No.

Sometimes y'all get so busy defending guys that you don't even realize what people are saying. If we have a stable QB situation, Adams should put up better numbers (not including injury of course), especially if he is expected to be our #2.

Is that okay to say?
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2020, 04:32:22 PM »

Darvin can still take the top off of a defence. He is currently our only really true deep threat. He struggled at times last year but really had a great stretch run when we needed him the most. The Paw is correct that the market is soft for vets right now because there were an unusually high number available and that helped us secure him to a favorable contract.

You forgot about Demski, he hit a few home-runs last year and I expect we'll see more of that this year.  Also if they can figure out how to use Lucky properly he may light up the score-board a few times. 
bluengold204

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2020, 04:41:44 PM »

I'm not ignoring it, I'm simply saying his stats weren't good last year. Of course there are reasons that aren't in his control but that doesn't change the fact he statistically had a down year. Have I said he's bad? No. Have I said we shouldn't have re-signed him? No.

Sometimes y'all get so busy defending guys that you don't even realize what people are saying. If we have a stable QB situation, Adams should put up better numbers (not including injury of course), especially if he is expected to be our #2.

Is that okay to say?

Always thought Adams was suppose to be our #1 lol, who is #1 if he is #2 then?
BlueInCgy

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »

Reality is I think the offense will have a different look to it if Collaros is at the helm for the duration of the season.  I think that will benefit Adams, Woli, Demski, and Lawler as there will likely be a shift in the balance of the offense to the passing game moreso than the last few years.  It will also likely indirectly benefit Harris, as he won't need to take quite the abuse.

Point being - we probably have to wait and see if DA is a difference maker in 2020.
theaardvark

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2020, 04:44:11 PM »

Have to wonder how much Lapo will be in Bucks O.  And how much it will be his.

Buck has worked with/under a number of different coaches with different systems.  It would be easy just to keep everything the same, sure, but I think he will want to put his stamp on the O.  

GCn19

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »

You forgot about Demski, he hit a few home-runs last year and I expect we'll see more of that this year.  Also if they can figure out how to use Lucky properly he may light up the score-board a few times. 

ALL receivers are capable of getting loose deep occasionally with the right scheme. A legit deep threat guy in my definition is someone who can go downfield and win the 50/50 balls in coverage for you on a consistent basis. I certainly wasn't implying that he is the ONLY target we have that can make a deep play, but he's the best we got in coverage.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »

Reality is I think the offense will have a different look to it if Collaros is at the helm for the duration of the season.  I think that will benefit Adams, Woli, Demski, and Lawler as there will likely be a shift in the balance of the offense to the passing game moreso than the last few years.  It will also likely indirectly benefit Harris, as he won't need to take quite the abuse.

Point being - we probably have to wait and see if DA is a difference maker in 2020.

I expect we'll see more or less much of the same offence as last year, can't risk Zach's health by having him waiting in the pocket for deeper routes to clear, even the best O-line can only provide 2 Mississippi's consistently and Collaros gets rid of the ball quickly, much like Nichols did.  No reason on earth to move away from a model that has proved successful.
GCn19

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2020, 05:00:57 PM »

I expect we'll see more or less much of the same offence as last year, can't risk Zach's health by having him waiting in the pocket for deeper routes to clear, even the best O-line can only provide 2 Mississippi's consistently and Collaros gets rid of the ball quickly, much like Nichols did.  No reason on earth to move away from a model that has proved successful.

We will see a bunch more QB rolling out I would think, but other than that it will be a lot of short dump off passes. Something like 85% of the passes he threw with us last year were within 7 yards of the LOS. Everyone saying he played an entirely different style then Nichols but he really didn't. He just took better advantage of his downfield shots and was able to extend a few plays better than Nichols would have.

booch

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2020, 05:02:40 PM »

I think we will see our receivers used more in the traditional way, and that be in routes and clearing space for each other to make plays pushing ball down the field moreso than having at times more run support responsibility than actual use as a true receiving option..
GCn19

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2020, 05:03:59 PM »

I think we will see our receivers used more in the traditional way, and that be in routes and clearing space for each other to make plays pushing ball down the field moreso than having at times more run support responsibility than actual use as a true receiving option..

I don't know...as long as Harris is still capable our receivers are going to be doing a lot of downfield blocking.

booch

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »

I don't know...as long as Harris is still capable our receivers are going to be doing a lot of downfield blocking.
Actually using the receivers to spread the defense...not all cluster about in the flats, as well as be viewed as an actual option will give Harris way more room to work...Lapo for all his alleged wizadry, did a lot of things to almost hamper the things that worked, and notoriously mis-used players, and almost ignored players...I pretty much can say for a fact that if he had stayed..WOLI wasn't re-signing here...and likely part of the reason Adams didn't take more money to sign there
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »

That downfield blocking is a key component of this offence, the receivers have to have a nose for trouble, pretty boy prima-donna's that don't like to get dirty need not apply.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2020, 07:03:43 PM »

Always thought Adams was suppose to be our #1 lol, who is #1 if he is #2 then?
he is our #1

there is just a crowd out there that doesn't like him and rags on him b/c he isn't lights out good

very good is fine with me for our #1 and 1000 yards will do it

Tehedra

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2020, 07:41:12 PM »

he is our #1

there is just a crowd out there that doesn't like him and rags on him b/c he isn't lights out good

very good is fine with me for our #1 and 1000 yards will do it

Lawler impresses me a lot, it's very possible that Lawler steps up and Darvin becomes our number two.  In reality though, I expect we will have a mix of receivers all around similar yardage all expected to pull their weight within the game.  I prefer teams who spread out the ball more instead of focusing on a single receiver anyways
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2020, 08:11:59 PM »

Is that okay to say?

Yes, they all missed time. How's that relevant?

The offense's passing production stunk last season, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to see Adams' production dip markedly. And yet, he was still the team's second leading receiver and had the most receiving TDs. (https://www.bluebombers.com/team-stats/?stat_category=offence&season=2019)

I don't understand how pointing out statistics means I'm "busy defending" anyone or misinterpreting what you commented. I'm merely pointing out how the team's passing struggled across the board in 2019 and Adams was no exception in that regard.

He should bounce back in 2020 along with the offense's passing attack as a whole - as long as everyone can stay healthy. I expect Lawler and Bailey to progress, ideally taking the load off Adams who's at worst a 1B receiver.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
blue girl

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2020, 08:32:36 PM »

I have a feeling that Adams is going to be the guy getting all the criticism this year.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »

I have a feeling that Adams is going to be the guy getting all the criticism this year.

Somebody has to be the goat now that Hecht has left the building, I'm betting on a DB or one of the coordinators.
Donny C

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »

Somebody has to be the goat now that Hecht has left the building, I'm betting on a DB or one of the coordinators.

"goat" now = "greatest of all time."
Pigskin

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2020, 09:03:13 PM »

Darvin has been in the CFL since 2013. He has had two 1000 yard seasons and has never played a full 18 game season. I have never considered him among the elite receivers in the CFL. But I consider him as a leader and a solid receiver with excellent blocking skills. Darvin drop a few more balls last year then normal. I still think he has game left in him and at $140,000 I like it's a fair deal for both sides.  
dd

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2020, 02:04:00 AM »

I dunno, he seemed to click with Collaros?a last minute TD to beat Calgary comes to mind. I think we ll see more of that this season
theaardvark

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2020, 02:54:22 AM »

Darvin has been in the CFL since 2013. He has had two 1000 yard seasons and has never played a full 18 game season. I have never considered him among the elite receivers in the CFL. But I consider him as a leader and a solid receiver with excellent blocking skills. Darvin drop a few more balls last year then normal. I still think he has game left in him and at $140,000 I like it's a fair deal for both sides.  

Davaris Daniels hasn't played more than 13 games in a season, and never broached 900 yards.  He got $200k...

Pigskin

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2020, 03:44:40 AM »

So what's your point.
DM83

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2020, 09:05:50 AM »

What was that guys name who was an a-hole receiver. He played for BC last year. He is Chris Carters son.?
He'd be entertaining.  Give us lots to talk about.

Plus we need to sign an over-hyped all world big mouth.  He would take the focus off our good receivers. Annoy defensive co-ordonators, and ......well ok, that would be his contribution. 

Marijuana Is legal, and the Bombers could market to an entirely different demographic.......hey we need another receiver....come on!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2020, 02:26:16 PM »

What was that guys name who was an a-hole receiver. He played for BC last year. He is Chris Carters son.?
He'd be entertaining.  Give us lots to talk about.

Plus we need to sign an over-hyped all world big mouth.  He would take the focus off our good receivers. Annoy defensive co-ordonators, and ......well ok, that would be his contribution. 

Marijuana Is legal, and the Bombers could market to an entirely different demographic.......hey we need another receiver....come on!

Duron Carter would likely never fit here.

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2020, 02:34:41 PM »

Duron Carter would likely never fit here.
Not MOS's kinda guy....nope!!   He seemed to have limitless talents however he wasn't a factor with B.C. last season.   Not sure why?

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
GCn19

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »

Not MOS's kinda guy....nope!!   He seemed to have limitless talents however he wasn't a factor with B.C. last season.   Not sure why?

Because his attitude sucks.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »

Because his attitude sucks.

Oodles of natural talent but a loathsome, me-first attitude overshadows it. Hard pass.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
theaardvark

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2020, 03:36:43 PM »

With Chronic now legal, would he be easier to handle, kept fully medicated all the time? 

Still think he makes a far better DB than a WR, but hey...

Pass

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2020, 03:44:33 PM »

With Chronic now legal, would he be easier to handle, kept fully medicated all the time? 

Still think he makes a far better DB than a WR, but hey...

Pass

Did Chris Jones get into your account here? That's just ridiculous and completely false. He had one good game as a DB a few years ago. There's a reason he was revereted back to receiver and never played on defense again.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:46:50 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
theaardvark

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2020, 04:31:44 PM »

Did Chris Jones get into your account here? That's just ridiculous and completely false. He had one good game as a DB a few years ago. There's a reason he was revereted back to receiver and never played on defense again.

Pretty sure his last NFL look was at DB, but what do they know in the NFL... its a feeder league to the CFL, right?

His predilection for WR might stem from his father...  I'm not sure if his dad would approve of him as a DB over following his footsteps as a WR...   wondering why he isn't in the XFL, he doesn't need teh money, he needs exposure.  Maybe McMahon nixed him too, like Manzeil, as a "bad actor"

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »

Pretty sure his last NFL look was at DB, but what do they know in the NFL...

Pretty sure you're wrong but remind me again of his NFL career. That's definitely noteworthy...

Stats show he's a far better receiver than defender. The only reason Jones moved him to DB was because of injuries to the Riders' secondary. It was a failed experiment. Why you've yet taken the stance of "contrarian of common sense" is rather odd, especially as it pertains to a player we'll never see here.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2020, 09:10:53 PM »

Yup that's how this place works.

Pigskin

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2020, 10:13:38 PM »

Yup that's how this place works.

Come on have some respect, don't be so negative.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2020, 11:04:26 PM »

He'd be entertaining. Give us lots to talk about

Pretty sure DM83 has the <sarc> tag on there...  Cool Shocked Grin

dd

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2020, 12:50:52 AM »

So what's your point.
The point is he s getting a Brian Burnham salary but not playing anywhere near that level to command that type of salary. For $200,000 who would you sign?? The answer is bloody obvious. This wreaks of a Nik Moore type deal where we sign a #2 inconsistent re river to #1 money and expect him to be a #1 receiver. Can?t be what you?re not regardless of how much you pay him. That?s the point.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2020, 03:06:18 AM »

Come on have some respect, don't be so negative.

I see what you did there.   Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: