Blue Bombers Forum
December 05, 2020, 04:50:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agency - Discussion on Signings by the Blue Bombers  (Read 18657 times)
the paw

« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »

Your memory is skewed, once they determined that Hurl was the ratio solution they stubbornly stood their ground and did nothing to alter the situation for the remainder of the season, not ever acknowledging there was a problem.  Once the season began they didn't bring anyone else in, didn't make any trades or experiment with different Natls. in different positions, they stuck to their faulty guns through to the last bullet.  I think this episode more than anything cemented O'Shea's reputation for devil-dog stubbornness and loyalty, happily he seems to have mellowed with age.....at least a little bit.

In fairness, I think they knew they wanted to get better at MLB, but they defended Hurl because that is what you do for your players.  And we had way fewer options for national starters at the time. 

But I agree, that Hurl is not the best example.  Loffler was a better example of someone who caused them to change their ratio calculations mid-season.

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2020, 05:08:37 PM »

Your memory is skewed, once they determined that Hurl was the ratio solution they stubbornly stood their ground and did nothing to alter the situation for the remainder of the season, not ever acknowledging there was a problem.  Once the season began they didn't bring anyone else in, didn't make any trades or experiment with different Natls. in different positions, they stuck to their faulty guns through to the last bullet.  I think this episode more than anything cemented O'Shea's reputation for devil-dog stubbornness and loyalty, happily he seems to have mellowed with age.....at least a little bit.

That offseason Kyle Walters was on record that the Bombers were going to go with an IMP at MLBer. When they took a look at their ratio options in TC the original plan was ditched and Hurl was handed the MLBer spot instead. Prior to that the Bombers had strongly hinted it would be a battle between Knox and Wild.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:17:15 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2020, 05:17:33 PM »

In fairness, I think they knew they wanted to get better at MLB, but they defended Hurl because that is what you do for your players.  And we had way fewer options for national starters at the time. 

But I agree, that Hurl is not the best example.  Loffler was a better example of someone who caused them to change their ratio calculations mid-season.

Trying to recall what the ratio mix was back then, they had Jake, Westerman, Hurl and Loffler but the requirement for a Natl. playing the D side couldn't have been more than 2 or 3.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2020, 05:19:41 PM »

That offseason Kyle Walters was on record that the Bombers were going to go with an IMP at MLBer. When they took a look at their ratio options in TC the original plan was ditched and Hurl was handed the MLBer spot instead. Prior to that the Bombers had strongly hinted it would be a battle between Knox and Wild.

Right, we were expecting Kyle Knox to assume the position as he had been with the club the year prior and Wild wasn't big enough to play the MLB position well, the same for Bass.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:26:47 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GCn19

« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »

Right, we were expecting Kyle Knox to assume the position as he had been with the club the year prior and Wild wasn't big enough to play the MLB position well, the same for Bass.

Yep. Knox did kind of lay a turd sandwich that camp too, so that made the choice a bit easier to digest I guess. I believe the orginal plan was Ekakitie/Thomas at DT and Knox at MLB. When the NAT DTs underwhelmed in TC they rejigged it and gave the job to Hurl for another year.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2020, 06:48:08 PM »

Yep. Knox did kind of lay a turd sandwich that camp too, so that made the choice a bit easier to digest I guess. I believe the orginal plan was Ekakitie/Thomas at DT and Knox at MLB. When the NAT DTs underwhelmed in TC they rejigged it and gave the job to Hurl for another year.

People tend to forget that Hurl was the MLB his first year in Wpg. but got relegated to playing only ST for his entire second year while Wild and Bass took a crack at the job.  That is why it was so disturbing when they returned him to starting MLB in his 3rd year.  Sam was great to have on the roster as a backup MLB and ST'er as he still is, but not a player to rely on as a starter. 
GCn19

« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2020, 06:51:27 PM »

People tend to forget that Hurl was the MLB his first year in Wpg. but got relegated to playing only ST for his entire second year while Wild and Bass took a crack at the job.  That is why it was so disturbing when they returned him to starting MLB in his 3rd year.  Sam was great to have on the roster as a backup MLB and ST'er as he still is, but not a player to rely on as a starter. 

For sure. It was a huge surprise at the time that the Bombers put him back at starting MLBer after that ship had seemingly sailed.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: