Blue Bombers Forum
April 02, 2020, 11:40:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agency - Discussion on Signings by the Blue Bombers  (Read 8987 times)
Nic16

« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2020, 09:51:55 PM »

Either that, or if they can get him down to an acceptable number they are prepared to let another veteran go.

Walters has already stated we have commitments basically to the cap.  Keeping Jefferson cost us Nevis and Roh.  Probably worth it, but the connection is clear.

If Walters could get Walker at $200k on the strength of other intangibles, then someone else has to go.  There really isn't any fat among the receivers, and Harris is untouchable.  Maybe if you cut Whitehead and Neufeld loose you could swing it.

From what Walters stated at his recent presser it sounded more like Alexander?s play @ Safety was the reason they decided to go NAT + Amerc @ DT. Then IMO, it came down to Richardon?s cost/value vs Nevis.

With Roh, I believe Hansen?s play + BB interest in Antigha or using a rookie (ie, McCalister) vs Roh?s cost/value was the reason for not re-signing him.

All that said, IF the BB were to sign Walker I would think dealing an OL (possibly @ the draft) would come into play...and if needed you could cut JFG in TC to help cover some of Walker?s SMS hit.
dd

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2020, 09:53:17 PM »

IMO we need a MLB more. If we cut Bighill he will be snapped up by a team right away and who do we get as a MLB?
Agree we need a strong MLB, also agree he had a ho hum 2019 season, yet we still win the cup. Not sure if greenwood would be any cheaper than biggie but I want a top knotch MLB, we all remember the Hurl-filling-holes-doing his job days and they stunk
GCn19

« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2020, 12:52:31 AM »

I really don't think keeping Jefferson is what cost us Nevis as much as it was keeping Alexander at safety.

Agreed. If rumors of him being 85k last year are true then it was a ratio move that had the added benefit of creating 40 or 50k of SMS room. Roh likely around the same.

People keep saying we can't get Walker without cutting someone but i see no reason why. Also, glossed over is the 70k signing bonus we gave Matthews last year up front. Thats extra funds we have added back to the SMS.

I also suspect that we paid most of Yoshi and Wolitarsky's salary for this year on last year's SMS. Nichols injury opened up a ton of cap room for us to take advantage of.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:03:40 AM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2020, 01:01:18 AM »

If we get Walker, you can start Walker at WR and Adams as DI.  Both Adams and Walker would be allowed to sub in for injured Demski or Woli (or 3rd NAT starter if we go 3 NAT rec), because they are both FAKENATs.  That's intriguing as one of our NAT receivers will invariably get injured during the year.  To say it another way, either Walker or Adams as the DI could injury-sub in for every single WR/SB/RB on O.

How would you like to see 3 quarters with the lineup: Adams, Bailey, Demski, Lawler, Walker... with them counting as 2 NATs? (ignoring DEFANATs)

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
GCn19

« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2020, 01:05:04 AM »

If we get Walker, you can start Walker at WR and Adams as DI.  Both Adams and Walker would be allowed to sub in for injured Demski or Woli (or 3rd NAT starter if we go 3 NAT rec), because they are both FAKENATs.  That's intriguing as one of our NAT receivers will invariably get injured during the year.  To say it another way, either Walker or Adams as the DI could injury-sub in for every single WR/SB/RB on O.

How would you like to see 3 quarters with the lineup: Adams, Bailey, Demski, Lawler, Walker... with them counting as 2 NATs? (ignoring DEFANATs)

I dont think we are going 3 NAT receiver.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
the paw

« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2020, 01:37:17 AM »

This may possibly be the most chuckleheaded  idea you have come up with to date.

There is no way you drop $140k on Adams to dress him as a DI who can freely substitute for Wolitarsky and Demski who each missed one game last year, especially when Peterman is begging for reps.

You might want to let go of the FakeNat thing for awhile, its skewing your perspective.

grab grass 'n growl
DM83

« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2020, 03:37:22 AM »

Fakenats vs  defenats ...*** has this world come to.
booch

« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2020, 05:21:05 AM »

Signing of Walker could mean it just cuts into the available cash for any NFL returner which would be the most likely scenario. And smartest. Or hope a returnee will give us maybe a home town deal

Listening to Walter's he said pretty much used up..didnt say it was all accounted for, and there quite possibly is some left as since he said that we picked up Antigha and now in on Walker
123James321

« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »

Im ok with releasing some guys to fit walker under the cap. He is a game changer, and our offense would be pretty much unstoppable.
Blue In BC

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2020, 01:55:06 PM »

Im ok with releasing some guys to fit walker under the cap. He is a game changer, and our offense would be pretty much unstoppable.

Sounds easy but it's not. WHO would you be willing to cut?

I'd love to have D. Walker but honestly I'd rather sign a top CB. We're not sure how that is going to look in 2020.

No more excuses.
bigbuff33

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2020, 03:07:28 PM »

That's a good problem to potentially have to solve...

Remember...our scouts have been doing a great job the last few seasons finding players...

Having so much of our Grey Cup Championship team back...players taking less to stay here...

We're in a great postiion right now.
theaardvark

« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2020, 03:40:05 PM »

Or Biggie.......had a bad year last yr.. Based on last year, he could be replaceable.
Of course cutting out part of your heart would be idiotic.  But it's pro sports.  What do we need more?
An average MLB. Or a superior receiver?

Lol... I actually thought I needed to respond to this, and then I saw the name...

Average MLB?  I know you aren't saying Biggie is an average MLB.  So are you saying is it worth it to downgrade at MLB (a position integral in Every Defensive Play) so that we can get a guy who may improve our O incrementally, touching the ball on 10 plays a game?

That's not taking into account the Heart issue...

Not even a blink of a consideration...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2020, 03:47:22 PM »

I really don't think there is a player under contract we'd consider cutting to bring in Walker.  If we can fit him in under our current cap (which the lenghth of this "negotiation" seems to be suggesting they are trying), then have at er. 

We lost a few good players due to cap, sure, and some to the NFL.  But we retained our nucleus.  Nevis and Roh are hard ones to take, but Richardson and Hansen are not a huge downgrade on field, and a big cost savings. 

Signing Willie didn't cost us Nevis and Roh, if Richardson and Hansen were not performing at the levels they are, we re-sign Nevis and Roh. 

Just like last year, Biggie's deal didn't cost us Santos-Knox, Kyrie Wilson's play did.   If Wilson isn't playing at the level he was, they re-sign JSK. 

Scouts have been amazing at landing us the raw materials to succeed with succession plans.  And the coaches have been great at grooming that talent into CFL players.

Team effort, from the top down...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:56:52 PM by theaardvark » Logged

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2020, 08:15:36 PM »

This may possibly be the most chuckleheaded  idea you have come up with to date.

There is no way you drop $140k on Adams to dress him as a DI who can freely substitute for Wolitarsky and Demski who each missed one game last year, especially when Peterman is begging for reps.

You might want to let go of the FakeNat thing for awhile, its skewing your perspective.

You may be right.  However, say we do sign Walker... that leaves Lawler or or 2nd IMP (Bailey lately) on the bench.  Neither is FAKENAT eligible.  That's the stupid part of the new rules... you get the most flexibility if your DI is a vet FAKENAT as he can come in for any player on injury.  If all your DI receivers and DBs are young'ns then you gain nothing.  And since most teams have the young'ns as their depth, it's all a bit bass-ackwards.

I think you're right, I'm too wrapped up in over-thinking the FAKENAT thing, especially since my guess is KW/MOS hardly change a thing to take advantage of it.  It's the other teams that I think will get creative and optimize their FAKENAT usage.  The key tell will be if teams sign ageing underperforming IMPs (think Arceneaux, A.Bowman, C.Matthews, Rainey on O) on the cheap and dress them as DIs.  If those ageing guys are still better than your realNAT depth, as is the case on nearly every team except WPG, then you can really win by exploiting the new rules.  I'll try to not think about it as much...

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2020, 11:18:59 PM »

Here's the roster rule for 2020 based on the CFL website:

Maximum of 2 QBs (no designation)
Maximum of 20 American players (4 of which must be identified as designated Americans)
Minimum of 21 National players
Minimum of 2 Global players

So for the bombers in depth would be something like
1 QB - Collaros
2 QB - McGuire
3 RB - Harris (NAT1)
4 RB - Augustine (NAT2)
5 RB - Olivera (NAT3)
6 FB - Miller (NAT4)
7 FB - Rush (NAT5)
8 OL - Bryant (AMR)
9 OL - Hardrick (AMR)
10 OL - Couture (NAT6)
11 OL - DesJarlais (NAT7)
12 OL - Neufeld (NAT8)

13 OL - Speller (NAT9)
14 OL - Eli (NAT10)
15 SB - Demski (NAT11)
16 SB - Walker (AMR)
17 WR - Wolitarski (NAT12)
18 WR - Adams (AMR)
19 WR - Lawler (AMR)
20 SB - Petermann (NAT13)
21 WR/KR - Grant (DI1)

22 K/P - Medlock (DI2)
23 LS - Rempel (NAT14)

24 DE - Jefferson (AMR)
25 DT - Richardson (AMR)
26 DT - Thomas (NAT15)
27 DE - Jeffcoat (AMR)
28 DE/LB - Antigua (DI3)
29 DL - Random Canadian (NAT16)
30 DE - Hansen (GLO1)
31 LB - Bighill (AMR)
32 LB - Wilson (AMR)
33 SAM - Maston (AMR)
34 LB - Miles (NAT17)
35 LB - Briggs (NAT18)
36 LB - Gauthier (NAT19)
37 HB - Johnson (AMR)
38 HB - Taylor (AMR)
39 CB - Jones (AMR)
40 CB - Rookie American (AMR)
41 DB - Rookie American (DI4)
42 S - Alexander (AMR)
43 S - Exume (NAT20)
44 S - Hallett (NAT 21)
45 DB - Random Global (GLO2)

This would leave Feoli-Gudino, Gray, Whitehead, Bailey, Nelson on the outside looking in. But it would be a reasonable enough roster with Walker as a starter.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: