Blue Bombers Forum
September 29, 2020, 03:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agency - Discussion on Signings by the Blue Bombers  (Read 15424 times)
the paw

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2020, 03:02:56 PM »

Cheapest guy with experience? OK.

SMS? I don't believe we couldn't have afforded a higher ranked DB than Josh.

Johnson may yet surprise me, but this is a fan forum, we talk about all the signings good and bad before they actually play for us.

I agree with you that Johnson is a downgrade from Rose, but anybody would be, Rose was freaking amazing last year.

But Johnson will likely work out fine.  Any DB that has played as a starter on several CFL teams and gotten a serious NFL look has the potential to fit in and do well.  We have recycled Maston, Taylor and Gainor with great success, and I think the Bombers have a real knack for evaluating DBs and finding ones that fit in our system. 

I am curious as to whether they play Johnson at DHB or on the corner. I am not 100% sold on Mike Jones, and would prefer to leave him at field corner until I see more. 

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »

I agree with you that Johnson is a downgrade from Rose, but anybody would be, Rose was freaking amazing last year.

But Johnson will likely work out fine.  Any DB that has played as a starter on several CFL teams and gotten a serious NFL look has the potential to fit in and do well.  We have recycled Maston, Taylor and Gainor with great success, and I think the Bombers have a real knack for evaluating DBs and finding ones that fit in our system. 

I am curious as to whether they play Johnson at DHB or on the corner. I am not 100% sold on Mike Jones, and would prefer to leave him at field corner until I see more. 

Not too worried about Johnson, I didn't know anything about Taylor or Maston before they were brought in last year, and they've worked out well.  Fall back position, if he doesn't make the grade he'll be dealt with in T.C., no fuss.
blue_or_die

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2020, 04:32:00 PM »

I've seen you write this name a few times...just to be clear, you mean Anthony Gaitor, right?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2020, 05:10:46 PM »

There were 7 or 8 better DB's available according to 3rdownnation. Johnson wasn't one of the 4 DB's on the all free agent team that was put together. I didn't expect an upgrade. I didn't want such a big downgrade either. We chose Johnson. We could have done better.

I guess you think calling me a Rider fan, when you know I'm not, gets under my skin. It doesn't It just makes me roll my eyes. I guess you expected me to love the Jefferson signing, although I didn't see you post that you did.

You realize Hodge does those rankings at 3DN right?

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
the paw

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2020, 06:33:04 PM »

I've seen you write this name a few times...just to be clear, you mean Anthony Gaitor, right?

Yes, it must be some sort of mental block, cause I keep doing it....

grab grass 'n growl
TBURGESS

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2020, 07:15:58 PM »

CFL free agent rankings: defensive backs - John Hodge - Ranked 8th (5 DB's signed in the NFL, which in my mind at least, puts them above Josh.)
The 2020 CFL All-Free Agent Team - Jamie Nye - Not on
CFL.ca?s top 30 pending free agents - determined by a panel of CFL.ca staff and analysts - Not on

I didn't find a single article that puts Josh Johnson higher than Hodge did. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Nic16

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2020, 07:28:52 PM »

CFL free agent rankings: defensive backs - John Hodge - Ranked 8th (5 DB's signed in the NFL, which in my mind at least, puts them above Josh.)
The 2020 CFL All-Free Agent Team - Jamie Nye - Not on
CFL.ca?s top 30 pending free agents - determined by a panel of CFL.ca staff and analysts - Not on

I didn't find a single article that puts Josh Johnson higher than Hodge did. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

This MIGHT make you feel a wee bit better...

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/02/14/nye-sneaky-good-signings-fa20/
TBURGESS

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »

This MIGHT make you feel a wee bit better...

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/02/14/nye-sneaky-good-signings-fa20/
From the article:
Josh Johnson lands in Winnipeg from Edmonton and fills some of the void left by Winston Rose and Marcus Sayles, who took off to the NFL after winning the Grey Cup.

Johnson is an excellent defender and helps Mike O?Shea and defensive coordinator Richie Hall try to patch up some of the holes they have in the secondary. Johnson is not only one of the most underrated free agent signings but also one of the most underrated and least talked about defensive backs in the league.

Nye seems to like him, just not as much as the 4 DB's he chose for his all free agent team.

theaardvark

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2020, 08:17:15 PM »

From the article:
Nye seems to like him, just not as much as the 4 DB's he chose for his all free agent team.

Sneaky signing, underrated and least talked about... usually means he's a hard worker and not a showboat.  Sounds right for this team...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2020, 07:23:13 AM »

Sneaky signing, underrated and least talked about... usually means he's a hard worker and not a showboat.  Sounds right for this team...
We signed a cheap option who is high floor, low ceiling and was an affordable option, don't make this something its not
TBURGESS

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »

We signed a cheap option who is high floor, low ceiling and was an affordable option, don't make this something its not
I agree and 'something it's not' is a viable replacement for Rose.

RicoBeBlue

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2020, 05:09:29 PM »

Reading our BBs are trying to hook a big one...

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/15/bombers-recruiting-star-receiver-derel-walker/

If this does pan out, could be big.

Some drink deeply from the river of knowledge. Others only gargle. : Woody Allen
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2020, 05:21:05 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/15/bombers-recruiting-star-receiver-derel-walker/

The dream is alive!!!
blueraid

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2020, 05:29:25 PM »

Talk about a sneaky over the top signing....Walters the old fox is trying to hit one out of the park and IF he can bring in Walker ...WOW
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »

terrific  he would be a a valued addition!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: