Blue Bombers Forum
December 05, 2020, 05:06:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agency - Discussion on Signings by the Blue Bombers  (Read 18659 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2020, 08:46:54 PM »

People keep mentioning this but did Walters explicitly say that Alexander is penciled in as the safety next year or did he just say that he did a really good job when placed there last year? (Serious question, I didn't see this presser).

It is hard for me to imagine putting our most talented DB at the position most easily filled. Seems like a bit of a waste.

Here is a link to the interview, judge for yourself.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/02/11/kyle-walters-free-agency-update-3/
Blue In BC

« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2020, 08:48:08 PM »

People keep mentioning this but did Walters explicitly say that Alexander is penciled in as the safety next year or did he just say that he did a really good job when placed there last year? (Serious question, I didn't see this presser).

It is hard for me to imagine putting our most talented DB at the position most easily filled. Seems like a bit of a waste.

There is no doubt Alexander can play at safety if we choose to go that direction. The possible issue is whether we have enough Canadian depth at DT behind Thomas. Griffith hasn't played a game yet and we don't really know his upside. Losing Kongbo took away the 2nd Canadian that could rotate on the DL even though he did that at DE.

And yes it seems a waste of our most experienced DB to leave him at safety.

Another Canadian DL might still be added before TC.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2020, 01:35:05 AM »

There is no doubt Alexander can play at safety if we choose to go that direction. The possible issue is whether we have enough Canadian depth at DT behind Thomas. Griffith hasn't played a game yet and we don't really know his upside. Losing Kongbo took away the 2nd Canadian that could rotate on the DL even though he did that at DE.

And yes it seems a waste of our most experienced DB to leave him at safety.

Another Canadian DL might still be added before TC.

Went through the entire F.A. list of available Natl. D-linemen and here s what's left. 

WESTERMAN Jamaal
MRABURE Ese
TURNER Junior
WESTERMAN Jabar
JOSEPH Jesse
MARSHALL Andrew
GODIN  Edward

I don't think they'll be bringing in any of these players but the ratio solution may still be available in another position. 

Still think they should have gone all in on Courtney Stephen.
Pigskin

« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2020, 02:56:33 AM »

I would like to see us get another Canadian DT. Jabar Westerman mite be that guy at the right price.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2020, 03:47:19 AM »

I would like to see us get another Canadian DT. Jabar Westerman mite be that guy at the right price.

They already have Griffiths so adding Jabar W. wouldn't really increase the ratio flexibility, they need to be able to pop in another Natl. at a different position without causing too much damage, perhaps Briggs, Exhume or Hallett could fill that role temporarily if needed.
Pigskin

« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2020, 04:42:32 AM »

If we are going to start Thomas at DT, which we are. I would like to see a little more depth at that position other then Griffiths who hasn't had any playing time in the CFL.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:44:58 AM by Pigskin » Logged
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2020, 05:05:33 AM »

If we are going to start Thomas at DT, which we are. I would like to see a little more depth at that position other then Griffiths who hasn't had any playing time in the CFL.

That is what the draft is for.
Pigskin

« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2020, 05:10:45 AM »

That is what the draft is for.

I was thinking a player with a little more experience in the CFL.
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2020, 11:56:34 AM »

I was thinking a player with a little more experience in the CFL.

It order to gain experience, you need to be given a chance to gain experience.  Many starters in the league are backed up by rookies.
GCn19

« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »

It order to gain experience, you need to be given a chance to gain experience.  Many starters in the league are backed up by rookies.

It's not ideal to have to rely on rookies to play big roles on any team. However, you are right that we could potentially draft one capable of doing so. It's risky to bank on that though and especially when you don't have a first round pick.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2020, 01:29:33 PM »

The problem is that Thomas himself is not a full time starter-quality DT, and so in order to be effective, he needs heavy rotation. Thus, we are essentially asking a rookie to be a "part time starter", given the way we rotate constantly on DL. If Griffiths is capable of filling that role effectively, no problem. But it is a risk because we don't know that.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2020, 01:42:43 PM »

The problem is that Thomas himself is not a full time starter-quality DT, and so in order to be effective, he needs heavy rotation. Thus, we are essentially asking a rookie to be a "part time starter", given the way we rotate constantly on DL. If Griffiths is capable of filling that role effectively, no problem. But it is a risk because we don't know that.

Just the thought right now of this years defense based on Thomas as the starting D-tackle, with??? backing him up is un-easy feeling and almost a let down from the previous years success story...Now maybe if we had Laing as the starter, with Jake in his usual role it would be a bit easier to stomach, but even then would have much preferred us going the National at safety, and plugging the interior with Richardson and another monster...long way till TC and things can change, and I don't totally buy Walter's with his comment on shifting the ratio to have a national on the line, but time will tell
Blue In BC

« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2020, 02:07:13 PM »

Getting someone like Laing to start at DT would have been ideal. It wasn't in the cards. Griffith is a giant question mark. He may have good upside but is he capable of heavy rotation this year? That's the question.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »

Just the thought right now of this years defense based on Thomas as the starting D-tackle, with??? backing him up is un-easy feeling and almost a let down from the previous years success story...Now maybe if we had Laing as the starter, with Jake in his usual role it would be a bit easier to stomach, but even then would have much preferred us going the National at safety, and plugging the interior with Richardson and another monster...long way till TC and things can change, and I don't totally buy Walter's with his comment on shifting the ratio to have a national on the line, but time will tell

It would not be the first time that the Bombers switched their ratio plans before/during camp. Anyone remember Hurl "winning" the MLB position a few years ago in TC when we were told it was going to be an IMP? Or Taylor Loffler having a strong camp and unseating the dude from Saskatchewan after a couple games. If we are not getting the level of play we require from Thomas/Griffith it will not take long before we look elsewhere to make ratio.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »

It would not be the first time that the Bombers switched their ratio plans before/during camp. Anyone remember Hurl "winning" the MLB position a few years ago in TC when we were told it was going to be an IMP? Or Taylor Loffler having a strong camp and unseating the dude from Saskatchewan after a couple games. If we are not getting the level of play we require from Thomas/Griffith it will not take long before we look elsewhere to make ratio.

Your memory is skewed, once they determined that Hurl was the ratio solution they stubbornly stood their ground and did nothing to alter the situation for the remainder of the season, not ever acknowledging there was a problem.  Once the season began they didn't bring anyone else in, didn't make any trades or experiment with different Natls. in different positions, they stuck to their faulty guns through to the last bullet.  I think this episode more than anything cemented O'Shea's reputation for devil-dog stubbornness and loyalty, happily he seems to have mellowed with age.....at least a little bit.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  

Jump to: