Blue Bombers Forum
February 27, 2020, 03:18:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agency - Discussion on Signings by the Blue Bombers  (Read 6163 times)
TBURGESS

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2020, 07:16:54 PM »

Rose was on his 3rd team...in 3 yrs...whats the point again??
Rose was a young guy on his way up. Johnson isn't.

3rd team in 3 years doesn't equal 5th team in 6 years, even if you want to pretend they are the same thing.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
booch

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2020, 07:27:44 PM »

Rose was a young guy on his way up. Johnson isn't.

3rd team in 3 years doesn't equal 5th team in 6 years, even if you want to pretend they are the same thing.
Well why wasn't Rose retained on the other teams?..did those teams not value him?...and you make it sound like Johnson is an old guy on the downside of his career..had 2 solid seasons in B.C (2014 and 2015)..parlayed that into the NFL thing in (2016 and 2017) for a couple years landed in Ottawa and had a falling out with staff there and was scooped up by Hamilton....then as free agent went to Edm....had a solid year there, and this off-season was rated as a top cover guy by so called CFL experts..so maybe the fine coaching here propels him to even higher standards...the 5 teams in 6 years is somewhat a misleading point to make...its not like he was discarded..plus stuck in NFL for 3 season's in some capacity..
Jesse

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2020, 07:37:27 PM »

Well why wasn't Rose retained on the other teams?..did those teams not value him?...and you make it sound like Johnson is an old guy on the downside of his career..had 2 solid seasons in B.C (2014 and 2015)..parlayed that into the NFL thing in (2016 and 2017) for a couple years landed in Ottawa and had a falling out with staff there and was scooped up by Hamilton....then as free agent went to Edm....had a solid year there, and this off-season was rated as a top cover guy by so called CFL experts..so maybe the fine coaching here propels him to even higher standards...the 5 teams in 6 years is somewhat a misleading point to make...its not like he was discarded..plus stuck in NFL for 3 season's in some capacity..

I don't think Tburg is trying to suggest Johnson is a bum, simply that, at this point in his career, we probably shouldn't expect a huge statistical bump in stats like we saw with Rose.

My wife is amazing!
GCn19

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »

Antigha is a very solid add. He can easily play both DE and WIL and is an excellent STer.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
booch

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2020, 09:51:36 PM »

I don't think Tburg is trying to suggest Johnson is a bum, simply that, at this point in his career, we probably shouldn't expect a huge statistical bump in stats like we saw with Rose.

Yeah never meant to imply he said he was a bum...but he did come from a team that led the league in fewest passing yards gave up..fewest completions..3rd best in explosion plays...so obvious he has some skills...just need to keep on keeping on, and with the apparent benefit of the coaching we get from Younger and Hall, and their apparent ability to make get guys to improve (as stated by our gys in the NFL now) I see no reason that he can't improve at still just 29
TBURGESS

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »

Rose is a 6 ft, 26 year old CFL all star who is getting an NFL shot. In 2016 & '17 he was on the Argos then the redblacks PR's, playing 4 games in '17. 2018 first year as a starter in BC, he tied for most picks in the league at 5 (The number Josh has in his entire CFL career). I don't know why Toronto, Ottawa or BC didn't keep him.

Johnson is a 5'9", 29 year old CFL journeyman. Not an all star.  Ottawa released Josh on July 17, 2018. Hamilton picked him up a month later August 19, 2018 and let him go to FA at the end of the year. Edmonton signed him in May 2019 well after most FA's got signed. Doesn't sound like a must sign guy who everyone wants to me.

Rose was better last year than Johnson and I doubt that Johnson is getting any better.

Johnson was ranked as the 8th best FA DB in the league by 3DownNation that's at least 9 spots lower than Rose would be ranked. He doesn't show up on the CFL.CA's top 30 free agents. Who are the CFL experts who ranked him as a top cover guy?

All of the above lead  me to believe that Johnson is a downgrade over Rose. That's not the same as calling Johnson crap. I hope/expect that we got him cheap, so there's that I guess.

jdrattops

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2020, 12:35:33 AM »

Rose is a 6 ft, 26 year old CFL all star who is getting an NFL shot. In 2016 & '17 he was on the Argos then the redblacks PR's, playing 4 games in '17. 2018 first year as a starter in BC, he tied for most picks in the league at 5 (The number Josh has in his entire CFL career). I don't know why Toronto, Ottawa or BC didn't keep him.

Johnson is a 5'9", 29 year old CFL journeyman. Not an all star.  Ottawa released Josh on July 17, 2018. Hamilton picked him up a month later August 19, 2018 and let him go to FA at the end of the year. Edmonton signed him in May 2019 well after most FA's got signed. Doesn't sound like a must sign guy who everyone wants to me.

Rose was better last year than Johnson and I doubt that Johnson is getting any better.

Johnson was ranked as the 8th best FA DB in the league by 3DownNation that's at least 9 spots lower than Rose would be ranked. He doesn't show up on the CFL.CA's top 30 free agents. Who are the CFL experts who ranked him as a top cover guy?

All of the above lead  me to believe that Johnson is a downgrade over Rose. That's not the same as calling Johnson crap. I hope/expect that we got him cheap, so there's that I guess.

Anybody the Bombers would have signed to fill in Rose? spot was going to be a down grade.  It?s hard to upgrade the best player at the position from last season.  But no one expects any different response from the resident Rider fan.
DM83

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2020, 03:12:39 AM »

One mans. Garbage is another ones treasure.
... different system
Hey who is'our DC?
kkc60

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2020, 03:26:56 AM »

Anybody the Bombers would have signed to fill in Rose? spot was going to be a down grade.  It?s hard to upgrade the best player at the position from last season.  But no one expects any different response from the resident Rider fan.
There are and were better DBs available... we just couldn't afford em.

I'm happy with Johnson. I also like some of our recruits
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2020, 01:44:19 PM »

Antigha is a very solid add. He can easily play both DE and WIL and is an excellent STer.

Agreed. A solid, versatile addition to the team.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Nic16

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2020, 02:09:33 PM »

And he?s played some Safety in a pinch. An ideal DI.

4 DI?s: Medlock, Grant, Antigha, ??
TBURGESS

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »

There were 7 or 8 better DB's available according to 3rdownnation. Johnson wasn't one of the 4 DB's on the all free agent team that was put together. I didn't expect an upgrade. I didn't want such a big downgrade either. We chose Johnson. We could have done better.

I guess you think calling me a Rider fan, when you know I'm not, gets under my skin. It doesn't It just makes me roll my eyes. I guess you expected me to love the Jefferson signing, although I didn't see you post that you did.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »

We chose Johnson. We could have done better. 

Maybe. Perhaps Johnson was the best fit based on the team's SMS situation. We also at present have no idea how Johnson will fit in this defense, so you may want to pump the brakes just a bit until we actually see him play here.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
TBURGESS

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2020, 02:38:32 PM »

Maybe. Perhaps Johnson was the best fit based on the team's SMS situation. We also at present have no idea how Johnson will fit in this defense, so you may want to pump the brakes just a bit until we actually see him play here.
Cheapest guy with experience? OK.

SMS? I don't believe we couldn't have afforded a higher ranked DB than Josh.

Johnson may yet surprise me, but this is a fan forum, we talk about all the signings good and bad before they actually play for us.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »

SMS? I don't believe we couldn't have afforded a higher ranked DB than Josh. 

Sigh... Yes, I know you'll believe whatever you want to justify your disappointment here. I'm just saying maybe try tempering that disappointment a bit until he actually plays a game in blue and gold.

My point regarding the SMS is we don't know how Walters has structured his for 2020. For all we know he has set money aside for Rose and/or Sayles who may not even stick in the NFL and have agreed to return here if their NFL aspirations don't pan out. I'll hazard a guess in saying that could be why Walters "cheaped out" by going after an affordable DB with experience as opposed to a bigger fish worth more money.

FWIW, I don't know if anyone currently available in free agency could replace either Rose or Sayles on equal terms. There's a reason those two got looks down south.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:00:40 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: