Blue Bombers Forum
December 05, 2020, 04:27:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Agency - Discussion on Signings by the Blue Bombers  (Read 18654 times)
GCn19

« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »

Bombers sign LB M. Awe.  Great addition. I'm just not sure how he fits in as far as roster size and DI situation.

I'd say he's an upgrade over Wilson but Wilson is also a very good player.

Adding Awe and Antigua really improves LB depth without a doubt.

I think Wilson is a better WIL than Awe.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2020, 07:07:17 PM »

So how does Awe fit in then? He's more experienced and I'm not sure we can get all these LB's on the roster at the same time.

Awe isn't going to be on an ELC and we signed him for 2 years.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2020, 07:10:42 PM »

I like the signing, great depth at LB now.  Has to be a value signing at this juncture, which is odd, but great.  And what LB wouldn't be jazzed at coming to play for MOS?  Although you have to wonder why he left with Young coming in and Eiben as LB coach...

I'm hoping this isn't a Buff scenario, where we need a contingency plan in case Biggie doesn't start the season.  I thought his injuries were fully rehabbed, his play in the playoffs seemed to suggest that. 

Otherwise, maybe it is a "load management" scenario.  Or maybe we start rotating to a 3 man front with 4 LB's.  Awe does bring a lot to the table in that way, and Jefferson is worth 2 guys on the DLine...  Dline make tackles at or behind the LOS, but if big hitting LB's give up a yard or two in 3 down ball, while making other plays more difficult, maybe...

Regardless, we won't see Biggie cut for SMS reasons.  And we know he won't string the team out like Buff did if there is an issue...

I can assure you with great confidence that Biggie has no lingering injury by seeing him daily at gym..what he's doing, and how he works out...He wouldn't be doing the heavy sled work he does...the range of Jefferson curls with the weight he's using and his squat work with a bad hammy...an even remotely suspect one would have ruptured already...I expect people to see the explosive and game changing Bighill this year
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2020, 07:12:19 PM »

I believe Awe is direct competition for Bighill and the Bombers backup plan at MLB. You aren't going to pay someone top end dollars for middle tier results (at best). You can't move on without someone ready to go. If Bighill returns to 2018 form there won't be a discussion. If he gets hurt again, or is making similar contributions to last year then you might see a tough decision. At the very least, if we're patient, Awe learns the position and they evaluate and decide for 2021 if Biggie's third year is worth picking up. It's certainly hedging our bets I believe.
booch

« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »

I believe Awe is direct competition for Bighill and the Bombers backup plan at MLB. You aren't going to pay someone top end dollars for middle tier results (at best). You can't move on without someone ready to go. If Bighill returns to 2018 form there won't be a discussion. If he gets hurt again, or is making similar contributions to last year then you might see a tough decision. At the very least, if we're patient, Awe learns the position and they evaluate and decide for 2021 if Biggie's third year is worth picking up. It's certainly hedging our bets I believe.

Again...who has said "top dollars"...nobody...and Awe has taken just as many if not more snaps in the Will spot..he is here for direct competition there and the loser becomes Korey Jones...not sure why people are so freaked out by this...Heck we paid 120k for Fenner to ride the pine..as a scratch a lot of games, and I'd be shocked if thats what Awe is getting this late into Free Agency...he's valuable because he can play WILL or MACK
the paw

« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2020, 07:29:52 PM »

Wilson didn't get me as jazzed as Santos-Knox did.  I haven't watched Awe all that closely over the last year, but I don't think Wilson can afford to get complacent. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2020, 07:32:12 PM »

Again...who has said "top dollars"...nobody...and Awe has taken just as many if not more snaps in the Will spot..he is here for direct competition there and the loser becomes Korey Jones...not sure why people are so freaked out by this...Heck we paid 120k for Fenner to ride the pine..as a scratch a lot of games, and I'd be shocked if thats what Awe is getting this late into Free Agency...he's valuable because he can play WILL or MACK

SMS questions aside.

I thought signing Antigua would be the replacement for Korey Jones. Because of his versatility he becomes more valuable being able to rotate at DE, LB and safety.

It's possible we may not need a DB as a DI as a result in order for both Antigua and Awe can make the game day IR. OTOH we're bringing in loads of DB's.

Just guessing but we may be planning a Thomas / Griffith rotation at DB while keeping an import at safety? I had expected Alexander to move back to DHB but now I'm not so sure.

Back to SMS: if we end up signing D. Walker something might have to give. We have depth at Canadian OL so maybe there is an option there.

Lots of variables in the works as usual during the off season.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2020, 07:34:33 PM »

Wilson didn't get me as jazzed as Santos-Knox did.  I haven't watched Awe all that closely over the last year, but I don't think Wilson can afford to get complacent. 

Wilson often seemed invisible. That said, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not unhappy with his play but we've brought in 2 LB's that can play WIL. I'd say Awe is a bigger hitter.

So it's only a question when new players are added.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2020, 07:35:25 PM »

For sure. Wilson will be in a battle for his job. However, Awe brings the big physicality but whiffs on lots of plays. Wilson is not a big hitter but has way more range and is much better form tackler. It will be interesting.

Jesse

« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2020, 07:36:01 PM »

I believe he was referring to Adam Bighill.

My wife is amazing!
GCn19

« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »

Wilson often seemed invisible. That said, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not unhappy with his play but we've brought in 2 LB's that can play WIL. I'd say Awe is a bigger hitter.

So it's only a question when new players are added.

I think Antigha was brought in as a multi purpose player with no real designation other than he can back up at multiple positions and is a very good ST player. Awe is a more of a direct competition for Wilson but can back up nicely at either WIL or MIKE and is also useful for STs.

booch

« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2020, 07:45:30 PM »

SMS questions aside.

I thought signing Antigua would be the replacement for Korey Jones. Because of his versatility he becomes more valuable being able to rotate at DE, LB and safety.

It's possible we may not need a DB as a DI as a result in order for both Antigua and Awe can make the game day IR. OTOH we're bringing in loads of DB's.

Just guessing but we may be planning a Thomas / Griffith rotation at DB while keeping an import at safety? I had expected Alexander to move back to DHB but now I'm not so sure.

Back to SMS: if we end up signing D. Walker something might have to give. We have depth at Canadian OL so maybe there is an option there.

I think we could forego an import db at DI with Antigha on roster, as Alexander would slot to HB or Corner, and Antigha could conceivably go to Safety. He also serves as rotation with Hansen at an END spot and in either scenario one of Wilson or Awe would be the DI that Jones was in last year, which I think would be the best use of our depth on defense.

We have Exume and Hallet also still on roster, possible a draftee DB/or value free agent who will make the cut, and we did run the last part of the season with no actual import DB as a DI last year, so doing it again isn't out of the equation...heck, Awe is fast enough (sub 4.60 forty) so have him thumping as a back-up safety..certainly would have receivers running around with alligator arms

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2020, 07:53:53 PM »

Bighill is making top dollar is what I meant. Production wasn't there last year. Gotta hedge your bets. To put it another way, if you start Awe you can suddenly afford Walker if that's what we wanted to do. I like Bighill, but he's taking up a lot of cap dollars and for that to continue he needs to have a much bigger impact this year. His 61 tackles is the lowest of his career. I know he had some fumbles and picks last year, but to put in perspective it's about 4100 a tackle last year. Too much. Not good value.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:58:25 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2020, 07:59:56 PM »

SMS questions aside.

Walters made it pretty clear Hall and the D coaches loved what Alexander brought at Safety, so I don't expect that to change.  Antigua may add versatility but I doubt we see him at Safety covering speedy Banks.
blue_or_die

« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2020, 08:24:07 PM »

Walters made it pretty clear Hall and the D coaches loved what Alexander brought at Safety, so I don't expect that to change.  Antigua may add versatility but I doubt we see him at Safety covering speedy Banks.

People keep mentioning this but did Walters explicitly say that Alexander is penciled in as the safety next year or did he just say that he did a really good job when placed there last year? (Serious question, I didn't see this presser).

It is hard for me to imagine putting our most talented DB at the position most easily filled. Seems like a bit of a waste.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: